Update on Camera Shipments

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Edwin M

Re: Update on Camera Shipments

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 10:19 pm

GRACIAS!!!

Martin Scanlan

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks for this, exactly what we've asked for. Here's hoping that shipping gets back on track very soon.

Paolo Castellano

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Hello Grant,
I'm sorry for the problems, but sometimes problems may give you new opportunities; is it too late to switch to another CMOS supplier and so to a larger sensor ;-)
Ciao,

Paolo Castellano

Peter Östlund

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

I am sorry for the delay and all the trouble I am sure you have.
My plan for this fall was to get the camera and start testing and using it as soon as possible.
Since I am also into grading I have invested in all the stuff necessary for getting the daVinci to work smoothly (graphic cards, monitors etc).
As the camera is delayed I have been forced to switch and start with some grading jobs.
To be able to work fully with daVinci I need the dongle unlocking the program.
It has become a kind of double trouble for me since the dongle is supposed to arrive with the ordered camera.

My question to you Mr. Petty is as follows; is there any way to get the dongle while waiting for the camera?

Thanks and have a nice weekend

Peter Östlund fsf

Edwin M

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 5:07 pm

Today is Friday the new glasses?

Extrememedia

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks for the descriptive info. When did the manufacturing company of the sensors say for delivery on the new sensors and also how long will it take to produce cameras out your factory.
Just trying to get an estimated time frame and deliver me from this WONDER.

Stefan Longin

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 pm

to be honest: this is really poor putting the blame on the supplier. Nobody knows whether it's true or not and even if it's true it's still in BMD reponsibility. And also it does not match that BMD held their tongue when everybody asked for more infomation and now they blather about production details of other companies. BMD announced shipping in July, in August, end of August, September and it looks like they shipped some cameras to well known bloggers that everybody had the impression shipping had already begun. And now delay is fault of an unkown supplier.
S. Long

jasonxinzhou

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 6:19 am

slong wrote:to be honest: this is really poor putting the blame on the supplier. Nobody knows whether it's true or not and even if it's true it's still in BMD reponsibility. And also it does not match that BMD held their tongue when everybody asked for more infomation and now they blather about production details of other companies. BMD announced shipping in July, in August, end of August, September and it looks like they shipped some cameras to well known bloggers that everybody had the impression shipping had already begun. And now delay is fault of an unkown supplier.

You should canclel pre-order and choose another camera

Edwin M

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 8:50 am

which another camera? of $ 2,995 with 2.5 k

Luca Salvatori

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 9:55 am

Edwin M wrote:which another camera? of $ 2,995 with 2.5 k

which camera with ssd driver that record prores HQ in 4:2:2?

which camera with thunderbolt port?

which camera with built in SDI ports?
Cinematographer/Colorist

Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT 2.5K
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Panasonic HDC27H Varicam
Panasonic EVA1
Red Scarlet Dragon
Sony a7s

P+S Technik: 18/3 25/2.8 35/2 50/1.4 85/1.4

www.luca-salvatori.format.com

Eric Santiago

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Which camera with DNxHD ;)

Luca Salvatori

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 3:24 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:Which camera with DNxHD ;)

https://twitter.com/brawlster/status/251854100801679361/photo/1
Cinematographer/Colorist

Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT 2.5K
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Panasonic HDC27H Varicam
Panasonic EVA1
Red Scarlet Dragon
Sony a7s

P+S Technik: 18/3 25/2.8 35/2 50/1.4 85/1.4

www.luca-salvatori.format.com

Eric Santiago

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Luca Salvatori wrote:
Eric Santiago wrote:Which camera with DNxHD ;)

https://twitter.com/brawlster/status/251854100801679361/photo/1

Yep, Frank Glencairn mentioned that at <insert user site here> ;)

Edwin M

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 4:34 pm

yes, can be wonderful but not yet shipped .... :twisted:

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 5:28 pm

Considering all the delays, what do you think availability in the UK will be once it is finally released? (I haven't pre-ordered, should I? Prices listed on different websites seem to be very different :/)

Also, I hope the sensor company won't do anything half-baked and try to fix the broken sensors? :roll: Surely that must have been quite a big financial loss?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 6:10 pm

cschmeer wrote:Also, I hope the sensor company won't do anything half-baked and try to fix the broken sensors? :roll: Surely that must have been quite a big financial loss?

From what I read the sensors themselves are fine, the flaws were in the glass covering. It's entirely possible that removing the glass in a manufacturing clean room and replacing it with blemish free glass is fine. The glass company can't really fix the dodgy glass though it may be they have ways to recycle it. The likelihood is that the sensor glass can be cleanly replaced or it can't, sensor damage would likely be very obvious. Optical glass is expensive stuff, so the glass company's testing equipments bug may well have cost them quite a bit.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:
cschmeer wrote:Also, I hope the sensor company won't do anything half-baked and try to fix the broken sensors? :roll: Surely that must have been quite a big financial loss?

From what I read the sensors themselves are fine, the flaws were in the glass covering. It's entirely possible that removing the glass in a manufacturing clean room and replacing it with blemish free glass is fine. The glass company can't really fix the dodgy glass though it may be they have ways to recycle it. The likelihood is that the sensor glass can be cleanly replaced or it can't, sensor damage would likely be very obvious. Optical glass is expensive stuff, so the glass company's testing equipments bug may well have cost them quite a bit.

My fear is that this first batch will be using "fixed" sensors (dodgy glass removed, new glass added) and that the extra handling may cause problems e.g. dead pixels etc. :?

PS: That actually reminds me of something I wanted to ask: the 5D Mark II never had pixel remapping (for getting rid of hot or dead pixels) for video mode, only for still images. Will the BMCC have this kind of feature for video? Surely it's a software based thing?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 7:07 pm

cschmeer wrote:
Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:

My fear is that this first batch will be using "fixed" sensors (dodgy glass removed, new glass added) and that the extra handling may cause problems e.g. dead pixels etc. :?

PS: That actually reminds me of something I wanted to ask: the 5D Mark II never had pixel remapping (for getting rid of hot or dead pixels) for video mode, only for still images. Will the BMCC have this kind of feature for video? Surely it's a software based thing?

And a damaged sensor would fail The same QA process that caught the initial error. We know that part of the QA is fine it's earlier that it failed. If its possible to replace the glass at all then it's barely more dangerous than the initial manufactur of most sensors for most cameras.

John Brawley

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 11:24 pm

cschmeer wrote:

The BMCC has a routine that runs on startup that checks for dead pixels.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 11:30 pm

slong wrote:to be honest: this is really poor putting the blame on the supplier. Nobody knows whether it's true or not and even if it's true it's still in BMD reponsibility. And also it does not match that BMD held their tongue when everybody asked for more infomation and now they blather about production details of other companies. BMD announced shipping in July, in August, end of August, September and it looks like they shipped some cameras to well known bloggers that everybody had the impression shipping had already begun. And now delay is fault of an unkown supplier.

BMD shipped their very fist batch at the end of August, expecting production to ramp up from there. Then they discovered an issue with sensors that meant they had to chase down what that fault was from a third party. A fault that could have had multiple causes.

BMD had initial shipping in July, shipped in August a very few cameras before a production fault stopped them shipping more.

In my books they missed one shipping date, and waited until they knew the exact nature of the fault that stopped production. They DID mention a part issue when they stopped production and then followed up once they knew what the fault was.

What you're basically doing is accusing them of is lying and misleading their customers, without any facts to back this up.

Whilst we have to choose to take BMD's word over your own speculations, I think BMD have pretty much done and stuck to what they have said they would do.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Stefan Longin

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 7:59 am

John Brawley wrote:What you're basically doing is accusing them of is lying and misleading their customers, without any facts to back this up.

No, John, I don't accuse anybody to lie, and please be carefull what you allenge. I critize BMD's way of communication. You may see that from a different point but you are quite close to BMD and will probably have all information other people don't have. Talking about a supplier's fault is bad style, it's like if a cinematographer is excusing a spoiled shot by a mistake of his assistant.

I don't say anything about the camera. What I saw and heard sounds promising and could be a great deal. Finally I will find my own rating when the camera will be available. Let's wait when it will be..
S. Long

John Brawley

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 9:42 am

Grant Petty wrote:After more testing over the last few weeks, the supplier has discovered the blemishes are caused by a contamination from the packing materials used by the glass supplier to ship the glass to the sensor supplier.

slong wrote:to be honest: this is really poor putting the blame on the supplier. Nobody knows whether it's true or not

slong wrote:
No, John, I don't accuse anybody to lie, and please be carefull what you allenge.

You seem to not believe what BMD say. By saying that you don't know if it's true or not, you infer deception and that's what I took you to mean by your above quoted message.

That's your prerogative to do so of course.

I think they've communicated accurately when they've had the right information to report. Again, you've quoted more than one missed shipping date and I don't think that's accurate. It doesn't matter of course because they aren't shipping cameras right now, but they certainly DID ship cameras to customers and beta testers from the camera production line. I'm being pedantic, but I'm also making a point.

You're criticising their communication, but they have been accurate about what is happening when they know all the facts as far as I'm concerned.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 10:09 am

slong wrote:
John Brawley wrote:What you're basically doing is accusing them of is lying and misleading their customers, without any facts to back this up.

