6k not taking stills

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

IndexJazz

6k not taking stills

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 10:58 am

The stills button works maybe 1 out of 20 pushes. If I hit it 50 times, maybe 5 pics will show up in the folder. Suggestions appreciated. Thank you
John Tendy

carlomacchiavello

Re: 6k not taking stills

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 5:48 pm

To me, 4K and 6k had terrible still Button, you must press deep and keep pressed to grab stuff frame. I hope Blackmagic Design change it’s reactivity feedback be cause is near to be not utilizable. I prefer a double/multiple still shot instead to have only one shot sometimes when I press a lot the button.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 5:49 pm

Anyway, shooting raw video q0 offert you same quality/multiple shot/ same dr and sharpness. I did many test to use pockets for shooting photos.

here my posts and sample about it
https://translate.google.it/translate?h ... neprese%2F

Last edited by carlomacchiavello on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 6:12 pm

Spot on Carlo, and that is the advantage of using a video camera to get the “right moment “ still shot. Why mess around with the still frame function, just roll a short take and pick the best frame in post. This is what some fashion photographers have been doing for the past several years. ;)
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

6k not taking stills

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 10:50 pm

When I had this public problem recently I was told the stills shutter releases when you release your finger pressure not when you press down. That was on the BMPCC4K.
Last edited by rick.lang on Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

IndexJazz

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 3:08 am

I tried quick pushes, hard pushes, soft pushes, slow releases, long holds... no difference. Stills are not important with this camera, I'm just concerned it is a symptom of a larger problem. But it seems my problem is unusual and I dread having to send it back when I've only had the camera a few weeks.
John Tendy

Ellory Yu

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 7:21 am

BMD just need to fix how the buttons on all the pocket cameras react when pressed/depressed.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

xchrisx

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 8:41 pm

I also have the same problem.. i cannot you still button I get 1 shot of 20, I tried every method NONE of them worked. Blackmagic should have react to this and fix it as soon as possible or at least map the still function to other button..

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Feb 09, 2020 12:04 am

rick.lang wrote:When I had this public problem recently I was told the stills shutter releases when you release your finger pressure not when you press down. That was on the BMPCC4K.

Mmm on mine if you keep pressed do that, if I press and leave many times not have the same dng, sometimes appear camera icon and I found picture. I tested many cameras and founded the same (wrong) working.
Mine pocket4k is from first batch (cdng retro compatible)

IndexJazz

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 1:00 am

xchrisx wrote:I also have the same problem.. i cannot you still button I get 1 shot of 20, I tried every method NONE of them worked. Blackmagic should have react to this and fix it as soon as possible or at least map the still function to other button..

Interesting, xchrisx. So you think it is a design or firmware issue and not an issue with my camera?
John Tendy

xchrisx

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 5:53 pm

I do not really know what kind of problem is..but it could be fixed with a new firmware. However I am 100% sure it is not an issue with the camera. I also have this problem with 4K and my close friend also have this with his Pocket 6K. I also read problems with still captures in other forums..

A firmware update with the ability to remap the photo capture function to a custom function button would solve this problem I think.
I just really hope Blackmagic is finally solving this issue because this is getting really annoying.

IndexJazz

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 7:07 am

xchrisx wrote:I do not really know what kind of problem is..but it could be fixed with a new firmware. However I am 100% sure it is not an issue with the camera. I also have this problem with 4K and my close friend also have this with his Pocket 6K. I also read problems with still captures in other forums..

A firmware update with the ability to remap the photo capture function to a custom function button would solve this problem I think.
I just really hope Blackmagic is finally solving this issue because this is getting really annoying.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was going to exchange it, but I guess it won't make a difference.
John Tendy

rick.lang

6k not taking stills

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 3:53 pm

For me, it’s been erratic. I only used the BMPCC4K to take stills throughout a performance on one client shoot and the 800+ images were fine when it worked. Sometimes took many attempts and pushing so much it likely isn’t good for the clarity of the 1/48” image. Other times it’s better. I think I need to discover the right technique before I wear out my finger.

Maybe I’m pressing too hard before the release. Will try to see what works best. And if possible I should switch to 60 fps or a smaller shutter angle before taking the snaps if I have enough light.
Rick Lang

xchrisx

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 6:37 am

I tried pushing the photo button many times trail and error but it is impossible.. Blackmagic should have fix this

IndexJazz

PostSat Apr 11, 2020 1:10 pm

Checking back to see if anyone discovered a fix. Blackmagic website says "In addition to shooting cinematic quality digital film images, the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K features a still photo button so you can also use it as a 21.2 megapixel still camera. That means you'll be able to shoot beautiful stills and stunning Blackmagic RAW Q5 digital film images with the same camera!" This claim is simply untrue and, since it is a known and unresolved issue, is now a lie. I have a few very reliable cameras for stills and I don't need the BM to take stills, but that's not the point. They're claiming the camera has is a feature that it doesn't have.
John Tendy

Chris Leutger

PostSun Apr 12, 2020 8:33 pm

It's stuff like this that has put a new BM camera buy on hold for me. I'm waiting until Red's Komodo drops to see what that's like.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

IndexJazz

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 5:47 am

Chris Leutger wrote:It's stuff like this that has put a new BM camera buy on hold for me. I'm waiting until Red's Komodo drops to see what that's like.

Well, I really like the camera, I use it every day and the stills problem is not a deal breaker for me. In fact, it might be better if there were no stills button at all. But it's there and it really bothers me that I don't have the option for stills if I ever need it in a pinch. I tried again yesterday, just for kicks. First time I pushed the button it worked. After that, nothing. Turned off, back on. Nothing. Out of 50 or 60 pushes I got a total of three stills. It just doesn't work.
John Tendy

Chris Leutger

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 6:02 pm

I'm sure it's fine. With my Pocket 2K I've been rolling DNG's for stills forever, and with the Pocket 4K/6K, we could do what Carlo suggests above. It's just the DSLR-ish form factor and the tweaky things I read about that don't excite me. When Red announced Komodo, which is basically what a lot of us here have been asking for here, a small box with a sensor, I got excited. Like the Micro, except 6K and with a global shutter. The buy-in is much higher than BM, though much lower than the typical Red. I got a tax refund burning a hole in my pocket....
Amateur Auteur

gasnik

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 10:51 am

You know what... I'm also missing some kind of beep after done photo. It would be annoying for some of you, but for me it would be better to hear some beep after I press the shutter button, rather than look for this tiny photo icon on screen which I never cannot see, because I'm almost blind. We should of course decide if we want to hear the beep or no (some option in Menu).

Greg Huson

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 2:08 am

Is the still function higher resolution than running BRAW for a few seconds?

I'm a terrible still photographer, I've learned - I tend to compose for motion. I'm not actually a great MOTION photographer, either, but I digress...

I've been thinking of abandoning (selling) my Sony A7RII and one of my URSA Pro (G1), replacing them with the pocket, then just shooting BRAW and extracting stills. Is anyone doing this? And what software do you use for stills? Resolve?

Of course I never really learned to run the A7RII in 'manual,' because the auto is friggin' great - and I already know URSA ops pretty good, so there's a little time savings... except... no auto-quality jpegs.
GH
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Post Production / Production
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 2:15 am

Just a reminder the stills on the BMPCC4K and BMPCC6K are uncompressed DNG aa I recall.

I took over 800 stills in one theatrical shoot (although it wasn’t easy because I never figured out the still was taken when you release the button!).
Rick Lang

Chris Leutger

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 5:53 am

Greg, one thing to note is that the stills on the P4K are 9 mp and the P6K they're 21. If that makes a difference to you. And since this thread is about the P6K, from what Rick is saying, apparently the stills button works far better on the P4K than the P6K.

Rick, glad you figured out what was filling up your card!

I once took a workshop with a documentary film make who would go through Premiere and pull out single images of various scenes and have them printed at the drug store as 4x6 prints, then lay them out on a table to do a mass visual edit. He showed us his current film and it was really cool to look at it like that. As a photographer it made perfect sense to me. I think the other participants took a bit to warm up to it until they started moving things around.

I'm still considering the P6K. I like the flexibility of the P4K, but I just want a bigger sensor. It's that simple. The Metabones that I have on my P2K doesn't get used as much as I thought it would. For how I shoot, I think on the P6K that my lenses would be perfect in their angle of view. Plus they're all EF mount. So my life would be that much simpler. We'll see what happens by June....
Amateur Auteur

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Here’s to a much simpler life! The BMPCC6K may well be the better solution as there’s no concern with using additional adapters which can cause problems. Coming from the original BMPCC the sensor on the BMPCC6K is almost twice the angle of view.

Just to tease you though the BMPCC4K with the Metabones BMPCC4K Ultra SpeedBooster will more than double your BMPCC angle of view. Still I’m on the fence myself about the BMPCC4K Ultra for PL mount as my Tokina 11-20mm is as wide as I need to be on the BMPCC4K. What would be more important to me is having my T2.1 lenses act like T1.5.

Quite difficult to choose between these two new Pocket cameras. Bit of a never-ending debate. As we ride off into the sunset on our reliable steeds, I’ll be extolling the virtues of the BMPCC4K and you’ll be countering with the BMPCC6K until we fade to black.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 12:16 am

Yes Chris, since you already have EF mount lenses, the PC6K is a no brainer. I had mostly MFT and S16 lenses, so the PC4K was a better fit, especially with the new 2.6K window mode. The MFT mount makes it easy to mount my PL mount lenses also. But the new Panny-Leica 10-25 f/1.7 MFT lens is looking very sweet... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Leutger

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 7:22 am

That's hilarious Rick!

rick.lang wrote:Just to tease you though the BMPCC4K with the Metabones BMPCC4K Ultra SpeedBooster will more than double your BMPCC angle of view.

Well, I don't want 'em too wide. Hence the 6K crop as not too long, not too wide, just right. That puts my Contax 18 right where I want it.

Denny, I agree, no adapter, no cry. I'm waiting for covid things to settle since I'm a little uncomfortable with making large purchases right now. Well, I am ordering some boring storage related stuff since my current situation is...untenable...
Amateur Auteur

bo zebra

PostTue Feb 14, 2023 8:49 pm

IndexJazz wrote:The stills button works maybe 1 out of 20 pushes. If I hit it 50 times, maybe 5 pics will show up in the folder. Suggestions appreciated. Thank you

Same issue here on my 6kPro...
It´s totally annoying and obviously it hasn´t been fixed with the firmeware, as I´m using the lastest one.

Yes, I could just roll camera and grab a still out of the video and this would definitely the way to handle it on shooting day.
But if I´m just taking location pics on a prep day, it is so much easier and time saving to already have DNGs on the card which are already DNG files.

So, is there any solution to this strange "button issue" ?

Please, please fix this, dear BM folks!!!
Thank you ;)

Robert Niessner

PostTue Feb 14, 2023 10:01 pm

The third party app Bluetooth+ For Blackmagic does support triggering stills capture via the app:
https://apps.apple.com/at/app/bluetooth ... 1376947780
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Feb 20, 2023 3:15 pm

bo zebra wrote:
IndexJazz wrote:The stills button works maybe 1 out of 20 pushes. If I hit it 50 times, maybe 5 pics will show up in the folder. Suggestions appreciated. Thank you

Same issue here on my 6kPro...
It´s totally annoying and obviously it hasn´t been fixed with the firmeware, as I´m using the lastest one.

Yes, I could just roll camera and grab a still out of the video and this would definitely the way to handle it on shooting day.
But if I´m just taking location pics on a prep day, it is so much easier and time saving to already have DNGs on the card which are already DNG files.

So, is there any solution to this strange "button issue" ?

Please, please fix this, dear BM folks!!!
Thank you ;)
After latest update they change the way of photo button work, but … I had two pocket6k and ones button had stiffness, other is more responsive to shoot photo. Ones is from first batch shipped to Italy years ago, other is more recent.

Return to Cinematography