Visual Difference 24p 25p

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Andreas Kaufmann

  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 am

Visual Difference 24p 25p

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi Folks,

I heard a lot about it but never got a clear answer. 24p is referred to look most cinematic.. as I live in a PAL country i wondered if there is any visual difference between 24p and 25p. Because distribution in 25 would be much easier in europe.

Also if I slow down in post from 30fps to 24fps will I have (besides of the light slowmo-effect) the 24fps-cinematic feel of the picture?
www.andreas-kaufmann.net
Offline

Dmitry Kitsov

  • Posts: 339
  • Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 pm
  • Location: Walnut Creek, Ca

Re: Visual Difference 24p 25p

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 2:22 pm

AndiDieMaus wrote:Hi Folks,

I heard a lot about it but never got a clear answer. 24p is referred to look most cinematic.. as I live in a PAL country i wondered if there is any visual difference between 24p and 25p. Because distribution in 25 would be much easier in europe.

Also if I slow down in post from 30fps to 24fps will I have (besides of the light slowmo-effect) the 24fps-cinematic feel of the picture?

Save yourself a headache and shoot at whatever is the standard frame-rate for your location. 25 is as cinematic as 24.
Last edited by Dmitry Kitsov on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitry Kitsov
Offline
User avatar

Tom

  • Posts: 1626
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:08 am
  • Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Visual Difference 24p 25p

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Dmitry Kitsov wrote:
AndiDieMaus wrote:Hi Folks,

I heard a lot about it but never got a clear answer. 24p is referred to look most cinematic.. as I live in a PAL country i wondered if there is any visual difference between 24p and 25p. Because distribution in 25 would be much easier in europe.

Also if I slow down in post from 30fps to 24fps will I have (besides of the light slowmo-effect) the 24fps-cinematic feel of the picture?

Dave yourself a headache and shoot at whatever is the standard frame-rate for your location. 25 is as cinematic as 24.


I think there is a perceivable difference but yes, I fully agree with DK here, 25 can look "cinematic" also.
Tom Majerski
http://tetragrade.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/
Offline

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

  • Posts: 277
  • Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Re: Visual Difference 24p 25p

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Visually they are almost entirely the same if they are playing back side by side on displays that can display them natively you'd struggle to tell the difference.

There are two considerations what the AC power rate is in your shoot location and what the broadcast frame rate is where you are delivering.

Ideally you always want to have your frame rate matching the AC power cycle in your location. This means that asuming you aren't doing high speed work you are limiting how much you'll have in the way of flicker related problems. There are ways to counter this (flicker free lights, certain shutter speeds relative to frame rate) but you'll have greater creative freedom if you shoot to the local rate.
Offline

Mac Jaeger

  • Posts: 1810
  • Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:53 pm
  • Location: Germany

Re: Visual Difference 24p 25p

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 2:57 pm

And if you plan to author BluRays later, you might want to stick to 24 fps. BluRay accepts 1080p only at 24 fps; 25 fps material would need to be interlaced to 50i.
Offline

Andreas Kaufmann

  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Visual Difference 24p 25p

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 8:42 am

Thank you for the great answers!

What about my question of reducing 30fps to 24 in post.. does it feel like cinematic 24fps when done in post?
www.andreas-kaufmann.net
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 2139
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: London UK

Re: Visual Difference 24p 25p

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 8:47 am

Mac Jaeger wrote:And if you plan to author BluRays later, you might want to stick to 24 fps. BluRay accepts 1080p only at 24 fps; 25 fps material would need to be interlaced to 50i.


You can also retime the 25 FPS to 24 FPS frame for frame. It slows the audio by 4% which is negligible but you could also pitch correct that as well.

24-->25 and back again is a pretty common way of working in 50Hz domains from before digital and non-linear video.

I don't think there's much difference with 25/24 unless there's action.

JB
John Brawley
Cinematographer
London UK
Offline

Mac Jaeger

  • Posts: 1810
  • Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:53 pm
  • Location: Germany

Re: Visual Difference 24p 25p

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 7:34 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Mac Jaeger wrote:And if you plan to author BluRays later, you might want to stick to 24 fps. BluRay accepts 1080p only at 24 fps; 25 fps material would need to be interlaced to 50i.


You can also retime the 25 FPS to 24 FPS frame for frame. It slows the audio by 4% which is negligible but you could also pitch correct that as well.

Sure, i've done this a couple of times, especially for stereoscopic content, as BluRay3D (or rather HDMI 1.4a) accepts 1080 only at 24 fps or 720 at 50/60 fps. Works well and doesn't compromise much. Still i prefer to shoot 24 fps when i know i'll release a BluRay later.
Offline

Doge

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Visual Difference 24p 25p

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 9:43 pm

This is a test of footage shot at 30fps, and then conformed to 24fps. Some people describe it as having a more "ethereal" feel.



Basic process:
Set your proxy renders to 23.98 in Resolve, and then editing in a 23.98 timeline. When you XML back into Resolve for grading, it will maintain the frame rate when your RAW files are relinked and rendered for mastering.

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, pnguyen720, youlikeny and 21 guests