Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Theodore Prentice

Re: Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Update

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 12:33 am

Can we get an update to the "upcoming firmware" promised in the email from Grant.

Updates to unrealeased products are RETARDED when we (the people who paid for, and use the gear for a living) are STILL waiting for support for RELEASED products.

No wonder the "new breed " are ripping BMD a new one constantly on these forums and elswhere.. you guys are dropping the ball ..

Lets go already.

ganga05_naughty

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 4:57 am

which product i can buy 2.5k bmcc r 4k bmcc...... tel me a correct advice frnds

Alain Baars

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 8:59 am

just buy the fantastic 2,5K BMCC and be happy with it, please stop wining people and start working.

piguar2007

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Shipping in September?? "hahaha"

according to "BM" I'm going to enjoy his camera about day 1 or October 2. than good. thank you very much.

to well

sure it's true that the camera is ready.

PD / is irony ....
Attachments
esquel10.jpg
esquel10.jpg (56.41 KiB) Viewed 26357 times

Dave Perry

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 4:21 pm

I have been making money ever since the 4K camera was announced. I continue to make money while waiting for it. I will continue to make money when I get the 4K. I launched my new company in May but did not plan to sell my existing cameras in July when the 4K was scheduled to ship, nor have I promised any 4K jobs, and I won't until I get the camera.

I'm more frustrated by the level of amateurish comments on this forum, than the product development and delivery cycles of BMD.

Dave Perry
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Jules Bushell

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 5:50 pm

But apparently with the BMPC 4K camera, it's much easier to get *relationships* (replace word with another word). Without delivery I cannot prove that that is the case.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Ben Wells

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 6:26 pm

I would like to take a moment to point something out to all those folks upset about the winning of frustrated costumers.

First off let me say I am really happy that those of you with existing equipment are still working while others have to wait. I wish I had that luxury. I truly envy your position and I wish I had something to work with. I saved and saved and saved and put money down on one camera. Maybe that wasn't the way to go. But thats the route I went. So I'm frustrated and I occasionally vent on this forum.

And about that. This is BMD's forum. They control it. They can edit the content at will and they do. So instead of frustrated folks blowing up other forums or areas of the internet less controllable they do it here while BMD keeps a finger on the pulse of what people are saying. They can weather the storm and keep it in their own yard. Pretty smart.

I for one vent like this.
Attachments
tumblr_m3ry3pbGqi1qas2jho5_250.gif
tumblr_m3ry3pbGqi1qas2jho5_250.gif (491.07 KiB) Viewed 26276 times

Jules Bushell

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Ben Wells wrote:And about that. This is BMD's forum. They control it. They can edit the content at will and they do. So instead of frustrated folks blowing up other forums or areas of the internet less controllable they do it here while BMD keeps a finger on the pulse of what people are saying. They can weather the storm and keep it in their own yard. Pretty smart.

What's always wrong in my book is being insulting to individuals. To put people down or being nasty to people personally. Anyone can be nasty to someone behind a keyboard, that's cowardice. That has happened too many times in this forum.

I long for the day when you said something nasty to someone and you'd be challenged to a pistol or sword duel at sundown/dawn. Shame there's no equivalent over the internet.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Mapas Depique

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 9:37 am

tkatz wrote:
comet48 wrote:Sony just announced a 4K for $4,500. Posted it, but it was deleted. Delivery October- this year. Perhaps this can put some pressure on BM!

XAVC-S 4:2:0 MP4, non-interchangeable lens, 1/2.3" sensor

How would this put pressure on BM?

XAVC Recording Format at 4K 50p/60p, 4:2:2 10-bit at 500/600Mbps, HD at up to 223Mbps
The PXW-Z100 uses Sony’s XAVC™* recording format first employed in the PMW-F55 CineAlta® 4K camera. MPEG-4 AVC/ H.264 compression is used for HD (1920×1080), QFHD (3840×2016) and 4K (4096×2160) content. Image sampling is 4:2:2 10-bit, with an intra-frame system that compresses each frame individually at a maximum bit rate of 500Mbps or 600Mbps during 4K 50fps or 60fps recording respectively and 223Mbps during HD 50fps or 60fps recording. The XAVC format is ideal for those looking to implement a high-quality, secure and worry-free workflow

Mark Davies

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 10:05 am

Ben Wells wrote:I would like to take a moment to point something out to all those folks upset about the winning of frustrated costumers.

First off let me say I am really happy that those of you with existing equipment are still working while others have to wait. I wish I had that luxury. I truly envy your position and I wish I had something to work with. I saved and saved and saved and put money down on one camera. Maybe that wasn't the way to go. But thats the route I went. So I'm frustrated and I occasionally vent on this forum.

And about that. This is BMD's forum. They control it. They can edit the content at will and they do. So instead of frustrated folks blowing up other forums or areas of the internet less controllable they do it here while BMD keeps a finger on the pulse of what people are saying. They can weather the storm and keep it in their own yard. Pretty smart.

I for one vent like this.

There is a case for appropriate frustration annoyance and even anger if the situation calls for it.
The situation is basicly where you find yourself and the first thing anyone with more than one brain cell would think is How can I get what I want or need with an appropriate response. Sometimes that response could be annoyance in order to show how important it is to get problems sorted and get the camera into your hands. Sometimes even anger is necessary in order to correct wrong thinking.

My assessment of what has happened so far is that BMD have made one error and by that I mean something in their control to do something about Not something they were powerless in or beyond their control. See that? That is intelligence Proof of life. So the thing that I feel has been an issue is a lack of informing us what the problems are. Because if they don't then its only natural the worst case scenario is the one many will be thinking is the case. So let me ask you What do you think your responses will achieve. Venting anger. The first thing that happens when someone is rude aggressive or demeaning is the defences go up and it turns into you against them. Obviously though someone with more than one brain cell can see past this and it just becomes irritating. You irritate someone enough and enlist an army of irritators it can seem to the person on the end of this that everyone feels this way and any goodwill or sense of fairplay will be thrown out of the window and could end up costing us a whole lot more. So you see to me people that use inappropriate responses and encourage others to the same or potentially costing me somewhere down the line and are a liability to all of us.

Having to wait for an exciting product giving amatuers or low budget the abilty to use pro tools can be like waiting for a xmas present and yes we allmay feel like that. However we are adults and no amount of kicking and screaming tantrums can possibly make fixing problems go any quicker. All you succeed in doing is winding people up and potentially costing us. With that in mind would you consider what you write Does it A) Benefit your selfish vent and no one else and in fact could have the opposite effect you pretend to want or B) Does it give a needed push and an appropriate response.
Mark Davies

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 11:39 am

The last rumor i heard was BMD kicking any and all rumors to the curb like Lego's!

In fact I think this image below is Grant Petty in training.

No official confirmation, but rumor has it... He is kicking arse to get the 4K camera ready for shipping ;)

I'll let you all decide, But keep your guard up!
cause it's gonna be a surprise when it smacks you upside your credit card statement!

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/p ... 00292.html

Philip

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Mark2929 wrote:
Ben Wells wrote:I would like to take a moment to point something out to all those folks upset about the winning of frustrated costumers.

Having to wait for an exciting product giving amatuers or low budget the abilty to use pro tools can be like waiting for a xmas present and yes we allmay feel like that. However we are adults and no amount of kicking and screaming tantrums can possibly make fixing problems go any quicker.

Xmas is on the 25th of December this year... and every year after that.
Your theory is falling apart.

Mark Davies

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Philip wrote:
Mark2929 wrote:

Having to wait for an exciting product giving amatuers or low budget the abilty to use pro tools can be like waiting for a xmas present and yes we allmay feel like that. However we are adults and no amount of kicking and screaming tantrums can possibly make fixing problems go any quicker.

Christmas is on the 25th of December. Well done But as I said you need more than one brain cell. Just for a laugh could you tell me what you mean by my theory although maybe give that a miss as nothing in your two sentences actually make any sense.
I'll take a wild guess though. You are insinuating the camera won't be out until after Christmas. Based on some of the rubbish kiddie posts about why the manufacturers are completely incompetent which also begs a question Why are you buying a camera from what you regard as an incompetent firm. If your answer is you're not then why are you here.
Mark Davies

JeanPaul

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Philip wrote:
Mark2929 wrote:

haha

agreed. Think my son would be really disappointed if christmas was shipping january

Mark Davies

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 1:36 pm

haha

agreed. Think my son would be really disappointed if christmas was shipping january

I think it is only right we would be disappointed. And speaking personally I was. However I'm a grown up and not prone to silly tantrums. I am however quite capable of complaining when it is right to do so.

Childish behaviour is not an option when under the guise of pretending to be a reasonable stance on all our behalfs. If you wish to have a tantrum and cause trouble that effects me and those waiting for cameras in a reasonable manner then don't be surprised if we take offence at your behaviour. Just like queue jumpers or those who want to be centre stage at every one elses expense. Bad manners and ill behaviour are certainly not what the majority of film makers are about. Most of us depend on the goodwill and help of others and in no position to have idiotic tantrums if we want to stay film makers that is.
In fact some of the behaviour I have seen is an embarrassment to the film making world.
Mark Davies

JeanPaul

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 2:17 pm

I think it is our privilege to be a bit disappointed. If you are at a restaurant and the food is say an hour delayed, you wouldn't go saying its better the food taste good when it comes out. Off course the food should taste good. with or without delay. Me for one would think its better to lash out frustration here, than all over the internet. I have all the respect for the team at BMD and I will buy the camera regardless what. I can only begin to understand the complexity of camera making. BMD makes kickass products worth waiting for... Only hope this thread could be the last update...

Terry Katz

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Mapas wrote:
tkatz wrote:
comet48 wrote:Sony just announced a 4K for $4,500. Posted it, but it was deleted. Delivery October- this year. Perhaps this can put some pressure on BM!

XAVC-S 4:2:0 MP4, non-interchangeable lens, 1/2.3" sensor

How would this put pressure on BM?

XAVC Recording Format at 4K 50p/60p, 4:2:2 10-bit at 500/600Mbps, HD at up to 223Mbps
The PXW-Z100 uses Sony’s XAVC™* recording format first employed in the PMW-F55 CineAlta® 4K camera. MPEG-4 AVC/ H.264 compression is used for HD (1920×1080), QFHD (3840×2016) and 4K (4096×2160) content. Image sampling is 4:2:2 10-bit, with an intra-frame system that compresses each frame individually at a maximum bit rate of 500Mbps or 600Mbps during 4K 50fps or 60fps recording respectively and 223Mbps during HD 50fps or 60fps recording. The XAVC format is ideal for those looking to implement a high-quality, secure and worry-free workflow

Discussion on the Sony camera was deemed off-topic and no longer being discussed. However, for the sake of understanding (albeit links to the specific camera were removed), the discussion was about the $4500 FDR-AX1, NOT the $6500 PXW-Z100. The FDR-AX1 records to 4:2:0 mp4 (XAVC-S format).
Terry Katz

Ulysses Paiva

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Philip wrote:
Mark2929 wrote:
Ben Wells wrote:Having to wait for an exciting product giving amatuers or low budget the abilty to use pro tools can be like waiting for a xmas present and yes we allmay feel like that. However we are adults and no amount of kicking and screaming tantrums can possibly make fixing problems go any quicker.

haha

agreed. Think my son would be really disappointed if christmas was shipping january[/quote]

Ahahauahhahauhuauhauhauh
That's the spirit!
Ulysses Paiva

Ben Wells

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Dang it Granta now I'm gonna have to recalibrate the sensor.
Attachments
1671415-slide-full-8.gif
1671415-slide-full-8.gif (597.49 KiB) Viewed 25943 times
Last edited by Ben Wells on Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piguar2007

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 6:15 pm

I do not see a bad option, the new camera sony "pxw-z100"

"ALL THE GREAT FILM DIRECTORS OF THIS FORUM"
will say that this camera sucks.

but .. semiprofessional level is not bad.

this camera already comes with filters, batteries, a good optical etc,

BLACK AMGIC 3840 x 2160p25,

SONY 4K (4096x2160) 50p or 60p shooting and can shoot at 2.5 k in slow motion.
wireless remote control

upgrade to hdmi 2.0 output to play 4k on TV

with BM4K have to buy it. the BM4K no filters ND. nor does it have IR filters. All these details add up to much money.

this sony camera is a great competition for BM4K ...

black magic is very good at user level (semi-professional). semi professional user does not have much money to spend on accessories. with BM4K many extra expenses ... the new sony camera is ready for use.

BM4K ONLY HAVE ONE YEAR WARRANTY, 2 YEAR WARRANTY SONY.

sony camera weighs very little.

and I doubt many problems as den "BM4K sensors".

I have two friends who have already canceled their order of "BM4K" ... prefer to wait for the new sony.

I RETURN TO SAY THAT THIS IS FOR SONY CAMERA SEMI PROFESSIONAL DIRECTORS.

now the "great film directors" will say that the sony camera is bad or anything ...

but it is not bad for the price it has and feature it has.

I RECOMMEND THIS CAMERA FROM SONY. people who can not spend money on extras.

SONY: Ready to use after shipping.

BM4K: (for optimum performance)

1 - battery (external)

2 - battery charger

3 - battery adapter

4 - holder (Manfroto) ND filter and IR filters

5 - for a good audio you have to buy an adapter (XLR)

6 - box shoulder support

7 - very very expensive hard drives

this is just the minimum buy for an optimal result.

ALL THESE CHARGES ARE NOT EASY FOR A SEMI PROFESSIONAL.

Philip

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Mark2929 wrote:
haha

However I'm a grown up and not prone to silly tantrums.

BMD needs to be applauded for what their vision is, and to some extend for already achieving it. That's good news for us indies. That's why we are all here...

But unlike you sir, I don't applaud or willing to accept their recent behavior.
Its just not right... Its just not fair.
I'll be happy if they have an official press release and come clean. Tell us the truth, and provide some details. Put all these conspiracies to rest.

But no, some things are more important to BMD than customer satisfaction.

Excuse me while I'm going to have a silly tantrum.

JeanPaul

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 7:36 pm

piguar2007 wrote:I do not see a bad option, the new camera sony "pxw-z100"

but .. semiprofessional level is not bad.

this camera already comes with filters, batteries, a good optical etc,

BLACK AMGIC 3840 x 2160p25,

SONY 4K (4096x2160) 50p or 60p shooting and can shoot at 2.5 k in slow motion.
wireless remote control

upgrade to hdmi 2.0 output to play 4k on TV

with BM4K have to buy it. the BM4K no filters ND. nor does it have IR filters. All these details add up to much money.

black magic is very good at user level (semi-professional). semi professional user does not have much money to spend on accessories. with BM4K many extra expenses ... the new sony camera is ready for use.

BM4K ONLY HAVE ONE YEAR WARRANTY, 2 YEAR WARRANTY SONY.

sony camera weighs very little.

and I doubt many problems as den "BM4K sensors".

I have two friends who have already canceled their order of "BM4K" ... prefer to wait for the new sony.

now the "great film directors" will say that the sony camera is bad or anything ...

SONY: Ready to use after shipping.

BM4K: (for optimum performance)

1 - battery (external)

2 - battery charger

3 - battery adapter

4 - holder (Manfroto) ND filter and IR filters

5 - for a good audio you have to buy an adapter (XLR)

6 - box shoulder support

7 - very very expensive hard drives

this is just the minimum buy for an optimal result.

ALL THESE CHARGES ARE NOT EASY FOR A SEMI PROFESSIONAL.

How frustrated I am over delays... Perhaps this isn´t the forum for other companies products. If you like Sony. Buy it and be happy with it. I for one will wait and see what happends at the end of this month "praying" :lol:

Paul Kapp

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 7:50 pm

piguar2007 wrote:I do not see a bad option, the new camera sony "pxw-z100"

Enjoy

Mark Davies

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 7:58 pm

I think the Trolls have shown themselves for what they are. I would hazard a guess and say the site has been infiltrated by competition fanboys.

I think it is important it is understood what they are trying to do and that is cajole and stir up ordinary customers and undermine BMD

Its not our fault they probably invested in some £12000 hyperbole 8 bit 4,2,0 pile of poo.

Anyway Now up to BMD if they want to clean up their forum so those who want to be a part of this revolution can do so in peace.
Mark Davies

piguar2007

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 8:06 pm

FOR PABLITO

friend you do not understand anything ... not your fault ... you do not have education.

I do not speak for me. I speak of a decision of friends.

I am a professional and that's what I want.

I understand that there may be others who prefer the sony for convenience and waiting.

Your irony of "enjoy" is not correct.

BM4K is a big machine and potentially good. the company knows and abused in this way by deception.

're ignorant if you think the camera will be ready in September ...

piguar2007

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Mark2929 wrote:I think the Trolls have shown themselves for what they are. I would hazard a guess and say the site has been infiltrated by competition fanboys.

I think it is important it is understood what they are trying to do and that is cajole and stir up ordinary customers and undermine BMD

Its not our fault they probably invested in some £12000 hyperbole 8 bit 4,2,0 pile of poo.

