Chances of a pocket camera?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mark Davies

Chances of a pocket camera?

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 8:02 am

Within the next few weeks. I'm in the UK and number 50 in the queue. I would imagine that any short factory run would have to be thousands to be economically viable and would think the pocket camera having few components and cheap to make would be even more likely.
Mark Davies

Erik Swan

Re: Chances of a pocket camera?

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 8:05 am

Mark2929 wrote:Within the next few weeks. I'm in the UK and number 50 in the queue. I would imagine that any short factory run would have to be thousands to be economically viable and would think the pocket camera having few components and cheap to make would be even more likely.

Nobody knows for sure except Blackmagic. It has been said that the initial shipments will be in low quantities, but whether that's 10 or 100 or 500 is unknown. I wouldn't count on it.

matt brown

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 9:41 am

It is going to be hard to determine how many and how quickly the cameras will ship.. which supplier are you with? as that might also have an impact..

Could this be an indication that shipping has already started?

Rob Hargreaves

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 11:46 pm

matt brown wrote:It is going to be hard to determine how many and how quickly the cameras will ship.. which supplier are you with? as that might also have an impact..

Could this be an indication that shipping has already started?

Video removed by user....

Gan Eden

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 2:48 am

plegilink wrote:
Video removed by user....

Wonder why?

Mac Jaeger

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Mark2929 wrote:Within the next few weeks. I'm in the UK and number 50 in the queue.

Problem is: there isn't "the" queue, but one large (?) stream out of their factory that forks several times until it reaches your specific vendor. Your vendor gets only a portion of what his distributor receives, and the distributor competes with other distributors about the factory output - and there may be more steps involved. So your number 50 in yout particular queue may actually mean you get the 5000th camera worldwide - or the 500th or 50000th! Even if we did know blackmagics production capacities we still couldn't deduce when to expect your camera... Only one thing is certain: it won't be in the next couple of days.

DavidJames

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 2:24 am

I hate to say it but #50 in line in the UK and it could be past September. The US will get the first shipments as we have seen before and then the rest of the world. If its like the BMCC delivery its 2 to 3 camera per shipment to each store. Thats 4 months if it super slow.
thekreative
www.thekreative.com

Mattrileydop

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 am

I am in UK also, couldn't find out my place in the queue with my dealer, I ordered at the front end of may. I have actually put down another deposit with another dealer now, I'm 14 in that queue so now I'll wait and see who can get it first and get a refund on the second.

I'm ok so long as I get it by mid Nov, the first job I've specifically planned to use the BMPCC

Return to Cinematography