List of approved SSDs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Greene

Re: List of approved SSDs *updated*

PostSun May 04, 2014 10:09 pm

HugoCGuerra: What Camera did your SanDisk Extreme 2 work on, 2.5K or 4K Model?
Junior

HugoCGuerra

PostMon May 05, 2014 11:35 am

tifose wrote:HugoCGuerra: What Camera did your SanDisk Extreme 2 work on, 2.5K or 4K Model?

It's working in the 4K camera.

Best regards
Hugo Guerra

Director & VFX Supervisor

hugo-guerra.com
Twitter: @HugoCGuerra
You Tube: Hugo’s Desk

Mobile. +44 (0)7742813032

John Greene

PostMon May 05, 2014 1:45 pm

HugoCGuerra wrote:
tifose wrote:HugoCGuerra: What Camera did your SanDisk Extreme 2 work on, 2.5K or 4K Model?

Best regards

i have the SanDisk Extreme 2 480Gb ( SDSSDXP-480G ) it's not working at all says No SSD
can you give any Guideline on this?
Junior

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon May 05, 2014 4:56 pm

tifose wrote:i have the SanDisk Extreme 2 480Gb ( SDSSDXP-480G ) it's not working at all says No SSD. can you give any Guideline on this?

Use a SSD tested and recommended by BMD:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... 851&os=mac

As described in the camera's docs, format the SSD using your computer before inserting it in the camera.

I'm using the "Kingston 240 GB HyperX 3K (SH103S3/240G)" in my BMPC-4K, and it works perfectly.

-

MondoTV

PostTue May 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Interesting thread - One word of caution on relying on testing rather than the official approved list. The interface in the shuttle 2 and therefore I assume the BMCC is only SATA2 - testing sites would nearly always use SATA 3. So not only must a drive be quick it must be quick on a legacy buss. So the Digistors look like a good option..

Peter_r

PostTue May 06, 2014 11:35 pm

tifose wrote:
HugoCGuerra wrote:

Best regards

i have the SanDisk Extreme 2 480Gb ( SDSSDXP-480G ) it's not working at all says No SSD

It works in mine, but I had to format it on my Mac computer first.

John Greene

PostWed May 07, 2014 12:42 am

can you give any Guideline on this?[/quote]

It works in mine, but I had to format it on my Mac computer first.[/quote]

Ok this is confusing how can this SSD work on some BMPC 4K and not others?
Junior

Marcus Federico

PostWed May 07, 2014 1:30 am

HugoCGuerra wrote:I am actually been using the Extreme II 480GB with some success.

http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/ssd/sata/extreme-ii/

It is thinner so I had to use a adaptor but the problem is the camera not always recognises the drive.
A lot of times during shooting you need to turn the camera on and off until the drive shows up.

Anyone else with this issue?

Cheers

Where can i find an adaptor?

jasecd

PostWed May 07, 2014 9:53 am

tabocadesign wrote:
HugoCGuerra wrote:I am actually been using the Extreme II 480GB with some success.

http://www.sandisk.co.uk/products/ssd/sata/extreme-ii/

It is thinner so I had to use a adaptor but the problem is the camera not always recognises the drive.
A lot of times during shooting you need to turn the camera on and off until the drive shows up.

Anyone else with this issue?

Cheers

Where can i find an adaptor?

It should be in the box with the SSD. It looks like this:

Jason Hall,
London/Bristol UK

stojkuki

PostWed May 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Well, after one week of intensive testing and "punishing" bmpc in different situations, field, studio, .... Samsung evo works fine. No drop frames .... No errors, ...
I'm just wondering what were those isues that you hade during the testing .... Only if Pro series are problematic, .....

Goran Alimpic

PostWed May 07, 2014 9:09 pm

My Samsung EVO also works fine. Maybe they tested it without the 9mm adapter and it rattled inside and the connection was not perfect... just a guess.

Peter_r

PostMon May 12, 2014 3:50 am

tifose wrote:i have the SanDisk Extreme 2 480Gb ( SDSSDXP-480G ) it's not working at all says No SSD

It works in mine, but I had to format it on my Mac computer first.[/quote]

Ok this is confusing how can this SSD work on some BMPC 4K and not others?[/quote]

No idea, but when I first put the drive in the camera, it didn't recognise it at all, then I realised I had to format it on my MAC first. I tried using an external 'bay' to format the drive, that didn't work in the BMD camera either. I connected the drive directly to the SATA cables inside my MAC, and then formatted it, and popped it in the camera, and it worked fine since.
I also attached the spacer that came in the box with the SSD.

Sebastian Kaz

PostWed May 28, 2014 2:38 pm

So I have done a bit of sifting through this thread and I have 2 questions in regards to the BMPC4K SSD compatible drives.

1) From research, different sizes of the same model SSD drives can have different speeds (one case I've found is with some Samsung models having up to ~60MB/s difference*).

I saw that the Adata XPG 256GB model is supported, but is the 512GB version supported?
And does this also apply to the Intel 530 series in regards to the 480GB version?
My research showed that they have marginal differences in speed (~10MB/s difference)

And 2) Do these drives also hold up to 4K RAW filming, or will faster drives be required?

*From real-world testing between different models/versions, and advertised speeds

isquad

hellllllppppp please

PostSat May 31, 2014 8:15 pm

hi

issue with my bmc4k
red light when filming sun or another source of light
firmware to fix it pleaaaassssse.
3000 for camera that can't film the light com'on guyz
do som'in 4 that

Drakuul

Re: hellllllppppp please

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 5:55 pm

isquad wrote:hi

issue with my bmc4k
red light when filming sun or another source of light
firmware to fix it pleaaaassssse.
3000 for camera that can't film the light com'on guyz
do som'in 4 that

You may want to put that into a seperate thread. Putting a problem with no details on a thread about SSDs will do nothing
Richard Roberts, I do stuff.

dravani

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 3:14 am

transcend ssd720 256GB not working with Version 1.8 Firmware on BMCPC 4K RAW. Works with Prores 4k and HD, but apparently not RAW.

How about a list of approved SSDs for the 4K RAW???

Saturn

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 5:58 pm

I would join a previous poster in wishing a list of SSD models approved for recording 4K RAW footage on Blackmagic Production 4K, especially with 29.97 fps.

So far my usual Intel 520 Series 480GB, which is on the list of "OK to record 2.5K RAW", starts to blink "Rec", so it skips some frames, after 10 sec.

Had no issues on 1.7 and with firmware 1.8 still have no issues with recording ProRes 4K.

Dave Perry

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Saturn wrote:I would join a previous poster in wishing a list of SSD models approved for recording 4K RAW footage on Blackmagic Production 4K, especially with 29.97 fps.

So far my usual Intel 520 Series 480GB, which is on the list of "OK to record 2.5K RAW", starts to blink "Rec", so it skips some frames, after 10 sec.

Had no issues on 1.7 and with firmware 1.8 still have no issues with recording ProRes 4K.

Quoted from the newly updated BM Suppoert page:

"Get answers to common questions for the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K including recommended SSDs for ProRes and RAW recording."

The link from this quote goes to the list of SSDs recommended for ProRes and RAW recording. When you get to the list though, it is a little confusing that it doesn't specifically say RAW, just says 4k. One is lead to think that it means 4k RAW and ProRes. I've only had time to shoot about a minute of RAW footage at this point and had no dropped frames.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
2046 High Tower Dr. Unit 1
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

rick.lang

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Perhaps that Support web page SSD list has not been updated yet to include mention of SSDs for Compressed CinemaDNG on the BMPC4K.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

marcellomazzilli

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 3:36 am

This ....Kingston 240 GB SSDNow KC300 (SKC300S37A/240G).... Is on the approved list but is not working in 4k raw mode.... Works fine in 4k prores....
Samsung 840 256gb seems to work fine (and is not on the approved list). Still I didn't do intensive tests specially to check for dropped frames.

I believe raw is much better than prores in terma of grading possibilities. I found so much info in the highlights!
Marcello Mazzilli

richbella

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 6:10 am

Regarding SanDisk II Extreme SSD's

I have 1x480g SanDisk Extreme II SSD and 2x240 SanDisk Extreme II SSD

I bought the 2x240's in a bundle from EBay with my BMCC. I carefully placed the shim's on them and formatted the drives Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
I have never had a problem shooting RAW nor ProRes with them. Last month I acquired the 480 in a bundle with the BMPC4K from the same EBay seller. All the SanDisk Extreme II SSD's worked great with the 4k ProRes Files. Last Night I ran a raw test at 23.98fps and ran the camera until the card filled up. The 480 did just fine and captured just under 30 min. with no frames lost. I checked the numeric coding from beginning to end and it was perfect. Just an FYI for those concerned. If it's not on the list, oh well. Do your due diligence and test it for yourself before you make a fool out of yourself. This camera is one of my working tools that take care of my livelihood and I have 4 kids and a wife so I take my work seriously. Good luck and best of shooting everyone!

Scott Pultz

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 8:03 am

Just got my 480gb Sandisk Extreme to work with 30fps...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24019

Miguel Salinas

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 2:19 am

marcellomazzilli wrote:This ....Kingston 240 GB SSDNow KC300 (SKC300S37A/240G).... Is on the approved list but is not working in 4k raw mode.... Works fine in 4k prores....
Samsung 840 256gb seems to work fine (and is not on the approved list). Still I didn't do intensive tests specially to check for dropped frames.

I believe raw is much better than prores in terma of grading possibilities. I found so much info in the highlights!

I'm working with the samsung 840 pro 256gb and it works fine in the production camera 4k. No drop frames I have done some tests recording to its full capacity in one shot RAW (19:30) and no drop frames. I have recorded multiple length shots and no drop frames in RAW
But in the playback in RAW (in camera) it freezes. but still no drop frames.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 9:37 pm

We're currently working on getting this list updated for the new 1.8 firmware.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Brad Walter

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 7:02 pm

I can tell you want not to add to your list of approved 4K Raw drives Kingston HyperX 3K drives, mine all dropped not just a frame here and there but whole batches of frames.

On that note does anyone want to buy a bunch of Kingston HyperX SSDs? They make really nice looking paper weights.

Brad Walter

PostSun Jun 29, 2014 8:54 pm

I have 3 Kingston HyperX 3K drives,

I started doing tests (4k Raw) with the 240 GB drive and it dropped frames like it was going out of style.

Put in one of my 480 GB drives and had no dropped frames.

Put in my second 480 GB drive and it behaved just like the 240 recording for about 10 seconds before dropping frames constant.

Needless to say I'm a bit nervous when two of the same drives will behave completely differently.

Is there any insight into why this would happen?

Thank you

Brad Walter

Curt Massof

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 2:48 pm

We are using the DIGISTOR DIG-PVD480S formatted as MAC OSX EXTENDED (Journaled) in our BM4K Production Camera.

So far, no issues with ProRes or RAW.
I shot about 300GB of RAW test footage, the longest clip being around 3 minutes, no dropped frames.
Cant comment on longer record times.
Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.3
Mac Pro (2019)
3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32 GB
Qnap Network Storage
Resolve 18.5 Studio

Second Rig: Macbook Pro
M1 Pro 16GB
Qnap Raid
Resolve 18.5 Studio

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Have you tried 24, 25, and 30 fps on the Digistors? What sizes were the Digistors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Luca Iasevoli

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 8:27 am

Zortose wrote:We are using the DIGISTOR DIG-PVD480S formatted as MAC OSX EXTENDED (Journaled) in our BM4K Production Camera.

I shot about 300GB of RAW test footage, the longest clip being around 3 minutes, no dropped frames.

did you have issues whit play back? in RAW and Prores?
with which fps did you record?

thanks
Luca Iasevoli
https://vimeo.com/lucaiasevoli

Curt Massof

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 6:45 pm

LUCAIASE wrote:
Zortose wrote:We are using the DIGISTOR DIG-PVD480S formatted as MAC OSX EXTENDED (Journaled) in our BM4K Production Camera.

did you have issues whit play back? in RAW and Prores?
with which fps did you record?

thanks

I do have RAW playback issues. I rarely use the camera playback so hadn't noticed that.
Everything looks good in Resolve (11 beta) and exported clips play smooth with no dropped frames.
I could playback ProRes 4k and 1080 in all frame rates with no problem prior to 1.8 but haven't tried since the update.

Haven't tried any other RAW recording frame rates yet. I've been shooting everything RAW at 23.98 or 24FPS.
I'll update after I try them.
Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.3
Mac Pro (2019)
96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Qnap Network Storage
Resolve 18.5 Studio

M1 Pro 16GB
Qnap Raid
Resolve 18.5 Studio

Curt Massof

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 6:47 pm

rick.lang wrote:Have you tried 24, 25, and 30 fps on the Digistors? What sizes were the Digistors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm using 480GB DIGISTORS. All RAW has been recorded at 24 or 23.98.
Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.3
Mac Pro (2019)
96 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Qnap Network Storage
Resolve 18.5 Studio

M1 Pro 16GB
Qnap Raid
Resolve 18.5 Studio

StephenCWalsh

PostFri Jul 11, 2014 4:58 am

This is probably a stupid question but what is the difference between Sandisk Extreme Pro and Extreme II SSDs? The feedback from the Sandisks in general is worryingly inconsistent, I don't know if that's down to some cases of incorrect use, or if they really are unreliable. But it doesn't seem to be an size issue, as I've noticed many of the drives approved by Blackmagic are the 7mm thickness. The Sandisks would have been my first choice but I can't find the original Extreme models anywhere. So my question is, out of the list of the other approved drives, which is actually the best? The Digistore sounds like the safest option but it is also the most expensive and hard to get here in Ireland. The Kingstons and Intels are more readily available but are they any good for 4K RAW?

Thanks,
Stephen

Dario Riccio

PostSun Jul 13, 2014 10:50 am

I've two Kingston ssdNOW V+200, that were supported by Blackmagic when I bought them. They work properly with the BlackMagic Cinema Camera, in RAW 2.5K too...

So, as I read in this topic, if I update the firmware to the 1.8 version I will have to delete these hard-disks and spend any more money? Why if the RAW bitrate is the same?

I'm sorry, but I do not understand.

Many thanks, Dario.
Dario Riccio | Editor • Filmmaker
New Star Movies s.n.c.
Via Numicia, 16
67031 Castel di Sangro - Italy
P.I. IT01871760664
http://www.newstarmovies.com

JoshRose

PostWed Jul 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Link just takes me to support home?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 12:03 am

I will look into this. Sorry for the confusion.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Nic Fay

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 5:07 am

Rather than making everyone wait till you've exhaustively tested every recent SSD on the market, could you at least advise a single 480GB model which works reliably with 4K RAW?

We waited too long for the camera, and many months for the firmware which finally delivers what you promised on the box.

Forget about Kingston, how about we start with Digistor?

Dave Perry

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 9:07 am

traction wrote:

Rather than making everyone wait till you've exhaustively tested every recent SSD on the market, could you at least advise a single 480GB model which works reliably with 4K RAW?

We waited too long for the camera, and many months for the firmware which finally delivers what you promised on the box.

Forget about Kingston, how about we start with Digistor?

I contacted Digistor directly and they said they are working on getting their drives certified by BMD right now. They will announce via their Facebook page when it's done.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Dario Riccio

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 11:18 am

Nobody knows if the 240 GB V+200 Kingston SSD works with the last Blackmagic Cinema Camera firmware update (1.8.2)?
Dario Riccio | Editor • Filmmaker
New Star Movies s.n.c.
Via Numicia, 16
67031 Castel di Sangro - Italy
P.I. IT01871760664
http://www.newstarmovies.com

Nehemiah Ellsperman

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 8:21 pm

The first three SSDs to be certified for 4K RAW are the:

240 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro
480 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro
960 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro

There will be a new list published on the website.
Nehemiah Ellsperman

Hardware Certification Technician
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Larry Masters

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Nehemiah Ellsperman wrote:The first three SSDs to be certified for 4K RAW are the:

And they come with a 10 year warranty too. Great news, I had just bought some of these before my 4K arrived.

Dave Perry

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Nehemiah Ellsperman wrote:The first three SSDs to be certified for 4K RAW are the:

Hi Nehemiah. I see that they are listed on the BMD web site but there is no distinction for drives that are certified for 4k raw. Also, these drives appear to require a spacer since they are 2mm thinner. The B&H listing for them does not show a spacer provided with the drives. Are there shims or spacers available from other manufacturers sold separately? I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on the purchase then decided to check the dimensions.

Thanks.

dp
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Dave Perry

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Larry Masters wrote:

And they come with a 10 year warranty too. Great news, I had just bought some of these before my 4K arrived.

Hey Larry, do they come with a spacer?
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Andy Dopieralski

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Dave Perry wrote:Hey Larry, do they come with a spacer?

Yes.
http://watch.yourlamefriends.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1504735/

Larry Masters

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 10:37 pm

Dave Perry wrote:Hey Larry, do they come with a spacer?

Yes and they fit well.

Lee Gauthier

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Nehemiah, are these the old Extreme Pros, or the new Extreme Pro II's?

Dave Perry

PostSat Jul 19, 2014 6:27 am

Lee Gauthier wrote:

Nehemiah, are these the old Extreme Pros, or the new Extreme Pro II's?

These are the SanDisk New Extreme Pros. There isn't an old SanDisk Extreme Pro but rather SanDisk Extreme and SanDisk Extreme II.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Lee Gauthier

PostSat Jul 19, 2014 6:40 am

Thanks.

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 19, 2014 3:02 pm

They may have passed testing, but this quote from Anandtech should give us some caution:

"The endurance remains unchanged from the Extreme II despite the doubled warranty. While 80TB should be enough for most users, I still would have liked to see higher endurance with the longer warranty. I think that the 10-year warranty is there just to differentiate the drive for marketing reasons, because if the Extreme Pro is used in (for example) professional video editing for ten years, the 80TB rating, or about 22GB a day, will not be sufficient. It appears SanDisk is betting that its target users will either replace the drive within a few years or the endurance limit will be hit after the warranty runs out, meaning that the 10-year warranty may not actually add any concrete value to the end-user. Of course it can still offer peace of mind for replacement drives, but I would give more value to the endurance rating when comparing high-end SSDs. "

Will be interesting to see what Digistor comes up with for endurance if and when their professional video SSD are certified for 4K.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

JustinWarren

PostSun Jul 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Hello there,

4K BMPC owner here. After trying the first few cards I owned that weren't the new Extreme Pros with lots of dropped frames shooting 4K Rawe, I picked up a couple 480GB Extreme Pros yesterday. I can now also attest that these work great--not a single dropped frame yet, and I even rolled out the whole card while shaking the camera and going handheld for 30 minutes straight. Can't get better than that!

I'm also extremely happy to see how much better the dynamic range is when shooting RAW on this camera. With "Highlight Recovery" turned on, viewing BMD Film in Resolve, I swear we're gaining a couple exra stops of latitude, seen dramatically in the highlights, and also more detail in the shadows. It's wonderful.

The storage for 4K Raw is really through the roof (1TB per hour, twice as much as Arriraw!), so I've been thinking of alternatives. I have a pretty robust 12-core DIT machine (Local 600 DIT here), and I'm thinking my workflow will most *often* be to transcode to Prores444 directly off the SSDs, and use those for my onlines.

Andy Dopieralski

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 3:42 pm

I doubt the answer is yes, but can anyone from BMD let us know if any SLC SSDs are being tested for certification? They have a full order of magnitude advantage over the MLC drives in terms of lifespan. I know they're much more expensive, but they tend to have better sustained read/write and a MTBF up to 2M hours. SuperSSPeed makes some that are somewhat affordable, so it'd be interesting to see if work is being done to certify them.
http://watch.yourlamefriends.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1504735/
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography