Shooting vertical video

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Cody Dobie

Shooting vertical video

PostThu Feb 21, 2019 8:14 pm

I've got an Ursa Mini I'm trying to mount sideways on a MoVI M15 so I can shoot vertical. I know I could crop it in post but I really think this is going to negatively impact the shot composition.

I was thinking about getting one of these side plates (https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-side- ... -1854.html) but I'm not 100% this is going to work with mounting on the MoVI.

Otherwise, can I mount normally and lock the roll at 90 degress?

Denny Smith

Re: Shooting vertical video

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 2:27 am

The Smallrig side plate is nice, got one for my Ursa Broadcast, but ended up taking it off. The plate does spread the weight over five contact points to keep from stressing the camera case. I can measure the side plate for you to see if it would fit. If it does, you can have my new side plate for $50 plus shipping.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Bunk Timmer

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 7:32 am

It doesn't look like that plate once connected will be perpendicular to te groundplate and by that defeating the whole point of the exercise. On the other hand it will give you more room to wiggle in post than shooting in standard position ...something to consider

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 5:56 pm

I will check this out with a square today, and let you know.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Howard Roll

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Is that the next camera from BM? The Ursa Mini Facebook with 9:16 portrait sensor?

Cody Dobie

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 10:10 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I will check this out with a square today, and let you know.
Cheers

Thanks so much, Denny! Much appreciated

Bunk Timmer wrote:It doesn't look like that plate once connected will be perpendicular to te groundplate and by that defeating the whole point of the exercise. On the other hand it will give you more room to wiggle in post than shooting in standard position ...something to consider

I may be misunderstanding, but my thought was attach the sideplate, and use those new holes to attach the UM sideways to the MoVI (LCD side facing up). The other pitfall I see with this is that the top crossbar of the cage has to then be removed from the MoVI, and I'm not sure how this will affect the balance

Howard Roll wrote:Is that the next camera from BM? The Ursa Mini Facebook with 9:16 portrait sensor?

Anything to stay competitive ;)

Michael Odhiambo

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 4:26 am

BM can't crop the sensor? Use the center portion to extract a 1080x1920? FOr mobile, HD is plenty. For us laymen, its seems like an easy implementation. Flipping the camera then clipping the clips in post is alot of work.Especially if its an event. I covered an event for an alcohol brand, and they insisted half the deliverables to be vertical. An event is several hours and making the edit proved to be a pain.
Make a vertical comp...easy
IMport your clip> preview your clip with your neck rotated > mark your IO points
Add to TL > Motion tab, rotate by -90 (Depending on how you shoot)
Repeat for as many clips that are needed.

I dare any BM engineer to try shoot vertical. They will go back to the lab and do the calculations for a 9,16 aspect ratio.

Return to Cinematography