Anyway Now up to BMD if they want to clean up their forum so those who want to be a part of this revolution can do so in peace.

I CAN SHOW MY RECEIPT OF THE ORDER OF MY bm4k :D

Paul Kapp

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 8:20 pm

piguar2007 wrote:FOR PABLITO

friend you do not understand anything ... not your fault ... you do not have education.

Mate, I would never buy a handycam.
I'm buying a BM4K.
Have fun shooting home movies on yours.

Mark Davies

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Insults

What friends?

Link please.
I understand that there may be others who prefer the sony for convenience and waiting.

Or it may be the sony is for a different type of user. For film making the BMD 4k will still beat the new sony 4k in every area for those wishing to make indies.

Yes it is.
BM4K is a big machine and potentially good. the company knows and abused in this way by deception.

What deception? Proof please. What you are saying is potentially breaking the law. You cant just go around making unfounded accusations.

're ignorant if you think the camera will be ready in September

It may not be ready but personally there is every reason to believe it will. However it may come out in limited quantites so I may have to wait a little longer However as long as there are updates and I can follow the journey then I will understand and wont throw a wobbly because of problems and blame those who are doing there best to fix them.
Mark Davies

Mark Davies

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 8:29 pm

I CAN SHOW MY RECEIPT OF THE ORDER OF MY bm4k :D[/quote]

That's great So why are you advertising Sony products?
Mark Davies

Paul Kapp

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 8:41 pm

p.s.
I used to be a one man video producer for a living once but I'm an amateur film maker these days.
This isn't the place to push Sony products(which are excellent),
but if I were a professional or even if I could afford it, I'd buy this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898428-REG/Sony_PMW_F55_CineAlta_4K_Digital.html
But alas, I don't have the bikkies for that.
Luckily, without having to spend $30,000K+, I can have the BM4K with ballpark image quality.
Last edited by Paul Kapp on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piguar2007

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Mark2929 wrote:I CAN SHOW MY RECEIPT OF THE ORDER OF MY bm4k :D

That's great So why are you advertising Sony products?[/quote]

I do not advertise for other cameras. I only reality show.

BM has to know that there is competition, and not everyone is going to expect to continue to make misleading dates ...

piguar2007

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Mark2929 wrote:

Insults

What friends?

Link please.

Or it may be the sony is for a different type of user. For film making the BMD 4k will still beat the new sony 4k in every area for those wishing to make indies.

Yes it is.

What deception? Proof please. What you are saying is potentially breaking the law. You cant just go around making unfounded accusations.

're ignorant if you think the camera will be ready in September

It may not be ready but personally there is every reason to believe it will. However it may come out in limited quantites so I may have to wait a little longer However as long as there are updates and I can follow the journey then I will understand and wont throw a wobbly because of problems and blame those who are doing there best to fix them.

I will not bother to answer you.
you are the best ever :)

Mark Davies

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Pablito wrote:

p.s.
I used to be a one man video producer for a living once but I'm an amateur film maker these days.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898428-REG/Sony_PMW_F55_CineAlta_4K_Digital.html
Luckily, without having to spend $30,000K+, I can have the BM4K with ballpark image quality.

Why would you buy that? Horrible form factor especially when you add the outboard recorder on. The BMD 4k will record on board As for the Sony 55 new colour science to me anyway I can't see what all the fuss is about.
The Sony 55 costs an arm and a leg There are some who want to throw their money down a bottomless pit and others with more sense who will buy a luvly jubly BMD 4k cam. Possibly its a good job You cant afford the Sony as a fool and his money are soon parted.
Mark Davies

Mark Davies

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Pablito wrote:

p.s.

But you just did?

And you did it again?

So why advertise it then?
Luckily, without having to spend $30,000K+, I can have the BM4K with ballpark image quality

So your advice is if you have the money buy the Sony If you don't then buy a BMD 4k as a last resort, And you complete this with arguments for the Sony and links and yet you deny that you are advertising Sony products. Are you a secret agent wanting to buy a BMD 4k so you can back engineer it so Sony can work out/learn how to put on a global shutter and do 4K RAW and prores at a fraction of the cost?
Mark Davies

Tal Peled

PostSat Sep 07, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks for the update , my only question is when are you planning to release sample footage ??!!

Paul Kapp

PostSun Sep 08, 2013 12:23 am

Mark2929 wrote:Possibly its a good job You cant afford the Sony as a fool and his money are soon parted.

True. It's happened before :)
I spent $30K on DVCPRO kit long ago.
That's what I truly love about Blackmagic.
Amazing technology at consumer prices.

Dave Stone

PostSun Sep 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Between this and the BMPCC Blooming Sensor thread, I'm surprised BMD hasn't shut down the forums. Not the keep people from posting mind you. But to keep the poor guys moderating from pulling out the rest of their hair!!

BMD is not the first company to experience long delays do to third-party vendors not shipping or shipping parts which are different from the prototype parts. In fact, every camera vendor out there has experienced this (and a couple of vendors recently closed shop because of it). BMD has been quite up-front about this. There's no real cause for all the yelling and screaming and rage posts over being lied to.

There's no cause for telling people to drop their orders for the BMPC over the Sony either. First of all, you'll notice that the Sony isn't shipping yet. And Sony have had their own delays in the past, so why expect them to ship exactly on the target date? They, like BMD, will ship when they ship. Nor is it necessary to compare the two cameras feature-per-feature as these are two very different cameras targeted to two very different audiences. The new Sony is more of a ENG/Run-and-Gun type of camera (this from their own marketing material). And to emphasize, BM makes the Black Magic CINEMA line of cameras. So one may be better suited to you than the other. In which case, that's the direction you should probably head.

I'll be honest by stating that I don't yet have a BM camera or even one on order. My intention is to get a BMPCC to replace a Canon XH-A1S that I currently use, mostly because I want to change the look of my videos. But I'm not going to sell my camera until I first rent out a BMPCC for a week and make sure my shoot and edit workflow actually works with it, and even then I won't sell the Canon until I have the new camera in hand and make sure it doesn't have any problems. For those who wanted to be early adopters but who had to sell their existing gear to do so, I'm sorry to say that delays and issues are the bane of the early adopter. If you have to sell gear to get new gear, then you're generally better off waiting for the second run off the manufacturing line. IMHO of course.

piguar2007

PostSun Sep 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Mark2929 wrote:
Pablito wrote:

p.s.

But you just did?

And you did it again?

So why advertise it then?
Luckily, without having to spend $30,000K+, I can have the BM4K with ballpark image quality

So your advice is if you have the money buy the Sony If you don't then buy a BMD 4k as a last resort, And you complete this with arguments for the Sony and links and yet you deny that you are advertising Sony products. Are you a secret agent wanting to buy a BMD 4k so you can back engineer it so Sony can work out/learn how to put on a global shutter and do 4K RAW and prores at a fraction of the cost?

hahaha I a secret agent?

I recommend you keep looking movies "mission impossible"

I am a customer of BM I bought many accessories ... I have not that spying jajajja

(go to bed "

steve connor

PostSun Sep 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Dave S. wrote: But I'm not going to sell my camera until I first rent out a BMPCC for a week and make sure my shoot and edit workflow actually works with it, and even then I won't sell the Canon until I have the new camera in hand and make sure it doesn't have any problems. For those who wanted to be early adopters but who had to sell their existing gear to do so, I'm sorry to say that delays and issues are the bane of the early adopter. If you have to sell gear to get new gear, then you're generally better off waiting for the second run off the manufacturing line. IMHO of course.

and a very good opinion it is!

Wise words.

Marcel Beck

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 10:34 am

so OT................ Any update??
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

aarya s reddy

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi Grant could you give us a date on when we can expect the 4k production camera be available in the market. i have a few projects lined up and i am waiting for this camera.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 3:36 pm

aarya s reddy wrote:Hi Grant could you give us a date on when we can expect the 4k production camera be available in the market. i have a few projects lined up and i am waiting for this camera.

According to Grant's post here ...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12192&sid=77e90eb5afcbd7ba2bc05887f5583f8d#p76681

... he expects the BMPC-4K to start shipping in "about 3 to 4 weeks" from Sept. 3, 2013. That's obviously an estimate.

When the camera will actually start shipping, or when you'd likely be able to obtain one, is anyone's guess. Could be weeks or months away.

I'd recommend against planning productions based on the camera's availability until we see it shipping in volume.

-

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 09, 2013 3:50 pm

This is clearly getting off-topic so I'm going to lock the thread. The update has been announced and when we have further information, another thread will be started.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial
Previous

Return to Cinematography