List of approved SSDs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dan Michael Hodges

Re: List of approved SSDs

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Looks like they have tried to address the SSD recognition issue in the new camera update this week.

I have been impressed with how responsive BM has been lately.
HARDWARE: 2X Intel Xeon X5680 with 48GB Ram
GRAPHICS: Geforce GTX980Ti v384.69
PLAYBACK: SDI 4K

Cooper

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 7:30 am

No major changes with the 6.1 firmware for the bmpcc4k, and by that i mean the usb 3.1 gen 2 enclosure with the jmicron chip still isn't recognized. And since my asmedia chip "raid" enclosure is beeing utilized in other use can't test for any performance improvements... raid 0 should work longer than spanned.

Harold Hoeffelman

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 11:37 am

Hello,

I use the Samsung T5. SSD. My experience is:

A) The SSD is fine, however,
B) Windows 10 does not support Trim with an exFAT formatted disk, the native format for the BMPCC 4K.

So you have to reformat to NTFS, f.i. to do the trim optimization within Windows 10 from time to time. After this, format the SSD to exFAT again.

The T5 is not doing an optimization itself (kind of carbage collection). This is what Sansung Support told me.

I do not know if Windows 10 come's with an update. If there are other methods and/or experiences, I appreciate to hear.

I have another question. Why is the T5 1TB adviced and not a 500GB f.i. All the T5's has the same read and write spec's. Other approved SSD's can be a 256GB in the same list of devices.

Harold Hoeffelman

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Hello,

Further I experienced that a SSD (my EVO 860 SSD f.i.) connected with an USB to Sata cable and/or enclosures do not always support UASP and/or Trim command. Most of them do support UASP but most of them not support Trim. I assume that the new more expensive models which support USB 3.1 Gen 2 will do both.

A cable which works perfect is the StarTech USB312SAT3CB. The latest firmware add's Trim support in Windows 10.

I still wait for the Orico 2.5 inch USB-C to Sata 3.1 Gen 2 (transparant) Case which support up to 2 TB SSD, UASP and Trim as is promised to me and it seems to be a fast one.

I want to share this information. I do not have any commercial intentions.

Regards Harold

CarlosNino

PostSat Apr 06, 2019 7:40 am

Hi,

I've seen the list of SSD drives compatible with the Pocket 4K bu have not found the Samsung X5 drive (no, not the T5, I mean the X5)
Any reason why?

Cooper

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 1:45 pm

The Samsung x5 is thunderbolt only drive, no USB support on it. Only usb 3.1 gen 1 (5Gb) UHS-II (SDXC), sata6G (cfast) and 1080p60 (HDMI 1.4?) out on the pocket 4k.
CarlosNino wrote:Hi,

I've seen the list of SSD drives compatible with the Pocket 4K bu have not found the Samsung X5 drive (no, not the T5, I mean the X5)
Any reason why?

danbrazda

PostMon Jul 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Anyone using Samsung 2TB 860EVO SSDs with the G2? I noticed the 1TB and 4TB are on the approved list but not the 2TB. Curious if the 2TB hasn't been tested or it was tested and rejected.

mdmozz

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 7:03 am

Hi guys,

I'm having difficulty understanding the results of a Blackmagic Disk Speed test I have run for my setup.

I have : UMP 4.6k, BM SSD Recorder, Samsung 860 QVO 1tb SSD.

I had an issue with dropped frames while shooting an IV in ProRess HQ, UHD. I realise that SSD isn't on the approved BM list of SSD's but in doing the Disk Speed test it said that it should work?

DiskSpeedTest.png
DiskSpeedTest.png (224.77 KiB) Viewed 8736 times

Should I be looking at the How Fast? column on the speed test? And should I definitely get an approved SSD should I want to shoot anything higher than 422?

Cheers!

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 3:59 pm

The BMD tests to determine if a product makes the approved list are much more rigorous than the Disk Speed Test. People have found various products may work for them but you purchase them understanding there may be a problem. Occasionally there are problems even with approved products. Typically either BMD or the manufacturer changes something in their code or firmware and previously approved hardware can have difficulties.

Still best to buy approved and read the forum to get a sense of what’s best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

mdmozz

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 1:03 am

Thanks Rick - appreciate it!

Can anyone tell me what the Read and Write numbers on the How Fast? column on the right hand side?

Cheers!

Luca Rocchini

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 2:49 pm

Hi!
Sorry to reopen this but I can't find any info about Blackmagic RAW and SSD recorder.
My Samsung EVO 500GB SSD failed recently. So I wonder what's best to buy.

Does anyone have a list of SSD cards that work for BRAW? Or experience with some of them? My
The list from Blackmagic is from 2017...

Thanks
Luca Rocchini DOP

URSA MINI PRO 4.6K, EF, PL, SSD Recorder, BM VA 4K, Nikon AIS

http://www.lucarocchini.com/

Luca Rocchini

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Luca Rocchini wrote:Hi!
Sorry to reopen this but I can't find any info about Blackmagic RAW and SSD recorder.
My Samsung EVO 500GB SSD failed recently. So I wonder what's best to buy.

Does anyone have a list of SSD cards that work for BRAW? Or experience with some of them? My
The list from Blackmagic is from 2017...

Thanks

Also any suggestions for cards up to the max frame rates for recording BRAW at 4.6K/4K?
This either with the SSD recorder or SD cards (I don't think they would record slomo at 4.6K4K) and CF cards on UMP 4.6K.
Luca Rocchini DOP

URSA MINI PRO 4.6K, EF, PL, SSD Recorder, BM VA 4K, Nikon AIS

http://www.lucarocchini.com/

Mikesofokles

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 7:56 pm

Question before I go any further. I purchased Kingston A400 2.5" 480GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SA400S37 not knowing it was internal. Besides from the point I'm going to return it and possible going to buy the 480G SSDNOW UV500 SATA3 2.5" Bundle. Does it work with my Blackmagic 4k camera?

Thank you!!

SantenPlu

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Harold Hoeffelman wrote:I use the Samsung T5. SSD. My experience is:

A) The SSD is fine, however,
B) Windows 10 does not support Trim with an exFAT formatted disk, the native format for the BMPCC 4K.

So you have to reformat to NTFS, f.i. to do the trim optimization within Windows 10 from time to time. After this, format the SSD to exFAT again.

The T5 is not doing an optimization itself (kind of carbage collection). This is what Sansung Support told me.

This is a very interesting and valuable information for me.
Does a simple reformat to NTFS does the trim optimization? Or are further steps needed.
After that we format to exFAT and can start filming with a freshly trimmed SSD?

Harold Hoeffelman wrote:I do not know if Windows 10 come's with an update. If there are other methods and/or experiences, I appreciate to hear.

I have another question. Why is the T5 1TB adviced and not a 500GB f.i. All the T5's has the same read and write spec's. Other approved SSD's can be a 256GB in the same list of devices.

Any updates on that questions?
Previous

Return to Cinematography