Autofocus and IS for EF lenses in BMPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

oskar.gargas

Autofocus and IS for EF lenses in BMPCC4K

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 3:40 pm

Hello,

I recently received my BMPCC4K and I have a problem I wasn't expecting. I have some EF lenses which I intended to use with this camera. Some of them with AF, IS and electronic aperture control. Especially my best Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD G2.

I tried it with Viltrox EF-M2. I understand this is not the best speedbooster out there. Does Metabones Ultra or XL will work? I planned on buying XL anyway in the future.

Are there any EF -> MFT adapters (not only speedboosters) that will work with BMPCC4K and above Tamron lens?

Thanks,
Oskar Gargas

EDIT: I've downgraded EF-M2 to 2.3 firmware (as suggested in other thread on this forums) and now I can set the iris from the body. To do this i have to push EF-M2 aperture control when I power on the camera (also hint from some other thread). So the lens become usable. Unfortunately it didn't help for AF or IS. So the rest of questions still stand.
Last edited by oskar.gargas on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

Re: Autofocus and IS for EF lenses in BMPCC4K

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 5:39 pm

Auto focus is not currently working with the Metabones Speed Booster, but iris and IS pass through do work. Metsbones is the better unit for my money, I would not mess around with the knock offs.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

oskar.gargas

PostMon Mar 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Thank you for the answer Denny. I'll definitively switch to Metabones in coming weeks. Viltrox is what I have available from past.

Do you know if iris and is work for both Ultra and XL Speedboosters? Are there any electronic differences between them? I've read somewhere that XL might be problematic and Ultra is recommended. I'm talking only about electronics, I'm aware of lens compatibility differences due to crop factor.

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 2:28 am

No, from what I have read, with up to to date FW, iris control works on both. That said, the Ultra at X0.71 is a better choice for Cine work, as it gives the lens the same FOV as if used on a S35 camera like the Ursa Mini.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JMY_4K

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 3:45 am

Oskar, I also have a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 di vc G2 and it still works on 6.2 camera firmware, and version 2.3 firmware of the Viltrox Ef-m2.

I have both aputure control and IS working. Auto focus doesn't work with speed boosters.

Not sure why your IS isn't working. I don't have to press the aputure button to make mine work either... Maybe your viltrox adapter wasn't downgraded correctly to 2.3? I'd try downgrading it again to be sure.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.2, Windows 10
5900x, 128GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3090

oskar.gargas

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately IS doesn't work for me. I'll try to downgrade again. I'll also try to clean electronic contacts. Maybe there is some problem.

In addition I've got such answer from Viltrox. It gives some hope but if problems will remain I'm buying Metabones.
Viltrox Customer Support @ Facebook wrote:Dear customer, sorry for the late response. This week we will carry out a firmware update to improve compatibility on BMPCC 4k.

What news I got from engineering team is aperture can work well but autofocus may still not be that perfect.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Viltrox has just released an update 3.3 which fixes the problem:

Update as follows:
1. Fixed the BUG which cannot control the aperture in BMPCC 4K.

Viltrox firmware 3.3
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

NanoGarnav

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi,

I just got my brand new sigma 50-100 f1.8 ef today. I attached it to the viltrox ef-m2 adapter (version 3.3) and then to the bmpcc4k (version 6.2) and it didn't show me the iris value and didn't let me open o close it either.

What I found strange is that the 18-35 ef works perfectly fine with this same exact set up. The issue is only with the 50-100 ef. I tried downgrading the viltrox firmware to the 2.3 version and with the 18-35 works fine and with the 50-100 doesn't.

Anyone has experienced this? could you guys help me fix this issue? The pins of the camera and adapter are in perfect conditions as well so I'm lost here.

Thanks in advance.

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 5:12 pm

Viltrox needs to fix this with a FW update, one is currently being released. That said, Metabones has released a new FW update to their EF/MFT adapters to allow auto focus (iris control was previously fixed) and now they are releasing a new BM Pocket 4K specific Speed Booster, designed to work on the new Pocket 4K optically as well as improved AF control, which is push to focus only, with the Focus button on the camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

NanoGarnav

PostSun Mar 24, 2019 3:31 pm

Thanks for your reply Denny.

Does this mean that other users have the same issue and it's not just me? I couldn't find much info about this combo (BMPCC4k + viltrox ef-m2 + sigma 50-100) so I'm a bit lost here... and I'm starting to think that maybe is the lens the one that needs to be upgraded. You think this may fix the iris issue? Or is my viltrox unit deffective?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Simon Maxwell

PostFri Jun 28, 2019 8:46 pm

i've just received my pocket and tried my 50-100 with the Viltrox adapter. I have control of the Aperture but not the auto focus. I don't use the AF much, but it'd be a bonus to have.

Having a few troubles updating the viltrox adapter as well, just seems to eject and remount without me touching it and then says it wasn't ejected properly.
http://storyboardvisuals.co.uk

colourdesk

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 4:40 am

Simon Maxwell wrote:i've just received my pocket and tried my 50-100 with the Viltrox adapter. I have control of the Aperture but not the auto focus. I don't use the AF much, but it'd be a bonus to have.

JMY_4K wrote:Auto focus doesn't work with speed boosters.

Simon Maxwell wrote:Having a few troubles updating the viltrox adapter as well, just seems to eject and remount without me touching it and then says it wasn't ejected properly.

Are you using a Mac? Mine wouldn't mount on my desktop initially but after swapping cables, the third cable worked. Much to the dismay of Mac OS, when you drag-and-drop the firmware onto the Viltrox it automatically ejects itself.

Worth sharing - I have only ever had image stabilisation work with my Canon 24-105mm f4 with firmware 2.3.

Return to Cinematography