Replacement internal IR Cut filter for BMPCC4K?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dominic Koo

Replacement internal IR Cut filter for BMPCC4K?

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 1:57 am

Does anyone know where one might acquire one? Mine has become slightly damaged and I'd like to replace it.

I've seen the Rawlite version but I don't know if I'm willing to spend that kind of money just yet (I've personally had no problems with moire and infrared yet). I'd rather get an equal replacement for now and decide if I want to invest in the Rawlite version later.

John Griffin

Re: Replacement internal IR Cut filter for BMPCC4K?

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 6:30 am

I think BM are likley to be the only source. Not sure if they would supply you with one and having just fitted a Rawlite to mine it's a pretty fiddly job even if you are handy at lens and camera repairs.

John Brawley

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 12:52 pm

Dominic Koo wrote:Does anyone know where one might acquire one? Mine has become slightly damaged and I'd like to replace it.

I've seen the Rawlite version but I don't know if I'm willing to spend that kind of money just yet (I've personally had no problems with moire and infrared yet). I'd rather get an equal replacement for now and decide if I want to invest in the Rawlite version later.

BMD should be able to supply this for you but in theory you need to do this in a “clean room” environment as you’re exposing your sensor.

IE not something that’s meant to be done by a user and not to be done in the field or even at home.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Dominic Koo wrote:I'd rather get an equal replacement for now and decide if I want to invest in the Rawlite version later.
Unless your sensor glass replacement is covered by BMD warranty, buying the Rawlite may not cost any more than paying BMD to replace the sensor glass
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Dominic Koo

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 6:31 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Dominic Koo wrote:I'd rather get an equal replacement for now and decide if I want to invest in the Rawlite version later.
Unless your sensor glass replacement is covered by BMD warranty, buying the Rawlite may not cost any more than paying BMD to replace the sensor glass

Well turns out it's not and I don't live in the US so that cost and complication, especially reading about their RMAs is..more. I may just have to go the Rawlite route and ask around if someone's got a clean room or the closest thing I can borrow for half an hour.

John Griffin

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:

+1

fabro106

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 6:58 pm

I had the same problem here in Peru . After months of talking with the people of blackmagic and not giving me a cheap enough solution (they only offered to send the camera there to repair it, which added to the shipping costs were around 500 usd) then I decided to buy the replacement on aliexpress and install it with a local technician. The result was not optimal (much IR pollution) but with an ir cut filter there seems to be no more contamination to go. I spent 20 usd of the spare part, and 50 usd the technician. Good luck!

rick.lang

PostThu Feb 27, 2020 1:50 am

The IR attenuation provided by the sensor cover glass is intentionally weaker than what one may need in some circumstances so always good to have additional IR cut or IRND filters available in your kit.
Rick Lang

Freddyhidalgom

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 2:58 pm

The problem I think it's with BMD IR Cut filter material... it corrodes, and I'm suspecting it's a plastic layer of filter (similar to those in sunglasses with UV, like Ray-Ban), instead of a glass filter.
But still glass can be deteriorated by humidity and heat.
Supposedly the OPLF from RawLite, has glass in both sides, so protects the IR filter itself, and I believe that's why people who got it doesn't have that deterioration problem (and maybe why BMD cut expenses in that)
But that last part is just my theory so far.
Freddy Hidalgo M.
Publicista - Video/Fotografía
freddy@cencolor.com
www.cencolor.com
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/harlockr
Be Vegan - Make Peace

Luis Tirado

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 6:38 am

fabro106 wrote:I had the same problem here in Peru . After months of talking with the people of blackmagic and not giving me a cheap enough solution (they only offered to send the camera there to repair it, which added to the shipping costs were around 500 usd) then I decided to buy the replacement on aliexpress and install it with a local technician. The result was not optimal (much IR pollution) but with an ir cut filter there seems to be no more contamination to go. I spent 20 usd of the spare part, and 50 usd the technician. Good luck!

I’ll just start this in spanish then.
Fabricio, tuviste suerte cambiando el filtro? Estoy en las mismas, recomiendas algún buen técnico donde hacerlo sin gastar mucho dinero? Gracias

pedro.lima

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 1:33 pm

After tons of online research, and a frustrating exchange with BMD technical support (asking me every time to fill in a huge form full of pointless and irrelevant questions, before I could even get an answer to my query), I decided to get the UV-IR Clip Filter from STC Optics, at around $100USD / £100GPD.

