BMCC on Steadicam

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Claudio Rufa

BMCC on Steadicam

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 9:38 am

Here are two videos I've done with BMCC on Steadicam:

and a long shot test:

The only problem is to find a proper cine zoom lens, at the moment I use Sigma 10-20 f3.5.
Optimo and Zeiss Lightweight zoom are too long at the minimal focal, we need 10 mm or 8 mm at the minimal focal. At the moment there aren't zoom cine lens for that.
Look forward to the future...
Claudio Rufa
Italy

Nikolay Smirnov

Re: BMCC on Steadicam

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 10:05 am

nikemerlino wrote:Here are two videos I've done with BMCC on Steadicam:

and a long shot test:

The only problem is to find a proper cine zoom lens, at the moment I use Sigma 10-20 f3.5.
Optimo and Zeiss Lightweight zoom are too long at the minimal focal, we need 10 mm or 8 mm at the minimal focal. At the moment there aren't zoom cine lens for that.

Very smooth, nice work.

Using Cine versions of Samyang 8mm T3.1 or 14mm T3.1 gives you pretty wide. Worth a shot.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Claudio Rufa

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 10:30 am

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:
nikemerlino wrote:Here are two videos I've done with BMCC on Steadicam:

and a long shot test:

Very smooth, nice work.

Using Cine versions of Samyang 8mm T3.1 or 14mm T3.1 gives you pretty wide. Worth a shot.

Thanks.
Yes but Steadicam needs zoom lens in real world. Changing lens means losing a lot of time to stabilize.
Claudio Rufa
Italy

Anthony Graham

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Steadicam doesn't require a zoom lens in a real world!

Unless maybe you are using a basic hand held type steadicam. I can rebalance my steadicam in around 10-20 seconds after a lens change, even with a huge difference in lenses weights.

Ant
www.ant-cam.co.uk

Claudio Rufa

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Anthony Graham wrote:Steadicam doesn't require a zoom lens in a real world!

Unless maybe you are using a basic hand held type steadicam. I can rebalance my steadicam in around 10-20 seconds after a lens change, even with a huge difference in lenses weights.

Ant

Bravo !
Can you show me some of your shots please?
Monday in the evening I will work on a very long shot, 26 minutes. It will be the IV act of italian opera (Puccini Boheme). This work will be for an important television event. I think it will be difficult to do a 26 minute long shot with a basic hand held type Steadicam as you write with a BMCC camera on.....
This long shot requires a lot of tilts,booms ecc. For this reason I have spent more than an hour to find the best solution between the masses of my steadicam. If you need only 10 or 20 seconds you are very lucky!
Claudio Rufa
Italy

ScottyBaker

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 5:34 pm

nikemerlino wrote:
Anthony Graham wrote:Steadicam doesn't require a zoom lens in a real world!

Ant

Bravo !
Can you show me some of your shots please?
Monday in the evening I will work on a very long shot, 26 minutes. It will be the IV act of italian opera (Puccini Boheme). This work will be for an important television event. I think it will be difficult to do a 26 minute long shot with a basic hand held type Steadicam as you write with a BMCC camera on.....
This long shot requires a lot of tilts,booms ecc. For this reason I have spent more than an hour to find the best solution between the masses of my steadicam. If you need only 10 or 20 seconds you are very lucky!

Your video looks good.
What steadicam are you using?
It really shouldn't take that long to re-balance after switching lenses.
I operate a Master Series rig, and like Ant said, it only takes a few moments to re-balance.
Steadicam Owner Operator
4scottbaker@gmail.com
www.VeganCannibals.com
www.5thPassenger.com

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 11:06 pm

[quote="nikemerlino"]...
Monday in the evening I will work on a very long shot, 26 minutes. It will be the IV act of italian opera (Puccini Boheme). This work will be for an important television event.../quote]

A live event continuous shot? So changing lenses is not an option. Bravo to you!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography