Pocket Cinema Camera "Blooming Sensor" 2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Stefan Longin

Re: Pocket Cinema Camera "Blooming Sensor" 2

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:00 am

Lxd wrote:I would have expected to see it, especially on the Rotterdam Harbour clip.

you really don't see that? Esp the harbour clip has plenty of it..

S. Long

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:45 am

mhood wrote:
Dustin Keith wrote:
Frank Glencairn wrote:Am I the only one who finds it a bit strange, that folks who canceled their order or sold their camera are still on the BMC forums here and elsewhere?

Not sure whether this was directed at me (forgive me if it wasn't) but I am a proud owner of an EF BMCC and will purchase a Pocket Camera, orbs or not, early next year :D

Frank knows that I totally respect him but honestly, I'm not joining a clique here. I'm doing diligent research on an interesting camera...maybe cameras. I'm not an owner and I'm not pathetically wasting away on some preorder list either. I'm a potential customer. BMD has had my attention for quite a while now...the ball's been in their court for a long time. I am what I am here...no apologies.

Texans are excluded from this statement. :mrgreen:

No really, this wasn't directed at anybody personally (maybe we need a tounge-in-cheek smiley). It's just something I noticed on a lot of forums (if you think it's not civil here, read the German ones - they have a war going on over specs, wording, sensor patents and scientific white papers.). The guys that make the most noise there, have canceled or sold their camera - I just wonder why they don't call it a day and move on. Nothing wrong, with doing your research or voicing your opinions though, especially if you are a potential customer. It's just the attitude and tone that gets pretty ugly sometimes. I don't think that this really helps, to make the updates coming faster.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

adamroberts

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 9:00 am

Frank Glencairn wrote:It's just the attitude and tone that gets pretty ugly sometimes. I don't think that this really helps, to make the updates coming faster.

Totally agree. Sure it's frustrating that the camera has issues but getting all nasty on the forum ain't gonna fix it.

People should be add to the conversation in order to help solve the issues rather then just adding noise.

Lxd

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 9:06 am

slong wrote:
Lxd wrote:I would have expected to see it, especially on the Rotterdam Harbour clip.

you really don't see that? Esp the harbour clip has plenty of it..

I guess you are right. I'm just working through my issues:

Alex Davidson
Auckland, New Zealand

Stefan Longin

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 9:12 am

ha ha, nice drawing. I am trying to move from stage 4 to stage 5. OMM..
S. Long

Rinaldo Lima

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:32 am

Ok, the 4K update statement came out, mentioning sensor issues that will be fixed by software calibration. How 'soon' now we are getting the Pocket statement? Hopefully a software calibration will be the case too.

Jace Ross

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:42 am

Rinaldo Lima wrote:Ok, the 4K update statement came out, mentioning sensor issues that will be fixed by software calibration. How 'soon' now we are getting the Pocket statement? Hopefully a software calibration will be the case too.

What? There's no issue with the sensors on the 4K, they aren't exactly the same as their pre-production sample so they need to make software alterations to get the image calibrated right.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Rinaldo Lima

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 am

Jace Ross wrote:
Rinaldo Lima wrote:Ok, the 4K update statement came out, mentioning sensor issues that will be fixed by software calibration. How 'soon' now we are getting the Pocket statement? Hopefully a software calibration will be the case too.

What? There's no issue with the sensors on the 4K, they aren't exactly the same as their pre-production sample so they need to make software alterations to get the image calibrated right.

I meant issues not as problems, but 'things related to'... sorry, not my native language...
But this is a bit intriguing at all: "(...) we saw some big differences in the images between these production sensors vs the pre production samples we originally received." Hope this means improvements... only.

Jace Ross

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 am

Rinaldo Lima wrote:
Jace Ross wrote:

I meant issues not as problems, but 'things related to'... sorry, not my native language...
But this is a bit intriguing at all: "(...) we saw some big differences in the images between these production sensors vs the pre production samples we originally received." Hope this means improvements... only.

My apologies, friend.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 am

Well, if the 4k sensors behave differently than the pre-production samples, maybe it's the same with the pocket CC sensors? We know they are not exactly the same as the established sensor in the 2k5 model, and that they are from another manufacturer. Could it be that the pre-production sensors didn't show the white-orbs-problem?

Eli hershko

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:57 am

Mac Jaeger wrote:Well, if the 4k sensors behave differently than the pre-production samples, maybe it's the same with the pocket CC sensors? We know they are not exactly the same as the established sensor in the 2k5 model, and that they are from another manufacturer. Could it be that the pre-production sensors didn't show the white-orbs-problem?

I truly believe that.
can we have our statement PLEASE?
for anyone who read the 4k udate thread... talk about pressure folks put on BMD over there... wow they were really fed up with silence strategy... and guess what. they got their statement.
Eli Hershko
http://www.conjuredvisions.com
http://pro.imdb.com/name/nm2860666/
Previous

Return to Cinematography