Will blackmagic release a 6k ursa mini pro g3?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

littlecookie.09

Will blackmagic release a 6k ursa mini pro g3?

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 11:53 pm

hi i want to know if blackmagic design will release a 6k g3 versison ursa mini pro because im thinking of buying a ursa mini but im thinking of waiting for a 6k version with no crop, that would be great :D :D

wwinter86

Re: Will blackmagic release a 6k ursa mini pro g3?

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 7:55 pm

littlecookie.09 wrote:hi i want to know if blackmagic design will release a 6k g3 versison ursa mini pro because im thinking of buying a ursa mini but im thinking of waiting for a 6k version with no crop, that would be great :D :D

Or since it is their Pro camera maybe the next model will even be 8k.
Computer: 2020 Mac Mini (8 GB RAM).
Tablet: iPad Pro 12.9 (M1).
Camera: BMPCC 4K.
Storage: Samsung T5 2GB.

MScDre

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 pm

wwinter86 wrote:
littlecookie.09 wrote:hi i want to know if blackmagic design will release a 6k g3 versison ursa mini pro because im thinking of buying a ursa mini but im thinking of waiting for a 6k version with no crop, that would be great :D :D

Or since it is their Pro camera maybe the next model will even be 8k.

I feel like 8K would be silly since everyone says that to actually deliver in 8k you'd need more like 10-12K of photo sites and 8K is overkill for 4K delivery.

12K would be 1,292MB/S for 3:1 BRAW :shock: although thats doable with CFExpress

Ellory Yu

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 2:59 am

Why? People are filming in 6K with the P6K and 6K/8K on the RED but then deliver in FHD, 2K, 4k UHD, and some 4K DCI. If it is just for reframing or better IQ, it's a waste because you already get that reframing and better IQ with 4.6K and 4K itself. Unless you are delivering > 4K films for 8K display or digital projectors that can playback > 4K without quality loss (which is at the moment rare), personally I don't see the value both in camera cost and storage.

They should try to spend on resources to stabilize and market the P4K/P6K and the UMP G2 to be the de facto cinema camera that producers and DPs will use in big budget features - side-by-side with or as a replacement to the Arri and RED. Then they can dream on an 8K G3 or G4, etc.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

timbutt2

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 4:29 am

What is the obsession with continually getting more pixels? Let’s get better pixels. Now I don’t mind if the next camera that comes out in 3-years is higher resolution, but I’d love for Blackmagic to continue to refine Blackmagic RAW, their color science, perhaps get global shutter, and most important of all get more dynamic range.

Here’s the thing the global shutter was a fantastic idea. If Blackmagic could get the global shutter working at a base ISO of 800 and with the fantastic ability to go up to 3200 like you can with the G2 and shoot 120 FPS at full resolution then that would be amazing. At that point I would hope that they settle with 6K just to please everyone obsessed with more resolution, but if they do go VistaVision then I’d say 8K is fine. Maybe 9.2K so you can downscale to 8K and reframe for 8K. Also with the global shutter I hope they can find a way to get at least 16.5 stops of Dynamic Range out of it.

Still when will there be an 8K projector? I know 8K TVs are coming. But the cinema matters most for the bigger screen since a TV doesn’t have a size that you can truly see the difference for 8K vs 4K.

Either way, get the G2 and make projects with it. Stop fantasizing about the next camera. Otherwise you’ll never get anything made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography