Best all-around lens on this list?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

josephrose

Best all-around lens on this list?

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 am

As I've done some reading and digging, these are lenses that ended up on my wishlist one way or another. At the end of the day I'd like to choose one relatively "all-around" lens. Music videos and short films are my primary interest.

• Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH/MEGA O.I.S.
• Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens (would need Speedbooster)
• Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 Manual Focus Lens
• Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton Manual Focus Lens
• SLR Magic 25mm T0.95 Hyperprime Cine Lens
• Panasonic Lumix G H-H020AK 20mm F/1.7 II ASPH Lens
• Panasonic H-HS12035 LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH X Series Lens

Randy Walters

Re: Best all-around lens on this list?

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 12:29 am

A reasonable question, but there is no single all-around lens, period.

Think of at least one wide, one "normal" (50mm equivalent), one short- to medium tele.

And that's still as impossible a reduction as looking for just one. If I absolutely had to choose just one, it wouldn't be a zoom... it would be a fast prime that worked out being roughly a 50mm or slightly longer equivalent on the specific camera I was getting it for.

Others would say the same thing, only 35mm or slightly shorter.

Others would damn the torpedoes, and get a zoom, even if it wasn't very fast.

If it's a matter of funds, start with something good in the middle, and then add the short and long. Save money by shopping on eBay, but get quality. And don't think that you can ever get by with just one.

One last thought, and just my opinion: it's infinitely better to get up and walk all over the place, than sit still and zoom. Don't. Just don't.

P.S. - to answer your question, instead of dancing around it? One of the f/.95 primes, depending on your camera. Probably one of the two Voightlanders... 17.5mm for the Pocket, 25mm for the BMCC. Just my personal choice. I am planning on getting the 17.5mm Voigtlander as my dream lens for the Pocket. Difficult to match for my BMCC EF... perhaps the Zeiss 25mm f/2.0.

I'll say it again - Prime and move around, vs. static and zoom. Always.
Last edited by Randy Walters on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

josephrose

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 12:32 am

It's not that I'll ever have just one, but there has to be a first one. So that's what this list is for.

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 4:50 am

josephrose wrote:It's not that I'll ever have just one, but there has to be a first one. So that's what this list is for.

For which camera? It looks like it is for the BMPCC. If so, it depends on your taste and I you like slightly wide, normal or slightly long for your music videos and short films. I prefer to be on the long side but what view do you like?

Wider, SLR Magic 12mm T1.6
Normal, either Panasonic 17mm f1.7 or Voitländer 17.5 f/0.95
Longer, SLR Magic 25mm T0.95
Near telephoto, SLR Magic 35mm T0.95 or Sigma 35mm f/1.4

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

thegregferris

PostSat Aug 31, 2013 5:30 am

In terms of Active lenses for the BMPCC I can recommend the M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8. Reasonably fast on the AF and a nice optics. Picked up at a 20% off Olympus sale last weekend for $430...

Some stills from the BMPCC

FrankApollonio

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Selling this Russian Cinema Lens
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281159767313?ss ... 1555.l2649

josephrose

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:34 pm

I guess I should mention, for now this lens will be going on a GH3 until BMD sorts out the issues and availability of the Pocket Camera.

timhashko

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 2:59 am

Joseph,

It sounds like you are in the same shoes I was a few months ago. I went with Panasonic 12-35mm, and it is now permanently attached to my GH3, and I love it. This lens has received much praise since its release. Its field of view is equivalent to 24-70mm in full frame terms, which is a good range to be able to cover. I considered primes, but didn't want to be limited to a fixed focal length. If you have a grand to spare, go with that one. (DigitalRev has the lowest price on it).

It also looks like this lens has been proven to work just fine with the BMPCC (which I'm patiently in line for since April 9). If you haven't seen the latest Philip Bloom's video that he shot in Venice, check it out. Looks gorgeous. 12-35mm was one of the lenses he used.

Hope this helps.

Tim

focuspulling

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 5:12 pm

timhashko wrote:Joseph,

It sounds like you are in the same shoes I was a few months ago. I went with Panasonic 12-35mm, and it is now permanently attached to my GH3, and I love it. This lens has received much praise since its release. Its field of view is equivalent to 24-70mm in full frame terms, which is a good range to be able to cover. I considered primes, but didn't want to be limited to a fixed focal length. If you have a grand to spare, go with that one. (DigitalRev has the lowest price on it).

It also looks like this lens has been proven to work just fine with the BMPCC (which I'm patiently in line for since April 9). If you haven't seen the latest Philip Bloom's video that he shot in Venice, check it out. Looks gorgeous. 12-35mm was one of the lenses he used.

Hope this helps.

Tim
Make sure you have firmware version 1.2 of the lens. You do this by mounting it on a Panasonic body like the GH3 and going into the settings. Version 1.2 dramatically improves auto-focus and stabilization compatibility with the BMPC.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

timhashko

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Make sure you have firmware version 1.2 of the lens. You do this by mounting it on a Panasonic body like the GH3 and going into the settings. Version 1.2 dramatically improves auto-focus and stabilization compatibility with the BMPC.

Good suggestion. Before this firmware update, this lens was plagued by the strange shake issue, but after the update, it works just fine. I made a video to give you an idea, if you are interested.

Tim

Return to Cinematography