Black Spot when lens is stopped down

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Taylor Camarot

Black Spot when lens is stopped down

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 10:58 pm

I have a brand new BMCC MFT camera, and when I took it out shooting with my sigma 18-35, whenever I stopped down a black dot near the center left of the image appeared. At first I thought it was the LCD monitor, but the footage had the dot burned in. Then I thought it was the lens, but when I switched to my zeiss 28mm it had the same dot in the same place. There is no debris on the sensor or front or rear glass elements of the lenses. What is the issue?!
Attachments
Taylors BMCC_1_2013-08-27_1522_C0001_000108.jpg
Taylors BMCC_1_2013-08-27_1522_C0001_000108.jpg (856.19 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
Taylor Camarot Cinematography
taylor-camarot-cinematography.com

Nikolay Smirnov

Re: Black Spot when lens is stopped down

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 11:08 pm

Taylor Camarot wrote:I have a brand new BMCC MFT camera, and when I took it out shooting with my sigma 18-35, whenever I stopped down a black dot near the center left of the image appeared. At first I thought it was the LCD monitor, but the footage had the dot burned in. Then I thought it was the lens, but when I switched to my zeiss 28mm it had the same dot in the same place. There is no debris on the sensor or front or rear glass elements of the lenses. What is the issue?!

looks like dust on the sensor, blow it off with a pear blower and check that out.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 11:38 pm

Try filming a white wall, defocussing as far as possible. Still see that spot? Then it's dust (or any other smuther) on your sensor.

Taylor Camarot

PostWed Aug 28, 2013 2:00 am

Mac Jaeger wrote:Try filming a white wall, defocussing as far as possible. Still see that spot? Then it's dust (or any other smuther) on your sensor.

I did and the spot is still there, however the sensor is completely spotless. Ive taken tons on non chemical dustoff spray and its still there. I have no idea what to do.
Taylor Camarot Cinematography
taylor-camarot-cinematography.com

Nikolay Smirnov

PostWed Aug 28, 2013 2:03 am

Taylor Camarot wrote:
Mac Jaeger wrote:Try filming a white wall, defocussing as far as possible. Still see that spot? Then it's dust (or any other smuther) on your sensor.

I did and the spot is still there, however the sensor is completely spotless. Ive taken tons on non chemical dustoff spray and its still there. I have no idea what to do.

unluckily you got a false sensor :(

Call BMD asap. if you're sure the dust is really there and you can't get it off.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Return to Cinematography