Camera Shipping Update: 1/14

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 1/14

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Got mine here in NZ !!!!

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Tom

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Got mine here in NZ !!!!

Congrats!

give it a hug for me.....
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 11:12 pm

Haha, thanks. I am doing that now. :D
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Samjack

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 2:17 am

qledbetter wrote:It seems like cameras are going out.

Keep in mind that we're only seeing and hearing of people receiving cameras on this forum. We have no idea how many other people around the world are getting theirs. Presuming Christine is on base by saying that production will increase week-by-week, then you should all have your cameras soon.

Canceling an order now wouldn't be a good move now that the worst is over. You've made it this far, so hang in there.

We also only seeing and hearing of people not recieving cameras on this forum. We have no idea how many other people around the world who are not getting theirs and I'm sure many more.

qledbetter

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 4:10 am

Samjack wrote:
qledbetter wrote:It seems like cameras are going out.

Keep in mind that we're only seeing and hearing of people receiving cameras on this forum. We have no idea how many other people around the world are getting theirs. Presuming Christine is on base by saying that production will increase week-by-week, then you should all have your cameras soon.

Canceling an order now wouldn't be a good move now that the worst is over. You've made it this far, so hang in there.

We also only seeing and hearing of people not recieving cameras on this forum. We have no idea how many other people around the world who are not getting theirs and I'm sure many more.

Haha...Valid point.
Still, in the past three weeks the number of actual customers getting cameras has gone from zero to some. It's an improvement; quite possibly a small improvement, but an improvement none the less.
https://vimeo.com/thebangbangtheory

"Everything you do is the beginning of something new." - The Bang Bang Theory

nonlineartom

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 am

Just contacted CVP (UK)

I'm 70th on a waiting list of 200, and so far they have received a grand total of SEVEN cameras.

Ordered July 26th

:|

AlexandreFachin

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 pm

I just spoke with the folks at B & H on the phone and so far they have received only 20 cameras.
20 CAMERAS ! ( against 800 orders in line )
At that speed frankly (I ordered on 5 November) I'll just get my camera in December 2014.
Alexandre Fachin
Director + DoP + Photographer
Casa Na Arvore Filmes - Brazil
www.casanaarvore.com.br

Tom

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 pm

AlexandreFachin wrote:I just spoke with the folks at B & H on the phone and so far they have received only 20 cameras.
At that speed frankly (I ordered on 5 November) I'll just get my camera in December 2014.

I have counted more than that from forum members, and I think someone was told the same thing a few weeks ago - clearly whoever said this is mistaken.
Tom Majerski

Jason Greene

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Tom wrote:
AlexandreFachin wrote:I just spoke with the folks at B & H on the phone and so far they have received only 20 cameras.

I have counted more than that from forum members, and I think someone was told the same thing a few weeks ago - clearly whoever said this is mistaken.

Tom, I share your frustration with the pace and perhaps even the appearance of a lack of a coherent allocation strategy. However, I just don't think it is as clear as you are stating. What seems clearer to me is that cameras have not been shipping in a quantity that I think many of us expected or considered a mass distribution when we ordered.

When I went through the "It shipped" (35 page) thread about a week ago, I counted only 12 from people who said they received one from B&H. I could be in error, but as someone who has a keen interest in the queue at B&H (as I'm a late pre-order there), I haven't seen any evidence to refute the 20 number that B&H is apparently claiming. Even if they received 20 units per week, it is still a VERY long wait for someone near the end of the list.

Until I saw a post yesterday that claimed one vendor (in Toronto?) just received 20 units from BMD this week, there just wasn't much evidence to suggest that BMD is shipping cameras in any quantity that would lead to optimism. I'm now cautiously optimistic - but much more cautious than optimistic.

Eric Santiago

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Keep in mind that Vistek Canada has to feed everyone in Canada.
But Im sure Toronto will eat all that up :P

Tom

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Jason Greene wrote:
Tom wrote:

Tom, I share your frustration with the pace and perhaps even the appearance of a lack of a coherent allocation strategy. However, I just don't think it is as clear as you are stating. What seems clearer to me is that cameras have not been shipping in a quantity that I think many of us expected or considered a mass distribution when we ordered.

When I went through the "It shipped" (35 page) thread about a week ago, I counted only 12 from people who said they received one from B&H. I could be in error, but as someone who has a keen interest in the queue at B&H (as I'm a late pre-order there), I haven't seen any evidence to refute the 20 number that B&H is apparently claiming. Even if they received 20 units per week, it is still a VERY long wait for someone near the end of the list.

Until I saw a post yesterday that claimed one vendor (in Toronto?) just received 20 units from BMD this week, there just wasn't much evidence to suggest that BMD is shipping cameras in any quantity that would lead to optimism. I'm now cautiously optimistic - but much more cautious than optimistic.

I counted 26 on another BMCC forum. This only includes people who are getting them and are forum members so it is likely to be even more.
Last edited by Tom on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tom Majerski

ChrisMV

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 8:41 pm

B&H Online Chat

B&H: Sorry we do not have a date on that at this time
ME: How many have been shipped at this point?
B&H: Sorry I cannot give out that information
ME: Is there anything you can tell me?
B&H: Unfortunately I don't have a date on that for you.
ME: Alright, thanks anyways

Oder placed in October "fully paid"

I guess I will wait till NAB2013 and see what other companies come up with as far as raw shooting goes, and switch my order.

I hope I get my camera before then but at this point it's not likely.

TuTodd

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 pm

You guys that are furious that you haven't gotten your bmcc from B&H and you ordered this past fall (sept-nov), imagine how those of us who ordered in April and May feel.

I actually preOrdered at the end of April and I noticed that the hold they put on my debit card actually left the funds in the account (don't like walking around w/ $3000 attached to a debit card) so I called back early May and had them charge my card for the $3K. So I payed in full. I think I lost my original April spot bc of the simple change I made. nonetheless, I ordered it a couple of weeks later (may 2012) and I'm still waiting.

PS. B&H is feeding us a bunch of BS. They tell us all different details on the shipping. I was told 38 shipped out as of 2weeks ago...you were told 20. I don't know what to believe anymore. But I feel your pain...maybe more!

Grant isn't telling us enough either. Apparently BMD doesn't believe in mass production.

--SHOOTME :x

ChrisMV

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 12:10 am

TuTodd wrote:You guys that are furious that you haven't gotten your bmcc from B&H and you ordered this past fall (sept-nov), imagine how those of us who ordered in April and May feel.

I actually preOrdered at the end of April and I noticed that the hold they put on my debit card actually left the funds in the account (don't like walking around w/ $3000 attached to a debit card) so I called back early May and had them charge my card for the $3K. So I payed in full. I think I lost my original April spot bc of the simple change I made. nonetheless, I ordered it a couple of weeks later (may 2012) and I'm still waiting.

PS. B&H is feeding us a bunch of BS. They tell us all different details on the shipping. I was told 38 shipped out as of 2weeks ago...you were told 20. I don't know what to believe anymore. But I feel your pain...maybe more!

Grant isn't telling us enough either. Apparently BMD doesn't believe in mass production.

Yeah, that's crazy I really wish they would just tell us the truth. I mean if the cameras don't get here before NAB a lot of people will jump ship, there has to be another company producing a 3 for 3k raw camera out there. If BMD has proven anything is that there is a huge market for this. I mean it's not like the days of film, cameras are computers now and that changes every six months.

TuTodd

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 12:33 am

ChrisMV wrote:
TuTodd wrote:You guys that are furious that you haven't gotten your bmcc from B&H and you ordered this past fall (sept-nov), imagine how those of us who ordered in April and May feel.

Yeah, that's crazy I really wish they would just tell us the truth. I mean if the cameras don't get here before NAB a lot of people will jump ship, there has to be another company producing a 3 for 3k raw camera out there. If BMD has proven anything is that there is a huge market for this. I mean it's not like the days of film, cameras are computers now and that changes every six months.

I'm really hoping Canon releases something that falls somewhere between the 5D Mkiii and the C100. Maybe around $4k. Id pay 4k for a canon ef-mount (i have all EF-mount glass), RAW cine cam with a larger sensor than the bmcc.

...I can't imagine canon will go quietly into the night.

ChrisMV

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 am

TuTodd wrote:
ChrisMV wrote:

I'm really hoping Canon releases something that falls somewhere between the 5D Mkiii and the C100. Maybe around $4k. Id pay 4k for a canon ef-mount (i have all EF-mount glass), RAW cine cam with a larger sensor than the bmcc.

...I can't imagine canon will go quietly into the night.

Only time will tell, the thing with Canon is that they have sooooo many cameras out right now that I think they don't know what to do in terms of killing their other cameras profitability lol

I mean look at this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... inema.html

Who knows, maybe Go-pro will have something, I mean FoxConn just put $200milion into that company, maybe they know something we don't? = )

http://hothardware.com/News/Foxconn-Inv ... llionaire/

Samjack

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 1:52 am

Its not Canon.
The new Dogs Bollox with updated features and global shutter is looking very tempting.
Much depend on if they deliver and they seem realistic with figures and transparent about it.

BMD and its delays and lack of transparency may just be their own undoing.

TuTodd

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 1:58 am

Samjack wrote:Its not Canon.
The new Dogs Bollox with updated features and global shutter is looking very tempting.
Much depend on if they deliver and they seem realistic with figures and transparent about it.

BMD and its delays and lack of transparency may just be their own undoing.

If BMD doesn't fill all backorders by NAB-2013 they're done as a camera company...STICK A FORK IN EM!

David Chapman

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

I don't know it not having "all" preorders shipped by NAB will be their undoing at all. It sure wasnt for Red. I bet they will update us in February. Remember, Nov and Dec are hard months to get things done. Apple had issues with iMac production quantity.

I have no idea how many are shipping right now, but I assume the back order list is in the thousands. I bet the MFT will start shipping soon, once they have that April, May, June, July preorder count knocked out.

As far as another player, we have seen what Canon and Sony are doing. The only sneak attack could be from GoPro and they have some advantages with iOS app controls. If they could get a 4k camera and their log profile (still h264) into a body that actually has a lens of some kind, that would be a hit. But it won't be raw at all.

All of this is merely my own speculation.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Eric Santiago

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 3:41 pm

The RED situation is a bit different.
Tons of people have invested in the RED eco so they really couldnt jump ship.
On the BMD side of things, they have a pretty good catalog of products before the BMCC.
I think they will be fine.

ChrisMV

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 4:51 pm

davechap wrote:I don't know it not having "all" preorders shipped by NAB will be their undoing at all. It sure wasnt for Red. I bet they will update us in February. Remember, Nov and Dec are hard months to get things done. Apple had issues with iMac production quantity.

I have no idea how many are shipping right now, but I assume the back order list is in the thousands. I bet the MFT will start shipping soon, once they have that April, May, June, July preorder count knocked out.

As far as another player, we have seen what Canon and Sony are doing. The only sneak attack could be from GoPro and they have some advantages with iOS app controls. If they could get a 4k camera and their log profile (still h264) into a body that actually has a lens of some kind, that would be a hit. But it won't be raw at all.

All of this is merely my own speculation.

GoPro owns cineform and they do have a raw workflow, if I had to bet they will use this on their next camera.

popcornflix

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 5:39 pm

I'd be very surprised to see goPro step into direct competition with the BMCC. It's such a tiny market, it doesn't make sense. GoPro is in the business of making cameras designed for taking pictures of yourself. They're very outspoken about this, and the founder is now a billionaire on paper, thanks to Foxconn.

I expect they will make higher quality versions of their current camera, and will engineer even smaller versions with hi-Q video. Also look for innovations like Lytro-like post-focus added to action video.

But DSLR video? Nah, it's small potatoes to them.

popcornflix

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 5:40 pm

Every day that the MFT doesn't ship, I get a little more hopeful that we will get an active MFT with the revisions we've heard so much about.

Please.

Samjack

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 6:24 pm

davechap wrote:I don't know it not having "all" preorders shipped by NAB will be their undoing at all. It sure wasnt for Red. I bet they will update us in February. Remember, Nov and Dec are hard months to get things done. Apple had issues with iMac production quantity.

What happen to RED is in the past and they sure won't do that again. It was a lesson learned and should never be use as an excuse for another camera company's failure or delays to deliver.

TuTodd

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 1:06 am

No more angry post from me

...For now.

just got the email shipping notification from B&H. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm praying for you guys/gals!

Justindfox

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 5:26 am

So my question is should I just give up and cancel my order (since I ordered 01/04/13 from Adorama), and go with another camera? Should I just wait till after NAB to see what get's released? Or should I just be patient to see if I get that one shipping email so many others seem to be waiting for? I'm having tons of mixed feelings on this, not sure what I should do!

:? :( :shock: :x

Eric Santiago

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 5:47 am

If you ordered this month then yes good luck.
Someone here claims they ordered in Jan 2013 and got it in a week.
You never know.

kassim

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 12:26 pm

TuTodd wrote:No more angry post from me

...For now.

just got the email shipping notification from B&H. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm praying for you guys/gals!

Congrats TuTodd, when did you preorder?
Kassim Norris

baforest

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 pm

May Gandalf the Grey see to it that we all recieve our cameras expeditiously. I'm thinking it's Bilbo's fault and he's using the One Ring to make the cameras invisible!
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

nikotaro

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 5:24 pm

http://www.video-d.com/cinema-camera-bm ... des-tests/
70 000 pre-orders ????? is that true ?????

Michael Jenkins

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Has anyone received cameras from Hot Rod Cameras? I ordered in July.

kassim

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 11:46 pm

msjenkin wrote:Has anyone received cameras from Hot Rod Cameras? I ordered in July.

No not yet. I ordered with Hot Rod as well and Im #7 in line, I ordered June 15th. I do know they have received 2 so far and I think they have about 80-90 orders. We should get ours real soon. Do you know what number in line you are?
Kassim Norris

Cabraswel

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 4:38 am

I'm sorry to get off topic.... GoPro does not shoot RAW. It just shoots flat... Its still just a JPEG. Raw would be if it shot uncompressed.

Tom

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 am

Cabraswel wrote:I'm sorry to get off topic.... GoPro does not shoot RAW. It just shoots flat... Its still just a JPEG. Raw would be if it shot uncompressed.

GoPro is a company, not a camera. GoPro own Cineform, and there is a cineform RAW codec available (which is very very good). Its not true raw in that it is uncompressed, but it does store bayer pattern data and high bit rate colour - its the next best thing really. Also, just because something is uncompressed, does not make it raw.

It wouldn't be infeasible for them to build a camera which records to Cineform RAW - which would on some fronts be competition for the BMCC (obviously there is more to consider such as dynamic range, resolution etc)
Tom Majerski

Xtreemtec

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 11:41 am

popcornflix wrote:I'd be very surprised to see goPro step into direct competition with the BMCC. It's such a tiny market, it doesn't make sense. GoPro is in the business of making cameras designed for taking pictures of yourself. They're very outspoken about this, and the founder is now a billionaire on paper, thanks to Foxconn.

I expect they will make higher quality versions of their current camera, and will engineer even smaller versions with hi-Q video. Also look for innovations like Lytro-like post-focus added to action video.

But DSLR video? Nah, it's small potatoes to them.

Well sure they are.. But 1 thing that pops in my mind.. The new gopro is capable to do>> while those desiring a cinematic look will appreciate the ultra-high resolution 2.7KP-30 fps and 4KP-15 fps (Protune only) video modes.

If they are able to get 2.7K 30 fps out of such tiny device. (which is more resolution than the BMCC but on a much smaller sensor so it doesn't stand a change in a comparison) But anyway they even do 4K @ 15FPS. They will master 4K in there new camera's on a much higher level. Also they are able to do 720P with 120FPS.

I think if gopro would take a bigger sensor and use the electronics that is available in 2 years. They would be up speed and go after RED!!

I think Gopro will release a camera under 2 years with 4K 60 FPS and 720P with over 240FPS. They still will see it as a camera for xtreme sports.. But if gopro enters the market for super slomo en 4K in 1 camera that is on sale for 500 dollar. It would be the next competitor to the Sony FS700. Also with the latest codecs they introduced.. Is another step toward the cinematic world.

Just me 2 cents ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jonas Bengtson

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Why are you even comparing GoPro against BMCC? The GoPro material look like crap, suffer from extreme rolling shutter artifacting, is blown out due to the small dynamic range (both the HDHERO2 and HDHERO3).

It fills a niché and it does it Really well, introducing cameras that can withstand rough sports for the price of peanuts and the camera is frequently used for cheating in broadcast when you don't want to send someone down a cliff with a Sony PMW 800.

danap

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Got a BMCC to Norway eBayed from a guy who had one too much in California. OMG what a gem! It will take me some tome to adjust my way to protect exposure ...

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 3:18 pm

danap wrote:Got a BMCC to Norway eBayed from a guy who had one too much in California. OMG what a gem! It will take me some tome to adjust my way to protect exposure ...

Congrats on your new acquisition!

Concerning BMCC exposure techniques, you may find John Brawley's recent comments helpful:
viewtopic.php?p=29110&sid=1f060798f8c23723a5d11e360a396fce#p29110

bronson

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 4:11 pm

So, how about an update on the BMCC/MFT?

uni_developing

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Are there any new messages about Camera Shipping,since 1/14,20days gone!!!!

bhook

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Since Grant made no mention of future updates in the 1/14, I would not anticipate any further updates.

fredsavoir

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Hey we received our second camera in France !

Crazy but true.

Cheers

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stef Girres

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi Fred,

I'm from France too and my camera is on its way right now. I guess it should be the third one !

My dealer is Digistore. They were kind enough to send me their first BMCC which should have been their demo unit !

Where did you get your information ?

Cheers

Samjack

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Since there is no updates and their is no sight of the MFT I have decide to keep my camera option open and will be ordering a Digital Bolex. Should the DB16 ship first I will cancel the BMCC and vice versa so whoever comes first gets my business.

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 11:50 pm

mhood wrote:Since Grant made no mention of future updates in the 1/14, I would not anticipate any further updates.

Hey Marc did you get yours yet? Next shipment my reseller gets, I get one. I can't wait.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

bhook

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 11:55 pm

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
mhood wrote:Since Grant made no mention of future updates in the 1/14, I would not anticipate any further updates.

Hey Marc did you get yours yet? Next shipment my reseller gets, I get one. I can't wait.

No word from Omega yet but I'm number 7 so they must not have gotten very many cameras in yet. I've been working the C100 a lot in January and have several things for February so I'm keeping busy. I did a major event last week and was sure glad I had a camera that would record for hours at a time. ;)

PaulDelVecchio

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 12:11 am

mhood wrote:
PaulDelVecchio wrote:

No word from Omega yet but I'm number 7 so they must not have gotten very many cameras in yet. I've been working the C100 a lot in January and have several things for February so I'm keeping busy. I did a major event last week and was sure glad I had a camera that would record for hours at a time. ;)

I was lucky enough to be able to shoot one 2 BMCCs in SF a few weeks ago. The cam is definitely worth it, especially with all the talk of how well it scales up to 4K using the proper methods. I can say for sure that we will be happy with our purchase once received.

Good that you're keeping busy and using the C100. I just recently had to do a job with my 7D and was a little upset I had to go back, but I put on Magic Lantern and the results were pretty damn good. Having Zebras again is just amazing. =)
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

paulkosmala

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 8:17 am

Random thought.

Does firmware update from the ssd? like a dslr updates from a CF card?

if so, then someone with some coding skills should step-up, create something like Magic lantern - BMCC style. to give us - crop marks, false colors, underexposure zebras, and possibly other awesome features that official firmware is not giving us (yet). it would be a hit.

adamroberts

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 9:28 am

paulkosmala wrote:Does firmware update from the ssd? like a dslr updates from a CF card?

Updates are done by an app via USB.

Klaus Rodahl

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 9:58 am

BMCC mft mount arriving, got message thursday so hopefully i'll have it tomorrow...norway btw
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography