4k sensor delivery?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Samjack

4k sensor delivery?

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 4:29 am

Grant Petty the last couple of days told us that the 4k sensor has only just arrive this week. I find that somewhat contradictory to what he told us back in 12th June when he confirm the sensor supply for both the 4k and Pocket camera are "just fine". I'm detecting a double speak and I'm rather suspect we are not told all the truth. Here is the post he sent out on the forum a couple of months ago

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7674&p=56856#p56856

rick.lang

Re: 4k sensor delivery?

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 6:24 am

Samjack wrote:Grant Petty the last couple of days told us that the 4k sensor has only just arrive this week. I find that somewhat contradictory to what he told us back in 12th June when he confirm the sensor supply for both the 4k and Pocket camera are "just fine". I'm detecting a double speak and I'm rather suspect we are not told all the truth. Here is the post he sent out on the forum a couple of months ago

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7674&p=56856#p56856

He said that things looked fine. At that time that may have just meant that the development work from the sensor supplier seemed to be on track. Since then I am sure there were a few problems or delays and that shipments to the factory were delayed and not received until this week. That makes sense I think. You may be reading into what he said but he never said sensors were shipping. Enough, please.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Samjack

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 9:32 am

I'm not sure why there is a need to defend, what he said back in June "At least the other two cameras look fine on the sensor front but we are still too slow on the sensors for the 2.5k camera", his statement was pretty clear about sensor supply. It look fine (for the 4k and pocket) but still too slow for the 2.5k.
We now know it is not fine for the 4k since they only just recieve the sensor this week. The Pocket camera seem to be the only one which is fine with sensor supply.

It is not a misrepresentation of Grant's statement but one for Grant to explain even if it sounds too much for you to comprehend at the expense of BMD's reputation. I'm sure the campany is big enough to speak for themselves without the sheeps flocking to its defence :roll:

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 4:54 pm

As often is the case, there's room for interpretation of Grant's meaning.

It's possible that Grant saying they only just started receiving 4K sensors is in reference to final 4K sensors. Previously he was referring to pre-production 4K sensors as "looking fine", meaning they were unfinished but on-track and progressing as planned.

Now that BMD has reportedly started receiving final production 4K sensors, they are finalizing the camera firmware. If that work proceeds as planned, Grant expects it to be complete in a few weeks, at which point 4K camera manufacturing will start.

The above is how I interpret what Grant wrote in his recent email. Of course, my interpretation might not be correct, but it's one plausible interpretation.

Regardless, it matters more to me what BMD does rather than what they say. We'll see.

-

Return to Cinematography