Pocket Cinema Camera "Blooming Sensor" 2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: Pocket Cinema Camera "Blooming Sensor" 2

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Denny wrote:...
The Leica DG 45mm shots looked very nice, I got overexposed "glare" highlights, but they looked "normal shape, just clipped, not larger than they should,have been. I will try to post sample up later today.

This would explain why some shots have issue and others do not, if lens is a factor in the cause. I do not have other Lumix or Olympus lenses, just the two Panny Leica's. but will also ck out a Ziess ZF 25mm tonight.

Denny, that is very interesting. I watched a video on the BMCuser forum that sounds like your video. I looked hard for blooming on the night scenes with street lamps and car headlights and could not be certain I found any blooming at all! It was exposed at ISO 1600 if that was a factor. The general look was quite dark but viewable (as night scenes could be expected to be) so it wasn't trying to shoot night-for-day as you sometimes see. After seeing that video, it seems that blooming isn't happening consistently when you might expect it. Perhaps your suggestion that it is affected by lenses has merit but I don't understand why that would happen.

Maybe we need a thread about lenses (and focal lengths and apertures) that are associated with blooming?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Stefan Longin

Re: Pocket Cinema Camera

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 6:44 pm

rick.lang wrote:Denny, that is very interesting. I watched a video on the BMCuser forum that sounds like your video. I looked hard for blooming on the night scenes with street lamps and car headlights and could not be certain I found any blooming at all! It was exposed at ISO 1600 if that was a factor. The general look was quite dark but viewable (as night scenes could be expected to be) so it wasn't trying to shoot night-for-day as you sometimes see. After seeing that video, it seems that blooming isn't happening consistently when you might expect it. Perhaps your suggestion that it is affected by lenses has merit but I don't understand why that would happen.

don't clutch at straws that orbs are less with ISO 1600 and a Leica lens.
Fact is a big issue and no reply from BMD which leeds towards just
an idea that they could solve this issue promptly.
S. Long

raadgie

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Tim Joy wrote:I've had it since last week and already put it on a heli-cam. :)

Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 9.05.02 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 9.05.02 PM.jpg (89.02 KiB) Viewed 11206 times
Karl von Bahnhof
CEO
Chicken shots production

Tim Joy

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Am I wrong or do these orbs not show up on the screen at the time of shooting?

Tim Joy

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 7:19 pm

Nope, I'm wrong. They do show up.
I think I missed smaller ones before because the zebras were disguising them.

raadgie

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Tim Joy wrote:Nope, I'm wrong. They do show up.
I think I missed smaller ones before because the zebras were disguising them.

What was the setting of zebras?

EDIT:

I mean is there a choice of threshold? (Understand it will - maybe - my 1st BMD camera.)
Karl von Bahnhof
CEO
Chicken shots production

Tim Joy

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 7:35 pm

I have them set on 100%

Eli hershko

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 7:39 pm

I set mine on 95% and 90% at times.
no avail.
orbs orbs orbs.
and still no word from BMD.
What a DISAPPOINTMENT!
this lens that lens, this iso that iso... nothing. NADA!
this sensor has an issue.
T minus 24 days and counting...
Eli Hershko
http://www.conjuredvisions.com
http://pro.imdb.com/name/nm2860666/

raadgie

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Karl von Bahnhof
CEO
Chicken shots production

Eli hershko

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:06 pm

jumped into ebay out of curiosity and it looks like people are dumping cameras there... counted 5 so far...
Eli Hershko

Eli hershko

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:19 pm

now it's 7 cameras.
Eli Hershko

Dustin Svehlak

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 pm

pixhershko wrote:jumped into ebay out of curiosity and it looks like people are dumping cameras there... counted 5 so far...

pixhershko wrote:now it's 7 cameras.

Do you honestly believe posting superfluous information such as this helps or influences BMD's engineering decisions in any way? I know it must be frustrating as we all were stoked for this camera, but if I was in the same boat as you I would return the camera to the reseller, get my money back, and then wait until I heard the issue was fixed.

And it's not like this is crazy advice- it's exactly what BMD allegedly recommended according to another poster in this thread.
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

Vince Gaffney

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Dustin Keith wrote:
pixhershko wrote:jumped into ebay out of curiosity and it looks like people are dumping cameras there... counted 5 so far...

Do you honestly believe posting superfluous information such as this helps or influences BMD's engineering decisions in any way? I know it must be frustrating as we all were stoked for this camera, but if I was in the same boat as you I would return the camera to the reseller, get my money back, and then wait until I heard the issue was fixed.

And it's not like this is crazy advice- it's exactly what BMD allegedly recommended according to another poster in this thread.

+1

Stefan Longin

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Dustin Keith wrote:

Do you honestly believe postings like these will keep frustrated people calm? I am interested in what's happening. And people start selling PCC on ebay is something that's obviously happening.
S. Long

raadgie

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:50 pm

This is more exciting than playing the lottery.

1. Either the camera will emit strange sounds

2. Or it will blooming

3. Or you will lucky as this guy with hot pixels
Karl von Bahnhof
CEO
Chicken shots production

Eli hershko

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:51 pm

I am doing that exactly.Even confirmed with B and H about return shipping info not to run into their holiday schedule. I am just beside myself with frustration as you can see. I am an EF owner having to deal with their lack of firmware upgrade and on top of that, their crazy run to market with this joke of a so called half baked not true to advertising pocket camera. I waited for this camera 5 months and geared up for it in the form of $2000 worth of a kit of lenses, batteries and SD cards that I will have to unload at ebay for a loss!
all I am asking is to know that they will fix it...
Coming from the military never have I seen such radio silence! One might think they are guarding the worlds biggest secret here...

whatever. I am a loser. I let myself into this one. live and learn.
Eli Hershko

Eli hershko

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:54 pm

oh, BMD engineering you say?
Now that is a joke.
Eli Hershko

Dustin Svehlak

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:55 pm

slong wrote:Do you honestly believe postings like these will keep frustrated people calm? I am interested in what's happening. And people start selling PCC on ebay is something that's obviously happening.

People are selling them on eBay because there are folks willing to pay a premium for something in such short supply. This happens with every major product launch, issue or not.

I am only trying to help here- if you're unhappy with a product, repeatedly posting to a forum isn't going to change anything. But removing the product from your possession resolves the issue- you're no longer out $1k and you don't have to worry whether the problem will be fixed. I apologize if I come off bullish here, but I've tried to compensate for gear that didn't meet my expectations too many times and wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

We all have different expectations when it comes to companies and technologies, I understand that. At some point though, we have to make the best decisions for ourselves. If yours is to keep on posting in this thread hoping Kristian Lam or any of the other BMD engineers will finally cave and show you behind the curtain, so be it. Last Fall and Winter, I watched folks on this forum beg and plead, threaten to cancel orders, etc regarding the delays with the BMCC for several months and BMD never blinked. I don't see why they would change their tune now. They'll speak when ready and that's that.

pixhershko wrote:I am doing that exactly.Even confirmed with B and H about return shipping info not to run into their holiday schedule. I am just beside myself with frustration as you can see. I am an EF owner having to deal with their lack of firmware upgrade and on top of that, their crazy run to market with this joke of a so called half baked not true to advertising pocket camera. I waited for this camera 5 months and geared up for it in the form of $2000 worth of a kit of lenses, batteries and SD cards that I will have to unload at ebay for a loss!
all I am asking is to know that they will fix it...
Coming from the military never have I seen such radio silence! One might think they are guarding the worlds biggest secret here...

whatever. I am a loser. I let myself into this one. live and learn.

It is a bummer, man. Hopefully another option will open for you.
www.voltaicvideo.com

raadgie

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:57 pm

pixhershko wrote:oh, BMD engineering you say?
Now that is a joke.
Attachments
24372777.jpg
24372777.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 11003 times
Karl von Bahnhof
CEO
Chicken shots production

Eli hershko

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Raadgie,

that was funny :lol:
Eli Hershko

Eli hershko

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Dustin,

I am taking your advise to heart. Thank you.
It is what it is and that is that.
peace.
Eli Hershko

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Am I the only one who finds it a bit strange, that folks who canceled their order or sold their camera are still on the BMC forums here and elsewhere?
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Stefan Longin

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Dustin Keith wrote:
I am only trying to help here- if you're unhappy with a product, repeatedly posting to a forum isn't going to change anything. But removing the product from your possession resolves the issue- you're no longer out $1k and you don't have to worry whether the problem will be fixed. I apologize if I come off bullish here, but I've tried to compensate for gear that didn't meet my expectations too many times and wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

We all have different expectations when it comes to companies and technologies, I understand that. At some point though, we have to make the best decisions for ourselves. If yours is to keep on posting in this thread hoping Kristian Lam or any of the other BMD engineers will finally cave and show you behind the curtain, so be it. Last Fall and Winter, I watched folks on this forum beg and plead, threaten to cancel orders, etc regarding the delays with the BMCC for several months and BMD never blinked. I don't see why they would change their tune now. They'll speak when ready and that's that.

Yes I am unhappy with the product and I am trying to find out what is best: keeping the camera and hoping for a fix or sending it back. For sending back there is not too much time anymore, we don't have a guaranteed 30days returning here. I already started discussing with the dealer whether blooming issue is a fault which justifies revoke. So silence from BMD isnt helpful and as long as they don't discuss with me I feel free to discuss with you guys here.

Regarding BMD's camera history with delay and several issues it might indeed best to return the camera and do not hope for soon reaction or even a fix. I'd like that they speak but I'd like better that they ship when ready.
instead of "we are looking into it" a simple statement "we apologize and we will to fix it in any case, dont send the camera back at the moment" would bring back faith and ensure some peace and quiet.
Last edited by Stefan Longin on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S. Long

Dustin Svehlak

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 9:26 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Am I the only one who finds it a bit strange, that folks who canceled their order or sold their camera are still on the BMC forums here and elsewhere?

Not sure whether this was directed at me (forgive me if it wasn't) but I am a proud owner of an EF BMCC and will purchase a Pocket Camera, orbs or not, early next year :D
www.voltaicvideo.com

Christoffer Glans

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Am I the only one who finds it a bit strange, that folks who canceled their order or sold their camera are still on the BMC forums here and elsewhere?

Maybe because they use resolve or other tech, right? So they are still here. And because BM is totally silent about both issues and releases, people have to rely on what other experienced.
After reviewing I have decided to not get the pocket camera. Still waiting for the vaporware 4K camera but I suspect it will have a basket of errors too.

bhook

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Dustin Keith wrote:

Not sure whether this was directed at me (forgive me if it wasn't) but I am a proud owner of an EF BMCC and will purchase a Pocket Camera, orbs or not, early next year :D

Frank knows that I totally respect him but honestly, I'm not joining a clique here. I'm doing diligent research on an interesting camera...maybe cameras. I'm not an owner and I'm not pathetically wasting away on some preorder list either. I'm a potential customer. BMD has had my attention for quite a while now...the ball's been in their court for a long time. I am what I am here...no apologies.

Richard Squires

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 10:01 pm

Got a private message from Tony asking if I could use my real name on the forums. So here it is. Now about that camera I pre-ordered months ago, which still hasn't materialized. Can we please get some "real" information about this issue and whether I need to cancel my pre-order. If I don't hear by the end of the week, you lost another customer.
Richard Squires
Broadcast Designer/Director
Melbourne Australia

Eli hershko

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 10:06 pm

shhhh... you are interfering with BMD engineering's work. they need to be focused :lol:
Eli Hershko

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Now I am annoyed.

Folks, could you please keep the nonsense postings to the "4k one week away" thread? It's funny there, just because there's nothing else to talk about and so the thread picked up it's own topic "funny images to blow off steam". But this thread, though there's nothing _new_ to talk about as well, has an other topic, a real issue with an existing (and shipping) camera.

Yes, there is an orb issue - i think we have prove enough now.

No, there is no news from BM about said issue - and how ever polite or rude we keep asking for new info surely won't speed BMs internal processes at the least.

I came to this forum to read about the cameras, their tech, their good and bad features, and the occasional open word from BM. Yet I look into these threads every so often only to find the immature ramblings of wannabe-commedians. Can we please try to use the forum for what it was intended for? For what we all agreed to when we signed up?

[edit]
Just to make it clear: i'm not referring to the postings right above this one.

Chris Whitten

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 10:16 pm

I don't think any of the complete guess work (it's definitely the sensor right?) or the repeated sarcasm directed at BMD for not having made a definitive statement yet is helping anyone.
BMD are a small company. It makes me laugh that people expect them to fix issues and communicate a solution in the same way Apple has.
Now they are being criticised for rushing a flawed camera to market, when a month ago this forum was awash with sarcasm and vitriol about how slow BMD were progressing with the 'pocket'.
The solution is in your own hands. Cancel your pre-order, or if you have received your camera and are unhappy with it, send it back for a refund!
The world isn't going to end because you aren't shooting with a Blackmagic pocket in September. :o
Maybe you'll be shooting with a 'pocket' in 2014, with all the bugs ironed out. Who knows.
Chris Whitten

Stefan Longin

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:For what we all agreed to when we signed up?.

Mac,
I signed up and paid for a camera that's not working properly.
In addition that I am waiting now for one week for an answer beyond
"we are looking into it" I have a different point of view what is nonsense
or not.

If you are not concerned because you don't own a camera or have
no pre-order or don't consider this serious: congrats! But I won't bite
my lip until I have a serious solution for this issue.
S. Long

Stefan Longin

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 10:25 pm

chrisso wrote:BMD are a small company. It makes me laugh that people expect them to fix issues and communicate a solution in the same way Apple has.

Good communication is not a question of big or small.
Producing a properly working product neither.
S. Long

Margus Voll

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Spot on Frank!

I find the cams we are getting insanely good for the price that makes me cry for its cheapness.

Ok there may be something going on but it will be figured out.
Just takes some time. Waiting cost you nothing mostly.

I just graded my 2,5 k material today and it is just fantastic.
I did not moan for the long wait and it payed off.

If you like to moan then you really do not see what you have on your hands even if it needs some
love before all problems are ironed out.

Cheaper the cams get more moaning we hear.

Keep it calm!
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

raadgie

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 10:32 pm

No problem guys, just give us your schedule when you will read this forum and we will arrange. ;)

I agree to move this topic to OFF-TOPIC.

We all are victims of technology and those of us who have ordered and paid the pocket miracle also victims of advertising.

It's not a p****d off?
Karl von Bahnhof
CEO
Chicken shots production

Philip_Lipetz

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 pm

How about those of us that have them in hand? What do we do in the absence of any direction from BM?

Chris Whitten

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 11:31 pm

slong wrote:Good communication is not a question of big or small.
Producing a properly working product neither.

Of course it is!
Apple have the hundreds of tech staff and millions of dollars to throw at an unsuspected problem.
Only an idiot would claim BMD intentionally released a camera with a flawed sensor. they released the product when they thought it was ready. Now there may or may not be an issue with the chosen sensor. We don't know for sure- some are guessing it's firmware, others it might be lens choice.
They have communicated they are dealing with the issue.
No one can magic a solution. So if they don't have the finances to fix the issue swiftly at any cost, don't have the multitude of qualified technicians to work through the possibilities in a week, and don't have the purchasing power to demand the sensor supplier fix the sensor in one week, no amount of ultimata, and comparisons to Apple are going to change anything.
Chris Whitten

Chris Whitten

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 11:32 pm

rohela wrote:How about those of us that have them in hand? What do we do in the absence of any direction from BM?

If you are unhappy with your purchase - return it.
Chris Whitten

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 11:40 pm

slong wrote:
Mac Jaeger wrote:For what we all agreed to when we signed up?.

Mac,
I signed up and paid for a camera that's not working properly.
In addition that I am waiting now for one week for an answer beyond
"we are looking into it" I have a different point of view what is nonsense
or not.

If you are not concerned because you don't own a camera or have
no pre-order or don't consider this serious: congrats! But I won't bite
my lip until I have a serious solution for this issue.

You surely don't have to bite your lip, as long as your postings contribute to the threads topic. It's nonsense like the following, very recent posting, that we really could do without:

raadgie wrote:No problem guys, just give us your schedule when you will read this forum and we will arrange. ;)

I agree to move this topic to OFF-TOPIC.

Usually I'm the "don't feed the troll" kind of forum user, the one who silently skips the off topic postings that only want to provoke and bring their creators attention. Just look at the left side of a posting: name like a street tag, couple of warnings - usually nothing usefull to say. But in here there are too many nice people who still bite and give the trolls an audience.

You, S. Long, came here to express your opinion about your camera and look for updates on the situation. I came here to hear your opinion, and others', and look for updates on the situation as well. I don't own the camera yet, and probably won't for a long time, as i only preordered after NAB was over. So maybe i'm not as much concerned as you are, yet still i have a very legit interest in what you and other customers think about the device, about its issues, about its future, and about what the manufacturer has to say about it. And i think _we both_ want to see a civilized, constructive conversation.

I even believe that the only way to be taken seriously is to behave like grown ups. Why should BM respect any of our concerns if we don't even respect the rules of conversation?

Oh my, and of course i know who and what will hit me next...

Philip_Lipetz

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 pm

chrisso wrote:
rohela wrote:How about those of us that have them in hand? What do we do in the absence of any direction from BM?

not everyone takes returns.

Chris Whitten

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 11:49 pm

rohela wrote:
chrisso wrote:

not everyone takes returns.

Nonsense.
If the product is faulty (blooming sensor) you have a consumer right to return it.
Do you have ANY evidence that ANY retailer is refusing to accept a returned BMPCC?
Chris Whitten

josephrose

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 11:49 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:Why should BM respect any of our concerns if we don't even respect the rules of conversation?

Because they don't accept respect as a form of currency in exchange for cameras.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi guys,

Please calm down.

1 update was posted by Tony Rivera 2 days after the first posting to let you know we are looking into it.

I posted another update 4 days ago to say we're still working on it but you will get a response soon.

Thanks

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 12:49 am

Once again, this thread has gone off topic. Please maintain a civil discussion and keep it on topic, or it will be locked.

Terry

Rinaldo Lima

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 am

Just give us the good news!

Michel Rabe

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 2:04 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi guys,

Please calm down.

1 update was posted by Tony Rivera 2 days after the first posting to let you know we are looking into it.

I posted another update 4 days ago to say we're still working on it but you will get a response soon.

Thanks

As you might have noticed, 'we are looking into it' are not updates to calm people down ;)

I'm ok with the situation but don't let people who already bought the camera in the dark too long if you can.

Stefan Longin

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:15 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi guys,

Please calm down.

Thanks

hmm. In which way was there an update? I just read "we are looking into it" several times.

Hell is repetition - repetition is hell.
S. Long

Lee Mackreath

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:26 am

We wouldn't need to get annoyed or frustrated if you actually communicated with us!!

You still have not "acknowledged" that there is a problem in regards to the blooming sensor...

You have not stated if production has been halted until this issue has been resolved

Most importantly you have yet to explain where the hell are the the cameras?...shipping July????it is now getting on to mid September and there are probably 2 dozen BMPCC's out there...that is ridiculous...absolutely ridiculous..

Why don't any...and I mean ANY of the resellers have a clue when they expect to receive shipments of the cameras?...why are they in the dark?..why don't they know?

I cannot imagine the frustration these resellers are suffering getting constant emails and phone calls about availability,...because you have told us to go to our suppliers for more info......THEY DON'T HAVE ANY INFO!

Its obvious you all read these comments...which then tells me you have been told to keep your mouths shut about the issues mentioned above...but its not professional and you are losing customers by the second by adopting this approach..

Lxd

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:44 am

Some new videos posted:

Some exposure issues (first times out with camera I think) but I'm not really seeing blooming.

I would have expected to see it, especially on the Rotterdam Harbour clip.
Alex Davidson
Auckland, New Zealand

Aleksandar Bogdanov

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:53 am

Lxd wrote:
I would have expected to see it, especially on the Rotterdam Harbour clip.

I'm seeing them everywhere -

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 10.49.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 10.49.47 AM.png (532.33 KiB) Viewed 10129 times

Chris Whitten

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 7:57 am

Lots of very nice footage. :)
Chris Whitten
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography