Camera v1.4.2 update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 559
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 am

Hi guys

We have just released a v1.4.2 update for the Pocket Cinema Camera that addresses the 'Black Sun' effect.

Thanks
Offline
User avatar

Tom

  • Posts: 1626
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:08 am
  • Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:35 am

Am I right in thinking this will not affect the black sun effect on the BMCC?
Tom Majerski
http://tetragrade.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:43 am

Tom wrote:Am I right in thinking this will not affect the black sun effect on the BMCC?

Well that all depends Tom... due you think UFO's really exist?
Offline
User avatar

Tom

  • Posts: 1626
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:08 am
  • Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:45 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Tom wrote:Am I right in thinking this will not affect the black sun effect on the BMCC?

Well that all depends Tom... due you think UFO's really exist?


I believe there are object which at one time or another can be considered both unidentified and flying.
Tom Majerski
http://tetragrade.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/
Offline
User avatar

Marcel Beck

  • Posts: 311
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 am
  • Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:50 am

Tom wrote:Am I right in thinking this will not affect the black sun effect on the BMCC?


+1
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios
Offline

Darryl Gregory

  • Posts: 939
  • Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am
  • Location: LA

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:51 am

Tom wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:
Tom wrote:Am I right in thinking this will not affect the black sun effect on the BMCC?

Well that all depends Tom... due you think UFO's really exist?


I believe there are object which at one time or another can be considered both unidentified and flying.


Now that is funny!
Welcome aboard Scotty :P
Offline

Andreas Kaufmann

  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:54 am

the site also shows the 1.4.2. update for the BMCC EF.. High hopes that it already features improved ProRes!!
www.andreas-kaufmann.net
Offline
User avatar

adamroberts

  • Posts: 4496
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:27 am
  • Location: England, UK

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 10:18 am

AndiDieMaus wrote:the site also shows the 1.4.2. update for the BMCC EF.. High hopes that it already features improved ProRes!!


The same update tool and firmware is used on all the cameras.
Offline

David C Talbert

  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:40 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 10:39 am

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe this particular update is specific to the pocket cam.

On another note I tested it with a bright light source as I have no daylight right now.




enjoy :)
Offline

Andreas Kaufmann

  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am

so you tested it with the pocket cam?
www.andreas-kaufmann.net
Offline
User avatar

Ghassan Nazmi

  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:53 am
  • Location: Jordan, Az Zarqa

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 pm

I just updated my BMCC MFT camera and the screen just flickered and gradually went away like the previous Firmware upgrade, I just shot the sun and the issue is still there, nothing changed not even a glimpse of improvement. my wondering is why this is just for the Pocket camera and not for the BMCC...also what have changed on my MFT with this firmware update? anything to mention ?
Last edited by Ghassan Nazmi on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghassan Nazmi
Writer|Director|Cinematographer
Info@ghassannazmi.com
www.ghassannazmi.com (Currently Upgrading)

http://instagram.com/oras_gn

VINTRUSCAM (BMCC 2.5K MFT)
Offline

leepatterson

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:02 pm
  • Location: Scotland

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Great news kristian, thanks. On my bmpcc and sorted:)
Offline

Ivan Lee

  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:11 pm
  • Location: Kyoto, Japan

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 3:03 pm

If I didn't remember wrongly, didn't we hear that raw would definitely come in the next firmware update before? Or does this update do so already? :shock:
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1433
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Yep, this fix is ONLY for the pocket camera. Just tested my BMCC EF. Black holes are still there.

Offline

David Sandberg

  • Posts: 143
  • Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:56 pm
  • Location: Los Angeles

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Weird that they fixed it for their newest camera and not the ones that more people own.
Offline
User avatar

DaleCampbellFilms

  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 3:54 pm

David Sandberg wrote:Weird that they fixed it for their newest camera and not the ones that more people own.


Who knows, maybe as the pocket is small/cheap enough to get into the hands of people who are a little less technically inclined it was more urgent....
http://www.dalecampbellfilms.com
Offline
User avatar

Thomas Schumacher

  • Posts: 665
  • Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:14 pm
  • Location: Germany

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Yep, this fix is ONLY for the pocket camera. Just tested my BMCC EF. Black holes are still there.



Thanks for that. What a disappointment. That s**cks. :-(
My award-winning doc: https://vimeo.com/91622063
ARE YOU HAPPY? https://vimeo.com/72724154
http://www.gernemehrfilm.de/
https://berlin3500.wordpress.com/
Offline

ChrisBarcellos

  • Posts: 329
  • Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:34 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 4:55 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Yep, this fix is ONLY for the pocket camera. Just tested my BMCC EF. Black holes are still there.



Your video suddenly reminded me of a recurring nightmare I had as a youth. My older brother was impressing us younger children in the family with his vast scientific knowledge, and told us that some day our sun would burn out. It frightened me, even though he said it would be millions of years in the future. From that day on, I had a recurring nightmare where I would be outside or riding in a car, and I would look up at the sun, and it was a black disk just like the black hole produced on our BMCC cams. Precognition ??
Offline

Manu Gil

  • Posts: 242
  • Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:10 pm
  • Location: Spain (Europe)

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:14 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Yep, this fix is ONLY for the pocket camera. Just tested my BMCC EF. Black holes are still there.


Thanks Sean.
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1433
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:24 pm

ChrisBarcellos wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:Yep, this fix is ONLY for the pocket camera. Just tested my BMCC EF. Black holes are still there.



Your video suddenly reminded me of a recurring nightmare I had as a youth. My older brother was impressing us younger children in the family with his vast scientific knowledge, and told us that some day our sun would burn out. It frightened me, even though he said it would be millions of years in the future. From that day on, I had a recurring nightmare where I would be outside or riding in a car, and I would look up at the sun, and it was a black disk just like the black hole produced on our BMCC cams. Precognition ??


LOL, I just hear Soundgarden every time I see it...
Offline

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 2990
  • Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:28 pm

sean mclennan wrote:LOL, I just hear Soundgarden every time I see it...

Their best song IMO. Spoonman a very close 2nd.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial
Offline

seancusick

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Just wanted to voice my frusteration over the lack of updates on any front for the BMCC.
Audio meters
Black hole
Sharper pro res images correction promised
Compressed Raw recording
Ability to see how much space is left
auto focus control on EF mount
Wider universal Canon/Sony Lanc support
Ability to delete clips in camera
Ability to format
Anamorphic mode
More frame rates

It would be nice if even one issue would be addressed. It has been over a year.
Offline

AdrianSierkowski

  • Posts: 895
  • Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 pm
  • Location: Los Angeles.

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:30 pm

The Pocket and the Cinemas use separate sensors, if memory serves hence the fix for one may not work @ all on the other-- plus perhaps with all the "white orb calibrations" coming in on the pocket they had more of an ability to look at numerous cameras and make up a new firmware? I of course have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fix for the cinemas was forthcoming. Granted the "fix" will only hide sensor overload and all that "oh it may harm the camera" such, but since every other CMOS sensor on the planet has to deal (somehow) with this same issue, I wouldn't be too worried about never seeing a fix.
Just keep on talking with BMD and letting them know what you need-- e.g. calling them not posting on a forum-- write them letters ect.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com
Offline
User avatar

Nikolay Smirnov

  • Posts: 285
  • Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:34 pm
  • Location: Moscow

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Just tried updating my BMCC EF, and Utility 1.4.2 said my camera is up to date, lol, seriously?

oh well, waiting for 1.5 anyway.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1433
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:48 pm

seancusick wrote:Just wanted to voice my frusteration over the lack of updates on any front for the BMCC.
Audio meters
Black hole
Sharper pro res images correction promised
Compressed Raw recording
Ability to see how much space is left
auto focus control on EF mount
Wider universal Canon/Sony Lanc support
Ability to delete clips in camera
Ability to format
Anamorphic mode
More frame rates

It would be nice if even one issue would be addressed. It has been over a year.


Why are you expecting these updates and therefore getting frustrated by the lack of them? There is only one thing on your list that BM has even remotely stated they would provide by firmware update. NOTHING else on that list has ever been promised or mentioned by BM as an upcoming update.

What makes you think you'll ever get them?
Offline

Fulgencio Martínez

  • Posts: 166
  • Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:57 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
seancusick wrote:Just wanted to voice my frusteration over the lack of updates on any front for the BMCC.
Audio meters
Black hole
Sharper pro res images correction promised
Compressed Raw recording
Ability to see how much space is left
auto focus control on EF mount
Wider universal Canon/Sony Lanc support
Ability to delete clips in camera
Ability to format
Anamorphic mode
More frame rates

It would be nice if even one issue would be addressed. It has been over a year.


Why are you expecting these updates and therefore getting frustrated by the lack of them? There is only one thing on your list that BM has even remotely stated they would provide by firmware update. NOTHING else on that list has ever been promised or mentioned by BM as an upcoming update.

What makes you think you'll ever get them?


There are things like having to count the minutes you shot in order to know the disk space left that makes you look like a fool when you are on set
While maybe they did not say they would fix it, any 50$ camera has this feature.
All the people that defend BM as if they were talking about their mom.. do they get paid?
Offline

David C Talbert

  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:40 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 6:12 pm

AndiDieMaus wrote:so you tested it with the pocket cam?



yes
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1433
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 6:14 pm

I wasn't defending anyone...I merely don't understand why people keep complaining about a lack of update when none was promised.

I agree, those features should be in the camera, I want them as well, but they were never promised to be delivered.

I think people should wake up to the fact that, at this point, it's more likely that the BMCC they have is the way it's going to be. Period.
Offline

David

  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:05 am
  • Location: Ohio.... just marginally better than Kalgoorlie

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Fulgencio Martínez wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:
seancusick wrote:Just wanted to voice my frusteration over the lack of updates on any front for the BMCC.
Audio meters
Black hole
Sharper pro res images correction promised
Compressed Raw recording
Ability to see how much space is left
auto focus control on EF mount
Wider universal Canon/Sony Lanc support
Ability to delete clips in camera
Ability to format
Anamorphic mode
More frame rates

It would be nice if even one issue would be addressed. It has been over a year.


Why are you expecting these updates and therefore getting frustrated by the lack of them? There is only one thing on your list that BM has even remotely stated they would provide by firmware update. NOTHING else on that list has ever been promised or mentioned by BM as an upcoming update.

What makes you think you'll ever get them?


There are things like having to count the minutes you shot in order to know the disk space left that makes you look like a fool when you are on set
While maybe they did not say they would fix it, any 50$ camera has this feature.
All the people that defend BM as if they were talking about their mom.. do they get paid?


Then go spend $50 on a real camera and be on your way.
David Daniel
Dilettante
Offline
User avatar

Frank Glencairn

  • Posts: 1570
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 am
  • Location: Germany

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Fulgencio Martínez wrote:
There are things like having to count the minutes you shot in order to know the disk space left that makes you look like a fool when you are on set


Cause only a fool would count the minutes. :roll:

Someone who cared to read the manual, would know that you just need to hit play, and you see how many minutes are recorded. If it says 20:00 you know, you have about 5 minutes left on a 250 SSD.

And while at it:

This stupid asking for deleting clips in camera over and over drives me nuts.
Do your research and homework before you post guys. There is a good reason, why Red and Arri don't allow to delete clips in camera ether.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Set your zebras to 100%, ETTR and you're golden - and NO, you can't use TB as output for an external monitor, and you can't download the footy via TB ether.
Offline

hugh

  • Posts: 115
  • Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:05 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 6:55 pm

sean mclennan wrote:I wasn't defending anyone...I merely don't understand why people keep complaining about a lack of update when none was promised.

I agree, those features should be in the camera, I want them as well, but they were never promised to be delivered.

I think people should wake up to the fact that, at this point, it's more likely that the BMCC they have is the way it's going to be. Period.


Well said!
Offline

thomas bruegger

  • Posts: 195
  • Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:43 pm
  • Location: switzerland

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 pm

seancusick wrote:Just wanted to voice my frusteration over the lack of updates on any front for the BMCC.
Audio meters
Black hole
Sharper pro res images correction promised
Compressed Raw recording
Ability to see how much space is left
auto focus control on EF mount
Wider universal Canon/Sony Lanc support
Ability to delete clips in camera
Ability to format
Anamorphic mode
More frame rates

It would be nice if even one issue would be addressed. It has been over a year.


+1, they have to clear the audio its crazy.... i dont need to delete clips though.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch
Offline

kfrerichs

  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:09 pm
  • Location: Redwood Shores, CA

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Just updated my BMPCC to v1.4.2 and I can verify that it does in fact eliminate the black dot. Thanks!
Offline

Austin Reed

  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:18 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:Just tried updating my BMCC EF, and Utility 1.4.2 said my camera is up to date, lol, seriously?

oh well, waiting for 1.5 anyway.


Someone correct me on this but this seems to work for me regarding updates... I haven't updated my camera's firmware to 1.4.2 but when I updated to 1.4.1 from 1.4.0, I was already having the "camera up to date" notice. I'm using windows 7 64bit. I had to uninstall 1.4.0 and install 1.4.1. I'm guessing I'll have to uninstall 1.4.1 and install 1.4.2, then it will update.

You may need to uninstall the old and then install the new, and it might work.
Offline
User avatar

Nikolay Smirnov

  • Posts: 285
  • Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:34 pm
  • Location: Moscow

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Austin Reed wrote:
Nikolay Smirnov wrote:Just tried updating my BMCC EF, and Utility 1.4.2 said my camera is up to date, lol, seriously?

oh well, waiting for 1.5 anyway.

You may need to uninstall the old and then install the new, and it might work.

That's what I did, odd...
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production
Offline

Austin Reed

  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:18 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Nikolay,

You're ahead of the game, you might already have update 1.5.1 :D
Offline

Fulgencio Martínez

  • Posts: 166
  • Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 8:16 pm

sean mclennan wrote:I wasn't defending anyone...I merely don't understand why people keep complaining about a lack of update when none was promised.

I agree, those features should be in the camera, I want them as well, but they were never promised to be delivered.

I think people should wake up to the fact that, at this point, it's more likely that the BMCC they have is the way it's going to be. Period.


Me and 7 more people were promised by Blackmagic Spanish manager last november, before doing our reserves, that BMCC would get to 60 fps... Madrid at Massdigital. If you want i could even get you the date and time.
Meanwhile BM has been officially promising delivery dates that never fullfills, specs on cameras that never arrive (like raw on pocket wich was said to come.. then after thousand made a reserve it was said in next firmware..and here is next firmware and no sign of raw.)
So whether BM promises or not is worth nothing because they have a hard gained reputation as a company you should not trust
Offline

Fulgencio Martínez

  • Posts: 166
  • Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:
Fulgencio Martínez wrote:
There are things like having to count the minutes you shot in order to know the disk space left that makes you look like a fool when you are on set


Cause only a fool would count the minutes. :roll:

Someone who cared to read the manual, would know that you just need to hit play, and you see how many minutes are recorded. If it says 20:00 you know, you have about 5 minutes left on a 250 SSD.

And while at it:

This stupid asking for deleting clips in camera over and over drives me nuts.
Do your research and homework before you post guys. There is a good reason, why Red and Arri don't allow to delete clips in camera ether.


And if you shot raw and prores mixed... what do you do mr wise guy?
being able to test the cameras before others get you problem blind??
Maybe it was testers who should have find out this things before BMCC ever got to the regular buyers
Offline

Alex Primes

  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:39 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:
Fulgencio Martínez wrote:
There are things like having to count the minutes you shot in order to know the disk space left that makes you look like a fool when you are on set


... you just need to hit play, and you see how many minutes are recorded. If it says 20:00 you know, you have about 5 minutes left on a 250 SSD.


OK say you are recording a long take and can't stop and check. The timecode shows min/sec since the start of this particular clip still being recorded. How do you know (without constantly logging/countung) what previous clips' length was, and thus how much space is left on SSD?

...crickets...
DataBoss.me
the easiest way to backup, then find any of your data at any time.
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1433
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Fulgencio Martínez wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:I wasn't defending anyone...I merely don't understand why people keep complaining about a lack of update when none was promised.

I agree, those features should be in the camera, I want them as well, but they were never promised to be delivered.

I think people should wake up to the fact that, at this point, it's more likely that the BMCC they have is the way it's going to be. Period.


Me and 7 more people were promised by Blackmagic Spanish manager last november, before doing our reserves, that BMCC would get to 60 fps... Madrid at Massdigital. If you want i could even get you the date and time.
Meanwhile BM has been officially promising delivery dates that never fullfills, specs on cameras that never arrive (like raw on pocket wich was said to come.. then after thousand made a reserve it was said in next firmware..and here is next firmware and no sign of raw.)
So whether BM promises or not is worth nothing because they have a hard gained reputation as a company you should not trust


Spanish manager of what? A store? What is Massdigital in Madrid? That looks like a STORE.

Sorry a STORE lied to you, but that's not Blackmagic. You are dealing with a crappy, lying STORE...maybe you should shop somewhere else.

BM said RAW would come from a future firmware. Not NEXT, future. No date, no time...just "via future firmware update".

You're mad you don't have want you want...and you want someone to yell at. Pick up the phone and yell at Massdigital. Save us from listening to your complaints.
Offline
User avatar

sean mclennan

  • Posts: 1433
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 9:52 pm

mo7ies wrote:
Frank Glencairn wrote:
Fulgencio Martínez wrote:
There are things like having to count the minutes you shot in order to know the disk space left that makes you look like a fool when you are on set


... you just need to hit play, and you see how many minutes are recorded. If it says 20:00 you know, you have about 5 minutes left on a 250 SSD.


OK say you are recording a long take and can't stop and check. The timecode shows min/sec since the start of this particular clip still being recorded. How do you know (without constantly logging/countung) what previous clips' length was, and thus how much space is left on SSD?

...crickets...


wow...really?

Hit play, hit next, next, next, next...the time for each clip is displayed. 4min, 3min, 9min...I have about 9 min left...Start Record.

Not rocket science.
Offline

Alex Primes

  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:39 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Remaining time is the most basic feature and is/should be present on any device that either records or plays media. It has been since decades ago. How is it that some folks take it upon themselves to argue that it is OK for a cinema camera Not to have it, is beyond me.
DataBoss.me
the easiest way to backup, then find any of your data at any time.
Offline

AdrianSierkowski

  • Posts: 895
  • Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 pm
  • Location: Los Angeles.

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 10:21 pm

I would personally be happy even with a "GB recorded" or "GB remaining." or a % or something. It's not rocket science, but I personally often don't have the time to sit there and tally up math of time remaining on a card while I'm shooting something. Hell even a GOPRO can tell you how much time is left on it, I don't really see how it could be that complicated to do.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com
Offline
User avatar

PaulDelVecchio

  • Posts: 779
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:33 am
  • Location: NY

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Hey, it would be a nice feature to have so we don't have to sit there cycling through the clips. Then there's also the issue of if you're recording ProRes and RAW on the same disk. It would be nice to have. Proper timecode would be nice too. Makes it easier to conform without risk of errors.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv
Offline

Kahuna

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 10:59 pm

I can't seem to access the update! On the support page, after setting the parameters and hitting search I get:

Error loading MacroEngine script (file: /support/SupportDetails.cshtml)

I don't suppose anybody has a direct link?

It is working now! Nevermind!
Offline

Fulgencio Martínez

  • Posts: 166
  • Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 1:01 am

sean mclennan wrote:
Fulgencio Martínez wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:I wasn't defending anyone...I merely don't understand why people keep complaining about a lack of update when none was promised.

I agree, those features should be in the camera, I want them as well, but they were never promised to be delivered.

I think people should wake up to the fact that, at this point, it's more likely that the BMCC they have is the way it's going to be. Period.


Me and 7 more people were promised by Blackmagic Spanish manager last november, before doing our reserves, that BMCC would get to 60 fps... Madrid at Massdigital. If you want i could even get you the date and time.
Meanwhile BM has been officially promising delivery dates that never fullfills, specs on cameras that never arrive (like raw on pocket wich was said to come.. then after thousand made a reserve it was said in next firmware..and here is next firmware and no sign of raw.)
So whether BM promises or not is worth nothing because they have a hard gained reputation as a company you should not trust


Spanish manager of what? A store? What is Massdigital in Madrid? That looks like a STORE.

Sorry a STORE lied to you, but that's not Blackmagic. You are dealing with a crappy, lying STORE...maybe you should shop somewhere else.

BM said RAW would come from a future firmware. Not NEXT, future. No date, no time...just "via future firmware update".

You're mad you don't have want you want...and you want someone to yell at. Pick up the phone and yell at Massdigital. Save us from listening to your complaints.


Massdigital is a store in Madrid.. there was an official presentation from Blackmagic...
and there came the Blackmagic man from Barcelona (not working for massdigital but for BLACKMAGIC) and lied to all of us
I don´t have any pocket camera or any 4k reserve cause i will never again trust BM... only when i see the camera at the store an it has been fully tested i would buy one.. always knowing that the costumer service stinks
Offline

David

  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:05 am
  • Location: Ohio.... just marginally better than Kalgoorlie

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 3:07 am

Fulgencio Martínez wrote:and there came the Blackmagic man from Barcelona


I wish to know more of this man.

Did he per chance have six fingers on his right hand?
David Daniel
Dilettante
Offline

Alex Primes

  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:39 am

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 3:48 am

Fulgencio Martínez wrote:only when i see the camera at the store an it has been fully tested i would buy one..


Fulgencio, I find your point of view valid and hope you can ignore the trolls.

Yes people, forums are here to share and to vent. This creates progress, moves things forward. We should be happy and grateful for other people's complaints - how else would we know something is wrong, and what to do to avoid the pitfalls?

Conversely. making fun of people because you don't like their point, or because they are from a different country, is Not useful to anyone.
DataBoss.me
the easiest way to backup, then find any of your data at any time.
Offline

Denny Smith

  • Posts: 7083
  • Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Location: USA, Northern Calif.

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 am

Come on, time remaining on media nas not been around since day 1, or whatever! Tape based cameras did not all show time remaining. Many just showed existing time code on a clip. If you stopped camera and started a new clip, time code started over again, unless you "black burst" the tape first for a "master" time code. So cameras showing how much time remaining is a "new" feature, and to all cameras have it.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions
Offline

paulgolden

  • Posts: 234
  • Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:16 am
  • Location: portlandia

Re: Camera v1.4.2 update

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 4:21 am

I love my BMCC MFT, but I'm sorry, adding up how many GBs have been used or are remaining is something that "computers" are supposed to do. Why should I have to get out scratch pad and take notes to calculate something that any two-bit processor can do? In 1913, a gas gauge was a novelty; in 2013 it's pretty much required. I have enough issues to worry about when I'm shooting without having to worry about a "roll out".

I seem to recall that real Cinema Cameras, like Arri, Panavision etc for like the last hundred years had magazines with footage counters. If BM doesn't have the technical wherewithal or a programmer to figure out disk space, they need to find someone who does. Oh yeah, they're busy conjuring vapor ware...
Next

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests