New Camera(s) for 2020?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Griffin

Re: New Camera(s) for 2020?

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 am

Wayne Steven wrote:A new Ursa X is likely to be improved. Never know about a new pocket, but a new micro with better sensir would get worth looking at.

So it will have an OLPF?
Dell XPS 7590 i9 9980HK, GTX1650m, 64gb RAM
1Tb NVME C drive,
2TB SSD 2nd internal.
GTX 1080ti eGPU,

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 11:44 am

Wayne Steven wrote:A new Ursa X is likely to be improved. Never know about a new pocket, but a new micro with better sensir would get worth looking at.

I doubt a new URSA Mini will be introduced this year. Mainly because the G2 is less than a year old and if Blackmagic is introducing a new sensor they’ll want to take the time to do it. Thus it will be another year before they do. They can improve upon the G2 right now with Firmware Updates. They still have some of the new features brought to the Pockets to bring to the G2. Also, some of the suggestions I’ve made for Slate Metadata and even what I said for BRAW Presets could be worthwhile ideas to ill mo prove upon what’s there in the G2.

I’ll always wonder why people need a new phone every year. The same can be said about a new camera. The only reason I’ll get a Pocket 6K this year is to have a B-Cam with BRAW capability. That’s mainly because BRAW never came to the Original URSA Mini. Otherwise, I technically don’t need a new camera because I still have two very good cameras that work well together. Alas, the UM4.6K is never getting BRAW.

Otherwise, the only camera I see getting a update is the Micro… and that might be to make it competitive to the new RED Komodo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2, URSA Mini 4.6K EF & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Late 2015) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Wayne Steven

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 2:23 am

Tim. The sensor hasn't really been upgraded in basic picture performance for many years, and it's no Alexa yet, which is about to receive a moderate upgraded to pull further ahead again, or Sony sensors which have received a number of upgrades in the same time (but you really have to Pay for the best models to get more of it (Venice+), I think). I would have expected a 16 stop upgrade years ago. Maybe they are planning something spectacular, or to go to a new sensor?

While a new mini could come, a full frame Ursa X model is possible. Upgrade of the Fairchild to fullframe with newest technology would be most promising boost in resolution, but if it was 8k next years s24 mini with the same upgraded pixel technology would be a welcome 5.66k. They are planning something, but what?

Still, micro/studio deserves an good upgrade. I think we will see two new cameras at least this year. We might see an announcement before NAB and a preview at NAB again or latter in the year release. I would hope both together. But, in such a case, I would prefer the micro first, but in reality, the main can would be first and the micro at.the same time or latter. The 6k was a pleasant dissapiontment to have that instead of a $995AU micro. But, we need nano action cams which can remote head, multipoint and use the VA a camera control in multi point. Unfortunately thunderbolt is being held back and synchronised with the inferior USB, but at least USB catches up to Thunderbolt 3 speeds. That would have made a very good remote head cable system, as TB optical dues a long length. However, another story, is what's behind the TV backwardness, as pci 4 and 5 speeds are most welcome for technical purposes and even displays and consumer TV. But you can't just put the two specs innlock step as PCI is meant to be short haul compared to TB, to maximise performance over copper, lengthy matters (but reminds me of a new technique, I forget wether plasmids?). Maybe Intel is finally readying on silicon on board optical, which TB was said to be getting from the start, or maybe they are going to one of the new high speed fabric/interconnects.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.

Clarence Williams

PostSun Feb 02, 2020 4:35 pm

If they do come out with a newer camera I hope it's not the Ursa line. I'm still in love with my black magic cinema camera looking for something like the BMCC w/a bigger sensor and resolution!

FocusPlay

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Personally, I'd like to see:

-Pocket s16/M43 sensor in a Sony Handycam form factor: It'd be nice to be able to pickup a small handcam style camera and just GO.
-3-5" flip out touch screen with your card slots underneath just like the Ursa Mini.
-A rosette on each side so we can use the current Ursa Mini handle. if not then maybe a pistol grip option.
-Sony NPF battery on the back (once again mirroring the handycam style)
-5-Axis stabilization would be game-changing but isn't a deal breaker
-Wouldn't mind if the lens was fixed, but of course interchangeable would be ideal

You guys think I'm asking for too much?

Frank Engel

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 4:05 pm

I'm sitting here trying to picture a handycam with a side handle... or a pistol grip for that matter...

8-)

In my head, those things don't seem to belong together. A pistol grip could theoretically be attached like a tripod with a short cable to a remote port, however...

Steve Holmlund

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 4:29 pm

FocusPlay wrote:Personally, I'd like to see:

-Pocket s16/M43 sensor in a Sony Handycam form factor: It'd be nice to be able to pickup a small handcam style camera and just GO.
-3-5" flip out touch screen with your card slots underneath just like the Ursa Mini.
-A rosette on each side so we can use the current Ursa Mini handle. if not then maybe a pistol grip option.
-Wouldn't mind if the lens was fixed, but of course interchangeable would be ideal

Not sure about your specific list but I do think they need to address usability in the Pocket form factor. IMHO, they are one ProRes license away (e.g. Panasonic or Sony on a sub-$2.5K mirrorless) from being in a world of hurt.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Wayne Steven

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 pm

Sony do do 1 inch camcorders for years. Pretty nice except the datarate and lower bit depth etc.

Frank,

Camcorders with a swivel grip or side handle have been out for decades. I've got two Sharp view cams with the camera mounted in the side handle.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.

Wayne Steven

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 7:51 pm

At this moment, I wish I had a camcorder version of one of those miniature keychain cameras and a full size grip to put together and post a picture of. :)

Que Thompson

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 7:59 pm

Holy Macaroni. I'm not sure who this is for... Other than you of course.

kevin_p

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 8:24 pm

I would be happy with an updated Micro Cinema camera. Love the form factor. It is USEABLE. Can we get a pocket 4 without an screen. Square shape. Then it has a fighting chance to ride on a gimbal.

FocusPlay

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 10:15 pm

Frank Engel wrote:I'm sitting here trying to picture a handycam with a side handle... or a pistol grip for that matter...

8-)

In my head, those things don't seem to belong together. A pistol grip could theoretically be attached like a tripod with a short cable to a remote port, however...

@Frank I'm thinking of the Digital Bolex form factor but less tear dropped shaped and with a flip out screen.

FocusPlay

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 10:19 pm

Steve Holmlund wrote:
Not sure about your specific list but I do think they need to address usability in the Pocket form factor. IMHO, they are one ProRes license away (e.g. Panasonic or Sony on a sub-$2.5K mirrorless) from being in a world of hurt.

Steve

I wholeheartedly agree the form-factor of the pocket 4K is less than ideal. However, I do understand why they went that route. I think they were trying to capture some of the same users who would have already invested in parts and pieces for their mirrorless Sony's and Panasonics.

Paul Jonathan

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 11:04 pm

I agree Kevin - a P4k Sensor in a micro-cinema package would be all I need in my book to make me happy.

FocusPlay

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 11:17 pm

Que Thompson wrote:

Holy Macaroni. I'm not sure who this is for... Other than you of course.

Imagine if the JVC GY-LS300 could shoot BRAW and ProRES

sjaehnert

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 2:21 am

Why someone would want to the pocket 4k/6k sensor without the amazing touchscreen they built for it, boggles my mind. Everything sensor-wise is starting to look the same in the camera world. I hope the next BM camera has a different sensor, even if just to differentiate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timbutt2

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 3:27 am

Based on what I'm seeing from the details about the RED Komodo I'd say that a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera update is in order. A very small and compact camera that has complete wireless control capabilities. Maybe a wireless control from a new 5" Video Assist that has built in Bluetooth.

Otherwise, I'm open to the an URSA 65. Bigger than Full Frame, and beautiful 65mm sensor. Or 70mm sensor. Either way, I'm kind of just having fun here.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2, URSA Mini 4.6K EF & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Late 2015) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

kevin_p

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 6:12 am

@sjaehnert The 4k has to be rigged when I use it, which includes external battery + monitor. With all the physical quick access buttons on the BMPCC4K I rarely have to look at the screen. For reference. I have one button set to ISO 400...One to ISO 3200...And the last false color. Since I am shooting RAW I don't need to adjust white balance. At that point I am good to go.
Previous

Return to Cinematography