This filter is made of actual glass, unlike the original BMD one which at best is a piece of glass covered by a blue plastic, very prone to corrosion;

It is super easy to install, clipping to the sensor opening (you should first remove the original filter - disassembly required, although easy enough for most people);

The position of this filter is different from the position of the original one, which normally sits deeper inside the sensor opening. The STC filter sits right behind the rear optical element of the lens attached to the lens mount. I'm not sure if this affects the optical performance of the lens in any measurable way, as I need to run further tests. It seems to do a great job of cutting the IR pollution, though.

To clean it I just unclip it from the sensor opening, which also allows me to clean the sensor, if needed. No complicated disassembly process and tool-free.

Although the RAWLITE OLPF filter may be of superior optical quality, It's too pricey for a BMPCC 4K user, at more than half the cost of the camera. Also, I have yet to encounter a situation in which I find the need for an Optical Low Pass Filter, to counter aliasing issues - not to mention the slight softening of the image detail that comes with the use of an OLPF. Perhaps this would be a welcome compromise for more detail-heavy, over-sharpened footage from other camera manufacturers, but since BMD cameras are known for a kind of "film-like" look, I think the use of an OLPF might overdo it. Or maybe it even makes it more filmic? Probably a great combo for skin tones, like Hollywood's favourite Black Magic filter (different company, not a BMD product).

I am surprised by how little to nothing I found online about using these STC filters with BMD cameras, other than some videos by the STC brand on YouTube. I would love to learn about other users' feedback from these STC filters. For now, it will do as a replacement.

To finish, with a piece so integral to the BMPCC 4k, that is so prone to deterioration, I do not understand why BMD makes it so hard and frustrating to get a hold of a replacement, without having to send our camera to them, when it's such an easy thing to replace at home. Instead, you are left with ordering alternatives of questionable quality on eBay, AliExpress, or invest on the highly expensive RAWLITE one.

Anybody else has the STC Optics filter?
Attachments
BMPCCM43-4K-demo_f336b321-f6ff-4ffb-ba89-178c3454845e_5000x.jpeg
BMPCCM43-4K-demo_f336b321-f6ff-4ffb-ba89-178c3454845e_5000x.jpeg (136.62 KiB) Viewed 1071 times

thomasthesearchengine

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 10:58 pm

Hi Pedro,
I'm quite interested in the STS Optics IR filter you mentioned as I've just purchased a second hand 4k and frustratingly the IR filter is pretty much ruined by fungus / marks.

I see on the STS website it states "I understand this product can only be used with modified cameras". What modification (if any) are they referring to?

My other question I'm hoping you can help with, is this: I'm in the UK and the reseller of STS here is Clifton cameras

I went through the whole list on their website and couldn't find a definite match to the one on the STS site - can you (or anyone else) please give me a steer on which of the filters on the Clifton website would / might fit the BMPCC 4k as none are specifically listed.

I'm not against buying direct from STS in the US necessarily but would prefer to find one that didn't need to travel so far.

Thanks!

Tam

RubenS89

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 12:58 pm

pedro.lima wrote:Perhaps this would be a welcome compromise for more detail-heavy, over-sharpened footage from other camera manufacturers, but since BMD cameras are known for a kind of "film-like" look, I think the use of an OLPF might overdo it. Or maybe it even makes it more filmic? Probably a great combo for skin tones, like Hollywood's favourite Black Magic filter (different company, not a BMD product).

From what I've seen the OLPF in the Rawlite filter does look very nice and removes the less desirable (fake) sharpness of false detail. It makes the image just a bit more 'professional'. I do agree with you that it is too expensive for a 4K user.

The STC filter that you show here looks very interesting. Would it be possible to share some examples of this filter in action? Does it alter the color balance of the image much?

thomasthesearchengine

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 6:00 pm

Yeah, that would be great to see some footage / hear some thoughts on the STS filter from anyone. I'm keen to pull the trigger

Thanks

thomasthesearchengine

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 2:25 pm

I went ahead and purchased an STC filter. From what I can tell, the colur balance is that same as with the OEM filter. Very happy with it - especially with the price!

Cheers,

Tam

RubenS89

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 10:04 am

Hi Tam,

Good to hear! For installation, did you need to remove the original IR filter?

Regards, Ruben

thomasthesearchengine

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 3:38 pm

Yes, and it's a pretty straightforward process.

The original IR filter had mould on it, which is why it needed to be replaced.

The STC filter sits much further forward from the sensor, which isn't a problem - in fact it makes it easier to remove and clean if needed.

I'd definitely recommend it if you are in need of a new IR filter and don't want to break the bank

Cheers

Tam

Return to Cinematography