Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Rich Camp

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:32 am

Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 2:34 am

I just bought the Moza Air 2 gimbal but the BMP4K does not fit. I know I have seen videos and reviews of the two together. I contacted Gudsen and they said it would require an adapter they haven't released yet. SO how are people connecting the two already? What setup do you suggest? Thanks
Offline

Cooper

  • Posts: 62
  • Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:46 am
  • Real Name: Jari Keskisalo

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 5:01 am

Don't have either, but I assume it wont fit on the grip side of the camera with short light weight lense so it would need to be at same spot as the gimbal arm to be balanced. On the youtube video they seem to use some "cheese plate" (seems like https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-mount ... -1598.html) to offset the camera also they have the focus servo adding more weight to the front. Now I would try to use at least 2 screws to attach the cheese plate to the gimbal plate if possible, and the camera also someway (1 screw hole 2 pin holes) to the cheese plate so it cannot spin.
Last edited by Cooper on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

Rich Camp

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:32 am

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Thank you! I looked really closely at their video and noticed the cheese plate as well. I don't love the idea of needing a cheese plate on a quick release plate when transferring to other tripods. I am going to try to attach another quick release plate on top for quicker release.
Offline

Keith Babineaux

  • Posts: 113
  • Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:56 pm
  • Location: Miami, FL

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 12:21 am

Rich Camp wrote:Thank you! I looked really closely at their video and noticed the cheese plate as well. I don't love the idea of needing a cheese plate on a quick release plate when transferring to other tripods. I am going to try to attach another quick release plate on top for quicker release.


It's not a cheese plate. It's a Manfrotto 577 Rapid Connect Adapter.
Attachments
IMG_4695.jpg
IMG_4695.jpg (258.92 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
Keith Babineaux | Film Graduate | Full Sail University
Offline

Keith Babineaux

  • Posts: 113
  • Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:56 pm
  • Location: Miami, FL

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 12:22 am

Rich Camp wrote:I just bought the Moza Air 2 gimbal but the BMP4K does not fit. I know I have seen videos and reviews of the two together. I contacted Gudsen and they said it would require an adapter they haven't released yet. SO how are people connecting the two already? What setup do you suggest? Thanks


You can use the Smallrig Cage or the adapter that I posted below. There are only 2 options right now. They both work well.
Keith Babineaux | Film Graduate | Full Sail University
Offline
User avatar

aglyons

  • Posts: 84
  • Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:19 am
  • Real Name: Adrian Lyons

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 12:54 am

as others have said, cheese plate, smallrig or Tilta cage (my Tilta is on preorder). I too have an Air 2. Now looking for the battery adapter to power the P4K from the gimbal. The gimbal too will accept 16v input on the handle so theoretically you could carry a vmount on a belt, power the gimbal with it which will then power the P4K.

The Air 2 also apparently can control the P4K through cam control BUT, if you are recording to SSD the USB is occupied. Looks like it's going to be a one or the other in that respect. But once BRAW comes out for the P4K, the bitrates are not ludicrous, recording to an SD card would not be out of the question.

I managed to get mine balanced with Nikon 14-24 (front heavy bastard) f2.8 with a total McGuyver setup. I wouldn't run it full time like that (I do have the tilta cage coming soon). But the Air 2 balanced it just fine with weight to spare. That sucker is pretty strong.
Offline

Keith Babineaux

  • Posts: 113
  • Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:56 pm
  • Location: Miami, FL

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 1:36 am

aglyons wrote:as others have said, cheese plate, smallrig or Tilta cage (my Tilta is on preorder). I too have an Air 2. Now looking for the battery adapter to power the P4K from the gimbal. The gimbal too will accept 16v input on the handle so theoretically you could carry a vmount on a belt, power the gimbal with it which will then power the P4K.

The Air 2 also apparently can control the P4K through cam control BUT, if you are recording to SSD the USB is occupied. Looks like it's going to be a one or the other in that respect. But once BRAW comes out for the P4K, the bitrates are not ludicrous, recording to an SD card would not be out of the question.

I managed to get mine balanced with Nikon 14-24 (front heavy bastard) f2.8 with a total McGuyver setup. I wouldn't run it full time like that (I do have the tilta cage coming soon). But the Air 2 balanced it just fine with weight to spare. That sucker is pretty strong.


The gimbal cannot control the P4K yet. I mentioned it to the Moza Tech guys about a month ago and they said that they will start working on it and they will email me when it works. I have a V Lock belt. People laugh at me when I talk about using it but it gets the job done without carrying a ton of batteries.
Keith Babineaux | Film Graduate | Full Sail University
Offline

Michael Kropfberger

  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I also got the Moza Air 2 now, I have the Smallrig full cage lying around, I have cables ready for powering the P4K via the Moza, I have a SWIT C55 4k 5" Monitor ready, further, three T5 SSD are waiting.

And I also ordered the smallrig second wooden handle, hoping it fits to the moza as well:
SmallRig Universal Holzseitengriff für RoninS / Zhiyun Crane Series Handheld Gimbal 2222


ahem... there is only one thing missing: THE STUPID CAMERA! :)

I hope, when I get this thing, that all my evil plans work out nicely and all fits together...

greets
Mike
Intel i7-8700K 3.70Ghz @ 6 cores, 32GB RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system+media), 1TB SSD (cache), RADEON VII 16GB, Win 10x64 latest
Offline

Aleksandar Bogdanov

  • Posts: 110
  • Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 6:15 am

I’m deciding between the Moza Air 2 or the Ronin S.
What would you say - is the Moza that good as advertised?
Would it be as reliable as the Ronin S?

Would it be possible to mount a nucleus nano on the Moza Air 2?
Offline

Robert Wiklund

  • Posts: 59
  • Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 am
  • Location: Sweden

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 8:47 am

I have spoken to Moza support, and powering the BMPCC4K through the gimbal is not reliable they told me (but they are investigating it). They are working to get a plate out for the BMPCC4K so it would balance nicely, though. Moza Air X is being released soon, perhaps Q1. Personally I will wait until then to decide for a gimbal.
Offline

Michael Kropfberger

  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 9:26 am

If you just wait for that extra handle on the airX,
I've finished my development on the Moza Air2 in weebill lab mode, with such a handle.
This video is a short introduction to my DIY mounting ring, that absolutely perfectly fits the new Moza Air 2.
It allows multiple mounting options for different handles and other accessories.
Specialty is the so called "weebill LAB" mode, which makes the Moza Air 2 super-convienient in briefcase mode!

Check it out!



Greets
Mike
Intel i7-8700K 3.70Ghz @ 6 cores, 32GB RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system+media), 1TB SSD (cache), RADEON VII 16GB, Win 10x64 latest
Offline

AngelDark92

  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:07 pm
  • Real Name: Angelo Pascuzzi

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Does anyone know if the controller on the left can be used as a bluetooth follow focus for the camera with compatible lenses? I am using an app on my android phone now but to be honest it doesn't work perfectly...
Offline
User avatar

aglyons

  • Posts: 84
  • Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:19 am
  • Real Name: Adrian Lyons

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 7:15 pm

Nope, that is for the Moza iFocus. The Air2 won't connect to the P4K and control it (ATM).
Offline

ricardo marty

  • Posts: 370
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 9:02 pm

Rich Camp wrote:I just bought the Moza Air 2 gimbal but the BMP4K does not fit. I know I have seen videos and reviews of the two together. I contacted Gudsen and they said it would require an adapter they haven't released yet. SO how are people connecting the two already? What setup do you suggest? Thanks



Youtube search bm4k with the moza2 there are many videos. It works grate.

Ricardo Marty
Resolve 15.2,Abelton,Focusrite, Adobe cs/6, Cinegy extreme.
Inspiron 5675 1800x 8/16 core, Radeon RX580/8,16 gb ram, 512 sd, 500 samsung Pro ssd.
Lenovo Y520, Quad 1777hq,NV1059/6,16gb ram,512 nvme sd, 1tb samsung evo pr
Sony FS700R, Bmp 4k,
Offline

AngelDark92

  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:07 pm
  • Real Name: Angelo Pascuzzi

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Nope, that is for the Moza iFocus. The Air2 won't connect to the P4K and control it (ATM).


That's unfortunate. My lenses are all digital even though most are primes. I will see if I can find a decent app and control them from there. At least they do the rack focus ok.
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 96
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 11:54 pm

Hey fellas - for those with the moza 2, Is there a way to mount a smartphone close to the handle? I was thinking maybe the remote control app could be used in place of the Ifocus.
Offline
User avatar

aglyons

  • Posts: 84
  • Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:19 am
  • Real Name: Adrian Lyons

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSat Apr 06, 2019 12:26 am

I was going to mention that. There is a rosette on the front above the trigger. I've mounted a plate there to rig a battery and a mic. You could stick an arm on there and rig up a phone for the app.
Offline

ricardo marty

  • Posts: 370
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSat Apr 06, 2019 12:50 am

Michael Kropfberger wrote:If you just wait for that extra handle on the airX,
I've finished my development on the Moza Air2 in weebill lab mode, with such a handle.
This video is a short introduction to my DIY mounting ring, that absolutely perfectly fits the new Moza Air 2.
It allows multiple mounting options for different handles and other accessories.
Specialty is the so called "weebill LAB" mode, which makes the Moza Air 2 super-convienient in briefcase mode!

Check it out!



Greets
Mike



I haven't got a moza 2 yet, waiting on the moza x but just in case where can I purchase you product?

Thank You

Ricardo Marty
Resolve 15.2,Abelton,Focusrite, Adobe cs/6, Cinegy extreme.
Inspiron 5675 1800x 8/16 core, Radeon RX580/8,16 gb ram, 512 sd, 500 samsung Pro ssd.
Lenovo Y520, Quad 1777hq,NV1059/6,16gb ram,512 nvme sd, 1tb samsung evo pr
Sony FS700R, Bmp 4k,
Offline

Michael Kropfberger

  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSat Apr 06, 2019 6:14 am

Hi Ricardo,

here are the ordering details for the perfect mounting ring listed:
http://www.kropfberger.com/ring.html

and here is a new review from Tom Antos about it:

Intel i7-8700K 3.70Ghz @ 6 cores, 32GB RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system+media), 1TB SSD (cache), RADEON VII 16GB, Win 10x64 latest
Offline

Jesse Widener

  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:29 am

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Apr 07, 2019 7:04 am

My P4K mounts and balances just fine to the Moza 2. My guess is the original poster has a lighter weight lens than the Sigma Art 18-35 I am using (+Viltrox reducer), which would require the original poster's camera to be mounted more forward on the Moza 2 where the P4K grip would bump into the gimbal before being far enough forward.

In short, a heavier lens will fit the P4K great because the camera body will balance further back from the gimbal.
Last edited by Jesse Widener on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 96
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Apr 07, 2019 4:30 pm

I'm planning to use the Moza with the Lumix 12-35mm so are you saying that it won't work or do I need something extra?
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 96
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Robert Wiklund wrote:I have spoken to Moza support, and powering the BMPCC4K through the gimbal is not reliable they told me (but they are investigating it). They are working to get a plate out for the BMPCC4K so it would balance nicely, though. Moza Air X is being released soon, perhaps Q1. Personally I will wait until then to decide for a gimbal.


Hey guys,
Any updates on the included plate and powering through the gimbal? I found a YouTube video with Gudsen saying they would include a plate but it looks like nothing yet.
Offline

Jesse Widener

  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:29 am

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 8:03 am

I don't know about the Lumix lens, but if it is a lot shorter and lighter weight than the Sigma 18-35mm Art then it may require the P4K to be too far forward to balance without the P4K's battery grip bumping into the side of the gimbal. You could add more weight to the lens area somehow to force he balance back, but that could be clunky.

Regarding powering the P4K from the gimbal, I have played with that some but it drains the gimbal batteries fast. I personally prefer to just have more spare batteries for the P4K rather than drain the Moza.
Offline

Lauri Astala

  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 8:57 am

Jesse Widener wrote:Regarding powering the P4K from the gimbal, I have played with that some but it drains the gimbal batteries fast. I personally prefer to just have more spare batteries for the P4K rather than drain the Moza.


So, how long does the gimbal batteries power the P4K and Moza together? Longer than P4K internal battery at least?
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 96
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Anyone just using touch focus on the LCD while on the gimbal? I was wondering how well this would work since the Pocket 4K requires a touch and hold to rack focus instead of just a tap. It'd be awesome if this was configurable.
Offline

Diogo Costa

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 3:15 pm

So I'm trying to figure out how to use the moza air 2 + ifocus+ ssd t5 but it's difficult to have a correct calibration. The gimbal go all to the left side. So what you recommend to calibrate the gimbal correctly? With Panasonic 12-35 it's easy to config. But the sigma lenses it's more heavier. Thanks
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 96
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 10:27 pm

Just wanted to report that I've been able to successfully get my Pocket 4K with a Moza Air 2 up and going!

Here are the 2 extra components that I had to buy.

The plate is to offset the camera a little to the left so it won't bump the motor on the right.
The second is to power the camera using the gimbal batteries. It looks like it's quite a bit of a drain on the gimbal so I'll just stock up on 18650 batteries. BTW, it looks like the gimbal uses a shorter 18650 battery so the compartment is smaller. I had some extra 18650s from another gimbal and they wouldn't fit since they had the 'lip' on the + side. After some research, it turns out that you need the flat head 18650s, not the button head ones.

SmallRig Switching Plate Camera Easy Plate for Railblocks, Dovetails and Short Rods - Longer Version - 1598
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5NXSRQ

Juicebox Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K (BMPCC 4K) Locking DC Cable
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07LFN75KM
Offline

Novica Milic

  • Posts: 28
  • Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:57 pm
  • Real Name: Novica Milic

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 11:10 pm

The new Moza AirCross 2 - just announced these days - looks promising with the P4K: https://www.gudsen.com/moza-aircross-2 - 1 Kg weight, carries up to 2.8 Kg, 12 hours battery, lock positions, etc. Price 500-600$.
MacMini 2018. BMPCC 4K. Canon XC10. Leica Q. Fuji X-T20.
Offline
User avatar

Randy Walters

  • Posts: 208
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 am
  • Location: Bristol, RI USA

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 12:16 am

pnguyen720 wrote:After some research, it turns out that you need the flat head 18650s, not the button head ones.


Great info – thanks!
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 96
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 9:20 pm

I just found this on the Moza Air 2 FB group about powering the Pocket 4K through the gimbal:

Image
Offline

mileswilkerson

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:21 am

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Hmmmmm... glad I didn’t buy that Kondor cable


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 96
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 9:28 pm

Yeah, bummer for me too. I don't see how Moza can issue a quick fix if it's a hardware issue.
Offline

Lauri Astala

  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 11:55 am

So, would it be any different if the BMPCC4K was powered with a dummy battery via the 7.2V DC OUT of Moza Air 2?
Offline

Ryan Winderweedle

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 pm
  • Real Name: Ryan Winderweedle

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 6:03 pm

I just heard back from Gudsen after a week of nothing. Waiting to see what their response is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Offline

pnguyen720

  • Posts: 96
  • Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm
  • Real Name: Phong Nguyen

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 8:14 pm

Ryan Winderweedle wrote:I just heard back from Gudsen after a week of nothing. Waiting to see what their response is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hey Ryan,
On that thread, there's talk of a 12V version and 16.8V version. Does this issue affect both versions?
Offline

Ryan Winderweedle

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 pm
  • Real Name: Ryan Winderweedle

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 8:17 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:
Ryan Winderweedle wrote:I just heard back from Gudsen after a week of nothing. Waiting to see what their response is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hey Ryan,
On that thread, there's talk of a 12V version and 16.8V version. Does this issue affect both versions?


I have no clue if it does or not. Mine is 12V. I was hoping the solution was the 16.8v version. I bought the Moza because people were powering the P4K with it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ulysses Paiva and 23 guests