Which mount for Niikon

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Saul Martinez

Which mount for Niikon

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 10:09 pm

I want buy the BMCC and uses my collection of Nikon lenses with it, which of the mounts should I ask?

Christian Schmeer

Re: Which mount for Niikon

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Your pick ;) Nikon lenses will adapt to both the MFT and EF mounts. Due to flange distance differences, the Nikon to MFT mount adapter will be quite long in comparison to the EF to Nikon adapter, which is just a thin metal ring.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Saul Martinez

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 11:45 pm

thanks Cristian, just tell how much field of view of the Nikon lenses will I lose with each of the amounts?

Denny Smith

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 11:55 pm

It will be the same, the sensor size is the same on both version of the BMCC camera. The advantage ofmusingmthe M4/3 mount, is,that you canine G lenses with the higher end adapters that have a iris ring added to them, like the Novoflex, which is an excellent adapter. Also the new Metabones speedbooster adapter, which adds a reduced image crop, and iris control. Denny
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 3:39 am

The crop factor is 2.3x on both the EF and MFT mount BMCC, so a 50mm lens becomes a 115mm lens in terms of Full Frame 35mm.

There are Nikon F and G mount adapters for both mounts and there are G mount adapters with an aperture lever / aperture ring for both mounts. The only advantage of the MFT mount in regards to adapting Nikon lenses is that you could use a Metabones Speedbooster, which, as Denny already mentioned, reduces the crop factor and provides additional light, increasing the lens's maximum aperture, in a way.
www.christianschmeer.com

Patrick Finnegan

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 5:35 am

I would definitely recommend going with the micro 4/3 mount if you have Nikon glass for all the reasons others have mentioned and if you get the canon mount you can only adapt canon or nikon glass to it whereas if you get the micro 4/3 mount you can adapt far more styles of lenses including even PL lenses if some day you have a need to occasion to use cine glass and still can use your nikon glass as well.
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Nick Colvill

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 8:22 pm

I use nikon glass on the passive MFT mount via the rainbowimage adapter. It's not a smart adapter (no electronic anything) but has an aperture ring on the mount itself

Ronald Coltress

PostSun Aug 18, 2013 3:27 am

Question for the room, will the Nikon Nikkor 14 mm F/2.8 D AF ED work with the BMCC MFT. ( I'm a little new to the whole outfitting yourself genre) the description says its both manual and automatic and i can get it for a decent price I just wanna make sure I'll be able to use it.

Luctantem

PostSun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Do I need to buy both I mean this Voigtlander Micro Four Thirds to Nikon F Lens Adapter and metabones Nikon G to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster to use nikon lens on mft bmcc camera?

might be a dumb qsn , Sry abt tht !

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Aug 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Luctantem wrote:Do I need to buy both I mean this Voigtlander Micro Four Thirds to Nikon F Lens Adapter and metabones Nikon G to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster to use nikon lens on mft bmcc camera?

might be a dumb qsn , Sry abt tht !

No, they are two separate adapters. The Voigtlander one is a regular Nikon F mount adapter while the Metabones Speed Booster works for both Nikon F and Nikon G mount, increases the maximum aperture by 1 stop, and makes lenses used on it 0.71x wider.
www.christianschmeer.com

Luctantem

PostSun Aug 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Christian Schmeer wrote:No, they are two separate adapters. The Voigtlander one is a regular Nikon F mount adapter while the Metabones Speed Booster works for both Nikon F and Nikon G mount, increases the maximum aperture by 1 stop, and makes lenses used on it 0.71x wider.

Sry, I know both are separate adapters, my qsn is If I want to use nikon F mount lens on mft mount bmcc camera with speedbooster, do I need to buy both adapters?

adamroberts

PostSun Aug 18, 2013 5:53 pm

You don't need both. Each works independently.

The SpeedBooster has a glass element in it that makes the lens wider and faster. (Eg 50mm f/1.4 = 35.5mm f/1.0)

The Voigtlander just adapts the lens. (Eg 50mm f/1.4 = 50mm f/1.4)

adamroberts

PostSun Aug 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Reger wrote:Question for the room, will the Nikon Nikkor 14 mm F/2.8 D AF ED work with the BMCC MFT. ( I'm a little new to the whole outfitting yourself genre) the description says its both manual and automatic and i can get it for a decent price I just wanna make sure I'll be able to use it.

Yeah you can use that lens with a Nikon to MFT adaptor and the Metabones Speedbooster.

Patrick Finnegan

PostSun Aug 18, 2013 8:57 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Reger wrote:Question for the room, will the Nikon Nikkor 14 mm F/2.8 D AF ED work with the BMCC MFT. ( I'm a little new to the whole outfitting yourself genre) the description says its both manual and automatic and i can get it for a decent price I just wanna make sure I'll be able to use it.

Yeah you can use that lens with a Nikon to MFT adaptor and the Metabones Speedbooster.

But you will only be able to use it in manual mode as the BMCC MFT is a passive mount (non powered). That shouldn't be a problem because for most professional filming purposes you want manual control of both aperture and focus. I have the 14mm and love the lens but with any ultra wide its best qualities show up when you put your subject large in the frame and your image puts an expansive background in relation to it. You also have to be careful to line up your image with plumb as it will skew vertical lines that are off axis in your image as it is quite wide.
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

Return to Cinematography