Possible to power both at the same time?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Akpe Ododoru

Possible to power both at the same time?

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 4:07 am

Am in the process of building a rig (smallrig) for my P6K and was wondering if i'll be able to power both my P6K and my old 5" video assist at the same time through a v lock battery?
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

Robert Niessner

Re: Possible to power both at the same time?

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 8:40 am

If your question is about if the v-lock can provide enough power to both, then the answer is yes. A 14.4V battery is able to supply more power than your devices would need combined.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Akpe Ododoru

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 11:16 am

Robert Niessner wrote:If your question is about if the v-lock can provide enough power to both, then the answer is yes. A 14.4V battery is able to supply more power than your devices would need combined.

Thanks for the reply dude. The video assist consumes so much battery which is why i was thinking of supplying power through my v-lock battery along with the P6K camera also, but read somewhere that it could damage the camera hdmi port if one trys to power both device at the same time.

So i take it theres nothing to be scared of.
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

Brad Hurley

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 11:43 am

Akpe Ododoru wrote:

I wouldn't go that far.

Most of the horror stories I've read concern the use of y-cables (simple splitter cables), so you might want to look at power distribution boxes instead.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

James Alexander Barnett

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 am

Brad Hurley wrote:
Akpe Ododoru wrote:

I wouldn't go that far.

Most of the horror stories I've read concern the use of y-cables (simple splitter cables), so you might want to look at power distribution boxes instead.

Definitely look at a proper power distribution plate, a mate of mine fried my SDI out and both SDI ports on my Video Assist by plugging a D-Tap Cable in to power the video assist.
James Alexander Barnett
www.jamesalexanderdp.co.uk
URSA Mini 4.6k
Pocket 6k Pro

Akpe Ododoru

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 11:54 am

Brad Hurley wrote:
Akpe Ododoru wrote:

I wouldn't go that far.

Am going for a V Mount Battery Plate that comes with "5V, 7.2V, 12V and 14.8V D-Tap output interface"
This way i use the D-Tap connection for the P6K and use the 12V connection for the monitor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IEFU9ZI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 3:11 pm

James Alexander Barnett wrote:
Brad Hurley wrote:
Akpe Ododoru wrote:

I wouldn't go that far.

Definitely look at a proper power distribution plate, a mate of mine fried my SDI out and both SDI ports on my Video Assist by plugging a D-Tap Cable in to power the video assist.

The fried sdi is be cause he probably connected sdi after power on, or in the wrong order.

the right way to connect EVER from the start of broadcast history is
- connect all EVER with power off
- power on from source (camera) to monitor and never back.
Ever I hear about fried sdi and ever be cause people do what they must not do.
Is this the reason that I NEVER lend my tools, people are superficial with them tools, with tools of other are worst.
I use same battery (vlock and g lock ) to power all tools of rig from twenty years and I never fried something. But I follow the rules.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Howard Roll

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 3:48 pm

Broadcast what? Some studios never even shut down, everything is patched live all the time.

What they actually do in broadcast is patch everything while wearing an orange hat standing on one leg. That stance prevents the voltage from travelling down one leg and up the other creating a ground loop. The hat is for OSHA which is slowly becoming a real thing in the states.

Avoid cheap distribution boxes and cheap batteries, these things put out a ton of juice, without proper protection you're gonna cook something. I'd wager the D-tap output of a proper AB or IDX has better protection than the 12V out of most Chinese plates.

Good Luck

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 4:01 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Broadcast what? Some studios never even shut down, everything is patched live all the time.

we not talk about patch panel, we talk about low cost video tools, camera and monitor, that not have electronics and protection of studio's tools.
Anyway, you tell me that there are somewhere broadcast cameras on 24h to 24h or a monitor on 24h to 24h where someone change on fly cables? their choise... i never see that needings in no one national tv where i worked; you correctly told also that who do that do with awareness of rick, and use orange hat on one leg... the problem exit.

I'm agree with you that cheape plate / battery are often causes of problems.

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 7:39 am

Carlo, Howard is having us on, “standing on one leg while wearing an orange hat...” :lol:
You are right, once a setup is connected at TV Broadcast setups, it is left connected, unless switching out something, then it is usually powered down first.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography