SONY LENS QUESTION

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Star Trak

SONY LENS QUESTION

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 2:57 pm

I have the MFT BMCC but have been a Sony fan for a long time. I wan't to adapt some Sony glass to my BMCC via an A to MFT mount adapter.

The lens is a Sony DT 16-50 f/2.8 lens.. It's a DT lens which means it's made only to cover APS-C size sensors.. The crop factor of the BMCC is normally 2.4x for FF lenses is that correct? Will the 16-50 DT lens work with the BMCC if I adapt it? (I can control the aperture via the adapter like Nikkor lenses), but what will the crop factor be? It won't be 2.4x because it's not a FF lens..

Thanks.

paulgolden

Re: SONY LENS QUESTION

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 3:16 pm

If it covers an APS-C sensor then it will cover a MFT.

Star Trak

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 3:23 pm

paulgolden wrote:If it covers an APS-C sensor then it will cover a MFT.

Won't the crop factor be different though? It's 2.4x with a FF lens what about with a DT (APS-C) lens?

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Yes, the crop factor is different to MFT, but APS-C lenses are covered by the BMCC's sensor. EF-S lenses also work on the BMCC EF.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

F.K.

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 9:06 pm

The crop factor will be the same as with an FF lens.
The difference between a full frame lens and an asp-C lens is the size of the image Circle they produce.
A 20mm asp-c lens would have the same field of view as a 20mm full frame lens on a full frame sensor, however it wont be able to cover the whole sensor.
Relative to S35 (asp-c) the 16-50 lens would behave as a 25,6-80mm lens, relative to full frame (though this is no relevant sensor size for Video) it would behave like a 38,4-120 lens.

I myself have some Minolta-A lenses, however I haven't adapted them to mft. The IQ should be fine however I wouldn't expect the aperture control trough the Adapter to be very precise.

Gan Eden

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 4:43 am

Do any adapters exist?

Dustin Uy

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 4:54 am

Yes and i believe there are iris control on sony/minolta lenses too
http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/sony-a ... apter.html

F.K.

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Yes the Iris is controlled mechanically on Sony/Minolta A lenses. However it is spring loaded. The lenses have a little leaver that controlled the aperture, i would expect the adapters to simply pass trough this leaver mechanically but i wouldn't expect it to be anywhere close to the aperture control of a Cine lens even though its better then all the electronically controlled apertures.

Jason Stahl

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 2:12 pm

When a lens is stated to be 16mm, it's 16mm regardless of what camera sensor is used. Most specs state crop factor from FF, but remember that cinema cameras don't really go much larger than S35 which is 1.4 crop from FF. I would never try to do the math on crop factor. Look at a camera spec, decide if going as wide as you need would be too hard and be DONE with that number forever after that. If you can't tell a story without that wide establishing shot…

Directors used to think you couldn't cut from someone getting out of a car to being inside a room without showing them walking to the building entrance, going down the hall and entering the room. You'll confuse the audience they thought. You can often dispense with the wide opening shot as well. I'm not saying never though.

Return to Cinematography