Lense(s) recommendation for the following application

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Minor Detour

Lense(s) recommendation for the following application

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 3:04 pm

First, I've googled and searched this forum. I've watched the great film comparison shot by Tom Majerski and if I don't find anything else I'll probably use his list to start with something.

I'm new to Cinematography and I just purchased a BMCC EF. My first goal is I own a small motorsports company and we're looking for ways to use the car for promotions.

I plan to play around with the camera and software trying to get some good promotional ideas into short clips we can post on our website.

So I'm looking for a recommendation for a lens which we can use in in say a 20 x 20 or slightly larger area. It will be in doors where we can control lighting.

Next when we do events, they are always out doors and most of the time during the day in open areas with bright sunlight. (Times could verify but I'm going to say most of the time it's 10am to 6pm of the evening.)
https://www.facebook.com/110Motorsports/photos_stream

I'm assuming the lens we would use in doors is going to be different from what we have to use outside.

Finally, we'd also like to be able to shoot film of the car running on the track.

My issue is I'm trying to find a lens we can use for good quality material when we learn what we're doing.

Ideally I'd like to find lens $500 or under but could spend more. At this time for all the lenses we need, I'm probably going to set a limit of $1,000 to $1,500 for lenses.

It'd be great if there was a versatile lens we could purchase and adjust for all scenarios but I'm going to assume we're not going to be that fortunate.

With that I would appreciate any advice from anybody with experience shooting in these types of situations.

(Again, I've read most of the other Lens threads on this forum but I'm starting this thread to try and figure out what we should start with for our application.)

Thanks.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right."
- Henry Ford

http://minordetour.com

Return to Cinematography