Unpleasant lines on wall - Light waves?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

brianmarigold

Unpleasant lines on wall - Light waves?

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:43 pm

I recently filmed some footage with a Blackmagic Pocket 6K camera, set to 1080 resolution. The subject was about 2.5 feet away from a white wall and was lit by a single lowel pro pointed directly at the subject and with no diffusion, soft box or umbrella. The resulting images show unwanted / unpleasant curved lines on the wall to the left of the subject and these lines seem curiously low-resolution or interpreted at a low bit rate.

Can someone please explain what is happening here, and how I can avoid this in the future?

Many thanks in advance.
Brian
Attachments
IMG_2496.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG (73.18 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
crop.jpg
crop.jpg (868.1 KiB) Viewed 1333 times

Andy Coulthurst

Re: Unpleasant lines on wall - Light waves?

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 5:54 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding

Add a little noise or increase the bit depth.

Howard Roll

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 6:21 pm

How can you downsample a 6K sensor to HD at 10 bit and still get banding on a greyscale?

You broke it.

brianmarigold

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 7:05 pm

“Add a little noise or increase the bit depth.”

Thanks Andy. So then, do you think this was this more likely an issue in the capture ( ie. my Blackmagic camera’s settings?) or how the images are being interpreted in post production (incorrect settings in adobe premiere pro)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianmarigold

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 7:07 pm

“How can you downsample a 6K sensor to HD at 10 bit and still get banding on a greyscale?

You broke it.”

Do you think this is more likely a problem with the post production settings (adobe premiere pro) and how it is interpreting the images, or something in the Blackmagic 6K’s settings? Thanks.

Howard Roll

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 7:48 pm

brianmarigold wrote:“How can you downsample a 6K sensor to HD at 10 bit and still get banding on a greyscale?

You broke it.”

Do you think this is more likely a problem with the post production settings (adobe premiere pro) and how it is interpreting the images, or something in the Blackmagic 6K’s settings? Thanks.

You can test this in 5 seconds by opening a clip outside of Premier.

Unless you're shooting 120fps proxy, I'd guess the problem was somewhere in your processing pipeline. If you wan't an actual solution post some details and I'm sure someone can help you out.

Good Luck

John Griffin

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 8:29 am

brianmarigold wrote:I recently filmed some footage with a Blackmagic Pocket 6K camera, set to 1080 resolution. The subject was about 2.5 feet away from a white wall and was lit by a single lowel pro pointed directly at the subject and with no diffusion, soft box or umbrella. The resulting images show unwanted / unpleasant curved lines on the wall to the left of the subject and these lines seem curiously low-resolution or interpreted at a low bit rate.

Can someone please explain what is happening here, and how I can avoid this in the future?

Many thanks in advance.
Brian

Are these pictures screen grabs from your monitor or saved stills from the timeline?

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 2:39 pm

Post a link so we can download the original files and see what’s really going on. Also provide details of how the images got from your camera card to the screen on which you grabbed the image.

I’d bet that you’re processing and/or monitoring the file in 8bits, so you’re seeing typical 8bit artifacts in the screen grabs, so problem is with what you’re doing in post, not anything in the source file from the camera.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Return to Cinematography