URSA Mini Pro G2 footage

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dan Keeble

URSA Mini Pro G2 footage

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 8:16 am

:arrow:
www.flud.digital

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: URSA Mini Pro G2 footage

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 7:36 pm

Yes of course it does.

MishaEngel

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:Yes of course it does.

When you're confident in this camera, make sure Matthew Allard from Newsshooter.com and Gunther Machu from Cinema5D.com get one for a test/review. Most people value their opinion.

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:Yes of course it does.

It shoots better 24 fps than any of the previous 4.6K sensors because the rolling shutter is that much better.

Anyways, drool! Now I'm sold that 4.6K 120 fps is absolutely a must have.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

JoshMallett

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 3:10 am

I'm curious to know if low-light but most importantly FPN has been improved from previous versions (namely 4.6k mini), in the sensor itself...NOT just the implementation of BRAW
My video work: https://www.JoshuaMallett.com

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 3:58 am

Australian Image wrote:Every video, of every Blackmagic camera that I've seen, where someone first gets their hands on one is always shot in slomo.

These are not demo videos created by us (or for us), the testers are sharing their test footage (with our permission).

As someone who has shot said (unpaid) test videos before, when the headline feature is the slow mo its generally what people are most interested to test and show. So when you go out to test slow mo, you're not looking at choosing the most appropriate frame rate and produce interesting content, you're shooting everything in slow mo to see how it holds up.

Having been on both sides, our testers are not required to share footage so it's really up to them what they want to show as they spend their own time/energy. I'm sure they are open to requests for certain tests, but just a reminder they're not trying to produce demo videos.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 4:22 am

Australian Image wrote:How many potential buyers place slow motion (or high frame rate) capability as the highest priority feature of a cinema camera?

True, but I think it's now a differentiation from other cameras/models. Which therefore is a big selling feature for many.

Not aiming support the point, 'let's all go shoot copious over-cranked footage', just trying understand it.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Steven Abrams

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 6:09 am

Australian Image wrote:I find it disappointing that experienced film makers don't go a few extra yards

Its pretty obvious the point made above is that these guys don't owe you anything. You expect them to "go a few extra yards" to satisfy you? I guess entitlement on the internet is a given.

AbdoulUK

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 am

As has been hinted at above, I think we have to take into consideration the filmmaker doesn't owe us anything. If he's been asked to provide some slow motion test footage to BM and then shared with us too then great. It looks like he is gearing up for additional videos/reviews etc so maybe we should just give him a bit of time and and understand that we're not going to get everything we want in one conclusive video straight away. And yes no film is going to be predominantly slow mo, but it's a 'test' for one of the biggest selling points of the camera, soooooo it kind of makes sense to make a slow mo video (followed by more expanding demonstrations I'm sure).

AbdoulUK

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 8:28 am

I see your point and I actually agree. I apologise, I think I read the initial post from a different angle. But yes, in an ideal world I wish that every initial test video wasn't slow motion and usually some composition of trees and pets. I'm happy something is out there though, I just got an email from my UK supplier who told me that BM have not given any sort of time window when to expect units and asked if I'd like my deposit back.

Chris Shivers

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 9:25 am

i agree it's a new sensor i want to see what that sensor can do. I already know how slow motion look like every video has shown it. Especially since it's not cropped in and it's 4.6k 120fps I already know how that's gonna look. They dont owe us anything, however I believe if you're gonna make a review do it right, if not then dont do it at all.

Bunk Timmer

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 10:30 am

The title of the clip is 'URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 - First footage at 120fps/300fps'
In it we see rhino's and an eliphant, not exactly the three toed-sloth in the back of your yard that makes even 24fps look like slomo. ...At the end Garth asks what ever else you would like to see.
Sounds like an oppertunity for the both of you.
...a portion of 24 fps and a review, anything else?

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 2:52 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
Australian Image wrote:These are not demo videos created by us (or for us), the testers are sharing their test footage (with our permission).

I believe Grant stated in his braw/g2 video that these cameras were going into production in a week, so the real question is when will these cameras actually start shipping? And while the title of this video does say that it was shot in 120fps, as others have already stated, FPN and low light performance would be more important considerations on my list of things to check (because of the new sensor/new electronics).

G2 shipping date and in quantities that can actually meet demand?

Thanks

Denny Smith

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 5:26 pm

That is the $/£/€ 22K question! As to how long to get one, it was around a month to six weeks from the start of production until the Ursa Broadcast was actually available from a dealer, some areas was two months. It takes about a month to get the cameras into distribution once they have been made.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

URSA Mini Pro G2 footage

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 5:57 pm

Yes, the 200.000,00 Colombian peso question. At NAB 2019, they’ll announce the camera is shipping, but we should know the routine by now so a few of the first dealer orders will get cameras soon thereafter. Then there will be hundreds of posts like “I preordered the day it was announced so when will I get the camera?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Tristan Pemberton

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 10:09 pm

rick.lang wrote:Yes, the 200.000,00 Colombian peso question. At NAB 2019, they’ll announce the camera is shipping, but we should know the routine by now so a few of the first dealer orders will get cameras soon thereafter. Then there will be hundreds of posts like “I preordered the day it was announced so when will I get the camera?”

I prefer Vietnamese Dong - so the d138,943,741 question is how many replies will that thread get before is disappears into the dark dusty distant annals of the BMD forum and - mostly - forgotten forever.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Return to Cinematography