Monitor Question

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

mikesneed2

Monitor Question

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi Everyone,
Proud new owner of BMCC with 4k model on order too.
Trying to make a couple of monitors work. Don't know the real brand of the moniors as they were sold under a store name.
They work fine with 60D or T2i HDMI.
Do not work with BMCC SDI "no signal" message
Bought SDI to HDMI converter - still don't work although the converted signal works fine with TV HDMI.

Any ideas on what is going on.
Just trying to see what equipment I already own is going to work.

MS

mikesneed2

Re: Monitor Question

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Anybody?

Nick Smith

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 1:06 pm

It might have something to do with the BMCC being HD-SDI? I once tried to use mine with a really old monitor that was only standard definition, and I couldn't get it to work at all.

Dustin Svehlak

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 6:10 pm

I found that the SDI out of the BMCC is sending the same frame rate that the BMCC is set to and unless your field monitor supports that, no video will show. I bought the same $37 SDI to HDMI converter folks have talked about on this forum and attempted to use it with my Marshal CT7 monitor. I could only get it to work in 25p or 29.97p, otherwise I would not get a video signal. I contacted the seller of the converter and they confirmed that it just passes through the same frame rate. I then checked with Marshall and they confirmed that the monitor is not capable of processing the 23.98 frame rate.

That being said, most modern televisions are made to handle 23.98p signals for tech like BluRay, so this might be why it works there and not your field monitor. In addition, most DSLRs are not sending a native signal through their HDMI ports. They are sending a consumer friendly 1080p/i for maximum compatibility as both my 7D and EOS M cameras work fine with the same monitor but are recording at 23.98.
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

Rudy Satria

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 8:02 am

Im also still dark about what field monitor will be good on bmcc and how to split it into other monitor for client. Anyone please help me to solve this monitoring system. Many thanks.
Rudy Iskandar

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Rudy Satria wrote:Im also still dark about what field monitor will be good on bmcc and how to split it into other monitor for client. Anyone please help me to solve this monitoring system. Many thanks.

What is your budget for the monitor?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 12:11 am

If you're considering buying a monitor for use with BMD's cameras, consider getting one that can display audio levels for the audio embedded in the camera's HD-SDI / 6G-SDI / HDMI output (since the cams don't currently display levels on their built-in screens, and might not ever, unfortunately).

-

Rudy Satria

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 9:53 am

rick.lang wrote:
What is your budget for the monitor?

Rick Lang

Actually i just want to rent not to buy. Last time i used my BMCC for my commercial production was hard to find the right monitor untill i found DATA VIDEO monitor and used it for my field monitor. But when i playback on the camera, the monitor (datavideo) was off. I tried several monitor like Marshall and other brand but there's no signal. Marshall should be works on BMCC in a certain version.

Can you give me a recommendation or monitor list for BMCC and how to split it into other monitor such HDMI TV for my client? i really need the most affordable price if i should buy one. Thank you Rick :)
Rudy Iskandar

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Rudy Satria wrote:Actually i just want to rent not to buy... Can you give me a recommendation or monitor list for BMCC and how to split it into other monitor such HDMI TV for my client? i really need the most affordable price if i should buy one. Thank you Rick :)

Renting could allow you to use some very attractive gear. Take a look at the SmallHD DP7 Pro lineup including the items that are not shipping yet such as the SB model since that includes SDI inputs with HDMI output. The 1500 nit DP7 Pro HB SX might be a good solution if you want a variety of display options to judge your image.

The downside is i don't think the DP7 Pro models include audio meters! But they will allow you to connect SDI as input from the camera and output HDMI to a client monitor.

Edit: Audio meters will be added soon as a firmware update according to their FAQ. Also take a look at their other future capabilities. I'm not sure if the display LUTs for Rec.709 and DCI-P3 are in the future or are available now. The display LUTs could be very helpful allowing you to record in Film (log) but monitor in standard views for the web and cinema projection.

Contacting SmallHD would clarify that as some of the models have recently been released and some due in August and some have no date specified.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography