Rookie question about lens

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

guerrass

Rookie question about lens

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi everyone! I'm about to film a short documentary, and I found Blackmagic Pocket Camera a good option (since I don't have my own camera) to start.

In your opinion, and don't forget I'm a total newbie to this (gear stuff :? - but I want to learn about it ), what's the best first lens to buy? For an acceptable price... but with reasonable quality.

Thanks everyone :D

Mac Jaeger

Re: Rookie question about lens

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Buy the camera first - might take a while until it's your turn to receive it, probably early next year (not joking). In the meantime read all the reviews from people who preordered in april and closely examine the test footage they surely are going to provide. And ask yourself what you need, as there is no single one best lens.

Jules Bushell

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 12:06 am

Just don't forget about the crop factor on the BMPCC as this affects the field of view of the lenses. I know the sensor size is smaller than the BMCC, I think its 2.28/2.9 smaller but I'm sure others here can correct me.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Jason Hinkle

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 12:07 am

Well, the EF version of the BMCC seems to work with most, but not all lenses. So, it might be safe to assume that the Pocket cam MFT mount might be a similar situation. In which case it would be a good idea to see some type of lens compatibility list before choosing your lens. As somebody above said, it might be a while before all the orders are fulfilled. So you don't want to buy a lens now and have your return period expire before you get your camera.

That being said, in order to keep things simple, I would look for an MFT mount zoom that had a practical zoom range for the sensor size. This would allow you to learn without spending a ton of cash and then you may decide to get specialty lenses later. I have no idea if this lens will wind up being compatible, and people may argue with me about the range. But, I think something like this would be a good beginner lens: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-14-45mm ... B002IKLJV4

guerrass

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 5:53 am

Hey thanks everyone for the answers.
Just two questions for now:
- Mac Jaeger, why do you say that the camera will arrive so late? I went to a shop and they told me they're expecting to be able to deliver in the beginning of August...
- what about this lens? Will it work with the blackmagic pocket? Is it a good choice?
http://m.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_m_14-150_4-5p6_o20

Thanks again!

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 3:22 pm

guerrass wrote:- Mac Jaeger, why do you say that the camera will arrive so late? I went to a shop and they told me they're expecting to be able to deliver in the beginning of August...

To understand my concerns, you have to look back one year when the Cinema Camera was supposed to ship. First it was delayed for many weeks due to technical issues, and after that it took months to fullfill the preorders, especially in europe; obviously us-american distributors ordered larger quantities than european ones and got the major part of the production, while the single one (!) distributor for the whole of europe got only a hand full of cameras every week. When cameras were finally available off the shelves in america europeans still had to wait...
- what about this lens? Will it work with the blackmagic pocket? Is it a good choice?
http://m.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_m_14-150_4-5p6_o20

Please keep in mind that most olympus/panasonic lenses exhibit distorted images, which are cleaned up by their respective camera firmware; yet the blackmagic camera doesn't rectify the images. This lens will behave like a 30 mm to 400 mm lens on full frame, so it's a normal to wide lens; it only is of moderate speed, not so good for interiours.

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 6:15 pm

guerrass wrote:Hi everyone! I'm about to film a short documentary, and I found Blackmagic Pocket Camera a good option (since I don't have my own camera) to start.

In your opinion, and don't forget I'm a total newbie to this (gear stuff :? - but I want to learn about it ), what's the best first lens to buy? For an acceptable price... but with reasonable quality.

You don't describe your lens requirement to be able to know what might work best for you. And will you have the camera on a tripod or other stabilizer or held in your hands or on a small rig? If you don't need image stabilization in the lens, then one of the most exciting lenses, that would cover normal, portrait, and mild telephoto angles of view on the BMPCC, is the new Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 zoom. You will get a fast aperture, decent rectilinear image with little distortion and a sharp image. To cover a wide angle, I'd recommend the SLR Magic 12mm T1.6. Those two lenses might be your workhorses depending upon the type of documentary.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

guerrass

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 7:28 pm

rick.lang,
I will film with tripod and shoulder rig kit, both interior and exterior, in various time of the day.
So, in your opinion, what are the best lens to start? Again I must say that the lens must be in a more affordable price...

guerrass

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Mac Jaeger,
sorry can you explain me please what you said about the distortion?
And why will the lens behave like a 30 mm to 400 mm lens on full frame? 400mm lenses aren't supposed to be super-telephoto, if so, why have you said that will go from "normal" to wide?
Thanks!

guerrass

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Another option:
My dad has some canon EF lens... is there any kind of problem (like distortion or something like that) if I use them with an adapter for micro 4/3?

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm

guerrass wrote:rick.lang,
I will film with tripod and shoulder rig kit, both interior and exterior, in various time of the day.
So, in your opinion, what are the best lens to start? Again I must say that the lens must be in a more affordable price...

What do you want to spend in total for lenses? Do you want one zoom or a couple of prime (fixed focal length) lenses?

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Robert RED

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi guerrass

Watch here: http://rokinon.com/catalog.php

I have the complete Kit (8/ 14/ 24/ 35/ 85 mm), for me the best choice (price/quality).

Tip:
For Portrait you need a 35mm - 50mm- 85mm
For Landscape & Architecture 14mm and 24mm

But with time you will find your favorite lens.

REMEMBER THE CROP FACTOR

Take Care

- RED -
Every Day is a drop of Life
Email: red@robertred.ch
Facebook: facebook.com/followRobertRED
Vimeo: vimeo.com/channels/robertred
BMDCC Channel: Vimeo: vimeo.com/channels/bmdcc

guerrass

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 9:18 pm

rick.lang wrote:What do you want to spend in total for lenses? Do you want one zoom or a couple of prime (fixed focal length) lenses?

Well about 600$... what's the best option within that range?

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 9:21 pm

guerrass wrote:Mac Jaeger,
sorry can you explain me please what you said about the distortion?
And why will the lens behave like a 30 mm to 400 mm lens on full frame? 400mm lenses aren't supposed to be super-telephoto, if so, why have you said that will go from "normal" to wide?
Thanks!

Sorry, typos. Of course 400 mm are super-tele, not super-wide - it's been a long day here ;-)

The Pocket CC has a crop factor of almost 3 (2.88 to be exact), this means that a 14 mm lens on Pocket CC will capture the same field of view as a 40 mm lens on a full frame sensor, that is considered a "normal" lens.

About distortion: the lens you linked is designed to work on olympus/panasonic micro-four-thirds cameras. These cameras "know" what lens is attached and perform image correction to counteract the distortions the lens produces. This way the lens can be built simpler & cheaper and still capture straight lines. Other cameras, like the Pocket CC, don't apply the same (or any!) image correction but capture the native, unaltered image, so using "cheap" lenses the images will be distorted.

guerrass

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:Sorry, typos. Of course 400 mm are super-tele, not super-wide - it's been a long day here ;-)

The Pocket CC has a crop factor of almost 3 (2.88 to be exact), this means that a 14 mm lens on Pocket CC will capture the same field of view as a 40 mm lens on a full frame sensor, that is considered a "normal" lens.

About distortion: the lens you linked is designed to work on olympus/panasonic micro-four-thirds cameras. These cameras "know" what lens is attached and perform image correction to counteract the distortions the lens produces. This way the lens can be built simpler & cheaper and still capture straight lines. Other cameras, like the Pocket CC, don't apply the same (or any!) image correction but capture the native, unaltered image, so using "cheap" lenses the images will be distorted.

In the descrtiption of this video it says that most footage was filmed with panasonic and olympus lenses...

And I don't see the distortion that you speak of... any trick? Or are my eyes just not working so well :?

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 pm

guerrass wrote:
rick.lang wrote:What do you want to spend in total for lenses? Do you want one zoom or a couple of prime (fixed focal length) lenses?

Well about 600$... what's the best option within that range?

I assume you still want a lens with reasonably good performance and if it is a new lens, there is not a lot of choice. I would not buy any zoom lens that does not keep a constant aperture for documentary work. And you want a fast lens to help with the indoor shooting. So if you want a useful zoom, I'd get the one that is just above your budget, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. Reports from those using this brand new zoom are positive. If not, go for one prime at a time:

If it suits your particular needs, you might start with the Sigma
30mm f/1.4 ED HSM prime that costs $499. That lens may be too long but its perfect for portraiture if the documentary is talking heads.

There is a Samyang 16mm f/2.0 that has been announced for $480 and should be available by the time you get your camera.

There is a SLR Magic 23mm ciné lens f/1.7 for $400 that may be available in that timeframe.

And possibly a SLR Magic 12mm f/1.6 for $500 that will be a medium wide angle but might work if you are shooting more than one or two people in the same frame.

If you don't mind the uncorrected distortion on the Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f/1.7 ASPH, it will cost $429 or less and is a nice fast pancake lens. The distortion may not be objectionable if you are concentrating on people and not architecture.

Pick what works best and then save for your second best and so on.

The other alternative is finding used lenses of course, and there are many options.

Rick Lang
Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rick Lang

Ryan Jones

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 pm

guerrass wrote:

In the descrtiption of this video it says that most footage was filmed with panasonic and olympus lenses...

And I don't see the distortion that you speak of... any trick? Or are my eyes just not working so well :?

You'll probably get distortion if you're using super wide lenses, like the Panny 7-14mm, but most other lenses don't seem to be causing distortion in Johns demo footage.

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 12:06 am

The lenses John used are the good ones, mostly primes. And as John is an excellent videographer he just knows when to use which lens...

But if you want to see the effect i was talking about, take a look at Johns earlier footage here: . Especially pay attention to the bent horizon, e.g. around 1:30 . This was shot with the (rather inexpensive) 14-42 panasonic lens.

guerrass

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 4:48 pm

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/oly ... p5-5p6_o20

Is it a good option? Since they cover from wide to telephoto - and arent very expensive?
I may buy other lens from time to time, but to begin with... what do you say?

guerrass

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 5:11 pm

One more question:
If the BMPCC makes 3x over full frame... how can I get a wide lens ???

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 6:31 pm

As you found out, the 14-42 doesn't qualify as a wide lens on the pocket cinema camera. You need to get something even shorter, like a 8 mm prime lens, or maybe the 7-14 panasonic (short of $1k) or the 9-18 olympus (around $500).

Bytheway: The one you linked above is a four-thirds lens, yet for the pocket cc you need a micro-four-thirds lens, those are usually called "m.zuiko" by olympus, while "zuiko" alone denotes the (non micro) four-thirds lenses. You could also use an adaptor. Consider that the olympus lenses don't have image stabilisation built in!

If you want to start cheap, get yourself a used panasonic 14-42 mft lens, they are the standard kit lenses for their mft-bodies and usually sell below $100 on ebay. Get acustomed to your lens and figure out where to go from there: do you need a wider lens? Or a faster one? Once you know what you need you can look for suitable primes or zoom lenses, although the primes usually are either better, cheaper, or both. You can also adapt a wide array of other lenses to the mft bajonet, e.g. almost every nikon lens ever built.

guerrass

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:If you want to start cheap, get yourself a used panasonic 14-42 mft lens, they are the standard kit lenses for their mft-bodies and usually sell below $100 on ebay. Get acustomed to your lens and figure out where to go from there: do you need a wider lens? Or a faster one? Once you know what you need you can look for suitable primes or zoom lenses, although the primes usually are either better, cheaper, or both. You can also adapt a wide array of other lenses to the mft bajonet, e.g. almost every nikon lens ever built.

Thanks for that info...
But please help me understand this, whats preferable (besides the price):
-> buying a Panasonic 14-42mm (Lumix G Vario PZ F/3.5-5.6)
or
-> buying Olympus 45mm (ET-M4518 1:1.8) AND a Panasonic 14mm (F2.5 Asph Lumix G)
???

Thanks again! ;)

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 pm

Both primes are a lot faster than the zoom lens, that means: they gather more light in the same time, thus you can shot with less additional light or even available light in more situations. The 45 mm olympus won't have image stabilisation though, which you might need if not using a tripod; remember: on the pocket cc the 45 mm will behave like a telephoto lens!

Ryan Jones

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 10:40 pm

If your dad has EF lenses, remember the Metabones Speedbooster for EF will be out later this year (hopefully) and will be a good solution for mounting your EF lenses to a M4/3 camera.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 11:45 pm

Ryan Jones wrote:If your dad has EF lenses, remember the Metabones Speedbooster for EF will be out later this year (hopefully) and will be a good solution for mounting your EF lenses to a M4/3 camera.

The budget is only $600 and those EF lenses are not going to function on the BMCC passive MFT. The Metabones Speed Booster would be a better option though on the BMPCC active MFT with support for iris and focus and presumably image stabilization when applicable. Good point Ryan.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Ryan Jones

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 2:57 am

rick.lang wrote:
Ryan Jones wrote:If your dad has EF lenses, remember the Metabones Speedbooster for EF will be out later this year (hopefully) and will be a good solution for mounting your EF lenses to a M4/3 camera.

The budget is only $600 and those EF lenses are not going to function on the BMCC passive MFT. The Metabones Speed Booster would be a better option though on the BMPCC active MFT with support for iris and focus and presumably image stabilization when applicable. Good point Ryan.

Rick Lang

Good point Rick, although OP was asking about the pocket can so hopefully the active mount will work well. We will see...

guerrass

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 3:26 am

I think I'll get Panasonic 14mm F2.5 Asph Lumix G or/plus Panasonic 14-42mm.
But I'm not sure what to get if I need a wider lens :? What's the cheapest choice for a wide lens in this case? Just in case I really need a wide shot.

guerrass

adamroberts

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 4:53 am

They are identical in their focal length and aperture range but the PZ version has a Power Zoom (not sure it that's supported on the BMPCC) while the other version is performs better optically according to DxO.

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 4:04 pm

adamroberts wrote:They are identical in their focal length and aperture range but the PZ version has a Power Zoom (not sure it that's supported on the BMPCC) while the other version is performs better optically according to DxO.

That's right. I have both on my panasonic stills camera, and though the powerzoom is more expensive i find the image quality of the unpowered lens a tid better, especially around the edges. But that may not be an issue on the Pocket CC that has only 1080 resolution ("only" from a still images point of view).

guerrass

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Oh god! And now a great price reduction on the BMCC!
I still haven't ordered the pocket one... should I buy the "big brother" now?
If so, what's the best option: EF or MFT?
Thanks again.

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 6:56 pm

guerrass wrote:If so, what's the best option: EF or MFT?

Depends (as usual...). Do you already own some lenses? If buying the 2k5 camera with mft mount, keep in mind that the 2k5 mft is a passive mount (i.e. providing no power or electronics), while the pocket cc has an active mft mount that can power image stabilisers and control focus. And if you're not decided yet, wether to buy the bargain 2k5 modell: take some time and add the neccessary accessories, like ssd and dock, and compare to the pocket cam - the price might seem a little less bargain-y then. On the other hand: the CC 2k5 is in stock, while we still have no clue when the first pocket CCs will hit the stores, and how hard they'll hit... So if you can't or just don't want to wait any longer, its now cheaper than ever to enter the 2K++ world!

guerrass

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:Depends (as usual...). Do you already own some lenses?

MFT: nope. But I got some old EF's.

Mac Jaeger wrote:take some time and add the neccessary accessories, like ssd and dock

Can it be any SSD? What's a dock? :?

Mac Jaeger wrote: If buying the 2k5 camera with mft mount, keep in mind that the 2k5 mft is a passive mount (i.e. providing no power or electronics), while the pocket cc has an active mft mount that can power image stabilisers and control focus.

Well... in that case, what's better?

-> stick with the pocket version?
OR
-> get the BBCC EF?
OR
-> is there any way, like an adapter, in order to become active (in the BMPCC MFT)?

Chris Quevedo

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 12:42 pm

rick.lang wrote:
guerrass wrote:Hi everyone! I'm about to film a short documentary, and I found Blackmagic Pocket Camera a good option (since I don't have my own camera) to start.

You don't describe your lens requirement to be able to know what might work best for you. And will you have the camera on a tripod or other stabilizer or held in your hands or on a small rig? If you don't need image stabilization in the lens, then one of the most exciting lenses, that would cover normal, portrait, and mild telephoto angles of view on the BMPCC, is the new Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 zoom. You will get a fast aperture, decent rectilinear image with little distortion and a sharp image. To cover a wide angle, I'd recommend the SLR Magic 12mm T1.6. Those two lenses might be your workhorses depending upon the type of documentary.

Rick Lang

Mac Jaeger

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 5:25 pm

guerrass wrote:Can it be any SSD? What's a dock? :?

You should use SSDs that blackmagic approved for this camera. A dock is a kind of "card reader" for harddrives and ssds, where you plug your ssd in and transfer the data to your media-drive.

-> stick with the pocket version?
OR
-> get the BBCC EF?
OR
-> is there any way, like an adapter, in order to become active (in the BMPCC MFT)?

The CC-MFT doesn't have any "wires" to control the lenses, so even though there are "active" adapters (very expensive!) the camera still has no way to set the iris when you push the button, like on CC-EF or PocketCC. In my opinion the PocketCCs active MFT is the most versatile of the three options.

dfarwell

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 12:20 am

Sorry if off topic but any thoughts on best camera (bmcc or bmpc) for my existing lensing:

Tokina 11-16
Canon EFS 17-55 2.8 is
Canon EF 70-200 1.8 is

Thanks.....

Uli Plank

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 10:47 am

Since adapters for EF lenses to MFT are either very expensive or crap, go with the BMCC EF.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ryan Jones

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 11:42 am

nomad wrote:Since adapters for EF lenses to MFT are either very expensive or crap, go with the BMCC EF.

Metabones Speedbooster is coming, and will change that dramatically.

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:02 pm

dfarwell wrote:Sorry if off topic but any thoughts on best camera (bmcc or bmpc) for my existing lensing:

Tokina 11-16
Canon EFS 17-55 2.8 is
Canon EF 70-200 2.8 is

Thanks.....

Certainly an easy choice is the BMCC EF with an active mount. The BMCC MFT is possible with an adapter but you won't have full functionality.

With the future active mount Metabones Speed Booster for EF/MFT, you have an active mount on the BMPCC to take advantage of the lenses in terms of iris control, focus once, and image stabilization (where applicable). The lenses with MSB will gain a full stop and their respective widest focal lengths become 8mm, 12mm, and 50mm. On the BMPCC with MSB, they will have a full-frame equivalent widest focal length of about 22.5mm, 35mm, and 143mm. At the long end of the zoom, with the MSB, you have effectively 33mm, 112mm, and 409mm.

BMPCC+MSB $1,600 estimated total cost
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 --> 22.5-35mm f/2.0
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 --> 35-112mm f/2.0
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 --> 143-409mm f/2.0

BMCC EF $2,000
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 --> 25-36.5mm f/2.8
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 --> 39-125mm f/2.8
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 --> 160-456mm f/2.8

BMPC4K $4,000
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 --> 19-27mm f/2.8
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 --> 29-93.5mm f/2.8
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 --> 119-340mm f/2.8

Rick Lang
Last edited by rick.lang on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Chris Quevedo

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:21 pm

rick.lang wrote:
dfarwell wrote:Sorry if off topic but any thoughts on best camera (bmcc or bmpc) for my existing lensing:

Tokina 11-16
Canon EFS 17-55 2.8 is
Canon EF 70-200 1.8 is

Thanks.....

Certainly an easy choice is the BMCC EF with an active mount. The BMCC MFT is possible with an adapter but you won't have full functionality.

With the future active mount Metabones Speed Booster for EF/MFT, you have an active mount on the BMPCC to take advantage of the lenses in terms of iris control, focus once, and image stabilization (where applicable). The lenses with MSB will gain a full stop and their respective widest focal lengths become 8mm, 12mm, and 50mm. On the BMPCC with MSB, they will have a full-frame equivalent widest focal length of about 22.5mm, 35mm, and 143mm. At the long end of the zoom, with the MSB, you have effectively 33mm, 112mm, and 409mm.

Canon 70-200mm f1.8 --> 143-409mm f/1.2

BMCC EF $2,000
Canon 70-200mm f1.8 --> 160-456mm f/1.8

BMPC4K $4,000
Canon 70-200mm f1.8 --> 119-340mm f/1.8

Rick Lang

thank goodness you said this, i was about to. this forum needs the ability to "like" posts

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Chris Daniel wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Tokina 11-16
Canon EFS 17-55 2.8 is
Canon EF 70-200 1.8 is

Thanks.....

Canon 70-200mm f1.8 --> 143-409mm f/1.2

BMCC EF $2,000
Canon 70-200mm f1.8 --> 160-456mm f/1.8

BMPC4K $4,000
Canon 70-200mm f1.8 --> 119-340mm f/1.8

Rick Lang

thank goodness you said this, i was about to. this forum needs the ability to "like" posts

Thanks, Chris. Appreciate your comment since I appear to have upset others recently with my perspective.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

dfarwell

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks for input....my typo...70-200 is 2.8 not 1.8

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 3:46 am

dfarwell wrote:Thanks for input....my typo...70-200 is 2.8 not 1.8

You're welcome. I wondered about the Canon 70-200 f/1.8. Would have been a nice find! I'll correct my post.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography