Sandisk Extreme II?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dave Perry

Re: Sandisk Extreme II?

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 3:43 am

I'm really surprised that this thread is so long. I appreciate Nehemiah stating the testing criteria BMD uses before they certify a drive. I appreciate that they work with the drive manufacturers to improve the drives. What I can't understand is why someone would use a drive NOT on the approved list. It's very simple.
S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
524 N. Normandie Ave. Unit 2
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Alexander Arndt

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 12:03 pm

hey , iam not complaining after all :)

Mark Davies

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 3:51 pm

So Have I got this right? When testing the sandisk 2's They dropped frames when the camera was running for ten minutes and no dropped frames before 10 minutes. However because the dropped frames did occur after 10 minutes IE extended running then the drive could not go on the approved list.
Mark Davies

sean mclennan

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 pm

I think you guys are being too granular in the hopes of making yourself feel better about buying an SSD that isn't approved.

Nehemiah Ellsperman wrote:We are not going to endorse a SSD unless we can say it will 'never' fail during a recording.

There is the BM standard.

There are lots of people using SSDs not on BMs list, but you're on your own for determining if they will work for your usage. You can't expect BM to manage a list with all sorts of different uses/environments.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Of course you're welcome to make your own decision on your purchases but the whole reason of us putting an approved list together is to help the consumer make the best decision based on their needs. Any other SSD you decide to use that isn't on the list is at your own discretion.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Dave Perry

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 6:56 pm

I wouldn't expect any less from BMD regarding SSDs. It's the exact same thing as buying certified CF cards for a Ki Pro Mini I used to use. AJA has a list of approved cards. Using others will work but not consistently.
S1H
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Ian Cresswell

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Come on. The Extreme II is the latest SSD from SanDisk, arguably the most well known flash media brand in the world. It SHOULD work. We can argue that people ought to check the compatibility list first and make sure it works. Ok, sure. But in my book, this is a failure on Blackmagic's part. It SHOULD work. Plain and simple.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 7:42 pm

If you go back and read Nehemiah's posts, you'll find the reasons why it is still in the approval process.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

adamroberts

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Ian Cresswell wrote:Come on. The Extreme II is the latest SSD from SanDisk, arguably the most well known flash media brand in the world. It SHOULD work. We can argue that people ought to check the compatibility list first and make sure it works. Ok, sure. But in my book, this is a failure on Blackmagic's part. It SHOULD work. Plain and simple.

It's not as simple as that. Different SSDs are built with different controllers. Each performs differently when continuously writing. SanDisk changed the controller. It now works differently. The changes SanDisk made are not in BM's control so how is this BM's failure?

This is why BM have a certified list of SSDs. It's really simple.

Ian Cresswell

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 8:08 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Ian Cresswell wrote:Come on. The Extreme II is the latest SSD from SanDisk, arguably the most well known flash media brand in the world. It SHOULD work. We can argue that people ought to check the compatibility list first and make sure it works. Ok, sure. But in my book, this is a failure on Blackmagic's part. It SHOULD work. Plain and simple.

It's not as simple as that. Different SSDs are built with different controllers. Each performs differently when continuously writing. SanDisk changed the controller. It now works differently. The changes SanDisk made are not in BM's control so how is this BM's failure?

"It's not as simple as that. .... It's really simple." So much simplicity everywhere ;). It's the latest SSD from SanDisk. It should work. I'm willing to make excuses for Blackmagic in a lot of other areas, but this is not one. The drive has been out for 9+ months. Make it work. It's the fastest SSD drive from the biggest brand, we shouldn't even have to debate whether or not it works. Yes it's not using the SanForce controller and now uses the Marvell controller, but a lot of manufacturers have started doing this. So, support it. I buy SanDisk exclusively, because I've used their stuff for over a decade (MMC cards, CF cards, SD cards, microSD cards, SSDs) and never had an issue. Others may think it silly, but honestly this lack of SSD support frustrates me way more than the other issues the camera has.

***EDIT*** I also suggest people read this article about SanForce vs Marvell SSD controllers if you're wondering about it.

http://shop.plextoramericas.com/blog/20 ... ontroller/

The Marvell isn't some sort of inferior slow controller. On the contrary, as is stated in this article "Marvell achieves superior read-write performance with both compressible and incompressible data in clean or dirty state. Handling incompressible data is essential to the gamer where quick and almost instant loading of complex scenes is critical in tournament play, especially with online competition. Or consider a photographer where the ability to transfer tens of thousands of pictures a week quickly and efficiently is essential, saving time and increasing productivity."

sean mclennan

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Ian Cresswell wrote:
adamroberts wrote:

"It's not as simple as that. .... It's really simple." So much simplicity everywhere ;). It's the latest SSD from SanDisk. It should work. I'm willing to make excuses for Blackmagic in a lot of other areas, but this is not one. The drive has been out for 9+ months. Make it work. It's the fastest SSD drive from the biggest brand, we shouldn't even have to debate whether or not it works. Yes it's not using the SanForce controller and now uses the Marvell controller, but a lot of manufacturers have started doing this. So, support it. I buy SanDisk exclusively, because I've used their stuff for over a decade (MMC cards, CF cards, SD cards, microSD cards, SSDs) and never had an issue. Others may think it silly, but honestly this lack of SSD support frustrates me way more than the other issues the camera has.

Apparently, you haven't read up on this topic at all...do you understand the differences between the SanForce and Marvell controllers? Do you know what the controllers do? Its down to how efficient they move data around. SanForce is designed for moving large blocks of data and Marvell is designed for moving a lot of smaller blocks. Care to guess which one is better for recording raw video? "Make it work"? lol, really?

I've been using Sandisk Extreme exclusively for over 10 years now. I was the first to call them (sandisk) and ask why their new SSDs wouldn't work with BMCCs. THEY told me they changed controllers and their new controller wasn't as good as the old one for this SPECIFIC use. These SSDs are NOT designed for cameras after all, they're designed for computer use. This is info that comes directly from Sandisk.

Ian Cresswell

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 8:34 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Apparently, you haven't read up on this topic at all...do you understand the differences between the SanForce and Marvell controllers? Do you know what the controllers do? Its down to how efficient they move data around. SanForce is designed for moving large blocks of data and Marvell is designed for moving a lot of smaller blocks. Care to guess which one is better for recording raw video? "Make it work"? lol, really?

I've been using Sandisk Extreme exclusively for over 10 years now. I was the first to call them (sandisk) and ask why their new SSDs wouldn't work with BMCCs. THEY told me they changed controllers and their new controller wasn't as good as the old one for this SPECIFIC use. These SSDs are NOT designed for cameras after all, they're designed for computer use. This is info that comes directly from Sandisk.

"Apparently, you haven't read up on this topic at all...do you understand the differences between the SanForce and Marvell controllers? Do you know what the controllers do?" That's called an ad hominem attack.

And yes, I have read up. I linked an article in my previous post. You might want to read it.

Mark Davies

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Come on lets not get into an ass kicking competition All we want is BM to update so the sandisk 2 will work. My sandisk 2's work perfectly so there cant be that much wrong. The problem as already stated is the sandisk had problems after 10 minutes or extended periods So yes they have to be careful because if it happened after 10 minutes then the drive cant be sanctioned. Fine I get that and I appreciate the information and the warning use at your own risk. On the basis the tests showed up as being problematic over extended periods probably down to the processing having to work to hard and keep up when over prolonged periods I'll take that for what it is and take the chance Still a lot less chance of anything screwing up than using film and the problems with that getting snagged.
Mark Davies

Mark de Jeu

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Ian, it looks like nothing is going to convince you otherwise.

I understand why Red decided to go the proprietary card route, but I'm just glad BMD was able to engineer the BMCC to use non-proprietary cards. Check out http://www.red.com/store/media for a little perspective.

I'm actually hoping SanDisk brings back the Extreme. They didn't seem too keen when I suggested that to them, however. (Which I kind of understand since there is a lot more volume in computer gaming than in digital cinema cameras.) Short of that, Digistor might be my best bet.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Ian Cresswell

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 10:07 pm

Mark de Jeu wrote:Ian, it looks like nothing is going to convince you otherwise.

This isn't about me. Why shift the issue from a device and an issue to a person?

I don't have anything against any person in here. I'm simply expressing my displeasure and frustration with a product. I'm not questioning anyone else's knowledge or intentions. I find it disturbing that when someone expresses and opinion, others make assumptions about and criticisms of their level of familiarity and ability to understand an issue. Is someone here an SSD controller tech? I would be sincerely interested in hearing why a Marvell controller is unable to write at least 110MB (Prores 4k) per second for a sustained time.

As to the argument that SSDs are intended for computers... That's exactly what these cameras are. So that's not a good excuse IMO. This isn't some off-brand cheapo SSD. It's the main offering from the main brand. It should absolutely work. Imagine if canon products didn't work with the newest Sandisk cards. That wouldn't just slide by.

Honestly, the overarching issue is the achingly bad lack of support for the cameras in general. The only tenable argument is that since the cameras are so cheap, it's not reasonable to expect everything to work. Well, I'm willing to allow that for a lot of things, but I'm pretty weary of hearing it. And I'm sure the response from many would be "well then buy another camera", again blaming the consumer. But I say why is it, to so many, unreasonable for me to expect some basic levels of functionality and compatibility? It isn't unreasonable. And that's my opinion, so there's no right or wrong. It's just my opinion.

Mark de Jeu

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 11:32 pm

BMD, I'm not the one prioritizing firmware updates (thankfully), but if I had a vote I would cast it against assigning more than a small amount of your valuable and finite engineering resources on this issue. We have plenty of other SSD options to serve our needs. If any engineering time spent on this is time taken away from other firmware updates, I'd say to consider that this update is relatively low in value.

If an update would be doable and quick, great. If not, we can use our cameras with non-SanDisk options.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Ian Cresswell

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 4:16 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:Ian, BMD are not making any excuses, they simply say the Extreme II devices do not pass their testing and are therefore not approved.

There are almost no other devices that have to write files as quickly as these cameras, and it would seem Sandisk are catering for the much larger gaming community and have designed their on-board controller to suit. So in the end, Sandisk have chosen to make their disks incompatible with the BMD camera, not the other way around.

There are other ones that work, so why get mad at BMD? They have done their homework well and have published lists of disks that have been thoroughly tested, what more can you ask of them?

SanDisk hasn't "chosen to make their disks incompatible with the BMD camera". They chose to use a different controller (Marvell), one that allows them to use custom firmware to achieve the fastest read and write speeds available. Again, I would ask, can Blackmagic really not make their camera work with the drive in such a way that it can achieve less than 1/4 of the rated sustained write speed (110MB/sec ProRes vs at least 440MB/sec+ sustained write of the drive) the card is capable of? We're not even talking about pushing the card anywhere close to the maximum here.

The Extreme I is now both hard to find, and because of that it's far more expensive. The Extreme II is the new (well, 9 months old at this point) standard. Again, I see that people keep pointing towards the other cards. That's all well and good. What I'm saying is, that in my OPINION it is unacceptable for BMD cameras not to support the latest version of SanDisk SSD (the extreme II) at this point.

Tell you what, let me give you a case study here. This happened just today, believe it or not. I actually received a call from a colleague today. He had rented a Blackmagic 4k from a local rental house. He was out on set yesterday shooting and had managed to film a few clips. He turned off the camera to save battery. When he turned it back on, the SSD was unrecognized. Off, on, off, on. Still nothing. He took the drive out to try it in a computer and see if the clips he'd already shot were still there. It seemed they were. So he waited, then put the drive back in and this time it showed up. But later on he ran into the same problem. Anyways, he knows I am familiar with Blackmagic hardware and so called me. I asked him "are you using a SanDisk extreme II by any chance?". "Yes", was his reply. I had to explain to him that they are not "officially supported" yet, and that I was actually actively engaged in a forum conversation on the very issue. He was incredulous. SanDisk is THE brand for flash media, at least in my part of the world (southern United States). Why on earth would a 480GB SanDisk extreme II NOT work? I wish I was making this story up, but I can assure you I am not. I can provide specifics on the name of the shooter and the location where the BMPC 4K was rented. My point is, why should he have to look up the BMD website to check and make sure his SSD is going to work? It seems highly reasonable to expect that a large capacity, modern SSD, from the most recognizable flash media brand, is going to work. But it doesn't. To me personally, that's just ridiculous.

Why get "mad"? Well, actually, I haven't ever said that I'm mad. Again, it's frustrating that expressing a dissenting voice gets treated with hostility, as though I'm to blame. I have merely been expressing frustration, and stating that I find the situation unacceptable.

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 5:09 am

Ian, it seems to me that your preference for buying Sandisk is based upon many years of successfully using a variety of their products. Every manufacturer strives to build such brand loyalty. But history is not a guarantee of future performance. In this one case, it appears that a Sandisk product is not ideal as your friend discovered.

Even if BMD succeeds in getting good results with the card at some point in the future, the reality is that today it is not yet a recommended card. If you are in the south of the United States, please, I invite you to demand your supplier carry the Digistor drives that are certified fit for the intended purpose (designed to work in BMD cameras, not computers) in 240 GB and 480 GB capacities. It's a simple and practical solution for anyone in the US. At least, give your friends that option if they are unaware of the Digistor drives. It's never too late to develop a new brand loyalty when it is earned.

Disclaimer: I no longer live in the US. I'm not in any way affiliated with Digistor and do not use any SSD in any capacity for any purpose. I'm writing this from my armchair having put several hundreds of hours of analysis into every aspect of cinematography that interests me but I'm only on the peripheral of the gritty battle-tested trenches of cinematic warfare.

I've spent several decades as an expert in information technology and software development and I'm closer, in my armchair, to understanding the strengths and weaknesses of digital technology than most people but, humbly, I'm always amazed at the breadth and depth of knowledge of people in the business of making movies and making movie technology as it is incredibly more complex than a lay person can imagine.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Ian Cresswell

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 5:31 am

Rick,

Fair enough. I appreciate your thoughtful response. I'll investigate Digistor. I too, have worked in the IT field for over a decade (not that it makes me an expert on SSD drives, I'm just trying to provide context for my level of familiarity), and although I know the name, I don't personally know anyone who uses their SSDs. Here, the most popular SSD brands would be SanDisk, Samsung, Intel, and Kingston, by a wide margin. Crucial and Transcend would be after that.

Although "brand loyalty" may seem silly (I'm not saying anyone has made that comment, just noting it may exist in though), I don't consider it to be so when it comes to media storage. Working in tech, I've seen so many people go through legitimate heartache over lost drives containing precious data, be it pictures, videos, documents, or otherwise. So, my attachment to SanDisk products isn't necessarily "brand loyalty" so much as it is simply me sticking with the most reliable product. I realize the distinction seems trivial, but I'm trying to emphasize that my attachment to SanDisk has nothing to do with it being a well known brand, or widely available. It has to do with reliability.

Anyways, I appreciate your comment, Rick. **EDIT** Removed section regarding "Sandisk's fault" since after re-reading your words were "not ideal", which is a fair statement.
Last edited by Ian Cresswell on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Cresswell

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 5:38 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:You speak of the sustained write speed of the card, but as it has been pointed out here by others, including BMD themselves, you cannot rely on the figures published by the SSD makers, they are optimised for sales reasons to impress you. The card may claim to have a 440MB/s write speed, but it may not be able to sustain that speed for long periods of time. Disks are not normally intended to write large amounts of data for long periods, if you have that sort of operation you normally implement a RAID array. But that is not practical in something like a camera.

Geoff,

I understand your point. I was actually pulling that 440MB number not straight from the manufacturer's claims, but just as a reference number after reading reviews from a variety of sites. For example, googling "sandisk extreme ii sustained write speed" provided this review as the first link (it's not an in-depth or exhaustive review, but it can provide at least one data-point): http://www.pcworld.com/article/2040239/ ... dable.html

I still contend that for a card EASILY capable of writing 300mb+ even under non-ideal transfer conditions, it's reasonable to expect it to write at 110MB/sec for BMPC 4k. Or even 150mb/sec for 30fps raw on the BMCC. 150mb/sec seems an extremely reasonable expectation for these SSDs.

But, I suppose I'm belaboring the point at this stage. For now it just boils down to my opinion I suppose. Which is likely not often worth much ;). Again, I like BMCC cameras, despite all their shortcomings. I own a BMPC 4k and have shot several things with a BMCC. I just think this is a particularly distressing issue, that's all.

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Ian, thanks for your comments. I agree about your list of popular drives. I'm not sure what the explanation may be for Digistor's lack of penetration of the BMD camera market compared to the brands you listed. I do think they don't do much marketing compared to the big name brands and they don't appear to have the lowest prices which is important to many.

Even though my own videos are not high end in any way as I'm doing everything pro bono, I'm devastated to have equipment failures or if equipment is not performing up to my expectations. Although the dollars are much less than the cost of SSDs, I buy the best tapes available to me locally for my modest Canon HV20. And the tapes have worked flawlessly. I'll do the same when I'm shooting with SSDs as the clips are all precious and irreplaceable to those who I capture. Like you say, reliability is king.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Alexander Arndt

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 4:57 pm

i just done a ssd bench, screenshot inside.
Intel Z87 with Intel Sata Controller. The Speed varies with driver version, this was done with 12.9.0.1001.
Attachments
as-ssd-bench SanDisk SDSSDXP2 14.03.2014 17-45-18.png
as-ssd-bench SanDisk SDSSDXP2 14.03.2014 17-45-18.png (41 KiB) Viewed 11095 times

Mark Davies

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 9:35 pm

So what does it all mean? Should the Sandisk II be able to record okay on the 4k camera?
Mark Davies

Mark Davies

PostFri Mar 14, 2014 11:10 pm

I would assume the camera would take what it needs to process the information and the SSD must have enough headroom to provide that and most likely a lot more and that an SSD drive like the sandisk II will have what it takes but up to the BM camera to take it.
There is no way Sandisk created an inferior drive Just better with smaller packets of info than larger packets But then by how much Surely not to an extent it would affect the much lower needs of a BM camera.

Somewhere down the line this must surely be a BM software issue and not the Sandisk that processes larger info slightly less better than it does smaller but never the less well within the thresholds of the BM camera requirements.

It just doesn't make sense to blame Sandisk and I bet if they were here they would probably be able to tell BM what to do to improve it. Maybe BM should ask them?
Mark Davies

Alexander Arndt

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 12:47 am

hey this is not really any related test i was showing there, actually it was meant like, i have this disc and it runs ,like i would say, save to use, whatever insurance you want from BM, just imagine, you buy 10 drives that are certified, than you record your big project and than you go, data lost, so who will assure for this? i dont think BM does. so i can supply all the info i have to show you how this work out for me. shouldnt we doing this for a community after all?`

Mark Davies

PostSat Mar 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:
Mark2929 wrote:Somewhere down the line this must surely be a BM software issue and not the Sandisk that processes larger info slightly less better than it does smaller but never the less well within the thresholds of the BM camera requirements.

It just doesn't make sense to blame Sandisk and I bet if they were here they would probably be able to tell BM what to do to improve it. Maybe BM should ask them?

Well, everything that goes wrong is traditionally the fault of BMD, so why not this as well?

Writing to a disk is child's play, I have written disk handling routines many times for dedicated controller chips, in other words, exactly what BMD are doing with their cameras. And there is little you can do to 'improve' the routine, because it is ridiculously simple. And if the write routine works fine for the other 16 or so SSDs on the approved list, why modify it?

However I have never needed to write anything that is remotely like this situation where the device is writing data constantly and at a fast rate, so I can only guess at what can go wrong with the process. So, I am thinking that the most likely problem is the write routine is filling up the SSD cache faster than the SSD on-board controller is able to write the data to the storage array. And if that is the case, then please take my word for it, there aint nothing you can do to fix that situation.

All the published data from SSD manufacturers use routines that are designed to highlight the good points of their drives, and they will almost certainly interleave write cycles with read cycles to improve the 'look' of the figures. Just that simple trick will result in improved write figures. But it bears no resemblance to what is happening in reality.

As you already have confirmed from another poster in the other thread you started, the original Sandisk Extreme works with RAW, the Extreme II does not.

Geoff You really are determined to be antagonistic aren't you. Calm down I'm not blaming BM I'm trying to find out what the problem is. Clearly you don't know so why bother posting speculation. What we do know is the Sandisk II is a top of the range SSD that errs towards gaming and not large video files.
I have confirmed nothing So please don't tell me what to think. Yes one poster has said his Sandisk II doesn't do RAW on his BM camera but there have been other posters from other threads who have also said their sandisk II's work perfectly with RAW.

I was hoping to get some clarity about real life use but with posts like yours decimating any hope of getting some solid info for us poor people stuck with the sandisk II's there is no chance. Don't you have any empathy for others at all?
Mark Davies

Mark Davies

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 9:40 am

Geoff
Why do you take everything the wrong way? You then treat speculation as fact and anyone who dares question you as an idiot. You never used to be like that. What happened?
Mark Davies

Mark Davies

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 6:06 pm

DiskSpeedTest.png
Just done a test on the Sandisk using the BM Speed disk test Although not in the camera but using an SSD adapter via USB port.
Mark Davies

Alexander Arndt

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Internal SSD Extreme II G24 240 GB - Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller Driver Ver. 12.9.0.1001 with BM Speed Disk Test
Attachments
DiskSpeedTest.png
DiskSpeedTest.png (724.28 KiB) Viewed 10996 times

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 10:10 pm

We've come to rely on the BMD Speed Test as a quick guide to the suitability of a drive to handle video. But with the recent explanation that BMD tests SSDs operating for hundreds of hours and for continuous recordings that can be very long clips (as would occur typically in many corporate interview and event shots), the BMD Speed Test may not be as reliable an indicator as we thought it to be. At least when I use that test, I only run it less than a minute, until it seems to show reasonable consistency in its figures.

I think the testing BMD does on our behalf is the most reliable test and even that may on occasion be imperfect. That's why it is interesting to hear of people having no problems with unapproved drives or hearing of problems with approved drives. I still wish BMD would list the drives that fail their tests and why they failed.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Alexander Arndt

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:22 pm

they actually updated the certified list with this new model

Sandisk Extreme 240GB (SDSSDX-240G-G25)

alex.xkhw

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 11:13 am

Alexander Arndt wrote:they actually updated the certified list with this new model

Sandisk Extreme 240GB (SDSSDX-240G-G25)

That seems to be the original Sandisk Extreme SSD drive (not the newer II version) that has been on the list for a while now. Am I wrong? Is is a new drive?

Alexander Arndt

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:23 pm

the Sandisk Extreme has an internal code in my computer labelb as
SDSSDXP240G

the Sandisk ExtremeII as listed
SDSSDX-240G-G25

John Palaganas

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Wow I made a mistake and bought 2 Sandisk Extreme II 480GB :cry:

The one listed on the approved SSD has the following part no: SDSSDX-480G-G25 and the one I bought has SDSSDXP-480G-G25. I didn't notice the extra "P".

From my very limited testing of short duration clips, 1 SSD seems to record fine on the BMPC4K. Haven't even unwrapped the other one.

Should I return it and exchange it for proven brand/model?

Mark Davies

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 8:59 pm

John Palaganas wrote:Wow I made a mistake and bought 2 Sandisk Extreme II 480GB :cry:

The one listed on the approved SSD has the following part no: SDSSDX-480G-G25 and the one I bought has SDSSDXP-480G-G25. I didn't notice the extra "P".

From my very limited testing of short duration clips, 1 SSD seems to record fine on the BMPC4K. Haven't even unwrapped the other one.

I did the exact same thing I decided to keep mine though. So far my unwrapped one has worked fine.
Mark Davies

John Palaganas

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 9:13 pm

Mark2929 wrote:
John Palaganas wrote:Wow I made a mistake and bought 2 Sandisk Extreme II 480GB :cry:

I did the exact same thing I decided to keep mine though. So far my unwrapped one has worked fine.

Do you have BMCC or BMPC4K? It might be fine on PRORESS but still untested for the compressed RAW for the 4K. Only BMD will know since firmware is not out yet for this feature.

BTW how do you know if you're unwrapped one is working fine?

Alexander Arndt

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 9:26 pm

iam using this drive with the bmcc2.5k

John Palaganas

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 10:30 pm

Alexander Arndt wrote:iam using this drive with the bmcc2.5k

Can you record RAW for more than 10 minutes?

Alexander Arndt

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 10:39 pm

iam not sure if i encoutared that long recording time at once.

John Palaganas

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Alexander Arndt wrote:iam not sure if i encoutared that long recording time at once.

ok well have you ever experienced any drop in frames recording RAW like what the others here have stated?

Alexander Arndt

PostFri Apr 11, 2014 3:04 pm

i was shooting just yesterday and recorded RAW on to the SandiskExtremeII. everything ok.

John Greene

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 3:07 am

Sandisk Extreme II not working on My BMPC 4K Format it to Ex-fat

My card SanDisk Extreme II 480GB Camera Say No SSD. :cry:
Junior

Jaime Gomez Lindo

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 6:55 am

Hi. I got my BMCC since a few days. I buy the Sandisk Extreme II 480 and got dropped frames very frequently in Raw. I didnt test yet with prores or DNxHD.
Anyone else?

Perrone Ford

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Djames wrote:Hi. I got my BMCC since a few days. I buy the Sandisk Extreme II 480 and got dropped frames very frequently in Raw. I didnt test yet with prores or DNxHD.
Anyone else?

Correct. I have 2 of these. They do not work for RAW in the BMCC. They work fine for ProRes and DNxHD. I have recorded several hours of video on both SSD's with both codecs and I have no issues.

Dave Perry

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Djames wrote:Hi. I got my BMCC since a few days. I buy the Sandisk Extreme II 480 and got dropped frames very frequently in Raw. I didnt test yet with prores or DNxHD.
Anyone else?

You will have 100% success if you simply stick with the SSDs listed as officially supported by BMD. It's very straight forward, simple, and leaves no guess work.
S1H
Hollywood USA 90004
LAcinematographer.com

Perrone Ford

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 4:50 pm

dp351 wrote:
Anyone else?

You will have 100% success if you simply stick with the SSDs listed as officially supported by BMD. It's very straight forward, simple, and leaves no guess work.

:)

While I had every intention of doing this, I got in a hurry while ordering some other things, and bought these mistakenly since the code is SO close to the one's that actually DO work. I needed a 2hr RAW run time for a show I was recording. Of course, with the dropped frames, it was unusable, but live and learn.

I now use those two SSDs for long form recording with ProRes/DNxHD. I still need to find something viable for shooting long form RAW video. The 480GB Sandisk that works is quite rare and VERY expensive.

Mark de Jeu

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Perrone Ford wrote:
dp351 wrote:
Anyone else?

:)

While I had every intention of doing this, I got in a hurry while ordering some other things, and bought these mistakenly since the code is SO close to the one's that actually DO work. I needed a 2hr RAW run time for a show I was recording. Of course, with the dropped frames, it was unusable, but live and learn.

I now use those two SSDs for long form recording with ProRes/DNxHD. I still need to find something viable for shooting long form RAW video. The 480GB Sandisk that works is quite rare and VERY expensive.

I'm excited to see that B&H is going to start carrying Digistor.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... e_for.html
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

rick.lang

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 7:44 pm

Good find, Mark, and $20 cheaper than ordering directly from Digistor. Now hopefully their exposure and sales will pick up with such a high profiler retailer on board.

Edit: just noticed that Digistor has also reduced their price to match B&H, $479 for 480 GB.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang
Previous

Return to Cinematography