Update on Camera Shipments

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Costa Louvieris

Re: Update on Camera Shipments

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Thomas Läräng wrote:Thanks for listening. Still, think about how you present and debate around your ideas, it might help you.

As annoying as he is, he has some valid points!

Margus Voll

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 3:16 pm

I bet the next info would be "we are there" that would matter?
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:I understand what's going on and why it'll be another little while, but I'm just getting tired of waiting. It's now 125 days since I pre-ordered mine.

Hi Nick: I hear you. Waiting sucks. But if you can stand it I encourage you to hang in here at least a bit longer. I think the "baby Alexa" will be worth waiting for, and beside, the "community" needs you. ;-)

Cheers.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 3:36 pm

Pollenstudio wrote:My worry is that BM are having to withhold information about release dates because they understand it will be 2013 before most orders are fulfilled, which means many people (me included) would have to think seriously about cancelling their order and buying something else to assist with current projects....

Um, it's now the first week of October, and some of you are talking about "2013", which is 3 full months away?

Sure, anything's possible, but if the BMCC-EF doesn't start shipping (again) until "2013", I'll eat one of Marc Hood's flip-flops! :-)

Cheers.

bhook

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Sure, anything's possible, but if the BMCC-EF doesn't start shipping (again) until "2013", I'll eat one of Marc Hood's flip-flops! :-)

Have you seen my feet? Trust me, you don't want to eat one of my flip-flops. ;-)

Seriously though, if they give the C100 enough time to ship ahead of the BMC and the C100 actually produces C300 footage with a HyperDeck on the C100 HDMI output, then lots of folks might jump ship. I mean, a year from now used BMCs might be available for $1000 if you're still interested...In the meantime (at least in November) you could be working hard with some knockout C100 footage with gr8 in-camera audio.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Richard Wade wrote:... This is why I wrote my "Open letter to BM: Please release an SDK for the BMCC"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1383

If BM were to release an SDK for the BMCC...then the only people we could blame for firmware deficiencies: is ourselves!

Hi Richard: As I wrote in your thread, I strongly support the idea of a SDK for the BMCC; in fact, I posted about the same idea on the "other" BMCC-related forum some time ago.

But in fairness to folks participating in this thread (the "Update on Camera Shipments" thread), it would be great if you could limit your comments to the thread topic.

Also, as much as you & I (and at least a few others) think an SDK for the BMCC would be a huge deal, when it gets down to it, it's really just another worthy "feature request" for BMD to consider. As a feature request it belongs on the the thread here for that purpose:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=265

It would be unfortunate if BMD and others decide not to support the SDK idea because they feel you're making your point too strongly, out of spite (them being spiteful, not you). We're talking about humans here, and stranger things have happened.

We've requested an SDK, BMD has "heard" our request, now let it go. Hopefully they'll act on it when/if they have time.

Cheers.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 4:32 pm

mhood wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Sure, anything's possible, but if the BMCC-EF doesn't start shipping (again) until "2013", I'll eat one of Marc Hood's flip-flops! :-)

Have you seen my feet? Trust me, you don't want to eat one of my flip-flops. ;-)

Seriously though, if they give the C100 enough time to ship ahead of the BMC and the C100 actually produces C300 footage with a HyperDeck on the C100 HDMI output, then lots of folks might jump ship. I mean, a year from now used BMCs might be available for $1000 if you're still interested...In the meantime (at least in November) you could be working hard with some knockout C100 footage with gr8 in-camera audio.

:D

There's a bunch of ifs in your post, but I agree: The C100 is one of several cameras vying for folks' attention. Same as it ever was. Personally I haven't seen anything else for ~$3K US that interests me other than the BMCC. It's cool if other folks may feel differently.

It remains to be seen how good (or not) the C100's HDMI output actually is, but I'm sure it's good enough for many applications.

However, as you know the C100 lists for more than twice the price of the BMCC, so it's a bit of an apples & oranges comparison. At that price, the C100 ought to be much more capable than the BMCC.

bhook

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:At that price, the C100 ought to be much more capable than the BMCC.

In several ergonomic, aural and workflow ways, it is. ;)

BMD really needs to get the BMC delivered...

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 5:08 pm

mhood wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:At that price, the C100 ought to be much more capable than the BMCC.

Well, since neither is currently shipping it's kinda a moot point, unfortunately.

mhood wrote:... BMD really needs to get the BMC delivered ...

You don't say? :-)

bhook

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
mhood wrote:

Well, since neither is currently shipping it's kinda a moot point, unfortunately.

If I were a betting man, it might be time to place wagers as to which horse will win. :D

I have a good feeling that Canon will deliver the C100 in November...I'm really not so sure about the BMC.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 8:30 pm

mhood wrote:If I were a betting man, it might be time to place wagers as to which horse will win. :D

I have a good feeling that Canon will deliver the C100 in November...I'm really not so sure about the BMC.

I haven't followed the C100 closely enough to place a bet on when it's likely to be readily available, but I'll start to get depressed if I don't have my BMCC by November.

BTW, my being depressed is a bit like your Texas hissy-fit, only more politically correct. :D

Eric Santiago

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Still cant fathom the C100s price tag.
If I was that hard-up for HD, I would just grab one of our XDCAMs and think happy thoughts :P

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Canon make deadlines when they announce them, BMD do not...

Mark de Jeu

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Costa wrote:Canon make deadlines when they announce them, BMD do not...

Google 'canon delayed release date' and start following the links. And those are from a camera company with lots of experience manufacturing cameras and lenses...
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

danap

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 9:08 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:Still cant fathom the C100s price tag.
If I was that hard-up for HD, I would just grab one of our XDCAMs and think happy thoughts :P

I think the C100 price tag will implode quite soon.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 9:15 pm

danap wrote:Hmmmm....this thread smells infantile male patterns of narcissist self-infatuation and late severance symptoms in this thread. Wake up boys – it' s only a box you are waiting and yearning for.

Big words! Thanks, dad!

Can I borrow the keys to the car tonight? :D

Nick Bedford

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:I understand what's going on and why it'll be another little while, but I'm just getting tired of waiting. It's now 125 days since I pre-ordered mine.

Hi Nick: I hear you. Waiting sucks. But if you can stand it I encourage you to hang in here at least a bit longer. I think the "baby Alexa" will be worth waiting for, and beside, the "community" needs you. ;-)

Cheers.

Oh, I intend to wait :D This is the only camera for the price it is that I want. It produces the best source footage for $3,000. I'll admit I have high standards for my own work, and having a camera that isn't going to produce mud is part of that equation. I just upgraded from a 60D to a 5DIII and it was well worth it. It didn't change the way I light or compose my portraits. That stuff is irrelevant to the camera. What it did do is give me a more professional quality raw file (dynamic range, resolution, noise) and a shallower depth of field to work with (which I'm still getting used to).

So when people say, "Just settle for second best," I say, "No thanks!"

But I am tired of waiting for this camera.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Edwin M

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 10:55 pm

youtube suggestions

Tom Sefton

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am

Um, it's now the first week of October, and some of you are talking about "2013", which is 3 full months away?

Sure, anything's possible, but if the BMCC-EF doesn't start shipping (again) until "2013", I'll eat one of Marc Hood's flip-flops!

You my friend, have a bet. If I don't receive my camera before December 31st 2012 you have to chew a used flip flop (with video/stills provided of you tucking in to said meal). I ordered mine in late May, I've paid a full deposit and my retailer has told me I am first in the queue for any stock they receive.

If I do get it in time, I will shoot a full days footage around Yorkshire for you (with the camera) - free to use as production rushes. To be sent in whatever format you choose, on Blu-Ray data discs.

Deal?
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 8:27 am

Pollenstudio wrote:Um, it's now the first week of October, and some of you are talking about "2013", which is 3 full months away?

Sure, anything's possible, but if the BMCC-EF doesn't start shipping (again) until "2013", I'll eat one of Marc Hood's flip-flops!

You my friend, have a bet. If I don't receive my camera before December 31st 2012 you have to chew a used flip flop (with video/stills provided of you tucking in to said meal). I ordered mine in late May, I've paid a full deposit and my retailer has told me I am first in the queue for any stock they receive.

If I do get it in time, I will shoot a full days footage around Yorkshire for you (with the camera) - free to use as production rushes. To be sent in whatever format you choose, on Blu-Ray data discs.

Deal?

Where did you order from? I pr-ordered the day after announcement and I'm 45 in line! You didn't order until MAY and you are FIRST in line? Wow.

Tom Sefton

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 am

3DBroadcastsales at Pinewood Studios
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 am

Pollenstudio wrote:3DBroadcastsales at Pinewood Studios

hmm their just around the corner from me... have you had good experience from them? Anmyways... back on topic! Latest update please?

Edwin M

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 9:19 am

you have to know about blackmagic cinema camera (in spanish, google translate)

actual price of the camera for a good performance

http://www.cinedigital.tv/que-tienes-qu ... ma-camera/

any news of the updates?

Tom Sefton

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 9:44 am

Costa wrote:
Pollenstudio wrote:3DBroadcastsales at Pinewood Studios

hmm their just around the corner from me... have you had good experience from them? Anmyways... back on topic! Latest update please?

We've bought the odd piece of lighting and grip equipment from them and they have been great.

With the BMC they have kept in touch and tried to update us asap. Can't fault them at all.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Eric Santiago

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 12:04 pm

A friend is first in line and but ordered in mid Sept.
Its depends on the vendor of course.

Edwin M

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 12:33 pm

I'll cancel my order and I will change by a Sony NEX fs100

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 12:35 pm

Its all well and good being first in line with a smaller retailer, but my understanding is that the official approved BMD resellers will get their stock direct from BMD, before '3rd party' retailers who get their stock from a distributor. Essentially, if this is correct, this means that preorders from approved resellers will likely be fulfilled first.
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

brilliantimage

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Here are the facts for those orders placed at B&H in USA. B&H are closed at this time and they will be opening Oct 10Th. Which means that if they receive shipment from BM, they may begin processing orders maybe the 12th. Depending on where you are in line, your shipping may be placed on the UPS truck on 13th. Give it about 3 business days to get to your door step. So we are talking of getting your camera the earliest after October 25th.

If you are number 100+ in line, we are talking about getting your camera maybe November!

This scenario only applies in "a perfect world" if BM have shipped the camera within this week! Given that we have not heard any new official development from BM, that means, nothing is working right now ("they are doing the best as they can")! They are still waiting for the sensor!

I wish I had customers in my business that were this patient like the blackmagic customers!
Julius Barnabas

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 3:49 pm

brilliantimage wrote: I wish I had customers in my business that were this patient like the blackmagic customers!

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Pollenstudio wrote:Um, it's now the first week of October, and some of you are talking about "2013", which is 3 full months away?

Deal?

Awesome. Let's do it. Because my not getting the BMCC-EF I pre-ordered in mid-April (as soon as it was possible to pre-order from Texas Media Systems) before 2013 is too depressing for me to contemplate. :D

bhook

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Deal?

Awesome. Let's do it. Because my not getting the BMCC-EF I pre-ordered in mid-April (as soon as it was possible to pre-order from Texas Media Systems) before 2013 is too depressing for me to contemplate. :D

Just something for Peter to consider: I don't wear flip flops...I wear Crocs. How do you like your rubber cooked? :lol:

Just in case BMD might misinterpret this OT diversion from the desire for an update: YOU MENTIONED DAYS LAST UPDATE. IT'S NOW BEEN OVER A WEEK. WEEK > DAYS. MONTH > WEEKS. WHAT'S THE STATUS ON THE CLEAN GLASS, THE DELIVERY OF THE GOOD BATCH OF SENSORS AND THE "DAY" IT WILL TAKE YOU TO START SHIPPING IN "VOLUME"?
Last edited by bhook on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Deal?

I think you better start contemplating my friend:)

Edwin M

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:31 pm

YOU MENTIONED DAYS LAST UPDATE. IT'S NOW BEEN OVER A WEEK. WEEK > DAYS. MONTH > WEEKS. WHAT'S THE STATUS ON THE CLEAN GLASS, THE DELIVERY OF THE GOOD BATCH OF SENSORS AND THE "DAY" IT WILL TAKE YOU TO START SHIPPING IN "VOLUME"?

+1

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Costa wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Awesome. Let's do it. Because my not getting the BMCC-EF I pre-ordered in mid-April (as soon as it was possible to pre-order from Texas Media Systems) before 2013 is too depressing for me to contemplate. :D

I think you better start contemplating my friend:)

My will to live thus be vapors if BMCC-EF not be mine by 2013, so eat I must a char-broiled Croc New Years morn, I care not.

:-)
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke Armstrong

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Yeah that would hurt their credibility quite a bit if they were unable to deliver preorders before 2013. That's over 5 months late!
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm

mhood wrote:... Just in case BMD might misinterpret this OT diversion from the desire for an update: YOU MENTIONED DAYS LAST UPDATE. IT'S NOW BEEN OVER A WEEK. WEEK > DAYS. MONTH > WEEKS. WHAT'S THE STATUS ON THE CLEAN GLASS, THE DELIVERY OF THE GOOD BATCH OF SENSORS AND THE "DAY" IT WILL TAKE YOU TO START SHIPPING IN "VOLUME"?

Do I sense a Texas-style hissy fit coming on?

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

:-)

bhook

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 5:01 pm

See what they've done? Now they've gone and upset me. :lol:

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 5:14 pm

mhood wrote:See what they've done? Now they've gone and upset me. :lol:

That's nothing.

Just in this morning's posts alone, I've invoked Bill Clinton, Shakespeare, and Seinfeld -- and made BMD's Christine Peterson laugh -- but still we don't have a new BMCC status update to show for it.

:lol:

Eric Santiago

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 5:15 pm

mhood wrote:See what they've done? Now they've gone and upset me. :lol:

That's nothing.

Just in this morning's posts alone, I've invoked Bill Clinton, Shakespeare, and Seinfeld -- and made BMD's Christine Peterson laugh -- but still we don't have a new BMCC status update to show for it.

:lol:

I would love to make Christine laugh.
But I'm in the dog house of late so I will be shush for now ;)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 5:21 pm

This being the internet, I wonder if "Christine Peterson" and "Terry Frechette" are actually the same person? :D

Joking!!!

(Again: Not that there's anything wrong with that!)
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhook

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 5:23 pm

I really like Terry's new avatar...

Christine Peterson

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 5:46 pm

Haha, oh you guys... :)

Honestly though, I am a real person, I promise! And we will give you another update when we can.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 5:48 pm

In fairness, and to scare the children, I've uploaded a photo of "me" so I now have an avatar. Apologies in advance.

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:Haha, oh you guys... :)

Honestly though, I am a real person, I promise! And we will give you another update when we can.

I'm guessing the glass not been delivered from the supplier and started processing... even that would be an update?

bhook

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Costa wrote:I'm guessing the glass not been delivered from the supplier and started processing... even that would be an update?

Especially that would be an update IMO.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Costa wrote:I'm guessing the glass not been delivered from the supplier and started processing... even that would be an update?

Hi "Costa": Perhaps sometime after you use "your" full name (per BMD's forum rules) and post an avatar photo of "you", BMD will post a new BMCC status "update"?

Just a theory. :D

Costa Louvieris

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi "Costa": Perhaps sometime after you use "your" full name (per BMD's forum rules) and post an avatar photo of "you", BMD will post a new BMCC status "update"?

Just a theory. :D

They want me to post a photo to get a reply? And that doesn't seem odd to you? Anyways, my name is Costa Louvieris... you won't need a picture (trust me you don't WANT one!) as there is only currently one Costa Louvieris living in the world, so it won't be hard for BMD to find me and break my knee caps to keep me quiet;) All joking aside... would they like my credit card information and bank details too?

OK, that was the last joke honest! Asking for an update isn't beyond the realms of an honest question and a likely question to ask in this topic:)
Last edited by Costa Louvieris on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Sefton

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 6:39 pm

mhood wrote:

Deal?

Just something for Peter to consider: I don't wear flip flops...I wear Crocs. How do you like your rubber cooked? :lol:

Just in case BMD might misinterpret this OT diversion from the desire for an update: YOU MENTIONED DAYS LAST UPDATE. IT'S NOW BEEN OVER A WEEK. WEEK > DAYS. MONTH > WEEKS. WHAT'S THE STATUS ON THE CLEAN GLASS, THE DELIVERY OF THE GOOD BATCH OF SENSORS AND THE "DAY" IT WILL TAKE YOU TO START SHIPPING IN "VOLUME"?

This is going to be so sweet. I'd prefer it of you sautéed the croc with some butter and salt and pepper, but it's up to you.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

bhook

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:In fairness, and to scare the children, I've uploaded a photo of "me" so I now have an avatar. Apologies in advance.

OK, you asked for it...there it is. See...just like Jerry Garcia...at least that's what all the Chinese thought. I must have had a hundred pictures taken of me that day. :D

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 7:29 pm

Costa wrote:They want me to post a photo to get a reply? And that doesn't seem odd to you? Anyways, my name is Costa Louvieris... you won't need a picture (trust me you don't WANT one!) as there is only currently one Costa Louvieris living in the world, so it won't be hard for BMD to find me and break my knee caps to keep me quiet;) All joking aside... would they like my credit card information and bank details too?

OK, that was the last joke honest! Asking for an update isn't beyond the realms of an honest question and a likely question to ask in this topic:)

BMD has only requested we post using our "real" full names. Just because it's the polite thing to do, and anyway, on the internet, you can have any name you wish. :D

Posting a photo for your avatar was just my suggestion, and it would be great to "meet" you here (as it were), although if your business wardrobe can't beat Christine's, maybe not so much. :lol:

(Please send your credit card information and bank details to me via a PM. Thanks.)

But to be serious, yes: I agree, a weekly BMCC status update from BMD would be very much welcomed by me. Even if the news is not all good, or not much change since the previous week, or technical verging on nerdy, I'm all ears.

Cheers.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography