Commercial for the Abu Dhabi Autism Center

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Marcel Beck

Commercial for the Abu Dhabi Autism Center

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 9:15 am

Hello,

I recently shot a commercial for the Abu Dhabi Autism Center, and got news it is heading to our local cinemas, curious to see how it looks on a big screen! Let me know what you think of it

Link:

Directed by David Moore
Director of Photography by Marcel Beck
Production Michelle Nickelson & Annette Waddington
Camera Assistant Hanna Makki
Shot on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k EF (RAW)
Canon 16-200mm f3.5 II IS EFS

Cheers
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Darryl Gregory

Re: Commercial for the Abu Dhabi Autism Center

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 9:52 am

Looks fantastic Marcel, But I'm not sure about the first person dialog of a child,
I would tend to have more feelings if it were a third persons dialog explaining the child's Autism, a V.O.

And the abbreviation of "UAE" would have lost me,
If I had not known this was from the United Arab Emirates,
But with that said I like the piece, but like all "Tear Jerking" PSA's (Public service announcements) the use of third person dialog (V.O) (especially from a famous voice) is better suited.

Cheers

Marcel Beck

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 10:03 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Looks fantastic Marcel, But I'm not sure about the first person dialog of a child,
I would tend to have more feelings if it were a third persons dialog explaining the child's Autism, a V.O.

And the abbreviation of "UAE" would have lost me,
If I had not known this was from the United Arab Emirates,
But with that said I like the piece, but like all "Tear Jerking" PSA's (Public service announcements) the use of third person dialog (V.O) (especially from a famous voice) is better suited.

Cheers

Hey Darryl,

Thanks for the feedback, I must agree the third person V.O. would have been better, will keep that in mind for the future.

Cheers
Marcel Beck

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 10:15 am

Like I said it looks great Marcel, And never mind my EAU comment since it may be viewed in local cinemas, I just hope it draws attention to Autism and makes more people aware and support the Abu Dhabi Autism Center http://www.zho.ae
Cheers

Marcel Beck

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:Like I said it looks great Marcel, And never mind my EAU comment since it may be viewed in local cinemas, I just hope it draws attention to Autism and makes more people aware and support the Abu Dhabi Autism Center http://www.zho.ae
Cheers

Thanks Darryl, yeah I think that the audience would be local but I usually like producing in the aspect of a wider audience.

None the less, we got a great campaign going on to raise awareness and trying to achieve the local awareness to the situation via video and social media campaigns

Cheers,

Marcel
Marcel Beck

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 3:32 am

Marcel Beck wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:Like I said it looks great Marcel, And never mind my EAU comment since it may be viewed in local cinemas, I just hope it draws attention to Autism and makes more people aware and support the Abu Dhabi Autism Center http://www.zho.ae
Cheers

Thanks Darryl, yeah I think that the audience would be local but I usually like producing in the aspect of a wider audience.

None the less, we got a great campaign going on to raise awareness and trying to achieve the local awareness to the situation via video and social media campaigns

Cheers,

Marcel

Hey Marcel PM me if you think there's anything I could do to help bring awareness.

Cheers

Ryan Jones

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 10:22 am

I actually like having the child speak, to me seems more genuine.

Great stuff! Keep an eye open for next years TechSoup Global Digital Storytelling competition (tsdigs).

Marcel Beck

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 11:33 am

Ryan Jones wrote:I actually like having the child speak, to me seems more genuine.

Great stuff! Keep an eye open for next years TechSoup Global Digital Storytelling competition (tsdigs).

Cheers Ryan, I agree, we initially wanted an adult speak over it but we realised the importance of keeping it genuine and personal.

I'll check out the competition thanks!
Marcel Beck

Return to Cinematography