BMCC 2.5k vs. RED Epic music video challenge!!!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Larry Sellers

BMCC 2.5k vs. RED Epic music video challenge!!!

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 4:26 am

Ok guys. Here's a music vid I shot using an epic along side my BMCC 2.5k. The same Canon lenses (tokina 11-16, canon 24-70L, canon 70-200L) were shared among the two cameras. Epic shot 4k HD while BMCC shot ProRes in film gamma.

So here's the challenge. Tell me which shots you think are BMCC and which are Epic. I will post the answer after a decent amount of theories are presented.

Good luck!!!!

Christoffer Glans

Re: BMCC 2.5k vs. RED Epic music video challenge!!!

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 5:42 am

You post a video uploaded to a highly compressed site like youtube. Let's see a low or non-compressed 1080p video instead.

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 7:09 am

The entire video probably the BMCC, but then again with this much noise who the hell can tell?
Here check my friend Avi's RED footage.

http://www.youtube.com/AviCohen

Tom

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 am

Its hardly "BMCC 2.5K vs RED Epic" if you shot the BMCC stuff in ProRes HD.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 11:47 am

No challenge here, as the look of the footage has been tampered with in so many ways... Probably just a stunt to get your (nice) music video more attention.

Lorenzo Straight

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Nice video. Can't tell with all the post work. Short clips would be best if you want people to guess.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Larry Sellers

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 4:16 pm

The footage really hasn't been "tampered with". It has been graded. It really wouldn't be a challenge if I showed you ungraded footage. The red stuff has its own LUT applied in camera while the BMCC stuff is all flat.

This is meant to be an example of how good this camera holds up against a camera 10x the price. That's all.

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 5:09 pm

cheezweezl wrote:The footage really hasn't been "tampered with".

So as an example you wouldn't consider the "old movie"-effekt you used around 0:40 "tampering" ? Don't tell me, that any of these cameras contributed the image grain and vertical scratches...

cheezweezl wrote:It has been graded. It really wouldn't be a challenge if I showed you ungraded footage.

It's simply nonsense to compare after grading. I can take RED footage and grade it until it looks like your common consumer level camera, just to say "hey, look how well my $200 bucks camera holds up against the RED!".

I'm not saying the BMCC doesn't compare to the RED - i'm just saying you can't tell from footage made to look alike.

The only thing your video proofs is that both cameras can work well together.

Larry Sellers

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Ok guys. Clearly I have posted this in the wrong place. My apologies. Thought it would be fun. Carry on with whatever it is that draws you to this site. Later.

Jason Hinkle

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 3:16 am

(sorry couldn't resist!)

seriously though i can't tell any difference, the whole thing has a really nice, natural look. I really like some of the slo-mo shots with the sun in the back, really nice looking shots. nice work!

Darryl Gregory

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 5:57 am

cheezweezl wrote:Ok guys. Clearly I have posted this in the wrong place. My apologies. Thought it would be fun. Carry on with whatever it is that draws you to this site. Later.

EDIT: I have edited my post, I really need to try harder to accept the things that bother me.

@cheezweezl I like the footage, I think there should have been a reference of some sort..Even a simple thing like what lens was used for each shot, at least that way we could have some sort of gauge.

Secondly your CC (Kelvin)is a bit sloppy from one scene to the next
(Daylight in some scenes and Tungsten the next) making it even harder to gauge what footage was shot on what camera, Slow motion is the only dead giveaway!
And although that does scream.... "This is a Challenge" it is bar far the hardest visually to interpret, I will give some blame to you tube compression, and some to per-colored footage....
But for the most part this challenge is infected...>>> Quoting "Mac Jaeger" "this footage has been tampered with". And in no way can be described as a "RED vs BMCC" challenge,
As I can appreciate your efforts, this has all the markings of a "FAILED ATTEMPT".

This is not to say the footage does not look good! It looks great!, but I see no challenge in the different shots, this may as well be a good thing, If the BMCC 2.5K can match RED Epic footage??
Then what the hell is the problem?

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 1:06 pm

I'd say the shot where the police man is holding the girl was shot on a BMCC?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Larry Sellers

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 2:41 pm

For anyone who is interested, all of the Steadicam shots are the epic, everything else is the BMCC.

So the stuff with the crashed truck as well as the obvious Steadi shots by the building are epic.

The performance inside on the mattress, by the cop car, as well as the desert is BMCC. All of the storyline stuff (walking in desert, tv plate, old footage, cars driving by, etc.) is BMCC.

The grade was all by design and we were going for a very stylized look. However, it was not a very technical grade. Mostly pushing the shadows toward blue, pushing the highs toward yellow, desat a bit, and add contrast. I think I may have desaturated the dark end of the shadows as well.

Thx

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 7:29 pm

cheezweezl wrote:For anyone who is interested, all of the Steadicam shots are the epic, everything else is the BMCC.

So the stuff with the crashed truck as well as the obvious Steadi shots by the building are epic.

The performance inside on the mattress, by the cop car, as well as the desert is BMCC. All of the storyline stuff (walking in desert, tv plate, old footage, cars driving by, etc.) is BMCC.

The grade was all by design and we were going for a very stylized look. However, it was not a very technical grade. Mostly pushing the shadows toward blue, pushing the highs toward yellow, desat a bit, and add contrast. I think I may have desaturated the dark end of the shadows as well.

Thx

Beautiful story, well done. No need to play guessing games with such fine work. Thanks!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Dennis Nomer

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 11:48 pm

I just found this. Interesting music video.

I am interested in the shot around 1:40 where the two girls run by and then you walk in on the singer in the shack. That looks like a tough shot. How did you adjust focus for it? You cannot be stopped down much, as there is not enough light inside.

Also, which steadicam rig did you use? Did you use the Came rig that you reviewed and liked, or was the Epic gear too heavy for it?

Thanks.
Dennis Nomer

John Waldorff

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 7:37 am

I like this production a lot Also cool to use these cameras side by side on the same set.
Find that some statements in this thread were a bit unfair. You are a good guy.
I must admit to my eyes Epic looks epic.

Thanks.

Return to Cinematography