Philip Bloom Blackmagic Pocket camera review

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James Hamid

Philip Bloom Blackmagic Pocket camera review

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Philip Bloom's review of the blackmagic pocket camera part one is out.
some very good review and pointers. you can watch it here

loved his review so far very balanced.
i wonder if he will address the Blooming sensor issue?

Rob Foulkes

Re: Philip Bloom Blackmagic Pocket camera review

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Yes, an excellent first look. I'm hoping the rocket scientists at Magic Lantern will be able to give it their overlays and whatnot. Also, a battery holder/grip would come in very handy too, plus a zacuto style loup. Phil's footage on the Eye was very nice - well done PB!

James Hamid

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 5:28 pm

I just realised something that Philip mentioned, the BMPCC does not indicate how long is left on the card to record. bummer.

Aleksandar Bogdanov

PostSun Aug 25, 2013 5:36 pm

hamid wrote:I just realised something that Philip mentioned, the BMPCC does not indicate how long is left on the card to record. bummer.

It is the same with BMCC, but I hope these features will be added once the three cameras are ready.

James Hamid

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 1:42 am

Aleksandar Bogdanov wrote:
hamid wrote:I just realised something that Philip mentioned, the BMPCC does not indicate how long is left on the card to record. bummer.

It is the same with BMCC, but I hope these features will be added once the three cameras are ready.

The BMCC is ready and ships for $1,995. I believe you are referring to the two (the BMPC and BMPCC)

Aleksandar Bogdanov

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 5:30 am

I suppose they have in mind all cameras to share the same firmware, so when the Production camera gets ready, they can concentrate on adding features to the firmware affecting all three cameras.
...Unless they don't push a MK2 on NAB 2014 lol :)

Jimmykorea

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 6:24 am

VERY VERY misleading review if this was ALL I knew about the camera. he suggests you need about 10 batteries and need extra equipment to offload media and compared a point and shoot favourably to it. Utter Utter rubbish. All his facts are known to the community months ago. Only for fans of Philip Blooms voice and haircut I'm afraid.

When reviewing the BM cameras he NEVER gets across the idea that their is NOTHING even remotely comparable on the market and both cameras could cut with RED or ARRI without too much jarring. Just silly. Time to let go of the DSLR bloggers and get some narrative filmakers into the conversation. It's taken years of dodgy codecs, stupid 35mm adapters and crippled cameras and some people don't recognise the revolution when it actually comes.

Bert Smit

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 am

Jimmykorea please assure us you will not watch part 2 and 3 of the review to be saved your opinions again......

Jimmykorea

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 7:09 am

Sorry does this mean I have to agree with a camera review? Grow up...

Jimmykorea

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 7:12 am

Bertuk wrote:Jimmykorea please assure us you will not watch part 2 and 3 of the review to be saved your opinions again......

Sorry I forgot my manners. Hi Phil how's it going?

Chris Whitten

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 7:37 am

If you don't like other people's review method, you should publish some reviews of your own.
Only way to do something properly is to do it yourself....right?
You've made your Bloom point in one locked thread already. I don't think you need to keep repeating it, spoiling other people discussing his review in more measured tones.
Chris Whitten

Jimmykorea

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 8:51 am

chrisso wrote:If you don't like other people's review method, you should publish some reviews of your own.
Only way to do something properly is to do it yourself....right?
You've made your Bloom point in one locked thread already. I don't think you need to keep repeating it, spoiling other people discussing his review in more measured tones.

If you and others didn't feel the need to keep telling me I don't have a right to my opinion I would simply post my opinion on it, which I already have done and that would be it. Accept I have a right to a negative opinion and we're done here...If you Keep directing responses to me then I will keep replying to you. see how it works now...a discussion.

James Hamid

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:06 am

I believe in the end of the review he does mention the black dot when pointing towards the sun, i stand to be corrected

Return to Cinematography