Timecode BMPCC 4K and BMPCC 6K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

UserOS

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 pm

The timecode constantly works in cameras. How to reset it simultaneously on all cameras? So that it starts on all cameras from the “0” mark before shooting? Without this, synchronization is not possible. Why then do you need a timecode?
Ryzen 9 5950X / MSI RTX 4090 Liquid X / DDR4 64Gb / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500Gb / Windows 11 Pro 23H2 / BMPCC 4K

Robert Niessner

Re: Timecode BMPCC 4K and BMPCC 6K

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 10:21 pm

The cameras are using time of day timecode, it is always running.
You have to jam sync to a timecode generator, that's the only way to get them synced.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

robedge

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 10:22 pm

You use a device to set the same time, and maintain the time, on each of the cameras, such as this one: https://tentaclesync.com/sync-e

There’s a pretty good chance that you’ll need a box like that for each camera and keep it attached all the time that you’re shooting. The boxes, regardless of manufacturer (there are a few), cost about US$300 each.

Or you could use a slate or clap your hands in view of the camera(s).
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 10:53 pm

UserOS wrote:The timecode constantly works in cameras. How to reset it simultaneously on all cameras? So that it starts on all cameras from the “0” mark before shooting? Without this, synchronization is not possible. Why then do you need a timecode?

Here is the story with time code.

On the more sophisticated cameras there is FREE RUN and RECORD RUN.

RECORD RUN is the one you can reset to 00:00:00:00.(hh:mm:ss:ff)
In the days of tape we would use this to number the tape/roll.
RECORD RUN time only runs when the camera is recording.

FREE RUN runs continuously like any normal clock.

FREE RUN is the one used when you need to sync several devices together. As stated by previous posters that is when you use external time code generators or if you have IN/OUT time code BNC on the camera you can connect by BNC cable from camera(slave) to whatever device is sending master clock time code.
The terms MASTER and SLAVE are used in this context.
FREE RUN/time of day is also handy when time code notes are being kept by someone away from the camera. They just need to look at their watch to get approximate time code info.
Since it is possible to program the master clock to whatever time the user chooses it is not always essential to set to time of day.

Go Forth and Prosper. (better than going Fifth)
:ugeek:
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

UserOS

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 3:02 am

Robert Niessner wrote:You have to jam sync to a timecode generator, that's the only way to get them synced.

what can you advise? something not expensive.

Will this suit me?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ecode.html
Ryzen 9 5950X / MSI RTX 4090 Liquid X / DDR4 64Gb / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500Gb / Windows 11 Pro 23H2 / BMPCC 4K

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 3:58 am

Read the reviews. It’s limited. I spent a little more to get a Tentacle Sync E as was suggested above.

Another very good general purpose choice for a cinema camera and audio gear would be the Ambient Lockit although I haven’t used it myself but people with a lot more experience than me rely on it. It may be the best but I’m very happy with the Tentacle.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 4:08 am

rick.lang wrote:Read the reviews. It’s limited. I spent a little more to get a Tentacle Sync E as was suggested above.

Another very good general purpose choice for a cinema camera and audio gear would be the Ambient Lockit although I haven’t used it myself but people with a lot more experience than me rely on it. It may be the best but I’m very happy with the Tentacle.

One of the best location sound houses in the U.S. just recommended that I choose the Sync E over the Ambient Lockit and the Timecode Systems Ultra Sync ONE for use with a single Pocket 4K.
Last edited by robedge on Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 4:10 am

Very nice. Me too.
Rick Lang

UserOS

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 4:17 am

I saw a review. Do others work the same way as this?

UltraSync ONE Mini

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 4:22 am

Tentacle is even simpler and will take the time from your iPhone (set from an atomic clock) via the Tentacle App.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 4:32 am

UserOS wrote:I saw a review. Do others work the same way as this?

UltraSync ONE Mini

In that video, he’s using a Zaxcom Nomad audio recorder to record sound and he’s using the recorder to set up timecode in an intermediate box made by Denecke that is then used to control time in the camera so that the camera footage can be synchronized with the audio from the Zaxcom. If you look at the video description, you’ll see that he has links to a couple of intermediate boxes that, like the Denecke, do the same thing.

He could run a cable from the Zaxcom directly to the camera and not use an intermediate box at all. He’s only doing this because he doesn’t want the recorder and the camera to be tied together by a cable.

What are you using to record your sound? An audio recorder or a camera? If an audio recorder, which one?

UserOS

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 4:55 am

I use 3 cameras and 1 recorder. I do not want to buy a timecode generator for each camera. Can I use only one timecode generator for 3 cameras?

Ellory Yu

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 5:14 am

I've been using Tentacle sync and it works like a charm and can recommend it to.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 5:22 am

UserOS wrote:I use 3 cameras and 1 recorder. I do not want to buy a timecode generator for each camera. Can I use only one timecode generator for 3 cameras?

Only you can confidently answer that as you need to test that over several hours. In theory you can, but it depends upon the consistency and accuracy of the clocks in the cameras and the recorder.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 5:40 am

UserOS wrote:I use 3 cameras and 1 recorder. I do not want to buy a timecode generator for each camera. Can I use only one timecode generator for 3 cameras?

Which recorder? Does it generate timecode?

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 8:40 am

If you not want to spent use audio sinch on multicamera in your nle software.
Premiere work quite good, resolve and avid work fine. I shoot tons of concert and show like this and I edited without problems of audio shifting (and most of singer are my friends and take very very care the lip sinch).
Obiviously you start shooting at start of event and stop at end of event, also if you have some camera that are free to shoot in different situation and condition.
Alternative to it is a great pluraleyes tools from red giant that allow me to sinch tons of shooting by audio also if not continue.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Brad Hurley

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 11:51 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:If you not want to spent use audio sinch on multicamera in your nle software.
Premiere work quite good, resolve and avid work fine. I shoot tons of concert and show like this and I edited without problems of audio shifting (and most of singer are my friends and take very very care the lip sinch).

I've rarely had a problem syncing by audio in Resolve, even when not using a slate. A slate is best, of course, since you can sync to the clapper; in the absence of a slate I've used clapped hands, but in a quiet room indoors I've found I don't even need that for reliable syncing by audio. The main issues I've encountered are when shooting outdoors on windy days, when the reference audio recorded by the camera is distorted by wind noise and nothing can match up the waveforms.

All it takes, though, is one or two experiences of failed syncs where you have to manually line up audio to video, moving the audio at subframe level, before you start appreciating the advantages of timecode.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Ray McL

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 3:16 pm

I am curious about the accuracy of the P4k and P6k timecode generators. I am using a Sound Device MixPre 6 II to jam sync two P4k's and soon be P6k. The MixPre 6 II claims less than a frame per day.

Ray

Art Roberts

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 7:45 pm

Plural-Eyes in Premiere used to work for me, but I've moved past that to using the flash light from my phone, with both cameras pointed to it. This is only when we are recording non-stop. I then trim the edges after syncing in Resolve.

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 11:06 pm

What's your time worth? In the hours it takes to fix one shoot with bad sync, you likely are burning more $$$ than what it costs to get a Tentacle Sync for each camera. I bought three of them — one for both cameras and one for my audio recorder a few years ago, and every sync in Resolve has been one click instant ever since. The Tentacles have paid for themselves dozens and dozens of times over. Probably the best bang for my hardware buck that I've ever gotten, along with the 4K Pocket :D
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Howard Roll

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 2:51 am

I got turned on to this app TC Toolbox from Denecke that I'm running on an old iPhone 5. I don't see why you couldn't use it to jam sync a bunch of cameras. Even if there is massive drift, bare minimum, you could jam two cameras at once with the stereo output.

Good Luck

robedge

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 3:05 am

Ray McL wrote:I am curious about the accuracy of the P4k and P6k timecode generators. I am using a Sound Device MixPre 6 II to jam sync two P4k's and soon be P6k. The MixPre 6 II claims less than a frame per day.

Ray

There are a number of discussions about this in other threads. I think that the consensus view is that you should either use your MixPre to feed timecode to your camera continuously via a cable, or use your MixPre to jam a Tentacle Sync or similar (or vice versa) and plug that into your camera. As mentioned, there are several discussions about this if you want to do a search. If I recall correctly, there is also a paragraph in the Pocket 4K User's Manual that discusses the camera and timecode.

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 10:57 pm

If your shoot is quick (only a few hours) you may get away without forcing Timecode in each camera, but as Jamie and robedge indicate, you can leave the Tentacle Syncs in the Pocket camera and trust the MixPre-6 II timecode. I resync everything at a lunch break to the Tentacle to be sure, but that precaution may not be needed. I’ve tested this. And used for client shoots. Be safe.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography