BMPCC and Hyperdeck Shuttle: Differences in Raw

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dave Stone

BMPCC and Hyperdeck Shuttle: Differences in Raw

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 pm

I've perused the forums and have not been able to find an answer to this, so please excuse if it turns out I am just being obtuse.

I'm looking at getting the BMPCC to replace my XH A1S, but I'm concerned about the amount of space required to record. I typically shoot a lot of video and then cut down to size later. It's not uncommon for me to have single takes of an hour or more (limited by either the length of the tape, or the amount of space left on a Firestore). This is my preferred method of shooting.

Given the short (< 1 hour) shooting time on a 64Gb card in Prores, and the 5 minutes shooting time in raw, I am also looking at the Hyperdeck Shuttle for a portable solution. This is quite adequate when recording in DnxHD on the Shuttle. But for raw, the shuttle records 10-bit, while the BMPCC records raw in 12-bit.

So the question is, what kind of qualitative difference can I expect between raw recorded on the SD card in the camera vs. raw recorded on the Shuttle?

Also, when recording in DnxHD on the Shuttle, what kind of latitude can I expect for color correction vs. for Prores recorded on the SD card?

popcornflix

Re: BMPCC and Hyperdeck Shuttle: Differences in Raw

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 7:49 pm

So the question is, what kind of qualitative difference can I expect between raw recorded on the SD card in the camera vs. raw recorded on the Shuttle?

Well, for one thing, the BMPCC is shipping with ProRes only. RAW is supposedly coming on a firmware upgrade.

adamroberts

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 pm

The Shuttle does not record RAW. It can record "uncompressed QuickTime" but that is not RAW. That is a 10bit 4:2:2 image that has already been de-bayered and a LUT applied in camera before being sent out via HDMI.

It's the same data as recorded in ProRes or DNxHD. It's just uncompressed where as the other 2 formats use visually lossless compression.

RAW is, as the name suggests, simply the RAW data from the sensor that then needs to be processed in post.

The DNxHD recorded via the Shuttle should be visually identical to the ProRes recorded in camera as the 2 codecs are very similar.

Dave Stone

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks Adam. I worded my original post badly. I understand that the shuttle is recording uncompressed and not raw. I think the real question should have read along the lines of what's the difference in the image being sent to the shuttle vs. what's recorded in raw.

I had assumed that the shuttle would be getting a debayered image. It's the LUT of which I was unaware. What I really want is a log encoded image with no LUT applied so that I have the widest latitude for post.

Dave Stone

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 5:39 pm

In re-reading the manual, it's still not quite clear to me. It looks like I can get ProRes on the SD card in BMD Film (log) mode. If set for BMD Film, is that what's also coming out to the shuttle? If so, then I'm probably all set. I'm more concerned about maintaining exposure and color then I am about introducing compression artifacts (especially at the bitrates involved).

adamroberts

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Whatever record mode you choose that is the same mode sent out out to the Shuttle (or any other device for that matter).

Return to Cinematography