Original BMPCC looks like it got a crack in the screen

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

goran diffner

Original BMPCC looks like it got a crack in the screen

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 11:20 pm

I got three of them and this one with the crack has been sitting on the shelf for months not being used and a couple of days ago I turned it on and saw the crack. So it´s not a real crack it´s just in the image so it got to be some internal problem with the screen.

Should I be worried the camera is gonna break completely or is this nothing and it could go on working for years still?

I love these cams so I´m starting to think I should get one more in case it breaks. I´m just an amateur so I´m not depending on them in any way I just use them for fun. I use them when I livestream in combination with my Atem Mini and Atem Tvs and for video.

I did a hobby low light test with one of them and a Yashica 50mm lens that I believe is a photo lens only so it probably should not work so good for video. But at least from an amateur point of view I think it turned out ok except in the darker shots where the shadows kind of break up.

I only add my own music to my videos and I´m a bit short of songs at the moment so that´s why there is none.

Last edited by goran diffner on Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

Re: Original BMPCC looks like it got a crack in the screen

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 6:46 pm

Goran, very interesting. I hate to be the one to promote infidelity and promiscuity but you might like to ask a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K to dance as I consider this a talented partner if you can’t find another original BMCC. “I’ve got a feeling” you’re going to fall in love again!
Rick Lang

goran diffner

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 7:19 pm

Lol I have been thinking to do that but I got to many cameras as it is already and I just bought the Atem Mini so I think I will wait some time before I go dancing.

Chris Leutger

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 pm

Looks good, that lens looks fine. For that late stuff, were you shooting wide open at 1600? The shadows look really nice. If you have three, and the one with the cracked screen still works, I think you're safe.

I'm still using mine. You're making me want to get another one. I'm about to take mine down to LA next week. We'll see whether that footage makes me want to continue this dance or to take out another....
Amateur Auteur

i7 8700k 6c 3.7 GHz - Crucial DDR4-2666 16x2
GTX 1080 8GB Ver 441.66 - Windows 10 Pro 1903
Resolve 15.3.1.003 (Free) - SSD 250GB-cache

goran diffner

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks I think I had it set to 800 and I had the lens aperture set to wide open. I am not very good at this so any video I shoot that turns out ok is more or less just a lucky shot.

The Yashica 50 mm seem to be a good sharp lens for the bmpcc and my Panasonic G7. Because I am still learning why lenses work differently depending on the camera I often get surpriced when I come back home and watch the video. Mostly cause it sucks lol, but not this time.

I love the bmpcc it is a great cam I will never sell them and I will keep looking for a new used one. If the price is right I will probably buy it just to put it on the shelf as backup/replacement.

I know that you could find replacement screens for it some years ago and maybe you still can but I am not going to bother I will keep it and use it with my Atems as long as the hdmi output works.

Please share some footage from the trip I just love watch footage from other countrys.

I am constantly looking foor cheap vintage lens tips so if you got one you like and recommend please share.

Brad Hurley

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 1:20 pm

goran diffner wrote:I am constantly looking foor cheap vintage lens tips so if you got one you like and recommend please share.

If you don't already have the Helios 44-2 58mm, you should get that. It has a M43 mount (not to be confused with micro four-thirds) but adaptors are cheap and widely available. Gorgeous sharp images and nice bokeh with amazing flares, and the lens typically costs less than $100 USD. I have spent thousands on lenses but this is the one that makes my heart sing.

Paotrig Helios small.jpg
Paotrig Helios small.jpg (595.56 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Resolve 16.1, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 1:26 pm

I also like the Helios 58mm, but it never came in an M43 mount. Normally it's an M42 screw mount, I think you may find them also in L39.

If you like that Yashica lens, you may want to look for some other focal length, most of them are quite nice. They had close cooperation with Zeiss at the time and some people call these 'poor man's Zeiss'.

Another interesting line of lenses are those by Minolta for the older SR mount, also called MC or MD mount. They were in close cooperation with Leica, so these are 'poor man's Leica' lenses. The advantage here is the good prices you can still get since they don't adapt to the most popular mount, the Canon EF mount. They work fine on the BMPCC, since that has a very short mount, just like the BMCC 4K.

I started a long thread about these over here:
reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92246-Minolta-Rokkor-Survival-Guide

BTW, there are some other threads over at reduser under Lens Tests covering vintage glass, written by very informed people. Another place to check is: vintagelensesforvideo.com
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio under MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM
Mac mini 16 GB RAM plus eGFX Breakway Radeon RX 580

Curtis Campsall

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 8:16 pm

Use it till it dies as long as it doesn't effect the image no worries. Unless you always use 3 you shouldn't need to find another. There are some good deals on eBay, but you'll never know the condition for sure.

I'm with you on loving the original, and not having any real need for the 4k. HD is more than good enough for low budget narrative, I've seen it projected in professional theatre and it is beautiful. Problem is I only have one, and would like to get another if I find the right deal. I'm tempted to spend a bit more and get an original mft cinema cam, but then I'd be into building it out from scratch, as all of my kit is for the pocket.
Dop16mm on the other forum

goran diffner

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 4:06 am

Thanks for the replys yes I will use it as long as I can it is still is a very good camera. I got a good deal on a BMCC 2.k EF a while ago and it is super good too and I have to check out what I should get for it at least the basic things. I got an external batterypack with it but it is a little tired so I got to get a new or fix it.

So I probably will wait a little before buying a new cam like the 4k I mean I cannot handle the cams I already got so I need to learn more before I get new ones to be honest.

I belive I have a Helios lens not sure which it is but probably close to 50 mm. Thanks for the tips.

Chris Leutger

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 5:33 am

Brad Hurley wrote:If you don't already have the Helios 44-2 58mm, you should get that. It has a M43 mount (not to be confused with micro four-thirds) but adaptors are cheap and widely available. Gorgeous sharp images and nice bokeh with amazing flares, and the lens typically costs less than $100 USD. I have spent thousands on lenses but this is the one that makes my heart sing.

Brad, can you get a Leitax EF for that mount? I've read about that lens before, thanks for reminding me.
Amateur Auteur

Brad Hurley

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 10:37 am

Chris Leutger wrote:
Brad Hurley wrote:Brad, can you get a Leitax EF for that mount? I've read about that lens before, thanks for reminding me.

A Google search for "m42 to ef adapter" turns up a lot of options; it looks like Leitax did at one time make an adapter for Canon EF but it's not clear whether they still do. Uli is right of course, it's M42 mount, not M43 (I was too lazy to look it up when I wrote that post and misremembered).

Note that this lens is a telephoto on the Pocket unless you use a speedbooster, which I don't.

For affordable zoom lenses, I love my Tokina 28-70mm-f2.6 to 2.8, which I got used in excellent condition for about $350. It's based on an Angenieux design. I got the Nikon mount in order to have manual control over aperture/iris, and I use it with either a Metabones speedbooster or a Metabones dumb adapter, which gives me a wide range of options for focal length. The only complaint I have is that the Metabones adapters are not a snug fit on my original Pocket (they are a perfect fit on my Micro Cinema Camera), so there's a fair bit of play when I use those lenses on the original Pocket.
Resolve 16.1, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

goran diffner

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Yes there are a few M42 to EF adapters for the BMCC I even got one for the Yashica mount.

I get very confused though why the result varies so much from cam to cam. I did a test (that turned out really sucky) to compare the difference between the BMCC EF mount and the BMPCC with the cracked screen with the same two M42 lenses the Automakinon 28 mm, the Pentacon 50 mm and the Yashica 50 mm.

Damit I just realized I probably forgot to shoot with the Yashica on the pocket cam lol. Well anyway

My wife was really in to that show so I had to shoot from behind her. Was such a grey day outside today so I shot indoors which did not turn out so good I´m afraid. Also I saw no need to upload over 1080 since it would not make any difference anyway.

I´ve been reading about flange distance (which I believe is the measurement from the sensor to the most outer surface of the lens mount) that it can make lenses not to focus correct. Can that be the case here between these two cams?

I guess it can depend on the quality of the adapter too but in my case I use the same for my G7 and my BMPCCs and there still can be a difference even though they both are M4/3 mount cams.

Well this is hard stuff lots and lots still to learn.

goran diffner

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 6:55 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
goran diffner wrote:I am constantly looking foor cheap vintage lens tips so if you got one you like and recommend please share.

If you don't already have the Helios 44-2 58mm, you should get that. It has a M43 mount (not to be confused with micro four-thirds) but adaptors are cheap and widely available. Gorgeous sharp images and nice bokeh with amazing flares, and the lens typically costs less than $100 USD. I have spent thousands on lenses but this is the one that makes my heart sing.

Paotrig Helios small.jpg

I love that image reminds me of our old cat. He sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 12:34 am

Flange distance is more critical for wides than for tele. Plus, it's very critical for parfocal zooms and for retrofocal wides (the ones that have a long flange distance for a moving mirror).

For other lenses you may just not get to infinity or the distance scale will be off.
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio under MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM
Mac mini 16 GB RAM plus eGFX Breakway Radeon RX 580

Chris Leutger

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 1:49 am

I was wondering about Leitax because I've had all my Contax lenses Leitaxed by Duclos. But it wasn't clear to me whether they make M42 to EF or not. But yes, I can get a dumb adapter. I recently got the Metabones for the Pocket. So that's why I was asking. I thought it would be cool if I could the Helios cine-modded and adapter for Canon and use the Metabones to reduce the reach. I'll ask Duclos. Thanks!
Amateur Auteur

Return to Cinematography