Phillip Blooms BMPCC Footage

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Lee Mackreath

Phillip Blooms BMPCC Footage

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Phillip blooms footage from the bmpcc

Nicely shot.. Best footage I have seen... Still not blown away by the quality though..

Nevin Styre

Re: Phillip Blooms BMPCC Footage

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 7:54 pm

"The HD version of this video is being encoded right now and will be ready soon. Until then please enjoy the SD version."

Might be why the quality isn't blowing you away. If you're logged in you should be able to download the original 1920x816 video file.

Jimmykorea

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 8:05 pm

The guy has issues. Absolutely no one is allowed to critique his work. I highlighted this to him the other day and he just deleted my comment. Why the ego? He's a blogger...

he wants to come across as some really nice guy but he's as sensitive and prickly as my ex girlfriend. You can't put stuff on the internet and not expect some negative views.

Aleksandar Bogdanov

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm not impressed. Some really bad clipped highlights on her face. It was his first shoot I suppose, so it is ok.

But I really don't get it when people just crop their 16:9 footage! Most of the time it is so obvious it was not composed for that ratio. Anyway, hopefully the next one will be better. And even better if we finally get our cameras before he finishes the third part! :)

ungovernedreason

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 8:23 pm

He has stated that Vimeo is starting to receive YouTube like troll comments. He has always struck me as a more then reasonable person and a great videographer. I would be surprised if you posted a respectful and informed comment that was objectively constructive and he deleted it. I do know he gets upset with people calling him out on dumb things like too many ads in his blog. He does his public pieces for free and he is an accomplished individual who has a right to promote his stuff in turn for the free information he is giving to all of us. If anybody is overly sensitive in this field it would be John Brawley.
Sorry John lol I love both of your guys work.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Jimmykorea

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Well I did. I simply told him that he can't control the Internet and should accept criticism and if he fights it he just comes across looking like a big baby. Sorry accomplished? What movies has he DP'd?

ungovernedreason

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Your watching his stuff aren't you? accomplished...who here does not know who he is? I think that is an accomplishment...And called him a baby lol accused him of trying to control the internet? lol I think my point is made.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Jimmykorea

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Can you read?

Well I would more accurately say you missed the point. I will repeat that I said he comes across looking like a baby firing back and getting upset by negative comments AND I said he CAN'T control what what people post and shouldn't bother. This came after him suggesting he was on a mini crusade to stand up for politeness on the web.

Being known isn't the same as a major accomplishment, he's an ok cameraman, he deserves the same respect as any other guy on Vimeo. he should like everyone be treated like anyone else. Would you shot back at Mr Bloom like you just did to me? Right

I have no problem with Mr Bloom but he doesn't just do what he does out of the kindness of his heart he has all kind of links on his blog and even has products he's flogging, last time I checked he was selling a bag with a vacumn pump for $400. Fair enough but he is trying to make money from having a profile in the filmmaking blogging niche, it's a fact.

ungovernedreason

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Dont understand ALL of your last post. But I maintain my two posts before. Somebody on a crusade to bring politeness to the internet...yea he really deserves to be picked on. I dont have time for this lol im sorry that somebody felt the need to defend themselves...im sure it wont happen again. What was he thinking?
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Nevin Styre

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Jimmykorea wrote:Can you read?

Well I would more accurately say you missed the point. I will repeat that I said he comes across looking like a baby firing back and getting upset by negative comments AND I said he CAN'T control what what people post and shouldn't bother. This came after him suggesting he was on a mini crusade to stand up for politeness on the web.

why are you firing back at ungovernedreason? you seem to be coming off as a baby as you can't handle the criticism of your online posting manners. Maybe check the ego there.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 9:38 pm

No need for tongue-lashing each other folks. Please keep it about the work and be constructive. I don't want to have to lock a thread because the conversation goes south.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Nevin Styre

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Agreed, don't take my last post to heart. Just thought someone should point out the irony of calling out someone on a specific behaviour then minutes later turning around and displaying that exact same behaviour them-self.

I think the footage looks great, yes there are some little issues but that is kind of the point of these first look videos, to learn the limits of the camera then develop ways to work inside those limits to achieve the best possible look and the highest quality.

i am the one

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 11:15 pm

I would say 70-80% of the shots looked cinema worthy. This is really good considering maybe 50% of the shots on a zillion dollar production make it to the screen.

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 11:27 pm

LMACKREATH wrote:Still not blown away by the quality though..

Downloaded the HD file, watching on a calibrated Panny 42BT300 broadcast monitor..

Holy sh..

Blown away doesnt describe it.

Miraculous from a $999 camera.

Ryan Jones

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 11:38 pm

We've all seen so much HD footage these days are we really going to be 'blown away' by the quality and resolution? It's the dynamic range that amazes me, in something I can take anywhere. Mine is off to the footy today!

Jimmykorea

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 5:55 am

Nevin wrote:

why are you firing back at ungovernedreason? you seem to be coming off as a baby as you can't handle the criticism of your online posting manners. Maybe check the ego there.

I didn't disagree I was setting him straight on what I actually said rather than what he thought I said. my comments to Philip Bloom were constructive and a suggestion they weren't an attack on him. Absolutely everyone is free to say something is rubbish and not be attacked on all sides which is what happens to anyone who says anything negative on Blooms Vimeo. If someone has a valid opinion about work then it's valid, you don't need to agree but them saying something is rubbish is ok, this isn't the NSA.

ungovernedreason

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 8:02 am

Nevin wrote:

I saw the irony in that as well. I think the footage looks very film like and I watched it on standard definition. Exactly what I would expect from the codec. Makes me happy with my B-camera choice. Mr Bloom is taking alot of hate these days. I feel sorry for him really.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

georgetsirogiannis

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 8:49 am

I think the footage is very good taking into account it's from a little-less-than-1000-effin-dollar camera. We shouldn't forget the price tag on that, should we? :)

Jace Ross

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 9:29 am

I think the footage is gorgeous. Kills the cameras I have/have had.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Andrew Reid

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 2:26 pm

From my own experience of blogging or putting your personal filmmaking / cinematography work in the lion's den, critical comments are hard to take online.

I lost a friend in Phil, thanks to Twitter and not having the same opinion. The problem with the internet is that opinions become a battlefield. There's no tone, facial expression, all you have to go off is the opinion. Sucks.

When someone disagrees with you over the internet it feels like an attack, so it escalates to become stinging and nasty on a personal level. There's politics too, bric-bats of running a blog in competition for the same audience. In the real world when I am in a pub and a friend sees it one way and I the other we argue it out with humorous putdowns and jokes then move on. Somehow it never seems to work like that on the internet.

I still have major differences of opinions with Philip and don't see things the same way on everything. Sometimes a like his work, almost always like his eye for composition, but I don't usually share the same perspective on commercial work, don't sometimes agree with his choice of tool, sometimes feel something he's put out there is lightweight, not outspoken or dangerous enough. But so what? Nobody is the same. Nobody is perfect. I'm certainly not perfect, although I certainly do less cat related self-promotion, posing and hipster stuff than Phil does!! :evil: Sadly these differences of opinion gets seen as an attack when 90% of the time I agree with Bloom and share common ground personality wise!

There's only two modes of communication on the internet it seems...

Sycophantic adulation.

Or...

Trolling.

No shades of grey!
British filmmaker and editor of EOSHD

bhook

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Even my ham-handed eyes picked up on the clipped highlights on her face and the moire on her dress and her hair.

VicHarris

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Since this is my first post here I'm sure I'll get blasted but holly crap JimmeyKorea, are you really doing the same crap here as you did on PV? Why do you have to argue with everyone all the time? That's why you were banned from PV. V gave you a lot of room to hang yourself and you still went on until we couldn't stand you anymore. Yes, this is an attack and if this is the way you act on every forum, you're going t be changing your screen name a lot. Dude chill out.

paul schefz

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 7:19 pm

this was not shot raw and it was graded with film convert, which looks great/filmlike/whatever but tends to bump up the contrast and blow out highlights (not that they would not have been blown in that situation with pretty much any camera anyway..)....i think it looks great....3 years ago this would have changed the world coming from any camera...and now this is from a 1000$ pocket-able camera....

i am not sure why mr bloom insists on wide screen...but its his show and he likes it....and i am happy he is doing what he is doing and if i don't like what and how he is doing it i just won't watch.....i have never paid for his services and i am very grateful for everything he has put up for anyone to see....

Jimmykorea

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 7:28 pm

VicHarris wrote:Since this is my first post here I'm sure I'll get blasted but holly crap JimmeyKorea, are you really doing the same crap here as you did on PV? Why do you have to argue with everyone all the time? That's why you were banned from PV. V gave you a lot of room to hang yourself and you still went on until we couldn't stand you anymore. Yes, this is an attack and if this is the way you act on every forum, you're going t be changing your screen name a lot. Dude chill out.

Hi mate, you came at just the right time, we were just discussing Sycophantic behaviour from posters. How's the wedding video business?

What you had on PV is everyone (particularly you) kissing that Russians butt, on BMC user you have a lot of people kissing a handful of butts who are also moderators. Ironically it's here on BM actual site where you don't seem to get quite so much butt kissing and freedom to voice disagreement. Probably cause the Mods aren't major posters of personal opinions which is the correct way for Moderators on forums to behave.
Last edited by Jimmykorea on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jimmykorea

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:From my own experience of blogging or putting your personal filmmaking / cinematography work in the lion's den, critical comments are hard to take online.

I lost a friend in Phil, thanks to Twitter and not having the same opinion. The problem with the internet is that opinions become a battlefield. There's no tone, facial expression, all you have to go off is the opinion. Sucks.

When someone disagrees with you over the internet it feels like an attack, so it escalates to become stinging and nasty on a personal level. There's politics too, bric-bats of running a blog in competition for the same audience. In the real world when I am in a pub and a friend sees it one way and I the other we argue it out with humorous putdowns and jokes then move on. Somehow it never seems to work like that on the internet.

I still have major differences of opinions with Philip and don't see things the same way on everything. Sometimes a like his work, almost always like his eye for composition, but I don't usually share the same perspective on commercial work, don't sometimes agree with his choice of tool, sometimes feel something he's put out there is lightweight, not outspoken or dangerous enough. But so what? Nobody is the same. Nobody is perfect. I'm certainly not perfect, although I certainly do less cat related self-promotion, posing and hipster stuff than Phil does!! :evil: Sadly these differences of opinion gets seen as an attack when 90% of the time I agree with Bloom and share common ground personality wise!

There's only two modes of communication on the internet it seems...

Sycophantic adulation.

Or...

Trolling.

No shades of grey!

I agree with your points. ironically I'm here looking like I was attacking Philip when a while back when he was being mauled after he posted early EF footage I was defending him. People do either have to attack or kiss butt it seems on forums.

All I was trying to say to Bloom was that he was kind of fighting a losing battle that he shouldn't bother attempting. Seems to me you got to have a sense of humor or thick skin if you choose to put yourself out there in public.

VicHarris

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah Jimmey, that's what happened. You were rude to everyone over and over again for no reason and your was the only opinion that mattered. It actually went on for much longer than any of us thought it would so for you to say some moderator kicked you off because you didn't agree with peoples opinion is just plain wrong man. You wouldn't listen to anyone even when they were being nice and you insulted people over and over again. It was just plain ignorant behavior by what I assume is a grown man. As soon as I sight up here and look at my first thread, BOOM, you're doing the same thing.

This Sycophantic behaviour you describe doesn't even make sense. You were rude to everyone else, not the moderator. That is just plain wrong as well. You might need meds dude, seriously.

Oh yeah, I love the crack about the wedding video. That's funny and seems like it's peoples uneducated knee jerk reaction when they actually have no idea what they are talking about. :)

1. Not a wedding video guy. Once again, your comment makes no sense.
2. Only times I've been to weddings, I've been way to drunk to focus a camera.
3. Maybe just a little research before you ramble off, might pay off, just saying :)
4. So where's your award wining stuff Jimmy?
5. I never had a problem with what you do for a living, whatever that is, just a problem with the way you feel you have to treat everyone online.

BM probably just doesn't give a **** because they are a successful company so what goes on these boards, besides problems with equipment is of little concern to them. So yeah, you'll get away with it here most likely but on forums where they have moderators making sure everyone is at least civil to one another, it's not going to fly.

John Waldorff

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 8:37 pm

He regularily makes very good posts.
But this one was weak. Plus it contained 3 product placements (when you count the actor) which is rather dull.

paul schefz

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Jimmykorea wrote:The guy has issues. Absolutely no one is allowed to critique his work. I highlighted this to him the other day and he just deleted my comment. Why the ego? He's a blogger...

he wants to come across as some really nice guy but he's as sensitive and prickly as my ex girlfriend. You can't put stuff on the internet and not expect some negative views.

so you have nothing better to do then making sure that your opinion about him gets heard wherever his name comes up?
this thread is about footage he posted...he is not even posting here afaik?
sorry that you can't get along with mr bloom but i am not sure this is the place to dwell on your online relationships.....completely pointless and annoying to people who would prefer to discuss cameras, footage,....

Andrew Reid

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 8:57 pm

The reason people have troubling discussing the footage and not Philip's character is because he puts his character to the forefront of everything he does online.
British filmmaker and editor of EOSHD

John Bartman

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Sometimes the pocket cam footage looks reasonable other times like it came from an iPhone
Dynamic range, well? it´s not shipping with raw
Can´t compare with the image quality of the BMCC, however small it might be
and lots of the original problems still there... no audio level indicator,
battery sucks big time... feels like a rush job to me
Brace yourselves for the 4k (whenever it arrives)

Last edited by John Bartman on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bhook

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 9:20 pm

VicHarris wrote:are you really doing the same crap here as you did on PV?

Excuse me but what is "PV"? Note to self: I really need to get out more.

1peter

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Well,
as I do not know that guy - besides from his videos - not really wanna judge his character.
Anyway. Read his blog:

I also learned to turn off the camera when not rolling as I only recorded 50 minutes of footage and used of 5 batteries.

Are you kidding?

Peter

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 10:13 pm

peteronn wrote:I also learned to turn off the camera when not rolling as I only recorded 50 minutes of
footage and used of 5 batteries.

They should have made the camera slightly bigger and used Canon LP-E6 batteries.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Aleksandar Bogdanov

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Check the photos of the batteries - 2-3 of them were 800 mah... only

Craig Seeman

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 12:11 am

Aleksandar Bogdanov wrote:Check the photos of the batteries - 2-3 of them were 800 mah... only

And I believe some are seeing 1800mAh on eBay so it will be interesting to see if they are reliably manufactured. That could increase battery life a bit.

Craig Seeman

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 12:12 am

For those following this it looks like Bloom just uploaded a revised edit of Hiding Place.

Ryan Jones

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 12:13 am

peteronn wrote:Well,
as I do not know that guy - besides from his videos - not really wanna judge his character.
Anyway. Read his blog:

I also learned to turn off the camera when not rolling as I only recorded 50 minutes of footage and used of 5 batteries.

Are you kidding?

Peter

He clearly spent a lot of time with the camera on and not shooting then - that would mean 10 minutes recording and 30-40 minutes composing shots per battery, for a couple of minutes of short film.

Hans Engstrom

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 12:41 am

LMACKREATH wrote:Phillip blooms footage from the bmpcc

Nicely shot.. Best footage I have seen... Still not blown away by the quality though..

I think JBs footage is far better take away the production value the London Eye added. This looks shaky as hell and the exposure seems to be way off for my liking atleast.
1st AC
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1357950/

David

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 1:17 am

Hans Engstrom wrote:
LMACKREATH wrote:Phillip blooms footage from the bmpcc

I think JBs footage is far better take away the production value the London Eye added. This looks shaky as hell and the exposure seems to be way off for my liking atleast.

It's clearly hand held but I don't find it jittery or "shaky as hell". There seems to be a backlash against anything hand held. I like a tripod myself but I think hand held can look really cool and to me this looked to be controlled nicely.
David Daniel
Dilettante

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 2:00 am

We're always obsessed about the steadiness of the moving image. I can't think of a single film I've seen at the cinema recently that I would consider to have a "steady image" throughout. The whole idea of shaky footage = not cinematic is a fallacy. Granted, camera shake in high budget cinematic production is mostly on purpose and (hopefully) controlled, it's camera shake nonetheless.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Chris Holt

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 2:30 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:We're always obsessed about the steadiness of the moving image. I can't think of a single film I've seen at the cinema recently that I would consider to have a "steady image" throughout. The whole idea of shaky footage = not cinematic is a fallacy. Granted, camera shake in high budget cinematic production is mostly on purpose and (hopefully) controlled, it's camera shake nonetheless.

I don't disagree with you, but sometimes there's good intentional shake and there's 10 thumbed moron shake. By the way, this was not dig at PB as I do not want to incur his wrath again. What with him insinuating that I have no life or whatever...

In Bloom's vid, it didn't bother me. To mention another example, most of Brawley's BMCC beach test didn't bother me either. You have to know where you are on the barrel (focal length) and know how much is acceptable for evoking a mood or the pace of the scene.

Chris Holt

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 2:33 am

mhood wrote:

www.personal-view.com

It originated as the Lumix hack site started by Vitaly Kiselev. It covers pretty much all camera info these days. Or a lot of it. I like the place, but it's not the place to piss off VK. He has a sense of humor, but...

Jimmykorea

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 2:45 am

VicHarris wrote:Yeah Jimmey, that's what happened. You were rude to everyone over and over again for no reason and your was the only opinion that mattered. It actually went on for much longer than any of us thought it would so for you to say some moderator kicked you off because you didn't agree with peoples opinion is just plain wrong man. You wouldn't listen to anyone even when they were being nice and you insulted people over and over again. It was just plain ignorant behavior by what I assume is a grown man. As soon as I sight up here and look at my first thread, BOOM, you're doing the same thing.

This Sycophantic behaviour you describe doesn't even make sense. You were rude to everyone else, not the moderator. That is just plain wrong as well. You might need meds dude, seriously.

Oh yeah, I love the crack about the wedding video. That's funny and seems like it's peoples uneducated knee jerk reaction when they actually have no idea what they are talking about. :)

1. Not a wedding video guy. Once again, your comment makes no sense.
2. Only times I've been to weddings, I've been way to drunk to focus a camera.
3. Maybe just a little research before you ramble off, might pay off, just saying :)
4. So where's your award wining stuff Jimmy?
5. I never had a problem with what you do for a living, whatever that is, just a problem with the way you feel you have to treat everyone online.

BM probably just doesn't give a **** because they are a successful company so what goes on these boards, besides problems with equipment is of little concern to them. So yeah, you'll get away with it here most likely but on forums where they have moderators making sure everyone is at least civil to one another, it's not going to fly.

I don't argue with wedding videographers, sorry...

Jimmykorea

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 2:51 am

rockroadpix wrote:
mhood wrote:

http://www.personal-view.com

It originated as the Lumix hack site started by Vitaly Kiselev. It covers pretty much all camera info these days. Or a lot of it. I like the place, but it's not the place to piss off VK. He has a sense of humor, but...

He's a supposed libertarian who likes I uncensored sites like Zerohedge until it threatens his forum and him making commissions on products. The irony is he's as rude as **** to people on that site himself, I guess he's built is own little forum where he can be a jerk, and some suck up to him and some don't want to....I don't blame him in the end but the suck ups ie (the wedding videographer) got a bit much for my stomachs to take in the end..

Jimmykorea

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 3:08 am

pss wrote:
Jimmykorea wrote:The guy has issues. Absolutely no one is allowed to critique his work. I highlighted this to him the other day and he just deleted my comment. Why the ego? He's a blogger...

so you have nothing better to do then making sure that your opinion about him gets heard wherever his name comes up?
sorry that you can't get along with mr bloom but i am not sure this is the place to dwell on your online relationships.....completely pointless and annoying to people who would prefer to discuss cameras, footage,....

I'm here to discuss cameras too which is why without any personal animosity toward Mr Bloom I would say he usually reviews stuff months after everyone else does, with no new information, smothers the footage with products he IS getting commission for (even the review was for CVP) including film convert and Magic Bullet and really gets irate when you highlight the weakness of his testing. I mean the products he's selling cover up the color science for one thing which is so great about the camera in the first place. This review is about his personality and profile as a blogger not cameras unfortunately...

In the end I don't care about his tests cause they never tell me anything new. Please correct me if I am wrong, IF you found out some fact that hasn't been talked about months ago by others?

Jimmykorea

pss wrote:

I'm here to discuss cameras too which is why without any personal animosity toward Mr Bloom I would say he usually reviews stuff months after everyone else does, with no new information, smothers the footage with products he IS getting commission for (even the review was for CVP) including film convert and Magic Bullet and really gets irate when you highlight the weakness of his testing. I mean the products he's selling cover up the color science for one thing which is so great about the camera in the first place. This review is about his personality and profile as a blogger not cameras unfortunately...

In the end I don't care about his tests cause they never tell me anything new. Please correct me if I am wrong, IF you found out some fact that hasn't been talked about months ago by others?

Malcolm Purnell

Ryan Jones wrote:
peteronn wrote:Well,
Anyway. Read his blog:

Are you kidding?

Peter

He clearly spent a lot of time with the camera on and not shooting then - that would mean 10 minutes recording and 30-40 minutes composing shots per battery, for a couple of minutes of short film.

Guys,
I thought this was supposed to be a chance for us to see some BMPCC footage not quarrel over some poor guy's character.

Jimmykorea

pss wrote:

Jimmykorea

pss wrote:

Jimmykorea

pss wrote:

Next

Return to Cinematography