Focal Lengths/Cropping on HD vs 4K studio cameras

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Landsleaving

Focal Lengths/Cropping on HD vs 4K studio cameras

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:23 am

I currently own a BMPCC and studio camera HD.

Looking to get some cameras for work that need to look down from above a table. The BMPCC at 4k is ideal as a wide show with a 14-42mm lens, but I need SDI out.

The Studio 4K or Micro Studio 4K seem like my best options, but the HD version of the studio cam is much tighter than the BMPCC at 4k - it matches the shot of the BMPCC in 1080p windowed.

Does anyone have both the 4k studio or micro and a HD version as there's no local retailer with both and I want to test if the shot is wider on the 4k.

It seems as though the HD cam crops similarly to HD mode on the BMPCC, turning a 2x crop factor to approx 4x.

Thanks!

Howard Roll

Re: Focal Lengths/Cropping on HD vs 4K studio cameras

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 pm

All the cams you're talking about save the P4K are 1" sensors, 12.5mm horizontally for the HD sensor and 13mm for the 4k. The P4K is 19mm across so you'll need about 9mm to emulate a 14mm on that camera. I think the Oly 9-18mm is a comparable zoom, Laowa makes a 9mm, and the SLR Magic 10mm is great.

Good Luck

Robert Niessner

Re: Focal Lengths/Cropping on HD vs 4K studio cameras

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 8:06 am

I'd like to add to what Howard wrote:
The PCC4K with the Olympus Pro 7-14 mm f2.8 would be ideal because at 9 mm its barrel distortion is quite low, its very sharp and bright.

Because you wrote that you need SDI, why not combine the HDMI out of the PCC4K with the BMD HDMI to SDI Mini converter? In a studio setup that should work beautifully.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Return to Cinematography