Frames glitched and dropped

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

clivejo

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi all,
I'm experiencing a serious issue on my BMPCC 6k, and appreciate if anyone is experiencing the same or have any idea of what's going on. That glitches appears on all Clips in the same Reel every about 5/10 seconds, randomly. When trying to make proxies, it fail cause of "corrupted files". Shooted other reels with same settings and same drive without fails.

BMPCC 6k - v6.8 - BRAW - 6k - 12:1 (50p/25p) on Samsung T5 500GB drives. On tripod.

Schermata 2020-02-18 alle 21.44.48.png
Schermata 2020-02-18 alle 21.44.48.png (796.38 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

Any helps is appreciate, is an urgent issue that's happening during production.

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 4:30 am

Delete
Last edited by rick.lang on Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 4:39 am

Call your local BMD Support. I don’t believe that SSD is on the BMD approved list. See the list of SSDs for 6K BRAW up to 50 fps on the BMD Support webpage. Scroll down the “Latest Support Notes” column.
Rick Lang

clivejo

Re: Frames glitched and dropped

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 7:52 am

Drive is in the list but not that capacity. But please note i’m shooting 12:1 raw, NOT 5:1 or 3:1. I’m already in contact with local bmd support, sure. For now they think it was a usb-c cable connection issue.

rick.lang

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 4:59 pm

The USB-C cables are an endless source of uncertainty with any glitch.

I used to think USB-C was a great solution, until I started buying the cables. The claims on the USB-C packaging are no guarantee they’re fit for the purpose of supporting high sustained data rates. I’ve only bought three I think and two were unreliable. The cables that are included with a product purchase are usually quite reliable. It’s disgusting that the USB consortium does not require different markings for all their cables that indicate the features of each cable. Putting markings on a package is useless as after a year and a half dozen cables, you certainly can’t remember each cable’s packaging.

And if you cable is perfect, the flimsy connector is too easily compromised.

I’m just an idiot with no idea why the geniuses in the consortium haven’t adopted this scatter-brained idea.
Rick Lang

clivejo

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 9:28 pm

Thanks Rick.
The problem was solved, isolated with my post production house, camera assistant and blackmagic support.
Simple as you can’t think: the cable was not screwed in with built in screw of Tilta cage. Simple and one-time AC mistake. If the cable is not plugged and secured correctly, this issue occured. I shot other 5 days with the same cameras and cables and drives (securely screwed this time) wothout any glitches or drop frames. Hope this will be useful for some.
My best

rick.lang

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 12:25 am

Well that’s good to know! Thanks for the update.
Rick Lang

Krishna Pada

PostMon Mar 02, 2020 6:06 am

clivejo wrote:Thanks Rick.
The problem was solved, isolated with my post production house, camera assistant and blackmagic support.
Simple as you can’t think: the cable was not screwed in with built in screw of Tilta cage. Simple and one-time AC mistake. If the cable is not plugged and secured correctly, this issue occured. I shot other 5 days with the same cameras and cables and drives (securely screwed this time) wothout any glitches or drop frames. Hope this will be useful for some.
My best

Yes, the USB cable needs to be screwed at both ends. Simple. :D
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

Return to Cinematography