Affordable audio solution. Juicedlink or Tascam DR 60D?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Carlos Durán

Affordable audio solution. Juicedlink or Tascam DR 60D?

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 10:06 pm

hey guys what would you recommend for the bmcc, the tascam dr60d or juicedlink?

Thanks in advance

Denny Smith

Re: Affordable audio solution. Juicedlink or Tascam DR 60D?

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 7:52 am

If you want an external recorder and fairly good preamps then get the Tascam 60D. If you want a great preamp to send audio to camera, then get a real preamp like the Sound Devices MixPre or MixPre D, the D model has more output options, including sending digitial signal to separate recorder or other USB audio capture and AES digital to higher end recorders, including the BM Hyperdeck. You get great mics, an great camera, why go second rate on your audio mixer! Denny
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

marktyers

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 8:08 am

I would recommend the Tascam DR60D. It has all the connectivity you need and is reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sebasti

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 12:15 pm

I heard Tascam's audio volume knobs are digital and levels are stepped. If you need to smoothly change audio levels while recording it is going to ruin the sound.

Chris Hocking

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 12:31 pm

With the current firmware release - my suggestion would be to use an external recorder, and record a guide track to the camera for syncing purposes.

Lorenzo Straight

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Check out BeachTek's offering. Everything you need, and affordable.
http://www.adorama.com/VDBDXAMBD.html
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

ungovernedreason

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Lorenzo Straight wrote:Check out BeachTek's offering. Everything you need, and affordable.

I purchased that device and although it seems to work well enough in a highly controlled enviroment, it is a passive adapter with no pre amp meaning that the audio can be more quiet then you would prefer. unless you run a preamp on the loop which at that point makes it alot of hassle and not very mobile at all. just saying my findings. I still use it half of the time but I am thinking of buyint the bmc333 or whatever its called by juicedlink.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

MovingImagesCEO

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 4:24 pm

I just received my zoom H6. In the reviews I have seen so far, the audio and battery life narrowly beat out the Tascam DR 60D

Frank Glencairn

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Did a little writeup on the JuicedLink BMC366 - it's pretty much tailored to the BMC http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/201 ... c-cameras/

I would stay away from the Tascam. The gain nobs are not analog, so they are not only stepped, but the make a klicking sound on your recording, which renders it totaly useless as a fieldmixer.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

GregGreenhaw

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 5:06 pm

I went with the sound devices mix pre-d and I love it. I would not consider anything else after using it. A few times. Worth every penny.

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 5:26 pm

greggreenhaw wrote:I went with the sound devices mix pre-d and I love it. I would not consider anything else after using it. A few times. Worth every penny.

I dido, I also have the MixPre D and it is a "Real" mixer, can ride levels, excellent sound and connectivity.
I would not use anything else, except for a bigger Sound Devices mixer/recorder, but for under $900, you can not beat it. You can feed camera and external recorder with it at same time, or two cameras. Outstanding audio/sound. Preamps are very quiet.

Stay away from stepped controllers (did not know 60D was stepped), passive devices and most of the Beachtek and Jucielink are less than ideal solutions, with basic mid level preamps, if any.
Cheers, Denny.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frank Glencairn

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Denny wrote:[ Beachcraft and Jucielink are less than ideal solutions, with basic mid level preamps, if any..

Can't say anything about Beachcraft, since I always thought they are building planes, but the JuicedLink pre-amps are far from "basic mid level" - I tried them against Sound Devices and my Wendt mixer, which is known to have even better pre-amps than the SD, and I have to say, you will be hard pressed to hear any difference in S/N ratio between those and the JuicedLink.

They all have a different sound of course, but regarding s/n ratio they are in the same league.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Jules Bushell

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 6:52 pm

ungovernedreason wrote:
Lorenzo Straight wrote:Check out BeachTek's offering. Everything you need, and affordable.

I purchased that device and although it seems to work well enough in a highly controlled enviroment, it is a passive adapter with no pre amp meaning that the audio can be more quiet then you would prefer. unless you run a preamp on the loop which at that point makes it alot of hassle and not very mobile at all. just saying my findings. I still use it half of the time but I am thinking of buyint the bmc333 or whatever its called by juicedlink.

I have the Beachtek DXA-BMD. It's passive and in theory less in the signal path to add noise. You will however need a loud output mic such as a Sennheiser ME66 and I've had really good results with the combination.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Rob Foulkes

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 7:31 pm

I have a Tascam DR60-D and it's very good. I never fiddle with the gain knobs when recording so the stepping isn't a problem (even then its very quiet anyway). Sound quality is excellent - plus, there is an option to record dual mono or stereo tracks, with the duplicate tracks at less dB (set by yourself) so even if the main track peaks it's not a problem. Ergonomically it's excellent and goes well on a tripod then the camera on top. For indoor use it can be powered by a standard mobile phone charger. Why not download the User Guide and check out all it's features (eg 24/48V phantom power etc) then watch a few demos on YouTube.

Overall I'm very pleased with it and am looking forward to pairing it up with a BMPCC (when it arrives - hopefully soon!)

Carlos Durán

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Thank you all for the advice, It was really helpful. :D

Return to Cinematography