No, John, I don't accuse anybody to lie, and please be carefull what you allenge. I critize BMD's way of communication. You may see that from a different point but you are quite close to BMD and will probably have all information other people don't have. Talking about a supplier's fault is bad style, it's like if a cinematographer is excusing a spoiled shot by a mistake of his assistant.

I don't say anything about the camera. What I saw and heard sounds promising and could be a great deal. Finally I will find my own rating when the camera will be available. Let's wait when it will be..

Without telling us about the supplier error they couldn't have explained the problem, so to come up with a story that wasn't full of holes they would have had to fill the holes in with lies.

At no point did they try to absolve themselves of blame, by apologising you accept blame even if there is none that should fall on you. Here there is blame as mistakes of your suppliers are yours to.

A few people on this forum have forgotten that last point, they have booked themselves out for jobs with this camera and their suppliers have failed them because BM failed them because BMs suppliers supplier failed.

Toby Angwin

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 10:14 am

Honestly, John you should be congratulated for dealing with all of these posts in such a level headed way. And Grant and the rest of the Blackmagic team should be congratulated for still believing that forums may yield positive and informative discourse when they could just shut this down due to the high volume of crazy.

I'm looking forward to getting my camera whenever it arrives and am glad that so much care is being taken to get it right first time.

Cheers,

Toby Angwin
Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor

http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
@soupkitchen on Twitter
http://vimeo.com/soupkitchen

Noir

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 1:36 pm

slong wrote:
Talking about a supplier's fault is bad style, it's like if a cinematographer is excusing a spoiled shot by a mistake of his assistant.

In the case of the Cinema Camera the 'shot' was temporarily spoiled and I think the 'assistant' should and has admitted a mistake for the sole purpose of correcting it. I don't think it's got anything to do with style or blame. These are connotations that if applied would impede getting the job done. Like a previous reply, blame didn't even come into it until the word was mentioned. I found Grant Petty's explanation quite factual. I find John Brawley's perogative simpley more positive rather than biased.

slong wrote:

Yes, this is the final goal, regardless of who ruined the 'shot', fortunately temporarily in this case. And to look forward to great deals is definitely more positive, or at the very least giving the benefit of the doubt.

Bill Rich

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 5:28 pm

I agree with Toby!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Stefan Longin

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 6:04 pm

sorry guys I appoligize if I gave you the impression that I accused BMD of lying. This was not in my intention and my word choice obviously was capable of being misunderstood due I am not native english as you will have noticed. Please accept my apologies for not having made myself clear enough.

Nevertheless I am not happy with BMD's communication. I hope this is an expression in a polite ways which is my intention.
S. Long

John Waldorff

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks for the update on the progress!

This is what people appreciate a lot. Learning from projectkickstarter project and the like this level of communication is really what makes some companies stand out.

bhook

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 11:09 pm

The trouble with transparent communication is that you're never really done with it. Even now I am beginning to wonder about the new glass on the sensors. I'm ready for another communication. ;)

Edwin M

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 pm

mhood wrote:The trouble with transparent communication is that you're never really done with it. Even now I am beginning to wonder about the new glass on the sensors. I'm ready for another communication. ;)

+1

Edwin M

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 8:18 am

I'm ready for another communication.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Tom Sefton

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 2:54 pm

Another update would be good! :D

Does anyone from BM know if we are likely to receive them before Christmas? We ordered ours early enough to be on the first shipment (hopefully!)....I've got jobs queuing up to use with the camera too!
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Richard Wade

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Edwin M wrote:I'm ready for another communication.

It has been six days now and Petty's mention of a firmware coming out "in a few days"...

I too am ready for another communication, a comment on the possibility of an SDK would
be much appreciated.
The only real BMCC green screen test to date: https://vimeo.com/49238555

Jason Davis

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Richard Wade wrote:
Edwin M wrote:I'm ready for another communication.

It has been six days now and Petty's mention of a firmware coming out "in a few days"...

I too am ready for another communication, a comment on the possibility of an SDK would
be much appreciated.

Another communication would be nice, and while I am somewhat happy that we got the first one, hopefully the next one will say simply " sensors in, checked, installed, calibrated, shipping en masse "BTW what the heck did you do to get a warning?

Nick Bedford

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 6:19 am

I understand what's going on and why it'll be another little while, but I'm just getting tired of waiting.

It's now 125 days since I pre-ordered mine.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Dan Pears

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 7:06 am

Richard Wade wrote:It has been six days now and Petty's mention of a firmware coming out "in a few days"...

I'm pretty sure the firmware has been released to the select beta testers/bloggers. It has been mentioned IS and DNXHD functioning, so as far as I am aware, the firmware to be released in a few days, was released.

Edwin M

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 8:33 am

it's time to break the silence, I'm also tired of waiting for an answer and my camera

JO JO JO blackmagic camera for Christmas?

Margus Voll

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 8:39 am

i'd say some time in october or november maybe?
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 10:42 am

Margus Voll wrote:i'd say some time in october or november maybe?

Optimistic

Tom Sefton

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 am

My worry is that BM are having to withhold information about release dates because they understand it will be 2013 before most orders are fulfilled, which means many people (me included) would have to think seriously about cancelling their order and buying something else to assist with current projects....
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 am

Pollenstudio wrote:My worry is that BM are having to withhold information about release dates because they understand it will be 2013 before most orders are fulfilled, which means many people (me included) would have to think seriously about cancelling their order and buying something else to assist with current projects....

I have been thinking this for a while now... I'm glad someone else had the cojones to say it though:)

Rob Burgos

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Pollenstudio wrote:My worry is that BM are having to withhold information about release dates because they understand it will be 2013 before most orders are fulfilled, which means many people (me included) would have to think seriously about cancelling their order and buying something else to assist with current projects....

Anyone that can't wait, shouldn't. If you can, then when you get it, you get it. But if your school/work/life depend on it, look somewhere else.

You're all right. We aren't getting clear answers. So why wait if you really need it? I can wait, so I eagerly wait. I look for updates, but don't count on them. It would be nice to get this year but if it's 2013... so be it.
Rob Burgos
colorist/editor/producer
full circle post nyc

Edwin M

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 12:27 pm

The greatest concern is that information gets slow, I demand information, so excited when buying advertising and show, pay my black magic camera (with lenses, ssd disk, batteries and all toys CASH),  Thought it was a company serious, but that way of thinking I'm changing, 
I apologize for my bad English, my native language is Spanish (I hope I explained)

Margus Voll

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm

for me still worth to wait.

does not really matter if it takes month or many.

what are we after here is hi dynamic range and raw at really good price point.

it is worth to wait!
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Eric Santiago

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 pm

This is not the latest iPhone. If you needed a phone for work or for personal reasons you would have found an option by now.
This un-released phone maybe a game changer but its still a phone.
There are many phones that can call,text and heck even shoot video and surf the web.
If you really need that phone now, dont wait for this one.
It will be around 4 to 6 months from now sitting in a retail store or maybe used at half the price.
But come around then, another new phone will be announced so....rinse and repeat ;)
Last edited by Eric Santiago on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edwin M

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 pm

they had to do the show when the camera is ready to give happiness and tell the story slow the camera has problems

Richard Wade

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Dan Pears wrote:
Richard Wade wrote:It has been six days now and Petty's mention of a firmware coming out "in a few days"...

I'm pretty sure the firmware has been released to the select beta testers/bloggers. It has been mentioned IS and DNXHD functioning, so as far as I am aware, the firmware to be released in a few days, was released.

Hi Dan,

No offense...but I vividly remember almost word for word the exact same comments in regards to the original "Red Scarlet". Each time someone at RED would post a video of the Scarlet prototype, fawning comments of "It's just a matter of time/I'm holding off buying another camera/etc" would be made.

Also, to the detractors (like myself) who said "Don't count your chickens before..."
would be castigated/flamed and ultimately banned from the forums as "Someone who didn't know
what he was talking about"

Well...where's the 3K resolution Scarlet being sold for $3K?

My point is: Never assume anything. As far as I'm concerned,
the firmware (if it exists) won't be released until 2015...and it will only
contain the lowest quality version of DNxHD.

It's been a week now since Petty's update, and he mentioned
that they would receive glass last week. No update has been given to verify that.
No update on the firmware either. No update, nothing!

This is why I wrote my "Open letter to BM: Please release an SDK for the BMCC"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1383

If BM were to release an SDK for the BMCC...then the only people we could blame for
firmware deficiencies: is ourselves!

Thomas Läräng

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Richard please, you have destroyed almost every single thread that I first found interesting, don't destroy this one to. Constantly bringing up the same issues is not helping you nor your cause. Think about how you present things.

Richard Wade

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Thomas Läräng wrote:Richard please, you have destroyed almost every single thread that I first found interesting, don't destroy this one to. Constantly bringing up the same issues is not helping you nor your cause. Think about how you present things.

Hi Thomas,

You are more than welcome to add me to your "Foes" list, whereupon all my posts shall be rendered 'ignored'

It's right here in your User preferences.

ucp.php?i=zebra&mode=foes

For myself: I have done nothing to 'destroy' anything. Please show me where I have directly contributed
to the lack of communication from BM, lack of update in regards to hardware delays...and lack
of interest in regards to offering a solutions with the firmware issues.

H.C. Andersen:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1597/159 ... #2H_4_0001

Thomas Läräng

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks for listening. Still, think about how you present and debate around your ideas, it might help you.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography