Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rich Camp

Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 2:34 am

I just bought the Moza Air 2 gimbal but the BMP4K does not fit. I know I have seen videos and reviews of the two together. I contacted Gudsen and they said it would require an adapter they haven't released yet. SO how are people connecting the two already? What setup do you suggest? Thanks

Cooper

Re: Pocket 4k w/ Moza Air 2?

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 5:01 am

Don't have either, but I assume it wont fit on the grip side of the camera with short light weight lense so it would need to be at same spot as the gimbal arm to be balanced. On the youtube video they seem to use some "cheese plate" (seems like https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-mount ... -1598.html) to offset the camera also they have the focus servo adding more weight to the front. Now I would try to use at least 2 screws to attach the cheese plate to the gimbal plate if possible, and the camera also someway (1 screw hole 2 pin holes) to the cheese plate so it cannot spin.
Last edited by Cooper on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich Camp

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Thank you! I looked really closely at their video and noticed the cheese plate as well. I don't love the idea of needing a cheese plate on a quick release plate when transferring to other tripods. I am going to try to attach another quick release plate on top for quicker release.

Keith Babineaux

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 12:21 am

Rich Camp wrote:Thank you! I looked really closely at their video and noticed the cheese plate as well. I don't love the idea of needing a cheese plate on a quick release plate when transferring to other tripods. I am going to try to attach another quick release plate on top for quicker release.

It's not a cheese plate. It's a Manfrotto 577 Rapid Connect Adapter.
Attachments
IMG_4695.jpg
IMG_4695.jpg (258.92 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Keith Babineaux | Film Student | Full Sail University

Keith Babineaux

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 12:22 am

Rich Camp wrote:I just bought the Moza Air 2 gimbal but the BMP4K does not fit. I know I have seen videos and reviews of the two together. I contacted Gudsen and they said it would require an adapter they haven't released yet. SO how are people connecting the two already? What setup do you suggest? Thanks

You can use the Smallrig Cage or the adapter that I posted below. There are only 2 options right now. They both work well.

aglyons

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 12:54 am

as others have said, cheese plate, smallrig or Tilta cage (my Tilta is on preorder). I too have an Air 2. Now looking for the battery adapter to power the P4K from the gimbal. The gimbal too will accept 16v input on the handle so theoretically you could carry a vmount on a belt, power the gimbal with it which will then power the P4K.

The Air 2 also apparently can control the P4K through cam control BUT, if you are recording to SSD the USB is occupied. Looks like it's going to be a one or the other in that respect. But once BRAW comes out for the P4K, the bitrates are not ludicrous, recording to an SD card would not be out of the question.

I managed to get mine balanced with Nikon 14-24 (front heavy bastard) f2.8 with a total McGuyver setup. I wouldn't run it full time like that (I do have the tilta cage coming soon). But the Air 2 balanced it just fine with weight to spare. That sucker is pretty strong.

Keith Babineaux

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 1:36 am

aglyons wrote:as others have said, cheese plate, smallrig or Tilta cage (my Tilta is on preorder). I too have an Air 2. Now looking for the battery adapter to power the P4K from the gimbal. The gimbal too will accept 16v input on the handle so theoretically you could carry a vmount on a belt, power the gimbal with it which will then power the P4K.

The Air 2 also apparently can control the P4K through cam control BUT, if you are recording to SSD the USB is occupied. Looks like it's going to be a one or the other in that respect. But once BRAW comes out for the P4K, the bitrates are not ludicrous, recording to an SD card would not be out of the question.

I managed to get mine balanced with Nikon 14-24 (front heavy bastard) f2.8 with a total McGuyver setup. I wouldn't run it full time like that (I do have the tilta cage coming soon). But the Air 2 balanced it just fine with weight to spare. That sucker is pretty strong.

The gimbal cannot control the P4K yet. I mentioned it to the Moza Tech guys about a month ago and they said that they will start working on it and they will email me when it works. I have a V Lock belt. People laugh at me when I talk about using it but it gets the job done without carrying a ton of batteries.

Michael Kropfberger

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I also got the Moza Air 2 now, I have the Smallrig full cage lying around, I have cables ready for powering the P4K via the Moza, I have a SWIT C55 4k 5" Monitor ready, further, three T5 SSD are waiting.

And I also ordered the smallrig second wooden handle, hoping it fits to the moza as well:
SmallRig Universal Holzseitengriff für RoninS / Zhiyun Crane Series Handheld Gimbal 2222

ahem... there is only one thing missing: THE STUPID CAMERA! :)

I hope, when I get this thing, that all my evil plans work out nicely and all fits together...

greets
Mike

Return to Cinematography