Water-splash en duskproof

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

TimVisser

Water-splash en duskproof

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Hello,

I would love to buy a Blackmagic 4K and choose it above the Canon EOS c100 in order to keep using my EF lenses. There is only one aspect I am doubting about. With outdoor filming in nature I would love the camera to be resistant against small water splashes and a little bit of mud. The EOS C100 has these aspects, but how about the BMCC? I would love to hear some opinions from you guys.

Tim Visser

Marcel Beck

Re: Water-splash en duskproof

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Hello Tim,

Give me 5 days and I'm in Liechtenstein, going to test it in the forest when it rains (hopefully doesn't snow), I recently bought CamRade's wetsuit for the BMCC and giving that a go.

By the tests done by John with his pocket cinema camera I doubt the Cinema Camera will have any issues, just make sure when changing lenses that the sensor stays protected.

On a side note, I shot our short film "Check" in Fujairah (UAE) a few months ago with the BMCC and it was windy, dusty, and rainy, the BMCC had no issues at all, I felt like I was being sand blasted haha

Cheers,
Marcel
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Mac Jaeger

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Marcel Beck wrote:Give me 5 days and I'm in Liechtenstein, going to test it in the forest when it rains (hopefully doesn't snow)

Right now we have almost 40°C here (about 50km to the north), so you'll probably feel more at home than you anticipate...

Tom

PostSat Jul 27, 2013 10:07 pm

I wrote a review for Alphatron of their Camrade wetsuite- http://www.tommajerski.com/camrade_ws_bmcc.html

In a nutshell:

"
This rain cover is designed for casual or stripped down filming. It will only protect the camera body and lens - other accessories such as external batteries will need their own protection. This does help however, to keep the rain cover as simple and functional as possible. Because it packs away so small and so quickly, it means one can bring it with them on every shoot - just in case it starts to rain. The construction and build quality feels good and it does a great job at keeping your precious BMCC nice and dry.

If I could change one detail, it would be to have an additional Velcro Strip towards the rear of the cover - so that the lens extension could be used as a larger sun shield. As every BMCC user knows, the rear screen is painfully reflective and being able to use this rain cover to help screen visibility would be an easy way to add value and functionality to this product.

Overall I would recommend this to other BMCC users who want a light weight, quality and good value for money rain cover. I expect the more pro film makers will require an additional level of protection for fully kitted out cameras - but such a cover would no doubt be also larger and too cumbersome for other styles of filming.
"

more details plus pics on the website.

(I realise this post might breach certain forum rules - very sorry if so, I will gladly remove this post if its a problem - don't yell at me ;-) )
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Marcel Beck

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 1:03 am

Mac Jaeger wrote:
Marcel Beck wrote:Give me 5 days and I'm in Liechtenstein, going to test it in the forest when it rains (hopefully doesn't snow)

Right now we have almost 40°C here (about 50km to the north), so you'll probably feel more at home than you anticipate...

Oh great, I thought I was leaving 40ºC behind me! Where are you based Mac?

@Tom,
Not bad thanks for the review, I guess for more kitted out cameras use an umbrella :D
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 7:52 am

Marcel Beck wrote:
Mac Jaeger wrote:

Oh great, I thought I was leaving 40ºC behind me! Where are you based Mac?

This week i've been on a seminar in Lindau am Bodensee - yet originally i'm from the other end of bavaria. We've had a couple of really hot days lately, yet finally the weather calmed down tonight and brought a little rain - now it's more like jungle climate here...

On topic: what i've seen from CC and PCC is well engineered with parts that fit tightly - yet the cameras are in no way sealed against water and dust. In high humidity the metal bodies might draw some condensation, if you bring a "cold" camera (say from your air conditioned car).

TimVisser

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for the good comments! I think the rain cover will work outdoor, also when filming in sandy areas in order to prevent the buttons. The screen will always be painful off course - I will just put a blacked over my head in order to protect sunlight ;) Oldschool.

Outdoor filming with the western-europe weather of yesterday and today - that will be a nice adventure with falling threes and all.

Frank Glencairn

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:
On topic: what i've seen from CC and PCC is well engineered with parts that fit tightly - yet the cameras are in no way sealed against water and dust. In high humidity the metal bodies might draw some condensation, if you bring a "cold" camera (say from your air conditioned car).

I already posted this here

I was shooting for several weeks in all sorts of extreme weather in Canada, the BMC got wet as a cat in a barrel many times. Covered with snow, rain, slush from a snowplough. Got in and out from a warm car into the cold of Canada`s wilderness all the time.

Didn't have a single issue.

I think it's pretty much weather sealed, at least against moisture. Can't speak of sand and dust though, but I think the rubber caps on the ports doing a good job there.

Shooting in a gin still in Munich for 2 days, under the local heat wave and a hot still on top of it, was like shooting in a sauna.

Again, no problemo. It's a though little beast.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

TimVisser

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Great pickture Frank! I am convinced.

Return to Cinematography