BMPCC shipping timeline, putting it all together.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

slvs

BMPCC shipping timeline, putting it all together.

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 6:18 am

I know there's been a lot of speculation about when and how many cameras have been shipping and I thought it would be helpful to throw some official statements and confirmed dates into the mix, obviously we have very few numbers/dates to work with but there are enough that we can at least try to make some semi-educated guesses and at the very least give people some idea of what's actually happening.

Tuesday July 30th - BMPCCs actually start leaving the factory, BMD's official statement (on 8/1) is that a very limited number of units are shipping and that production "will continue to ramp through the next couple weeks." Link: http://nofilmschool.com/2013/08/august- ... uction-4k/

Thursday August 8th - Wooden Camera releases the first unboxing shots of a BMPCC, presumably this is one of the first units to leave BMD. Link: http://instagram.com/p/cwszLSN7zR/#

Monday August 12th - Adorama and B&H start shipping to regular customers. Link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11063&p=69848&hilit=Adorama#p69696

Thursday August 22nd - Joshua Helling makes the following statement here in the forum: "BMPC's are arriving and being shipped out every day. We're working hard to get all of you your cameras as soon as possible. Production is still ramping up well, we know you guys are excited about getting your cameras and we look forward to getting them to you soon!" Link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11462#p72635

Analyzing the timeline. So it took Exactly 9 days for WC's camera to get from BMD to B&H to them. Other customers in that very first batch took up to 2 weeks. So from this information we can establish that it takes approximately 9-12 days for the camera to get from BMD to you.

On 8/1 when they announced the actual ship date (7/30), BMD said they will be ramping up in the next couple of weeks, so that means they hoped to be making/shipping a lot more cameras by somewhere around 8/14-8/22. According to Joshua Helling's statement on the forum's yesterday: "Production is still ramping up well," they seem to be meeting their own expectations.

So, in (extremely optimistic) theory, if they started ramping up shipments on 8/14, and it takes as few as 9 days for cameras to reach customers, we could start seeing large numbers of preorders shipping as early as today (8/23). But in the much more likely event that production is just starting to ramp up (as of 8/22 as per Mr. Helling statement above) and it takes closer to two weeks for the cameras to reach us, we should start seeing a larger number of preorders being fulfilled at one time by September 5th.

What do you think? Does my timeline make any kind of sense? Do I need to get a life? Do you have any additional relevant dates to add to this list?
Sam Johnson

Lee Mackreath

Re: BMPCC shipping timeline, putting it all together.

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 7:08 am

Good work!!

I wish there was rhyme or reason for delivery's but it seems that is not the case..

It was telling yesterday that Phillip Bloom (who at the time was reviewing the BMPCC which he borrowed from CVP) received his own personal BMPCC through the post!

Now are you telling me that Mr Bloom sat there on the net and pre ordered his BMPCC on the morning of the 8th hence why he is one of the first to get the camera in the UK?...I doubt it...

You have people in the US that ordered first thing with Adorama and B&H and still have nothing, and yet some people in other places who were days down the queue got theirs???

jasonxinzhou

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 7:20 am

August 23, BMD's Chinese dealer, OxygenTec, just posted in a Chinese forum claiming that they will get 20 pocket cameras on August 27 for sale, which is next Tuesday. How could BMD allocate a whole bunch of these cameras to Chinese while most of us are still backordered?

Here's the link:
http://www.filmaker.cn/forum.php?mod...read&tid=37258

slvs

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 9:46 am

jasonxinzhou wrote:August 23, BMD's Chinese dealer, OxygenTec, just posted in a Chinese forum claiming that they will get 20 pocket cameras on August 27 for sale, which is next Tuesday. How could BMD allocate a whole bunch of these cameras to Chinese while most of us are still backordered?

Here's the link:
http://www.filmaker.cn/forum.php?mod...read&tid=37258

Hopefully this is indicative of things to come worldwide..
Sam Johnson

Return to Cinematography