What do you intend to use you Pocket Cinema Camera for?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

cplkao

What do you intend to use you Pocket Cinema Camera for?

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi all,
I am just curious about what's everyone's use of the pocket camera will be (once we received it of course)?

Despite the shortcoming of the battery life, restrict on memory cards, I love the form factor and versatility of the pocket camera, being able to be small and conspicuous as well as able to be rigged and accessorised with battery pack, monitors and matte box, etc.

For the self shoot stuff, Pocket Cinema Camera will be my upgrade from HMC151 and hacked GH1, both had been serving well for the last few years as I had shot a lot of corporate, dance, theatre, documentary work on it, I feel I need an upgrade from AVCHD and will benefit from the prores/raw once it comes out. I also shot experimental stuff with multimedia artist so Pocket camera may come handy too.

For the more creative stuff, the camera will be used by a few DP I worked with for Music Videos and Short films, I got a Zeiss 12-120 T2.4 lens which covers s16 which I can't wait to try it on the pocket.
Chih Peng Lucas Kao
Director/Visual Storyteller
Edinburgh, UK

MagicAndMayhem

Re: What do you intend to use you Pocket Cinema Camera for?

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 6:45 pm

It will be my primary travel camera. Mostly used for sit down interviews with a little handheld sizzle reel footage collection. The size, weight and inconspicuous nature of this camera is a huge plus for heavy travel and grab and go shooting. All of my gear for a shooting trip fits in one small backpack. Currently I use a hacked GH2 so all my SD cards (95/mbs Sandisk Extreme Pro), lenses (Rokinon, Canon FD, Vintage C-mounts) and audio (DR-40 w/sennheiser wireless lavs), tripods, lighting and other accessories will work with it no problem. I'm looking forward to working with Prores instead of the GH2's AVCHD and when RAW comes, it will be even better.

All I needed to add is new batteries which I've order 6 - 1800mAh on ebay so I should be good to go anywhere at anytime.

Craig Seeman

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Being an urban dweller I need a camera that:
Allows me to carry all my gear and travel solo often on public transportation.
Need to shoot in locations being as inconspicuous as possible without permit.
Be able to shoot in typical small offices.
Be able to shoot hand held when needed (helped by OIS and removable batteries and maybe small support).
Having a camera which can be ultra small or a built out rig for more "grounded" shooting is a major plus.

I'd add that one key reason I'm not getting the BMCC is that with a built in battery with only about a 90 minute runtime would severely limit me. Once you're locked into an external batter you're no longer small.

Jimmykorea

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Amateur **** and my Grandmothers 80th birthday party.
Last edited by Tony Rivera on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need for those words/comments.

Jimmykorea

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:Being an urban dweller I need a camera that:
Be able to shoot hand held when needed (helped by OIS and removable batteries and maybe small support).
Having a camera which can be ultra small or a built out rig for more "grounded" shooting is a major plus.

I'd add that one key reason I'm not getting the BMCC is that with a built in battery with only about a 90 minute runtime would severely limit me. Once you're locked into an external batter you're no longer small.

Your a Stalker, right?

Ned Soltz

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Nah... Craig's not a stalker. Just reaching a point in life (like me) where we would rather not carry lots of gear.

My use will be on-the-run documentary work, interview camera (I plan to use it next NAB as my booth interview camera), shooting where I need to look like a tourist, and generally many of the applications for which I use my DSLR. It will be more a part of my complete arsenal which ranges from GoPro Hero 3 to Canon DSLR to Sony EX-1 to Sony F3.

Ned Soltz

Jimmykorea

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Ned Soltz wrote:Nah... Craig's not a stalker. Just reaching a point in life (like me) where we would rather not carry lots of gear.

My use will be on-the-run documentary work, interview camera (I plan to use it next NAB as my booth interview camera), shooting where I need to look like a tourist, and generally many of the applications for which I use my DSLR. It will be more a part of my complete arsenal which ranges from GoPro Hero 3 to Canon DSLR to Sony EX-1 to Sony F3.

Ned Soltz

I also plan to use mine to shoot Ned Soltz low profile looking like a tourist so he doesn't know.

Andrew Reid

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Jimmykorea - has there ever been a more negative forum user.

Off with his head
British filmmaker and editor of EOSHD

ChrisMV

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:Jimmykorea - has there ever been a more negative forum user.

Off with his head

+1

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Please use the forums appropriately if you have any issues you wish us to address in regards to other users.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

PaulDelVecchio

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 pm

BCam to my BMCC for film work and for situations where I need a small, portable camera and to go incognito.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Eli hershko

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:40 pm

PaulDelVecchio wrote:BCam to my BMCC for film work and for situations where I need a small, portable camera and to go incognito.

+1
Eli Hershko
http://www.conjuredvisions.com
http://pro.imdb.com/name/nm2860666/

Jimmykorea

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:45 pm

How does everyone feel if someone films them while out and about and they end up on someone's production. Seems like we are happy to do it, but most wouldn't want it done to us.

MagicAndMayhem

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Jimmykorea wrote:How does everyone feel if someone films them while out and about and they end up on someone's production. Seems like we are happy to do it, but most wouldn't want it done to us.

incognito not from our subjects but from the people who want to charge us for permits.

Ryan Jones

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Similar to OP, upgrade from AVCHD cams (HMC151 and NX5), and a learning tool to get used to raw workflow and colour grading.

Will be using it mainly as an interview camera, it has a very nice look to it that will be perfectly in line with what I'm after.

Also planning on it being somewhat of a gateway into a BMCC or 4k down the track.

Jace Ross

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Jimmykorea wrote:How does everyone feel if someone films them while out and about and they end up on someone's production. Seems like we are happy to do it, but most wouldn't want it done to us.

Not bothered, I am often requested to be in photos or people try to sneak photos of me. None of this concerns me.

On topic: I film body modification procedures, inline skating and stunts. I want to also move to short films and music videos.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Chris Whitten

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Upgrade from AVCHD.
Using Pocket Camera to film my own music tutorials, and product promotions.
Chris Whitten

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 12:19 am

"Similar to OP, upgrade from AVCHD cams (HMC151 and NX5), and a learning tool to get used to raw workflow and colour grading.
Will be using it mainly as an interview camera..."

Ditto, upgrading from AVCHD and having a 4.2.2 workflow. Doing mostly Doc. Interviews, and have a small cam rig with a " big" output.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

phillipambrose

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 6:48 am

Craig Seeman wrote:Being an urban dweller I need a camera that:

Hi i am the owner of the real estate firm and want to create a promotional video for my firm but don't have any idea which camera should be use to create the promotional video , please inform me if you have any idea , i show you my site at raleigh commercial real estate agent so that you get some idea of my place.

Stefan Longin

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 11:38 am

phillipambrose wrote:Hi i am the owner of the real estate firm and want to create a promotional video for my firm but don't have any idea which camera should be use to create the promotional video , please inform me if you have any idea , i show you my site at raleigh commercial real estate agent so that you get some idea of my place.

hire people with skills & experiance, pay a fee for so having an idea and knowing what to do. Do you think a filmmaker will be able to run your business from zero buy buying a computer and renting a nice office?
S. Long

Ryan Jones

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 11:48 am

Brooklyn wrote:I want one because it looks so darn cute next to the bigger Blackmagic cameras. Clients will pay for the cuteness, mark my words.

Haha maybe.

We were discussing this the other day. Do you think clients would take you seriously if you rocked up with a BMPCC?

To me, it's all about the image quality. A BMPCC and external audio recorder would be great for interviews - do clients still care about the look of the gear these days with so many people using DSLRs?

Charles Boileau

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Home movies ;)
Charles Boileau
Colorist
www.post-moderne.com
Montreal, Québec

MontgomerySutton

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Upgrade from my GH2, which will now be a b-cam to the pocket, and like many others to break free from AVCHD and get used to the RAW workflow and as a stepping stone up towards 4K (none of my projects or clients really need RAW, much less 4K or even 2.5K right now). Primary projects will be a mix of short narrative film, short documentary, and promotional/behind-the-scenes videos for a mix of corporate clients and arts organizations, but most excited to do a few pilot episodes of a fun and atypical online travel series for which the BMPCC is just perfect.
Montgomery Sutton
Producer, Cinematographer
montgomery@lupoblu.com

lupo blu, LLC (www.lupoblu.com)
Salt Pillar Productions (www.saltpillarproductions.com)

URSA Mini 4.6K | Red Scarlet Dragon | Canon C100 mkII | BMPCC (x2)

vitreous

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Live Music. I like the small size of the BMPCC.

James Trammell

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 7:44 pm

My wife wrote her first novel and it was published many years ago. It did quite well for a first time novel, and was reviewed very well. We tried shopping it around as a movie, and while we got some interest in it, we were told it was "too violent". Since then, so many more "violent" movies have come and gone! Besides, the violence in this book does not have to be graphic at all.

I've always wanted to get into video production. I am a computer programmer by trade, but need a hobby that is more creative. For years I have wanted to film the first chapter of the book, as an exercise in this "hobby" and as a tool to sell the screen play. I have had it story boarded for a long time.

When I saw all the fuss over the BMPC, it just reignited my desire to get going on this. This camera seemed perfect. Small size, but with big quality. I really wanted the film look but couldn't really afford it before this guy!

I just received my camera today, and I am very excited to say the least. Especially since I didn't even hear about this camera till early July, and ordered it on 8/12/13. Actually, I originally ordered it from B&H on 8/1/13. After realizing that I wouldn't probably see it till November, I got discouraged.

I decided to start checking ebay to see if any first receivers would be putting up their cameras for sale. I found a listing on 8/12 from International DSM Group (http://stores.ebay.com/internationaldsmgroup), and they were taking orders, offering 5. They were advertising a ship date of 8/22 which seemed to good to be true. I really worried that this "might" be a scam, but they have a good ebay rating so I bit the bullet.

So they missed the ship date by a couple of days, but here it is, 8/27 and it just arrived via FedEx!

After I ordered they called me and told me that they had ordered cameras on day 1 from Blackmagic, but that they didn't advertise or take any pre-orders from customer until they posted their ad on 8/12.

That add stayed there for several days, and then was taken down. They had only sold (according to ebay) 3 of the 5. Apparently they were flooded with calls on this.

I talked to them today. They only pre-ordered 5, and they are all sold. They only received 1 so far, and it is now on my desk. Kudos IDSMG for filling the order first come, first served, and no premium in the price either.

In a way I feel a bit guilty, cause I only discovered this camera less than a month ago, and now I have it. I guess persistence pays off sometimes! I should have lenses by the weekend.

I have it charging now. Fit/finish/feel is all excellent. I have a lot to learn, and will share anything I can. Just know that I am strictly an amateur, and it has been awhile at that!
Attachments
BMC.jpg
BMC.jpg (131.64 KiB) Viewed 4782 times

Return to Cinematography