[grabs] First narrative work with P4K and Meike cine lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

joe12south

[grabs] First narrative work with P4K and Meike cine lenses

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 10:59 pm

25mm and 50mm. Indoor lit overhead from 200 watt LEDs through 5'x4' diffusion/grid, a Flolight Bladelight and some incandescent practicals.

After a year and a half of working perfectly, P4K was quirky on set when it really mattered. I had to power cycle a few times to get HDMI out. Locked-up twice. Of course this happened after I was bragging to everyone how well this little camera performs. Production gremlins. Day 2 it worked flawlessly.

Regardless, happy with
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Richard Boniface

Re: [grabs] First narrative work with P4K and Meike cine len

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 2:32 am

Gorgeous images Joe.

Too bad you had a couple of stressful moments to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Stanford

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 5:15 am

Sweet.
Last edited by Gary Stanford on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x BMPCC4k/2 x BMCCs/Davinci Resolve Studio/Decklink Mini Monitor/HD Link Pro /ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 DDR3 x SATA3/Intel i7 3.4GHz/GTX 980ti 6 GB/32BG RAM/3 SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO SSD/4 x 3 TB WD HDDs/Seagate 1 TB SATA 3 HDD/OCZ 850w PSU/Windows 7 64bit SP1

Gary Stanford

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 5:15 am

Looks good, but I'm a bit confused. DO you have an advance copy of the Meike 50mm T2.2?
1 x BMPCC4k/2 x BMCCs/Davinci Resolve Studio/Decklink Mini Monitor/HD Link Pro /ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 DDR3 x SATA3/Intel i7 3.4GHz/GTX 980ti 6 GB/32BG RAM/3 SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO SSD/4 x 3 TB WD HDDs/Seagate 1 TB SATA 3 HDD/OCZ 850w PSU/Windows 7 64bit SP1

joe12south

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 4:40 am

Gary Stanford wrote:Looks good, but I'm a bit confused. DO you have an advance copy of the Meike 50mm T2.2?

50mm is the Veydra. Just got the Meike 35mm for review today. 50mm and 85mm are still some time away.

robert Hart

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 3:49 pm

When your camera began to freak out -

1. Were you using a battery or mains power adaptor?

2. Is your HMI lamp powered by a magnetic ballast or electronic ballast?

2. If you were using mains power and your HMI lamp's ballast is an electronic ballast, was your HMI light running on the mains power or a separate generator?

3. If your camera was running on battery, were you operating your camera anywhere near the HMI lamp's electronic ballast or lamphouse cable?

With the answers provided, some people wise on the topic of discharge lamps, switchmode power supplies, their effect on the 50Hz mains power waveform, the neutral line voltage/current and RF interference in general may be able to advise more validly than I.

A few years back, my P+S Technik/SI2K, already running off mains power weirded out when a 12K HMI with electronic ballast was switched on. I had to use a camera battery to make the issue go away.

joe12south

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 3:39 pm

robert Hart wrote:When your camera began to freak out -

1. Were you using a battery or mains power adaptor?

2. Is your HMI lamp powered by a magnetic ballast or electronic ballast?

2. If you were using mains power and your HMI lamp's ballast is an electronic ballast, was your HMI light running on the mains power or a separate generator?

3. If your camera was running on battery, were you operating your camera anywhere near the HMI lamp's electronic ballast or lamphouse cable?

With the answers provided, some people wise on the topic of discharge lamps, switchmode power supplies, their effect on the 50Hz mains power waveform, the neutral line voltage/current and RF interference in general may be able to advise more validly than I.

A few years back, my P+S Technik/SI2K, already running off mains power weirded out when a 12K HMI with electronic ballast was switched on. I had to use a camera battery to make the issue go away.

Running on battery, no HMIs on set.

Return to Cinematography