Weird colors on Blackmagic Pocket 4k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tcgalb

Weird colors on Blackmagic Pocket 4k

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 pm

I recently did a video shoot on the Blackmagic Pocket 4k. The colors of the Christmas lights in the background didnt look good in camera. I tried fixing it in post but couldn't correct it. I used an A7sii as a backup camera and ended up using it for the rest of the shoot. Look at the weird pink coloring on the Blackmagic. Any thoughts?
Attachments
A7s ii.jpeg
A7s ii. Cine 2, S-Gamut 3Cine, -7 Detail on a 50mm Lens at 2.8f
A7s ii.jpeg (274.24 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
BMPC.jpeg
BMPC in Raw, 4k, 4:1, Film Color on a 24 mm lens at 1.4f
BMPC.jpeg (338.53 KiB) Viewed 1587 times

Dune00z

Re: Weird colors on Blackmagic Pocket 4k

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Try this and see if it helps...

John Paines

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 9:13 pm

If you can make a frame available, please do.

Dmytro Shijan

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 5:19 am

Probably odd red channel clipping.
Also If you shoot ProRes you always need manually set Pocket4K input color space in Resolve. (Right click on the clip and select Pocket4K input color space instead Rec709)
For unknown reason starting from version 12 Resolve automatically apply Rec709 color space to any ProRes clip.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Dune00z

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi Dmitry,

I have been looking for an hour to change the input color space like you are saying and I cannot find this. There is no option in Resolve 15 as far as I can tell that allows you to change the input color space on the clip. I can add a LUT, but not an input color space. Can you explain in further detail what you mean or maybe provide an image so I can see where this option is? I cannot find it and if this is all that needs to be done to fix the issue, I would be very happy to use this technique.

John Paines

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Changing input color space is for Resolve Color Management, and is done in the Media pool (right click). That won't in itself fix the issue, if in fact what's happening here is red gamut clipping.

Dune00z

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 8:56 pm

"Changing input color space is for Resolve Color Management, and is done in the Media pool (right click)."

Again, I do not see this at all. In the media pool, when I right click on a clip, I do not see either Resolve Color Management or Input color space. The only option with "input" appears to be input sizing as far as I can tell. I can choose a 1d lut or a 3d lut, no input lut option.

The only place I have found that I can choose an input color space is in the project settings, but I do not want to do it this way because it will affect all clips instead of just the blackmagic pocket clips.

I just am not understanding where this option is supposed to be. Could somebody perhaps provide a screen shot showing this option and how to access it?

Thank you for your help on this.

John Paines

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 9:11 pm

That option won't show up if you haven't first set the preferences to Resolve Color Management. That procedure is explained in the manual.

Dune00z

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Got it John, thank you!

Return to Cinematography