Black magic video assist 12g

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

scottdavey

Black magic video assist 12g

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Does the new video assist record braw with black magic cameras or just the two third party cameras?

rick.lang

Re: Black magic video assist 12g

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 9:07 pm

AFAIK the URSA Mini 4.6 K is not supported... yet.
Rick Lang

samroden

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 2:09 am

Has there been any word on when these will be available?

rick.lang

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 2:45 am

New 12g HDR Video Assist 7" release update
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
Rick Lang

scottdavey

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 6:16 pm

There is stock out now, Mine came yesterday, Software is very buggy especially audio.
I have attached it to a bmcc4k to test it, I can't change format at all. it just says 1080p25 through a 4k HDMI cable supposed to be able to change it but does nothing.

Archibaldo de la Cruz

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 7:34 pm

If processor power is the problem that's preventing BRAW on the original Ursa Mini 4.6K, and if the new video assists can provide that power, then Blackmagic should do whatever it can technically to make it happen and moderators should tell us on this forum what's going on either way.

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 4:38 am

Purchased the Blackmagic Video Assist 12G 7” today! Maybe I should have waited for more feedback, but prices are changing for no apparent reason so grabbed it at last year’s price while I can. Perhaps it won’t be perfect at this point, but if 24 fps works well, I’ll be happy. I’ll use one of my NP-F970 batteries to test it but that might have to wait until February to put it through its paces.

I have HDMI quality HD cables that I hope can carry a 4K signal. Does anyone know if they are likely to work or should I find new HDMI cables that are certified for 4K? I should look through the BMVA12G7 manual more carefully!
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 5:26 am

It's still on my Wish List. I do plan on buying one, but I may wait to be sure there isn't a Bluetooth Blackmagic Video Assist at NAB 2020. I'd really like to be able to control camera features from the the monitor.

Otherwise, my next to main Blackmagic purchase will likely be that Pocket 6K... and may even buy that newly announced Edelkrone JibONE, which would be pretty boss to use with a Pocket 6K.

Still nonetheless I have the money for a 7" 12G VA. Just want to hold out for till I'm certain it's worth it.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

scottdavey

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 10:50 am

I'm finding it quite buggy at the moment, I did ask support about a couple of things, but that was 4 days ago and no responce.

I have just seen a video on the Nikon z6 shooting raw to an atomos through HDMI.

I do hope BM can spend the time making this work with many cameras as I for one would change my Nikon camera to the Z6 for this reason.
I'm feeling Slight regret at the moment.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 6:21 pm

First, your Pocket 4K Camera only outputs a 1080p signal (output is meant for a monitor), not UHD or 4K, so the Video Assist is only able to record or display the input resolution. The Nikon Z6;is in the process of being updated to allow a “Raw” video signal to work (so far) only with a Atomos Ninja V. The Z6 can output its video signal up to UHD for external recording, as it does not record ProRes internally, like the Pocket 4/6K can do.

As with all Video Assists and any other external recorder, you can only record the quality and resolution level the camera is capable of outputting, so you are not going to get a 4K recording option when your Camera can only output 1080p (at frame rate Camera is set to). You would need a up/down cross converter to do this, which the VA does not do. Their are some monitors that Will upscale a HD signal to UHD or 4K, but the VA is not one that can do this.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

scottdavey

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 7:57 am

Thanks Denny

It did notice that within the hour of playing with it. the pocket was just a test vehicle really.
It's more the point that we start seeing updates coming out for other cameras to record braw that are capable of sending out the signal.
Regards Scott

Return to Cinematography