external battery pack help needed please

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

earl riddick

external battery pack help needed please

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey guys and girls so i've been browsing amazon for a good cheap external battery power supply for the bmcc and i came across this which looks promising for all us poor folks. I really don't know enough about electrics and "battery technology" to call this one though so i was hoping one of you smart folks could. its got a 12v output but only at 2a (am i right in thinking the bmcc needs 12v 2.5a ?) it says it powers a laptop or notepad ? any thoughts as to if this will work or not ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/12000mAh-Extern ... 6GBAAV0ETR

cheers folks

Sean Pfeiffer

Re: external battery pack help needed please

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 pm

While I don't have input on the item in question. I have been wondering about these "budget" battery options. Except for the switronix battery and various v-mount batteries out there, there really arent any mounting options for these other ones. I was wondering if anybody has come up with some sort of "universal" mounting option for these batteries. I realize you could always stick the battery in your pocket, but that isn't the most ideal solution, I'd much rather be able to stick the battery onto the support rig.
Sean Pfeiffer

earl riddick

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 8:45 pm

velcro will be my solution

earl riddick

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 5:16 am

bump

Pascal Despeaux

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 12:26 pm

If you already have battery for a Cannon DSLR, Ikan produces an adapter at small price for the BMCC. ;)
Blog : http://leblogdelimage.com

earl riddick

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 12:55 pm

hey pascal cheers for the reply. I was unaware of this product, seems very cool cheers for the heads up ill have a look into it

Matthew Silver

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 1:43 pm

I generally use Anton Bauer Dionics for shooting off the sticks, but when I need to use my BMCC on my slider, I've had a tough time figuring out how to balance the extra weight so that it doesn't affect the move. In those cases, I've used an Anker Astro Pro to keep power to the camera, which has worked out well. It's definitely not a long term power solution as it will only provide power for maybe 45min to an hour and a half (after which the internal battery kicks back in), but it's lightweight and is good for run and gun shooting or situations where you need extra juice but not extra weight.

Matthew

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 3:13 pm

g14matthew wrote:I generally use Anton Bauer Dionics for shooting off the sticks, but when I need to use my BMCC on my slider, I've had a tough time figuring out how to balance the extra weight so that it doesn't affect the move. ...

I think this will work for me in similar situations:

I bought an IKAN 3-stud (Anton-Bauer type) battery mount. If you remove the included 15mm rod clamp (its fastened with 2 screws), and drill a hole through one end of the aluminum plate, you can use a short 1/4-20 screw to attach the battery plate to the top of a BMCC or BMPC-4K (the latter is what I plan to do):
http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=578

I've also drilled 2 sets of holes at both ends of the plate so I can attach it to a tiny custom cheese plate I had made for me, or perpendicularly at the end of shoulder mount rods, as shown here:
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... -thinking/

-

Pascal Despeaux

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 5:12 pm

jj tokenslot pay attention on the model of adapter, Ikan have a lot of models, you need the one who transforms the current of 7.2Vo of the Canon battery to 12V, the model for the BMCC.
Blog : http://leblogdelimage.com

Matthew Silver

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
g14matthew wrote:I generally use Anton Bauer Dionics for shooting off the sticks, but when I need to use my BMCC on my slider, I've had a tough time figuring out how to balance the extra weight so that it doesn't affect the move. ...

I think this will work for me in similar situations:

I bought an IKAN 3-stud (Anton-Bauer type) battery mount. If you remove the included 15mm rod clamp (its fastened with 2 screws), and drill a hole through one end of the aluminum plate, you can use a short 1/4-20 screw to attach the battery plate to the top of a BMCC or BMPC-4K (the latter is what I plan to do):

-

Peter, what kind of drill are you using for the Ikan plate? I'm....not great with power tools, but I have the Ikan plate and i'm looking for better mounting options, because the rod clamp holes are too tight for most of my 15mm rods. Even boring those out a little more would be good, but I like what you've done to make the battery hang off the back of the rails.

Matthew

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 6:42 pm

The Ikan plate for Anton-Bauer pro 3-stud batteries is aluminum (relatively soft) so an ordinary high speed drill bit, and most any electric drill, will work.

To attach the plate directly to the top of a BMCC, the hole can be located approx. along the middle of one end of the plate. On my plate I drilled more than one hole because I attach it to various pieces of gear.

To balance on a small slider, drilling only one hole might be helpful because later in use the plate can be rotated slightly around the hole while on the slider, allowing you to adjust the balance somewhat depending on how the cam is rigged (lens, etc.) on a particular shot. You might choose to apply some thin rubber, felt or cork under the plate so it doesn't scratch the top of your camera.

As shown in the photos, when I have the plate attached perpendicularly at the end of my shoulder mount, I use an old Vocas rod clamp that I drilled 2 holes through so I could bolt it to the Ikan plate. With some ingenuity, the Ikan-supplied rod clamp might be usable for the same purpose, but the Vocas clamp was smaller & easier to drill. I use the Ikan rod clamp for its original purpose of attaching the plate parallel to rods.

One last note: Because I use the battery plate in different ways with different gear, I also tapped & threaded 2 of the holes that I drilled at one end of the plate. The other 2 holes are simple drill holes; not tapped & threaded.

If you're unfamiliar with working with metal, I suggest practicing on some scrap aluminum to get the hang of it. Wear gloves & safety goggles, and work slowly & carefully. "Measure twice!" Apply a few drops of light machine oil on the metal while drilling. It can be fun, really isn't too difficult, and the tools are relatively inexpensive (or borrow them). I'm a complete amateur at it. YMMV.

P1050441-720.jpg
P1050441-720.jpg (96.56 KiB) Viewed 3698 times

P1050457-1080.jpg
P1050457-1080.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 3698 times

P1050461-1080.jpg
P1050461-1080.jpg (378.93 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm

P1050465-1080.jpg
P1050465-1080.jpg (149 KiB) Viewed 3697 times

P1050463-1080.jpg
P1050463-1080.jpg (282.07 KiB) Viewed 3697 times

P1050468-1080.jpg
P1050468-1080.jpg (164.13 KiB) Viewed 3697 times

Matthew Silver

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 12:49 am

Thanks for the follow up and the pics Peter! I was just going to use a three hole punch, but I have a feeling your way is probably more effective. I mentioned I'm not great with power tools, right?

If I'm feeling brave, I'll give it a go with the Ikan and see what I can manage. Thanks again!

Matthew

Return to Cinematography