LUT for current footage

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

SLICKorski

LUT for current footage

PostThu Aug 29, 2013 5:33 pm

I have my BMPCC on pre-order (number 7 on the list) and as I wait for it to arrive I have been playing with my GH3. Does anyone have a LUT for current non-BM footage to get the same look as ungraded "film" setting on the BMCC or BMPCC? Played around in resolve but I could be there all day tweaking, if someone already has a file it would be helpful, thanks.

Christian Schmeer

Re: LUT for current footage

PostThu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 pm

If the footage wasn't recorded flat with high dynamic range, there's no way of getting this detail back into the files. You can go from footage that's in "film" colours to footage that's in "video" colours, but not the other way around.

This doesn't mean that the footage from the two cameras can't be matched though. A LUT on the BMPCC "film" footage may help to turn it into "video" colours. Then the footage from both cameras is in "video" colours and can be matched more easily.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

jakepowell

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 12:44 am

there is one here further down the page to convert dslr to log type flat image ...
by nature that wont be a perfect way of doing thing but it may get u what you want for approximations sakes ...

http://juanmelara.com.au/print-film-emu ... -download/

(i tried attatching it as a file but it wouldn't let me its on that page just have to look properly for it)

SLICKorski

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 12:51 am

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I will try out the LUT in the included link.

Christian, I actually will have to record some stuff with my GH3 (this weekend) before the Blackmagic arrives, so it is great to hear it will be easy to match the footage from the Pocket to the current stuff I will have. I was kind of worried that it would be glaringly obvious the differences between the cameras even though I was using the same lenses. That's a relief.

jakepowell

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 am

if your intending on intercutting the two you will always have to make the bmcc match the gh3 etc rather than the other way round if u get me? like make the bmcc more contrasty with less dr and more saturated colours in order for it to look like a gh3 thus kind of compromising its quality you will also have to light for the gh3 again negating its avantage somewhat. however im sure acceptable results can be made. I own a gh3 and like it and have shot on a bmcc on shoots and hope to own one soonish when i have sorted my editing system, but i haven't ever had to cut them together yet. but from use of the two this is just my 2c match the bmcc to the gh3 if u have too not the other way round. (by all means shoot as flat as poss and try and get that cinematic flavor out of gh3 as im a believer that it can be done and look nice, just dont get the look u want on the bmcc and then expect the gh3 to match it).

does that make sense?

SLICKorski

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 1:41 am

Makes total sense. Its much easier to match the BMPCC to the GH3 than the other way around. If I am shooting in "Film" mode and not getting the results that closely match the GH3 footage...I can always switch to "Video" mode on the BMPCC to get the "digital" look of the GH3.

jakepowell

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 12:58 pm

SLICKorski wrote:Makes total sense. Its much easier to match the BMPCC to the GH3 than the other way around. If I am shooting in "Film" mode and not getting the results that closely match the GH3 footage...I can always switch to "Video" mode on the BMPCC to get the "digital" look of the GH3.

i wouldn't use video mode i don't like it, in fact i like what the gh3 is capable of more than the video mode! instead i would just grade the film mode to match.

Return to Cinematography