Official List of Recommended SD cards for BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Lee Mackreath

Official List of Recommended SD cards for BMPCC

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 9:55 am

Very basic, but in the manual it states:

"SDHC and SDHX cards recommended for lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) video recording include:

Sandisk 64GB Extreme Sanidsk 64GB Extreme Pro Sandisk 128gb Extreme

Nothing about whether they need to have 45mb/s or 95mb/s transfer rates though...

Richard Oakes

Re: Official List of Recommended SD cards for BMPCC

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 11:50 am

LMACKREATH wrote:Very basic, but in the manual it states:

"SDHC and SDHX cards recommended for lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) video recording include:

Sandisk 64GB Extreme Sanidsk 64GB Extreme Pro Sandisk 64GB Extreme

Nothing about whether they need to have 45mb/s or 95mb/s transfer rates though...

Sandisk 64GB Extreme, Sandisk 64GB Extreme, will be for pro rez and Sanidsk 64GB Extreme Pro will be for RAW
Richard Oakes.

Zack Wilson

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Darkfable wrote:

Sandisk 64GB Extreme, Sandisk 64GB Extreme, will be for pro rez and Sanidsk 64GB Extreme Pro will be for RAW

It doesn't say that though, it says that the 64 and 128 Sandisk Extreme (along with the 64GB Extreme Pro) will support both compressed RAW and ProResHQ.

That being said, let's see what wide usage of these cards provide. I know I was burned with a "supported" SSD in the past with the BMCC.

Richard Oakes

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Zack Wilson wrote:
Darkfable wrote:

It doesn't say that though, it says that the 64 and 128 Sandisk Extreme (along with the 64GB Extreme Pro) will support both compressed RAW and ProResHQ.

That being said, let's see what wide usage of these cards provide. I know I was burned with a "supported" SSD in the past with the BMCC.

I've done the maths on the transfer speeds, the only SD card that will support RAW is the extreme pro. what it says in the manual is that these 3 cards will work on the camera.

all 3 will work for pro rez, but only 1 for RAW.
Richard Oakes.

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm with Darkfable there: only the 95 mb/s card will be able to record (compressed) raw, and it won't last long.

bhook

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:I'm with Darkfable there: only the 95 mb/s card will be able to record (compressed) raw, and it won't last long.

I heard 15 minutes. And not being able to delete takes in camera make that seem to be a very short recording capacity to me. You're going to need a bunch of cards to shoot the kids at Disney World and there's no way you could shoot a one hour lecture or a soccer game.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 5:14 pm

mhood wrote:
Mac Jaeger wrote:I'm with Darkfable there: only the 95 mb/s card will be able to record (compressed) raw, and it won't last long.

I heard 15 minutes. And not being able to delete takes in camera make that seem to be a very short recording capacity to me. You're going to need a bunch of cards to shoot the kids at Disney World and there's no way you could shoot a one hour lecture or a soccer game.

Yes, you'll probably need a bunch of SD cards to shoot the kids at Disney World, especially if you shoot in RAW mode. Some people might choose to do it anyway if they want the video to be very high quality. However, if it turns out that record times are longer with the BMPCC's ProRes mode, more people will record that way, and still get better-than-average quality.

At 79GB/hr., ProRes 422 HQ 1080p24 will require a relatively large-capacity SD card to record a long lecture or soccer game. I doubt most people will choose to record long lectures or entire soccer games with a BMPCC in RAW mode, but if an adequate SD card exits (now or in the near future), maybe they will.

There's no 1 perfect camera ideally suited to every purpose. Including cameras that don't have a Blackmagic Design nameplate.

-

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 5:58 pm

For the purposes the Pocket CC was made for, ProRes is the codec of choice. I'd see (compressed) raw as a bonus, for the occasional shot when you want to control every single pixel recorded. But in most of these situations you also don't need the great portability of the Pocket CC, so you could also use the bigger Cinema or Production Cameras.

Of course some people will buy the Pocket CC only because it's the seemingly cheapest way to get 13 stops and raw recording. But that may not hold true, once you factor in the cost and hassle of recording to a dozen or more SD cards. And if you go for maximum quality there's a lot to gain from the extra 25% of pixels the Cinema Camera has to offer.

Zack Wilson

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Darkfable wrote:
Zack Wilson wrote:
Darkfable wrote:

I've done the maths on the transfer speeds, the only SD card that will support RAW is the extreme pro. what it says in the manual is that these 3 cards will work on the camera.

all 3 will work for pro rez, but only 1 for RAW.

I'm just saying what the new manual says on page 14. It says all three are supported for compressed RAW. I haven't tried it obviously, just echoing what the manual said.

Richard Oakes

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 7:01 pm

all 3 will work for pro rez, but only 1 for RAW.[/quote]

I'm just saying what the new manual says on page 14. It says all three are supported for compressed RAW. I haven't tried it obviously, just echoing what the manual said.[/quote]

It doesn't say all 3 are for RAW. It says the following cards are recommended for RAW and Pro Rez. Those cards do do RAW and pro Rez. One does RAW and the others do Pro Rez. If I had a canon 550D and a blackmagic cinema cam and I said that with my cameras I can shoot h.264 and RAW I would not be lying. But it does not mean that I can shoot RAW on my 550D
Richard Oakes.

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 7:04 pm

Again, i'm with darkfable there.

Just don't buy any cards before anyone else had a chance to test them. Let others make the mistakes, this will save you time, money and probable one or two unrecoverable shots...

Return to Cinematography